2020 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 827 comments
Great idea in theory, and I’m all for it but it would be a massive expense to some of the smaller Super2 teams. It would have to be an optional race to compete in.

I just wish V8s would open the door all the way. Encourage all teams to enter at the big circuits like Bathurst and The Bend.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/05/13/opinion-supercars-team-owners-have-big-decisions-to-make/

Unpopular opinion: reset to TCM being the Supercars series. Just need a driver and a couple mechanics at most. Go back to driving your car to the track, racing it and driving home.

Just me ranting, but the TCM, Tasman and NZ series are/were doing fine with old muscle. Multiple classes, all brands, people would pay to see it.

Unless, Supercars switch to Trans Am cars, can't see teams racing in the future. This is just me.

Rumor has it that Peter Adderton of Boost is waiting in the wings to buy out the REC and replace Davison with Adderton's friend James Courtney. Would be a massive shame if that happened as I'd rate Davison over Courtney.

I'm not surprised to hear of teams in financial trouble. I hate to say it but 23Red might not be the only one. At least half of the grid are not in good shape financially (and that was before Covid) and the events of the last few months have compounded those financial issues. Throw in Holden leaving and the series TV deal up for renewal at end of year (with the current FTA broadcaster not wanting to extend and the cable TV provider deeeeep in debt) and the series faces some big challenges in the next six months.

I'm not surprised to hear of teams in financial trouble. I hate to say it but 23Red might not be the only one. At least half of the grid are not in good shape financially (and that was before Covid) and the events of the last few months have compounded those financial issues. Throw in Holden leaving and the series TV deal up for renewal at end of year (with the current FTA broadcaster not wanting to extend and the cable TV provider deeeeep in debt) and the series faces some big challenges in the next six months.
There's also the series sponsor Virgin Australia in voluntary administration.

Big challenges ahead alright :nervous:

There's also the series sponsor Virgin Australia in voluntary administration.

Big challenges ahead alright :nervous:

Thats not as big as a deal as it could be. The sponsorship is believed to be in the form of free freight for the teams in the series ~ $1.5m a year. Its not a good outcome as the teams will now have to pay for freight and flights themselves but given the events this year they won't be paying much for that :lol:

This was posted on facebook last night by someone who is right more times then wrong about various happenings in the championship. Even if they get half of this wrong its still very bad news for the series. I'd heard rumors of Penske pulling out even before Covid hit so this is nothing new to me on this point.

From the DSO

OK, so no more stuffing around.
Here is what I know, some of it will be proven right, some maybe not.

1) Peter Adderton has bought the 23 Red REC, and the 2 Mustang's owned by Phil Munday.

2) James Courtney will be driving a Mustang, with Boost sponsorship for the remainder of the 2020 season. The car will be run on a similar prep deal out of Tickford.

3) Almost definitely four, but as many as seven cars won’t make it back when the Supercars season re-commences.

Macca Jones & Jack Smith (Smith to S5000), both Team Sydney cars, gone according to my spies.

Also hearing that possibly both Charlie Forklift (this one I doubt) and the Kelly’s are still deciding. (all pending sponsors commitments)

4) For the remainder of 2020, Supercars are contracted to run a minimum 24 car grid, for Foxtel, so the shortfall will be made up by Super 2 teams.
emoji50.png
(coz they’re all so cashed up, hey ?
emoji849.png
)

5) Sprint races will be run on a new format, with no pitstops… (team number restrictions also will dictate this)

6) Scotty Mac was US bound, but now it seems Penske won't be running a 4th Indycar in 2021.

7) Penske were planning on closing the doors at DJRTP at the end of the year. (and probably still will
emoji6.png
) **

8) Anton DePasquale had signed a deal with DJRTP to replace Scotty Mac (before they decided to leave the Dr, high and dry) **

9) Courtney had an in-principal agreement to run a third Erebus car, as a Wildcard, for as many races as possible, with Boost sponsorship (see point 2)

10) Anton might end up staying in a third Erebus car next year, as Dave & IFWB are both locked. **

11) Ross Palmer recently told a friend of mine that Supercars is almost $70M in debt (currently)
If anyone knows about going up, it's Ross.

12) I can't actually believe that both Anton and Scotty are potentially without a drive in 2021. **

13) I personally don't think Supercars will survive the current crisis, maybe not even the year.

They have crafted themselves as an event promoter and are now contractually obligated to run events for TV, but will lose vast amounts of money running them in front of no paying customers.

** see point 13…

Well, almost time for me to close the page and retire.
I think I'll have ruffled some feathers with this post.
#SoMeWatch
#PeaceOut

Not for nothing, but I haven't even watched the E-series. I'm too busy racing my own races in GTSPORT, AC & PC2.

Don't know what could interest me about this series in the future.

Thats not as big as a deal as it could be. The sponsorship is believed to be in the form of free freight for the teams in the series ~ $1.5m a year. Its not a good outcome as the teams will now have to pay for freight and flights themselves but given the events this year they won't be paying much for that :lol:
This is what I read the deal was supposed to be.... but as you say, they won't be using much for travel/freight now.
Speedcafe.com understands Supercars’ deal with Virgin Australia is worth $1.5 million per annum in contra at discounted ticket rates, and each team gets $35,000 in contra per car.

It is believed Supercars senior management, team owners, and all previous champions also have access to Virgin’s private VIP facility called ‘The Club’.
Gotta love those bonuses for the high flyers :rolleyes:.... and all previous champions.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/04/21/supercars-sponsor-virgin-australia-in-voluntary-administration/

This was posted on facebook last night by someone who is right more times then wrong about various happenings in the championship. Even if they get half of this wrong its still very bad news for the series. I'd heard rumors of Penske pulling out even before Covid hit so this is nothing new to me on this point.
The days of Supercars are definitely numbered... They are screwed. A fundamental rethink is required for the series to continue past this point. It cannot carry on like this; it's no longer sustainable.

Slightly disappointed they booted the 12Hr aside just so they could have a second race at Bathurst.
It's still planned to run along side the Supercar event.
At this stage the Bathurst 12 Hour has not been cancelled and Supercars plans to run it in conjunction with the season finale at Mount Panorama.

However, there is still some doubt surrounding that GT endurance race given the international travel restrictions currently in place due to the coronavirus.

"The Bathurst 12 Hour is a key marquee for us and we love going there every year and holding that event," Seamer said.

"The reality is it's reliant on a lot of international competitors. So our number one focus is putting a stake in the ground to get Supercars there and as we start to build a competitor base and we've got a better line of sight with the GT category and we work through some more planning with the SRO in Europe, we'll be able to give people a more complete picture about how that event may shape up.

"Restrictions will be eased over time, we'll be compliant with those restrictions. Ultimately international visitation is something for the federal government to decide."
https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/...ost-a-great-race-and-supercars-season-finale/

I just hope that spectators will be allowed at The Bend.
Hopefully they can at the very least open the park'n'view section, but if they limit the numbers appropriately there's also plenty of half decent spots to view from the comfort of your own car that aren't designated park'n'view spots. At the TCR events and Supercars test day we could park *anywhere we liked*... it was great! It would give the event a real ol' school feel too (like the good old days at tracks like Mallala).

*I mean anywhere we liked not just where we were allowed too. I directed my wife right out to the back of the track to show her the full circuit which was way past the barriers to stop vehicles from venturing. It also started a trend of other more adventurous types doing the same thing :embarrassed::D.

Man, it’s wild to think that Courtney has been without a seat for this long and hadn’t even missed a race. Imagine if he (and it’s a long shot) won the championship!

But but isn't will YOUNGER than JC?

Sadly Will doesn't have a sponsor behind him.
Man, it’s wild to think that Courtney has been without a seat for this long and hadn’t even missed a race. Imagine if he (and it’s a long shot) won the championship!

Assuming things stay the same. It's funny to think that Jack Perkins will be JC's co-driver. Strange how things work out.

Slightly disappointed they booted the 12Hr aside just so they could have a second race at Bathurst.

The 12 Hour won’t really have the same excitement about it without the international teams imo. Unless some Supercars teams were to step up and run some GT3 cars, there aren’t really enough truly quality GT teams in Aus. They could open up some more of the lower classes maybe?

One factor too is that supposedly (I don’t know if this 100% true) NSW are contracted to have the final round, so the only realistic choices are SMP or Bathurst.

Back