Touring Cars 2020 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Spacegoat, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

Great idea in theory, and I’m all for it but it would be a massive expense to some of the smaller Super2 teams. It would have to be an optional race to compete in.

2. 05XR8

05XR8

I just wish V8s would open the door all the way. Encourage all teams to enter at the big circuits like Bathurst and The Bend.

3. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

With Ambrose on the gird for the eseries this week. Is there anyway someone could get a sim setup to Greg Murphy's house in time? :sly:

CLowndes888 and noshog like this.
  4. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

5. 05XR8

05XR8

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/05/13/opinion-supercars-team-owners-have-big-decisions-to-make/

Unpopular opinion: reset to TCM being the Supercars series. Just need a driver and a couple mechanics at most. Go back to driving your car to the track, racing it and driving home.

Just me ranting, but the TCM, Tasman and NZ series are/were doing fine with old muscle. Multiple classes, all brands, people would pay to see it.

Unless, Supercars switch to Trans Am cars, can't see teams racing in the future. This is just me.

6. Litening1

Litening1

FPV MIC and notsofast like this.
  7. notsofast

notsofast

Rumor has it that Peter Adderton of Boost is waiting in the wings to buy out the REC and replace Davison with Adderton's friend James Courtney. Would be a massive shame if that happened as I'd rate Davison over Courtney.

I'm not surprised to hear of teams in financial trouble. I hate to say it but 23Red might not be the only one. At least half of the grid are not in good shape financially (and that was before Covid) and the events of the last few months have compounded those financial issues. Throw in Holden leaving and the series TV deal up for renewal at end of year (with the current FTA broadcaster not wanting to extend and the cable TV provider deeeeep in debt) and the series faces some big challenges in the next six months.

FPV MIC, Spacegoat and Litening1 like this.
  8. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Litening1 and FPV MIC like this.
  9. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

There's also the series sponsor Virgin Australia in voluntary administration.

Big challenges ahead alright :nervous:

notsofast and Litening1 like this.
  10. notsofast

notsofast

Thats not as big as a deal as it could be. The sponsorship is believed to be in the form of free freight for the teams in the series ~ $1.5m a year. Its not a good outcome as the teams will now have to pay for freight and flights themselves but given the events this year they won't be paying much for that :lol:

This was posted on facebook last night by someone who is right more times then wrong about various happenings in the championship. Even if they get half of this wrong its still very bad news for the series. I'd heard rumors of Penske pulling out even before Covid hit so this is nothing new to me on this point.

FPV MIC likes this.
  11. 05XR8

05XR8

Not for nothing, but I haven't even watched the E-series. I'm too busy racing my own races in GTSPORT, AC & PC2.

Don't know what could interest me about this series in the future.

12. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

This is what I read the deal was supposed to be.... but as you say, they won't be using much for travel/freight now.
    Gotta love those bonuses for the high flyers :rolleyes:.... and all previous champions.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/04/21/supercars-sponsor-virgin-australia-in-voluntary-administration/

notsofast likes this.
  13. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

The days of Supercars are definitely numbered... They are screwed. A fundamental rethink is required for the series to continue past this point. It cannot carry on like this; it's no longer sustainable.

L8 Apex and notsofast like this.
  14. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

15. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

FPV MIC likes this.
  16. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

A mate of mine just sent me this,
    Screenshot_20200517-073750.png

Spacegoat and FPV MIC like this.
  17. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Slightly disappointed they booted the 12Hr aside just so they could have a second race at Bathurst.

18. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

It's still planned to run along side the Supercar event.
    https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/...ost-a-great-race-and-supercars-season-finale/

Spacegoat likes this.
  19. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Spacegoat and FPV MIC like this.
  20. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

I just hope that spectators will be allowed at The Bend.

bjl23 and FPV MIC like this.
  21. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

Hopefully they can at the very least open the park'n'view section, but if they limit the numbers appropriately there's also plenty of half decent spots to view from the comfort of your own car that aren't designated park'n'view spots. At the TCR events and Supercars test day we could park *anywhere we liked*... it was great! It would give the event a real ol' school feel too (like the good old days at tracks like Mallala).

*I mean anywhere we liked not just where we were allowed too. I directed my wife right out to the back of the track to show her the full circuit which was way past the barriers to stop vehicles from venturing. It also started a trend of other more adventurous types doing the same thing :O:D.

22. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

23. 05XR8

05XR8

But but isn't will YOUNGER than JC?

24. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

Man, it’s wild to think that Courtney has been without a seat for this long and hadn’t even missed a race. Imagine if he (and it’s a long shot) won the championship!

Spacegoat likes this.
  25. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Sadly Will doesn't have a sponsor behind him.
    Assuming things stay the same. It's funny to think that Jack Perkins will be JC's co-driver. Strange how things work out.

26. LumpiestFish

LumpiestFish

The 12 Hour won’t really have the same excitement about it without the international teams imo. Unless some Supercars teams were to step up and run some GT3 cars, there aren’t really enough truly quality GT teams in Aus. They could open up some more of the lower classes maybe?

One factor too is that supposedly (I don’t know if this 100% true) NSW are contracted to have the final round, so the only realistic choices are SMP or Bathurst.

Spacegoat likes this.
  27. 05XR8

05XR8

Finally get the GT4 owners out to race. Seeing as the 6H is missed.

28. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Rick's setup has come a long way. Little disappointing that he didn't keep the camping chair though.

[​IMG]

L8 Apex likes this.
  29. Litening1

Litening1

I think we should bring back the Thunderdome after that race

Spacegoat likes this.
  30. 05XR8

05XR8

Those racers that lost their sponsors, could learn a bit by following this guy.

Spacegoat likes this.