2020 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 827 comments
That Waters/Davison combo is going to be really strong. I'm calling at least a podium for that car as long as they can stay out of trouble.

That Waters/Davison combo is going to be really strong. I'm calling at least a podium for that car as long as they can stay out of trouble.
I don't want to them to win but I fear that they will if everything goes their way. You essentially have two main-game drivers sharing the car like the old days - they have more strategy options available and can share the load more evenly. This is unlike say Mostert and Luff, where Luff will get out of the car as soon as he's done the minimum number of laps. Waters and Davison won't need to do this; that's what makes them a formidable combination.

Rational prediction:
1. Waters/Davison
2. Van Gisbergen/Tander
3. McLaughlin/Slade

Bold Prediction:
1. Reynolds/Brown
2. Mostert/Luff
3. Heimgartner/O'Keefe

Strongest car outside of the two Red Bulls and the #17, imo. Anything can happen and I'm probably doing David Reynolds a disservice considering how quick he has been at Bathurst the past few years but I think it's going to be a battle between those four cars.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how this layout goes this weekend. Looks as thought they’re not worrying so much about the track at the new turn 6, if they did, the track would’ve been too narrow for it be a decent overtaking opportunity.

The camera for turn 6 is much better this weekend, should’ve had it for the other layout as well, can see the positioning of the cars much better.

I’m surprised to see a dry track, considering it has pretty much been raining on and off for the last 24 hours in Adelaide.

That lap from Waters is going to take some serious beating. Impressive stuff from Le Brocq as well.

Edit: So McLaughlin wraps up the the title this weekend?

Edit II: Well, that was fairly uneventful.

Last edited:
Did anyone catch Skaife's apparent suggestion that SVG punt SM so JW could close up in the championship? I keep seeing references to it on social media but can't find it. If it's true he should be sacked. His constant derogatory comments and talking down to his coworkers should have been enough but this takes it to another level.

Last edited:
More entertaining race this time around at least from the bottom end of the top ten down.
Did anyone catch Skaife's apparent suggestion that SVG punt SM so JW could close up in the championship? I keep seeing references to it on social media but can't find it.

Was it this morning during qualifying? I missed a large chunk of the second session and haven't seen any mention of it on Twitter. Terrible comments if true though. :crazy:

Was it this morning during qualifying? I missed a large chunk of the second session and haven't seen any mention of it on Twitter. Terrible comments if true though. :crazy:
After yesterday's race from what I can gather. I haven't seen it mentioned today either but it was in the comments in the after race interviews yesterday and in the comments on speecafe. Something like SVG should punt Scott into the booney weeds to help Jamie close up in the championship.

After yesterday's race from what I can gather.

Ah, that explains it. I turned the TV off as soon as the race finished. Skaife will always be my favorite driver but the way he fawns over some drivers has become very old.

Ah, that explains it. I turned the TV off as soon as the race finished. Skaife will always be my favorite driver but the way he fawns over some drivers has become very old.
While he is one of the all-time greats as a driver he doesn't rate as TV personality to me. It's not just his fawning, although you're right it does get a bit old, it's the way he constantly belittles his co-workers achievements in racing for example.

On Saturday he was even having a go at Neil Crompton's hand gestures while explaining something. He thought it was hilarious and went as far as *questioning whether he was from an Italian background... I mean seriously :boggled:... and then he seemed to expect Jess to back him up with his normal ''Waddayareckon Jess''. He's not the slightest bit funny and yet everything is hilarious to him.

In saying this though, his actual commentary of the races isn't too bad, it's the behind the desk bits between the racing that let him down the most imo.

Craig Lowndes is similar in this respect to me but for different reasons. He seems very uncomfortable behind the desk but his segments like the Garry Jacobsen and Dave Reynolds interview at Port Lincoln was top class.

*I know this is a fairly standard Aussie thing but it's better left for a front bar situation amongst work mates, and even then it's questionable.

Can I just take this opportunity to say that at least we don’t have to put up with someone that isn’t an absolute bumbling idiot like David Croft.

Can I just take this opportunity to say that at least we don’t have to put up with someone that isn’t an absolute bumbling idiot like David Croft.

I'll take Croft over the guy that does the TCR commentary on their YT channel every day of the week... blind as a bat, that man.

More everyone wins a prize bollocks. We haven't just got a NASCAR 'lucky dog', we've got a Supercars 'everyone's a lucky dog... except if you don't cross an imaginary line in time' for Bathurst.

10.2.9.3 Cars one (1) or more laps behind the leader as per Rule D10.2.2.6 will be instructed via RMC and via the timing screen to pass the line of Cars including the SC when between T18 and T19.7.

• Lapped Cars that have not crossed the P3 timing line prior to the SC crossing the S2 timing line will not be eligible to pass the SC.
  • After passing the SC, Pit Lane will be closed to the lapped Cars until they cross the control line on the racetrack.
  • If the RD considers track conditions are unsuitable, the lapped Cars will not be permitted to pass the SC.
  • Decisions made in respect of this unlapping procedure are not subject to protest

Why?!? I know the lap down cars can get in the way a bit on restarts but this is not the answer (if this is part of their reasoning, but I'm not even sure if it is), telling them to stay the **** out the way is.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/09/30/supercars-introduces-new-lapped-car-procedure-for-bathurst/

And we all thought time certain races were an issue now. This rule will further exacerbate the lengthy safety car induced problem.

Edit: It seems I may have understood. Is this rule only in place for Bathurst?

Turn 18 is Forest Elbow, so they might have plenty of time to get away from the front runners, especially if they would usually run up the front but were a lap down because of a safety car at a bad time. It could go both ways I think. But it’s a way of giving quick cars a lap back, without just waving them past at the start of the SC, which is a bit of a gimmick imo.
Edit: @Cap'n Jack it won’t make safety car periods longer, because it only happens after the safety car lights go out.
And I sure hope there’s some clause which says Bathurst cannot go time certain.

But it’s a way of giving quick cars a lap back, without just waving them past at the start of the SC, which is a bit of a gimmick imo.
This will still happen as well from what I can tell, otherwise what happens to the cars that aren't a lap down but get caught behind the safety car in front of the leader? I can't see any reference to those cars. :confused:

It's just a way to give people that stuffed up, either by poor/unlucky strategy, bad pitstop, car damage or by being just plain to slow, a second chance be it deserving or not. It's also a good way to take the actual 'racing' out of racing.

What next? Mandatary periodic cautions? (exaggeration, but I hope you guys get my point :P).

This will still happen as well from what I can tell, otherwise what happens to the cars that aren't a lap down but get caught behind the safety car in front of the leader? I can't see any reference to those cars. :confused:

It's just a way to give people that stuffed up, either by poor/unlucky strategy, bad pitstop, car damage or by being just plain to slow, a second chance be it deserving or not. It's also a good way to take the actual 'racing' out of racing.

What next? Mandatary periodic cautions? (exaggeration, but I hope you guys get my point :P).
I would assume cars in between the safety car and leader will be waved through and the SC will pick up the leader as normal.
And sshhh, don’t give them any ideas!

I would assume cars in between the safety car and leader will be waved through and the SC will pick up the leader as normal.
Yeah, I'd assume so as well, but between Race Control and JW they can't even get that right so how is making things more complicated going to work :nervous:
And sshhh, don’t give them any ideas!
:lol: Sorry. ;)

Instead of this 'every one gets a prize' policy they've got going (in this case you get a lap back) they should stop trying to re-invent the wheel, just race and tell the lap down guys to get the **** out of the way... kinda like real racing. They're there for a reason... race your way back to the lead lap or deal with it.

More everyone wins a prize bollocks. We haven't just got a NASCAR 'lucky dog', we've got a Supercars 'everyone's a lucky dog... except if you don't cross an imaginary line in time' for Bathurst.

10.2.9.3 Cars one (1) or more laps behind the leader as per Rule D10.2.2.6 will be instructed via RMC and via the timing screen to pass the line of Cars including the SC when between T18 and T19.7.

• Lapped Cars that have not crossed the P3 timing line prior to the SC crossing the S2 timing line will not be eligible to pass the SC.
  • After passing the SC, Pit Lane will be closed to the lapped Cars until they cross the control line on the racetrack.
  • If the RD considers track conditions are unsuitable, the lapped Cars will not be permitted to pass the SC.
  • Decisions made in respect of this unlapping procedure are not subject to protest

Why?!? I know the lap down cars can get in the way a bit on restarts but this is not the answer (if this is part of their reasoning, but I'm not even sure if it is), telling them to stay the **** out the way is.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/09/30/supercars-introduces-new-lapped-car-procedure-for-bathurst/
It's an answer none the less. One of the most frustrating things about Bathurst is having lapped cars in the way of the front runners. Remember 2015? That race was ruined by lapped cars getting in the way. Passing on Bathurst is very hard and having slower cars get in the way is infuriating, especially when they're well out of contention.

It's an answer none the less. One of the most frustrating things about Bathurst is having lapped cars in the way of the front runners. Remember 2015? That race was ruined by lapped cars getting in the way. Passing on Bathurst is very hard and having slower cars get in the way is infuriating, especially when they're well out of contention.
Wasn't 2015 the year JW, with his overtaking the pace car penalty still to serve, held up everyone behind him so CL could get a 3 or 4 sec. gap? Not much to do with lap down cars there if memory serves me correctly (sometimes it doesn't :guilty:) and I've stated what I think should be done... twice ;)
Instead of this 'every one gets a prize' policy they've got going (in this case you get a lap back) they should stop trying to re-invent the wheel, just race and tell the lap down guys to get the **** out of the way... kinda like real racing. They're there for a reason... race your way back to the lead lap or deal with it.
They shouldn't hold the pack up in the slightest if that occurs. The rules state they have to maintain safety car speed and be within 5 car lengths of the car in front.

A better way to not have any effect on a late restart, and only on a late restart, would be for the lap down cars to move over down Conrod and let the lead lap cars through. This other nonsense could theoretically bring a multiple lap down car back into the race without it having to pass cars under green.

Wasn't 2015 the year JW, with his overtaking the pace car penalty still to serve, held up everyone behind him so CL could get a 3 or 4 sec. gap?

Yeah, that was it. It annoyed me then and still annoys me now. :lol: More than likely Lowndes would have won anyway but it completely ruined what should have been a great battle in the final laps.

Yeah, that was it. It annoyed me then and still annoys me now. :lol: More than likely Lowndes would have won anyway but it completely ruined what should have been a great battle in the final laps.
What was T8's not so well disguised radio message, something like ''Now Jamie... you've got a drive through, you have to pit next lap.... don't race Craig, Don't.......Race........Craig'' :lol:
He basically won by the gap JW gave him, but I think you're right, he probably still would have won.

Erebus' livery for Bathurst.

Bathurst_1000_1-scaled.jpg

As well as the GRM wildcard.

GRM_Livery.png

Looks nice (albeit maybe a little plain) from what we can see. Shame it might not race though.

Last edited:
GRM have just dropped their appeal, so unless they find another driver they may not race. They have stated before that they will not race unless Herne is approved.
It’s a lot of effort to go to for no reason if they’re sticking with that statement.

Edit: Jayden Ojeda announced as replacement already. Seems all the ‘We won’t race unless Herne gets approved’ was a bit of bs.

Last edited:
Back