2021/22 Premier League & General Football Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,132 comments
  • 74,397 views
Tot'num WWWLLL
Arselol LLLWWW

What a league
 
Tot'num WWWLLL
Arselol LLLWWW

What a league
And I think both of them are currently where they deserve to be, mid table. 🙄

I can see Spurs going down further though, Kane looked to not be that interested, and Espirito Santo has no life in him on the sidelines. Hope he is better in training. I was very surprised when he got the job, after doing a good job in his first couple of years with Wolves, and then treading water for the last year or so. It seems his, and Wolves fortunes, relied a lot on Raul Jimenez, and when he had his bad injury, there was no plan B for goals. I can't see him getting to Christmas. Hope I'm wrong.
 
Wrong thread
 
Last edited:
Games this weekend.

Saturday.
Brighton v Arsenal (5.30 Sky)
Burnley v Norwich
Chelsea v Southampton
Leeds v Watford
Man United v Everton (12.30 BT)
Wolves v Newcastle

Sunday.
Crystal Palace v Leicester (2pm Sky)
Liverpool v Man City (4.30 Sky)
Tottenham v Aston Villa
West Ham v Brentford

International break after this weekend.
 
Man United 1-1 Everton
Leeds 1-0 Watford
Chelsea 3-1 Southampton
Burnley 0-0 Norwich
Wolves 2-1 Newcastle
Brighton 0-0 Arsenal

Man United. :indiff:
 
Watford have done a Watford and sacked manager Xisco Munoz just seven games into the season, they currently sit 14th in the PL table with 7 points from 7.

Watford are now in talks with Claudio Ranieri, they have sacked six managers in two years...
 
Watford have done a Watford and sacked manager Xisco Munoz just seven games into the season
First Premier League manager sacking for @Liquid's manager watch :D
 
Sooo, the third Chelsea goal, who gets the assists for that? The original ball in, the first shot against the bar and the second shot against the bar? 🤔
 
Palace 2-2 Leicester
Spurs 2-1 Villa
West Ham 1-2 Brentford
Liverpool 2-2 Man City

it was 0-0 at half time in the Liverpool-City game so all goals came in the second half, Liverpool lead twice but were pegged back by City, Salah's goal was fantastic. Mane, Foden and De Bruyne also scored.

94th minute winner for Brentford from Wissa.
 
The Saudi-led takeover of Newcastle looks to be back on after the Saudi state resolved its issues with beIN Sports over illegal streaming of Premier League football.

Also a Brighton footballer in his 20's has been arrested for an alleged sexual assault that took place at a Brighton nightclub in the early hours of this morning.
 
So Newcastle join the elite of petro clubs, getting rid of Mike Ashley on the one hand, and taken over by an investment fund chaired by a murderer on the other.
 
The takeover was confirmed a few hours ago after Premier League gave its approval, since then fans have gathered out side St James's celebrating and chanting 'we've got our club back', you cant blame them for being happy after 14 years of Mike Ashley.

Steve Bruce will most definitely go now and the likes of Gerrard and Rodgers are favourites to become new manager.
 
Good news, this international break is now over. 👍

Bad news, there is another one in four weeks. :indiff:
 
Games this weekend.

Saturday.
Aston Villa v Wolves
Brentford v Chelsea (5.30 Sky)
Leicester v Man United
Man City v Burnley
Norwich v Brighton
Southampton v Leeds
Watford v Liverpool (12.30 BT)

Sunday.
Everton v West Ham (2pm Sky)
Newcastle v Tottenham (4.30 Sky)

Monday.
Arsenal v Crystal Palace (8pm Sky)

South Americans who played yesterday are unlikely to play this weekend, so no Alisson, Ederson, Fabinho, Fred, Cavani etc....

Steve Bruce will take charge of Newcastle on Sunday, it will be 1000th game in management.
 
Steve Bruce will take charge of Newcastle on Sunday, it will be 1000th game in management.
Probably not many more to add to the count for Newcastle, now that the money has come in. 😟 🙄
 
Spurs have had two players test positive for Covid, its been reported that one of them is Son and the other is Bryan Gil.

They were likely to miss a few of their south American players for Sunday as well, like Sanchez, Romero and Lo Celso.
 
CNB1W6d.png

Zh1RrNj.png
 
Watford 0-5 Liverpool
Norwich 0-0 Brighton
Southampton 1-0 Leeds
Leicester 4-2 Man Utd
Man City 2-0 Burnley
Villa 2-3 Wolves
Brentford 0-1 Chelsea

Brilliant performance by Liverpool with a Firmino hat-trick and Salah with a stunning goal where he danced around five Watford defenders before coolly bending it in, Watford offered little on Ranieri's first game in charge and had 16% possession at half time.

Don't know where to begin with United, we actually took the lead thanks to Greenwood's fantastic long range strike, Tielemans got the equalizer after Maguire fumbled on the ball and then Soyuncu scored before Rashford made it 2-2, Vardy scored straight from kick-off then Daka made it four in the 9st minute, terrible from United again, we have got Liverpool on Sunday and Man City to come as well, very difficult for Ole now...

Wolves had a stunning comeback after being 2-0 down with their last two goals coming in the last five minutes, Chelsea game just finished and Chilwell scored Brentford was brilliant in the second half and were very unlucky not to win the game with some of the chances they had, Chelsea keeper Mendy pulled off some great saves and got man of the match which tells its own story, Brentford a handful for any side!

Chelsea top of the table, Liverpool were top briefly.
 
I'm starting to slide towards Ole out and I don't like myself for it, but I don't think anyone else would've had the backing he's had and time he's had and still be in a job at a top club. The issue is, I'm not sure who else I'd want that we can realistically get.

But there's no excuses now for Ole, he's in his third year in charge and I just don't see us getting better than we are now under him. Our main issue is we don't capitalise on periods in games where we have the upper hand. I thought for spells against Leicester we played okay, we opened them up a few times, but we just lacked that final ball to create decent chances.

It really went to pot when Matic came off for McTomiany, we completley lost the midfield then. As much as I like McTominay as a box to box player, a decent CDM he is not. To Leicesters credit, they played a blinder, which is sods law given that they've been poor all season up to now. They certainly deserved the three points.

I just can't fathom how or why Ole can't win matches consistently with this squad. We've been outplayed by Villa, Everton and now Leicester. I can understand why a team would lose against those teams, anyone can beat anyone on thier day in the PL, it's one of the things that makes the league so competetive, but the manner we've dropped points in those three games is what bothers me.

I really, really, really wanted Ole to do well and for it all to click and come together, but I don;t understand why we didn't buy a defensive midfielder, why Ole has come out and said he doesn't get why midfielders can't do everything and why we aren't giving Van de Beek a proper chance. There's no way he'd have done any worse than McTominay today. But as much as I want him to succeed, I just can't see it happening anymore.
 
I want to pull my hair out after this game against Southampton.
 
Does GTP have an auto scheduler function for me to post a message. It'll be "Ole out" every week.

I haven't changed my opinion of him. A+ job for improving the mood at the club as the interim manager. But now the job is about winning trophies. The claim of progression is a false positive. There is an asterisk for last year because of the pandemic and Liverpool's horrible luck with injuries. Has the team improved in the final third? No. They still cannot create enough quality chances or break through low blocks. Has he gotten the best out of Pogba? No. Can the team play out of the back against the press? No. And the man is just horrible at interviews.

I can only judge what I experience. Poor interviews and poor team play.
 
Newcastle-Spurs has been suspended in the first half because of a medical emergency in the crowd, its been reported that a man has collapsed, the players were initially alerted and they alerted the ref who took the players off, a member of the Newcastle physio team went over with a defibrilator.

Game was on around 41 minutes, Spurs are 2-1 up.

Thought are with the fan..
 
Everton 0-1 West Ham
Newcastle 2-3 Spurs

Quite a close game between Everton and West Ham but West Ham just had the best of it, goal came from Ogbonna who headed in from a corner on 78 minutes.

it was a party atmosphere at St James Park at the start of the game when Wilson gave Newcastle the lead after just 2 minutes, It didn't last long though as Ndombele got Spurs level just 15 minutes later and then Kane got his first league goal of the season to make it 1-2, as mentioned the game was stopped just before half time because of a medical emergency when one of the Newcastle fans collapsed, the fan was thankfully stabilised and taken to hospital and then the game resumed but shortly after that Son made it 1-3 right before half time, Shelvey got sent off for two yellows in six minutes in the second half not long after coming on, a Dier own goal made it 2-3 late on but the game was over by then.

Full credit to Reguilon for alearting the ref to what was going on in the crowd during the emergency and to Dier for gesturing to the Newcastle dug-out that a defibrilator was needed, the ref did a great job then too. 👏 👍
 
Dramatic game tonight, finished Arsenal 2-2 Palace with Aubameyang putting Arsenal ahead early in the first half, Palace were much better in the second half and Benteke and Edouard put them ahead (Edouard goal was a banger!) and they looked good for the win but a 95th minute equalizer from Lacazette got Arsenal the point and it was almost last kick of the game. Gutting for Palace.
 
I'm starting to slide towards Ole out and I don't like myself for it, but I don't think anyone else would've had the backing he's had and time he's had and still be in a job at a top club. The issue is, I'm not sure who else I'd want that we can realistically get.
Erik ten Hag?
Elsewhere, Real Madrid beat Shakthar 5-0, Man City beat Brugge 5-1, Ajax beat Dortmund 4-0 (!!) and PSG beat Leipzig 3-2 with Messi scoring twice.
He also led Ajax to the Champions League semi-final in 2019. Yes, that was a talented squad with De Ligt, De Jong, Van der Beek, Ziyech, and Sergino Dest. But they were all very young. I can't imagine ten Hag sending them into a game without a plan and style of play that has been drilled over and over.
 
Erik ten Hag?

He also led Ajax to the Champions League semi-final in 2019. Yes, that was a talented squad with De Ligt, De Jong, Van der Beek, Ziyech, and Sergino Dest. But they were all very young. I can't imagine ten Hag sending them into a game without a plan and style of play that has been drilled over and over.
Great shout, not sure we could pry him away mid-season but I wouldn't mind seeing him at United next season if things don't turn around in a big way, which unfortunately I doubt they will.
 
#BruceOut, to the surprise of no-one...
 
Back