2021 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,202 comments

Camry confirmed.

and there’s a leaked photo of the other two. Looks like Ford is going to go with the GT500 rather than a mere common Mustang.

Glad they aren’t going to throw Supra decals on a sedan body in Cup as well. Even though I wish they’d throw a curve ball and run the Lexus RC since it would suit the NASCAR profile.

Last edited:
Ez_rNhLVIA0RfK9.jpg

The front facias look so much better than what we have right now!! ♥ The only thing I still don't like it's another gen where they don't shape the back end as freely as on the front (and that they aren't going to make the exhaust sound more pitched like in the 2005/up to 2014 cars), but these look so menacing noneless!! ♥

They truly deserve more than 570hp...

Round 7 of the eNASCAR Coca-Cola iRacing Series starts in 1/2 hour.

I think I’ve wanted to be able to stop watching NASCAR since about 2007 but I haven’t been able to do it yet

Not all of their decisions are great but I'm a long time fan and fully used to them by now. They are not going to ditch the format nor the stages. People would complain it's boring and people don't have high attention spans. Especially young people which they are trying very hard to attract. But let's be honest, the people who "quit watching" because of stages and playoff formats are never coming back even if they did ditch both. It's ok to not be a fan. If you really like the series, you'll continue to watch. If you quit watching because of the stages and the chase format, you were probably not really a fan to begin with. Or you outgrew it. Which is fine as well.

Last edited:
the people who "quit watching" because of stages and playoff formats are never coming back even if they did ditch both.
Wrong.

It's ok to not be a fan.
I was a diehard fan. My Dad and I used to go to the Phoenix races every year and camp out for the whole weekend. We would sit down together and watch all of the other races on TV in his NASCAR room rooting for Jeff Gordon. So don't even try to assume I'm "not a fan" because you don't know jack squat about me.

If you really like the series, you'll continue to watch. If you quit watching because of the stages and the chase format, you were probably not really a fan to begin with. Or you outgrew it. Which is fine as well
It's a gimmick and uninteresting. Bring back the endurance format.

Wrong.

I was a diehard fan. My Dad and I used to go to the Phoenix races every year and camp out for the whole weekend. We would sit down together and watch all of the other races on TV in his NASCAR room rooting for Jeff Gordon. So don't even try to assume I'm "not a fan" because you don't know jack squat about me.

It's a gimmick and uninteresting. Bring back the endurance format.

I don’t even really disagree with you but I’m not going to write off the entire series because they made some changes I don’t necessarily like. It’s fine if you did.

I don't care about the rules or the gimmicks because watching a NASCAR race live is a novelty for me. For years I was unable to watch a NASCAR broadcast but thanks to the sports streaming service Kayo, I can watch a few of them.

NASCAR realized they gave the All-Star race to Texas and was like, "Crap. How do we make this interesting in the slightest?"

2021 All Star Race Format is as follows:
  • The race will feature six rounds, totaling 100 laps.
  • Starting lineup for Round 1 will be determined via random draw.
  • Rounds 1 through 4 will be 15 laps each; Round 5 will be 30 laps; the Final Round will feature a 10-lap shootout.
  • At the beginning of Round 2, the field will be inverted via random draw (minimum of eight/maximum of 12) live on FS1.
  • Before the start of Round 3, the entire field will be inverted.
  • At the beginning of Round 4, the field will be inverted via random draw (minimum of eight/maximum of 12).
  • Starting positions for Round 5 will consist of the cumulative finish from Rounds 1-4. The lowest cumulative finisher starts on the pole, second-lowest starts second, and so forth. All cars must enter pit road for a mandatory four-tire pit stop during Round 5.
  • The starting positions in the Final Round are set by finishing positions of Round 5.
  • Only green flag laps will count in the NASCAR All-Star race.
  • The fastest team on pit road during the mandatory pit stop will earn $100,000.
  • The race winner will be awarded $1,000,000.
Also they'll be using the Daytona/Talladega tapered spacer instead of the spacer usually used at 1 1/2 mile tracks. This means instead of 550hp the cars will be restricted to about 510hp.

NASCAR realized they gave the All-Star race to Texas and was like, "Crap. How do we make this interesting in the slightest?"

• Rounds 1 through 4 will be 15 laps each; Round 5 will be 30 laps; the Final Round will feature a 10-lap shootout.
  • At the beginning of Round 2, the field will be inverted via random draw (minimum of eight/maximum of 12) live on FS1.
  • At the beginning of Round 4, the field will be inverted via random draw (minimum of eight/maximum of 12).
  • Starting positions for Round 5 will consist of the cumulative finish from Rounds 1-4. The lowest cumulative finisher starts on the pole, second-lowest starts second, and so forth. All cars must enter pit road for a mandatory four-tire pit stop during Round 5.
  • The starting positions in the Final Round are set by finishing positions of Round 5.
  • The fastest team on pit road during the mandatory pit stop will earn $100,000.
Also they'll be using the Daytona/Talladega tapered spacer instead of the spacer usually used at 1 1/2 mile tracks. This means instead of 550hp the cars will be restricted to about 510hp.
The race won't be worth a damn, but the inevitable fight(s) might be.

Kaulig will run a full time Cup car next year.

https://www.jayski.com/2021/04/28/matt-kaulig-confirms-team-will-run-cup-full-time-in-2022/

I think this team has gone about things the right way and have been impressive in the races they've ran, hopefully they are able to put forth a solid effort on a full-time basis.

That really seems way more complex than it needs to be (I know, shocker). But considering that's the cost required to get the CoTA race I can live with it.

It’s like they’re trying to give the fans the biggest middle finger they can, combining all the things people hate. The only thing missing is moving the numbers again.

And here I was hoping they’d use the All-Star this year to debut the Next Gen car.

Last edited:
obviously anyone complaining about the stages and playoff format in NASCAR was never truly a fan. Simply put, stages and playoffs was the best thing to ever happen to NASCAR and has provided the closest most exciting racing I have ever seen in my 40 years as a fan. The main thing it did is allow all racers to have a chance at a win or top 10...any longtime fan will remember that before, it was maybe 5 teams ALWAYS out front and usually less than 10 cars on the lead lap at finish. Stats still show that most drivers who have competed in NASCAR at any level have 0 wins.

Just an opinion from a former actual race car driver and lifelong racing fan. It's called progress, the same people that complain about the new format are probably still whining about the NFL replay rule enacted full time in 99"

obviously anyone complaining about the stages and playoff format in NASCAR was never truly a fan.

Or they just, you know, have a different opinion.

Also, I don't really mind the stages but hate the playoff format (I can live with the older Chase format though), so am I only 50% true fan? :confused:

it was maybe 5 teams ALWAYS out front

It's funny you say you've been a fan for 40 years yet seemingly already forgot last year where the top 5 in points won 28/36 races.

Admittedly, I was guilty of a straw man by adopting the idea that if you quit watching you weren’t really much of a fan. That was my bad and I never should have put the idea out there. But I stand by not completely writing off something I love because I don’t 100% agree with every decision management makes. It was pretty clear that the old fans weren’t going to keep the series going and the growth of the sport was stalled out. So put yourself in NASCAR’s shoes and realize that something had to be done and if it hadn’t at least have been attempted, the sport wouldn’t be sustainable in the long run.

Also, the NASCAR fan base in general are some of the worst in professional sports from a traditional and lack of progress standpoint. They can fluctuate from a hardcore resistance to any sort of change to wanting to change everything depending on who is winning and who is not. So how do you make the old base happy while attracting a newer younger fanbase? It’s a fine line. NASCAR knows it. I stuck around because of loyalty to the series and the fact that I couldn’t knock something that I never gave a chance. I think it’s very close minded to completely bail on something without even seeing the reason/big picture. Like I said, if you moved on, that’s fine.

Back