2021 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,202 comments
NASCAR execs mentioned something about other OEMs during the stream, sounds hopeful that they're even mentioning it.

sounds hopeful that they're even mentioning it.

NASCAR (and INDYCAR) usually plays the "we're talking to additional manufacturers" card at least once a year, obviously nothing ever actually happens.

The reality is Dodge and Honda are really the only 2 companies I could see coming into the series, Dodge for it's history in the sport and current focus and Honda because they already have a large motorsport presence in the U.S. However both are pretty unlikely since Stellantis doesn't seem to really care about keeping Dodge involved in motorsports apart from NHRA and I'm not sure HPD has the available resources for a third large program (they recently confirmed long term participation in both IMSA and INDYCAR).

There is one darkhorse in Hyundai/Kia as they've been growing their motorsport presence, but it seems like if they do expand it will be in the sports car direction.

I mean I get it, but all they did was chop the top! lol
Actually (and Ironically), that's what makes it stand out as being the closest to the real thing (something everybody was asking for a long time)! The Camaro has the best front facia, yeah, but it looks like they forgot to mold the back end and just added the stickers and call it a day :lol:

E0pccNUWYAgmp_2.jpg

2019-Camaro-ZL1-1LE-13.jpg

And I was worried about the Mustang's rear too, considering the real thing has a curved aerodynamic rear (which they bricked it in the Gen 6), but they completely nailed it in the new gen (even if the trunk makes it look like the taillights got a cap :lol:)!

WOW independent rear suspension! Transaxles! Sequential shifters! Symmetrical bodies! How about that? NASCAR really is living in the future!

It seems as though NASCAR has taken a look at V8 Supercars and decided that yes, our cars should be like those. I really want to see how they perform on track and who can get the most out of their car.

Last edited:
Actually (and Ironically), that's what makes it stand out as being the closest to the real thing (something everybody was asking for a long time)! The Camaro has the best front facia, yeah, but it looks like they forgot to mold the back end and just added the stickers and call it a day :lol:

View attachment 1009183

View attachment 1009182

And I was worried about the Mustang's rear too, considering the real thing has a curved aerodynamic rear (which they bricked it in the Gen 6), but they completely nailed it in the new gen (even if the trunk makes it look like the taillights got a cap :lol:)!
I have a feeling Chevy wanted the back end flat so it can be more easily pushed at superspeedway races. Kind of like how they flattened the front end of the current Camaro when they revised it in 2019 so it could be better at pushing.

Last edited:
NASCAR (and INDYCAR) usually plays the "we're talking to additional manufacturers" card at least once a year, obviously nothing ever actually happens.

The reality is Dodge and Honda are really the only 2 companies I could see coming into the series, Dodge for it's history in the sport and current focus and Honda because they already have a large motorsport presence in the U.S. However both are pretty unlikely since Stellantis doesn't seem to really care about keeping Dodge involved in motorsports apart from NHRA and I'm not sure HPD has the available resources for a third large program (they recently confirmed long term participation in both IMSA and INDYCAR).

There is one darkhorse in Hyundai/Kia as they've been growing their motorsport presence, but it seems like if they do expand it will be in the sports car direction.
When Stellantis was just FCA a couple years back, they did an extended study on bringing Dodge back into NASCAR. The end result was basically that the return on investment wasn't there, because none of the teams capable of shouldering the cost of starting a new engine program were interested in the risk of switching brands. That's likely to be the major roadblock for any brand thinking about joining, and very few teams have the means to make that happen.

Last edited:
When Stellantis was just FCA a couple years back, they did an extended study on bringing Dodge back into NASCAR. The end result was basically that the return on investment wasn't there, because none of the teams capable of shouldering the cost of starting a new engine program were interested in the risk of switching brands. That's likely to be the major roadblock for any brand thinking about joining, and very few teams have the means to make that happen.
They could try to convince them though, especially since dodge's current design language is more aerodynamic than before, what you said actually is reflected on the Gen 6 Charger (which, by just by looking at it you know teams would have had a bad time with the aero)

2013-dodge-charger-nascar.jpg

But the Charger changed enough to be aero-attractive for some teams if it gets a second run at NASCAR, especially since the fans want Dodge back, NASCAR could have a talk with stellantis and teams to do such a thing.

2021-dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-redeye.jpg

Now, if Dodge is still not attractive enough, I will add the international OEM attraction NASCAR is getting recently, Toyota is currently the best brand on the grid and they aren't fully american, so Nascar can be open to other brands to also give it a more international market, just like the V8 supercars had by adding Volvo, Nissan, and Mercedes after years of just Ford vs. Holden in the 2010s. And Chrysler/Dodge is just the american representation of Stellantis, they can add the brand they want and even do crazy unthinkable combos like a Hemi-powered Maserati or putting the Alfa Giulia on NASCAR with some Mopar backup.

Stellantis-FCA-PSA-marcas.jpg

Ok, now I want to see a Gen 7 Giulia lol

Yes, that's why RCR was FCA's best bet, I never thought those rumors about them potentially switching to be that far'fetched. Too bad that's not going to happen now thanks to their newly formed coalition with Hendrick.

I kind of wish RCR switched to Dodge though.

Yes, that's why RCR was FCA's best bet, I never thought those rumors about them potentially switching to be that far'fetched. Too bad that's not going to happen now thanks to their newly formed coalition with Hendrick.

I kind of wish RCR switched to Dodge though.
"RCR is leaving Chevy for (rival brand)" was one of those rumors that ended up becoming a running joke because it got tossed around every year since the early '90s. I kinda imagine it would take nothing short of GM exiting NASCAR entirely for it to happen, just because of how long they've been working together.

But the Charger changed enough to be aero-attractive for some teams if it gets a second run at NASCAR, especially since the fans want Dodge back, NASCAR could have a talk with stellantis and teams to do such a thing.
The problem isn't the aero, it's the engines. Only your Hendricks or your Childresses or your Gibbsseses or your Stewart-Haaseseseses are large enough to provide the resources to start up an engine program from scratch, and have it be anywhere within a shadow's chance of being competitive and reliable enough to last a full season. Stellantis, or really any manufacturer trying to get into the sport nowadays, would have to back up a dumptruck full of money to their shop's front door to get any of those teams to consider switching.

Also, given that one of the first things Stellantis did was effectively disband SRT and roll them up into the general engineering pool, I don't think American motorsports is really anywhere on their radar for the forseeable future.

There’s also the charter system in NASCAR which is a huge barrier to entry to an established team (like Andretti in Honda’s case) entering the grid. But yeah the motors are the big thing. Especially now there are just 3 engine builders.

There’s zero chance of a new OEM entering NASCAR until the new hybrid powertrain debuts, and even then it’s a stretch. I don’t know why NASCAR refuses to launch an EV series of some kind since that’s what will bring in new manufacturers (VW in particular since we all know how eager they are to greenwash their brand).

Last edited:
You know I can't help but feel that Toyota drivers are sorta disappointed that the Supra isn't coming to cup. They're probably looking at the other two cars and are thinking "dammit why can't we get a new car to drive too?" lol

Last edited:
Considering the Supra is only slightly better than the Xfinity version of the Impala was I’m guessing they are relieved Toyota is sticking with the Camry.

Considering the Supra is only slightly better than the Xfinity version of the Impala was I’m guessing they are relieved Toyota is sticking with the Camry.
A supra cup car probably could have looked somewhat similar to the FT-1 concept honestly.

I think they do a little bit, but as long as the Camry is still potent it probably doesn't matter to them.

In our crossover-obsessed world, the Camry needs all the marketing help it can get. Cars are the traditionalist/enthusiast alternative nowadays, so NASCAR is a big deal for the Camry’s brand. The Supra will appeal to its small crowd no matter what they do with it (as long as it’s in SuperGT).

If they can convince someone to trade in their Escape or Equinox for a Camry, that’s a big deal.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why we were running the 550 package at this track the last two years. The racing was so much better today.

It was even a throwback with the race results by only having 9 cars on the lead lap at the end! :dopey:

Overall the bits I saw were decent, really wish it was on Saturday night though as Darlington during the day doesn’t have as good of an atmosphere.

In the Truck and Xfinity divisions, I am really enjoying the efforts of Sheldon Creed and Noah Gragson.

Back