2021 Nissan Rogue / X-Trail

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 29 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/these-2021-nissan-rogue-x-trail-photos-look-pretty-official-to-us/

Low quality official shots:

2021-Nissan-Rogue-1.jpg

2021-Nissan-Rogue-2.jpg

2021-Nissan-Rogue-5.jpg

Anyone putting gear choices on the steering wheel itself? May as well press buttons like a DS4, than have the gear selector atop the centre console.

Cool.

Meanwhile, I've finished high school, attended community college, acquired a bachelors degree, acquired a masters degree, doubled in age, moved between 3 different states, attended 2 weddings for a single friend, seen 7 Christopher Nolan films in theaters, and played through 11 Forza titles since the Nissan Frontier was last refreshed.

(I actually like the Frontier the way it is...)

Cool.

Meanwhile, I've finished high school, attended community college, acquired a bachelors degree, acquired a masters degree, doubled in age, moved between 3 different states, attended 2 weddings for a single friend, seen 7 Christopher Nolan films in theaters, and played through 11 Forza titles since the Nissan Frontier was last refreshed.

(I actually like the Frontier the way it is...)
Soon.

The interior is nice but the exterior look like an amalgam of other different CUV, a little bit of Subaru, a little bit of RAV4, a little bit of Korean and voila...

The exterior is bland and not particularly bad, but it far from being good too.

The Koreans are getting much better at this game than Nissan.

The exterior is bland and not particularly bad, but it far from being good too.

This, it really is looks wise a shed load of average. The compact and mid size SUV market is so crowded with interesting choices that I guess this would sell purely on a practicality or reliability angle.

This, it really is looks wise a shed load of average. The compact and mid size SUV market is so crowded with interesting choices that I guess this would sell purely on a practicality or reliability angle.

It's decent looking, though it's a mashup of every other compact CUV design.

I gave this car the benefits of my doubts.

I thought I was too quick in initially reviewing it, but after 24 hours, I am looking at this again, and I just want to turn myself into a mindless robot looking at it.

The word I wanted to describe the exterior this CUV is :

Uninspired.

Totally voided of any creative inspiration...
Nothing makes sense, it is merely held up together with the metaphorical design "glue stick".

So bland. It has no personality.

Maybe it's the color, but I doubt it.
You could put any car logo on this CUV and no one would bat an eye, no would know any better.

This is the generic CUV that insurance companies will use in for their commercial advertisement, without having to graphically altering anything and people would still not know which CUV it is...

As said @05XR8 , the wheels can also go the garbage or be melted.

The interior is looking real nice tho.
That's its only redeeming factor/aspect.

Edit:
oh and can we stop the two tier front lights already???
I hate that from the Koreans, I hated from the Jeep Cherokee, I hate now with this...

My eyes doesn't know where to look...

The eyebrows should not be the main feature of a car.
The headlights should always be the main important feature.
The eyebrows (LED strips) should only be a feature to accentuate the "Eyes".

Too many car manufacturers design have got their priorities alll wrong.

This is the same thing for a person, you want to look at a person's eyes, not his or her eyebrows... This so weird!

[/Rant]

Last edited:
That's over 20 more than the Bronco Sport's 1.5. That's a pretty hefty bump. Ecoboosts are known for being quite torquey though so lets see what Nissan does in that department.

Yeah nah. I'm not a fan of this future where the ICE car dies out with everything getting a 3 cyl. 1.5 turbo.

Matched with a CVT? Straight hot garbage. BUt saying that the target buyer wouldnt know the difference.

They accepted the CRV w/ turbo 1.5 didnt they?

Also note that the new Mitsubishi Outlander has the same engine gearbox and platform as the Xtrail.

And then for non US territories, the Renault Koleos also has the same setup given that Nissan Renault Mitusubishi is now one big family.

I hear that the Nissan CUVs and Navara trucks sell up a storm in the EU and the UK.

I hear that the Nissan CUVs and Navara trucks sell up a storm in the EU and the UK.

That's pretty much all they sell in the UK (i imagine mainland Europe is the same). We get the Micra and the Leaf and the GT-R (of which they sell about 500 a year in the whole of Europe) everything else is SUV/CUV now.

Let me give you some perspective here...

There's really only two practice vehicle classes here... firstly no one wants a minivan or a sedan.

So there's the medium CUV or the light 4x4 one ton truck.

I would avoid all subcompact SUVs like the Nissan Dualis Qashkai whatever.

The crossover CUV seems to be the practical vehicle of choice ESPECIALLY the fwd models. Our roads are crap here.

You kind of want the N/A variants so you dont have to deal with turbos. Your choice of 5-7 seats.

CVTs have gotten as practically as reliable as conventional autos.

So Nissan Renault Mitsu is on a winner here with n/a fwd suvs.

You can go with a 2 ton 4x4 truck like a Navara or a Hilux or a Ford Ranger but expect all the issues you get with a truck.

For me in a perfect world I'd have a Porsche Macan but really what else is there in the medium CUV class?

RAV4? CRV? CX5? the Koreans and maybe the VWs and the Chinese even???

But in the real world, these downsized triples get bad fuel economy from being in cars way too big for them.

VXR
But in the real world, these downsized triples get bad fuel economy from being in cars way too big for them.
I don't think I've seen proof of that. The Ford Escape's 3-cylinder gets notably better mileage in the city than the normal 2.0 4-cylinder. We spend plenty of time sitting at traffic lights and loafing through parking lots and drive-throughs in the US and that whole time the 3-cylinder is idling with one fewer cylinder.

I don't think I've seen proof of that. The Ford Escape's 3-cylinder gets notably better mileage in the city than the normal 2.0 4-cylinder. We spend plenty of time sitting at traffic lights and loafing through parking lots and drive-throughs in the US and that whole time the 3-cylinder is idling with one fewer cylinder.

That's all fine and good but really its a perception problem. We have the Focus wagon here which looks nice but I dont want to pay $30k for a turbo 1.5 3cyl...

I would accept it in a subcompact but I would avoid it in anything bigger than that.

We have had two CRVs in the past but one they went to a turbo 1.5 we jumped over to n/a.

I would also consider that in countries with cheap fuel we would trade any turbo and direct injection issues for the relaibility of an n/a four.

I would also reject all n/a 2.0 fours in larger SUVs like the Koreans.

I notice that even in the 2.5 fours in the Subaru Nissans and Mitsubishis, they get noticeably sluggish when you have say 4 people onboard + luggage + say aircon on full blast on a hot day.so to load all that onto on a 1.5 3cyl doesnt sound good to me.

This is from someone who has owned turbo Nissan sports cars and the local turbo inline six RWD performance sedans.

I like turbos but not in these applications.

A good (or bad) example of a turbo 1.5 is in the new Bronco Sport...

Last edited:
I like turbos but not in these applications.
You're about to hate the rest of your life until EVs become the norm. Let me guess, you don't like those either?

The 1.5 in the Bronco Sport churns out 190 torques and is just as quick as every other base NA 4-cylinder on the market. It's perfectly adequate for what most people are going to do with the car which is trot around town and never do anything strenuous.

I've owned a small 3-cylinder turbo diesel in an Audi A2, weighing slightly less than a tonne and it needed hard work to stay at motorway speed. For British terrain, there's no way in hell a turbo triple will be more economic than a turbo 4 in real world driving. It would have to be worked more, more often.

You're about to hate the rest of your life until EVs become the norm. Let me guess, you don't like those either?

The 1.5 in the Bronco Sport churns out 190 torques and is just as quick as every other base NA 4-cylinder on the market. It's perfectly adequate for what most people are going to do with the car which is trot around town and never do anything strenuous.

The various drive reviews dont say that... who to believe?

In the world we live in over here its all about how much money you have.

If you have enough money then why would you even consider this or these kinds of Fwd cars?

I current have a past generation Xtrail.

2.5 cvt. It was a 'hand me down car'.

I had to get rid of a LSX 6.0 litre V8 6 spd man. sedan once I got married with kids etc.

Prior to that I had a turbo 4.0 inline six. Prior to that Japanese imports.

I would hate life if I had to live with any of these modern NPC cars. Once my kid is a bit bigger I'm back to performance cars. I mean really, why would you drive these 'crapboxes' if you didnt have to???

EVs are far away from being practical cars here. I would like a Tesla Model Y etc. but really I'd rather pay off my mortgage.

VXR
I've owned a small 3-cylinder turbo diesel in an Audi A2, weighing slightly less than a tonne and it needed hard work to stay at motorway speed. For British terrain, there's no way in hell a turbo triple will be more economic than a turbo 4 in real world driving. It would have to be worked more, more often.

I would say out of the box, many of these 1.4-1.6 turbo 3cyl 4cyl. cars are deliberately sluggish for emissions economy.

You can fix it a bit with a throttle controller and I would take these motors in a subcompact if all you wanted was a cheap city car.

But at least EVs have torque from 0 revs.

I think its hard to even go back to 2.0 n/a fours once you've driven anything nicer... further the QR25DE/VE whatever has a reputation for being reliable... would you dump that for an unknown 3 cyl. turbo??? I would bet these turbo triples are borrowed from Renault... (yuck)

Further the new Xtrail should be 1,500kg+ or 3,500lb plus. Still interested????

Wide berth from this crap.

Last edited:
Back