2021 Hyundai Elantra

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 53 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
This is a big nope from me. I'll hang on to my '17 Sport, thanks.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/03/2...ur-door-coupe-styling-and-new-hybrid-variant/

2021-Hyundai-Elantra-1-2.jpg

2021-Hyundai-Elantra-3-1.jpg

2021-Hyundai-Elantra-4-1.jpg

What the hell is Hyundai doing lately? A few years ago I really thought they had their designs down pat, but now all of their recent sedan designs have been on the ugly side. I bet this type of styling will be seen on the Veloster facelift that will probably happen in a few years.

At least it is not a boring looking car. I prefer this styling over the Fiat Tipo Sedan styling.

iu

Hyundai seems to have nope'd the front end even more than the 2019 facelift. Which is a shame, because it looks pretty good from the A-pillar onwards.

It might look better in real life? They seem like they're turning to a design language of big, intercepting, angular planes instead of more chamfered and stacked baroque details like most cars (such as that FIAT Dart). Like a 15% strength Cybertruck treatment.

Of course, the greenhouse and doorhandles kinda ruin the illusion that it's different from a normal car, and the headlights look tortured and delicate. Even though it was genius to decide the hood/bumper shutline should continue through the headlight housing, they're just the worst.

It looks decent but honestly, like you said at the beginning of the thread, it's not better than a Sport. It neither looks as sporty as the Sport or as premium as the Sport. It doesn't differentiate itself enough as the Sport (or the GT N-line) did. The interior isn't really any nicer. The car has two huge design flaws which stand out like sore thumbs, both the plastic C-pillar cladding and the infotainment surround which the Sport didn't have.

Imo the Elantra Sport DCT and the current Veloster Turbo are still the Hyundai benchmarks for sporty versions which don't have any obvious cost cutting in critical areas. Literally all they have to do is fix those two problems with this car and it suddenly appears as a really well designed option.

Imo the Elantra Sport DCT and the current Veloster Turbo are still the Hyundai benchmarks for sporty versions
Honestly the 7-speed DCT isn't that great. Started life as an economy transmission and it has more issues than it should. A lot of people have had clutch pack troubles and it probably has twice as many quirks than a VW DSG. Hopefully the new 8-speed starts making it's way down through other models than just the N cars.

A lot of people have had clutch pack troubles and it probably has twice as many quirks than a VW DSG.
Fortunately the warranty is more than twice as long as VW's so I'm perfectly fine with this.

Hopefully a bigger wing will be optional. I think something like the classic Type R wings would be appropriate.

As much as I hate to say it, I have a sneaking suspicion that this car will not be available in the United States.

So where would it be sold? The Elantra isn’t sold in Europe.
(But weirdly those sphyshots were taken in Germany I think)

I know Hyundai are at the more bargain end of the automotive spectrum, but this interior just isn't up to par. That infotainment screen surround looks like it's from 2003, if not earlier.

I don't like it either, but it's quite similar to what VAG are doing these days...

Base Jetta:
jetta5.jpg

Not-base MK8 Golf. I'm quite certain the base model (with it's inevitably smaller/simplified screen) will look pretty similar to the Hyundai. The only difference is the gloss black vs the satin finish.
2021-volkswagen-golf-gte-interior.jpg

I think the Hyundai one is worse. There's no surround, so it just looks like it was tacked on the dashboard, just an oddly shaped sea of plastic.

I think the N-Line version posted a little while ago above looks pretty fantastic, and the way the top of the trunk juts out of the fastback shape looks super aggressive.

Just kind of stinks Hyundai has failed to have a consistent design language over the past couple years.

1624386851337.png

Not bad at all. At least the front bumper looks much better than the one from the OP.

This is just the regular N, so no LSD? I haven't heard good things about the high horsepower front wheel drive variants from Hyundai/Kia.

Edit: So it does have a diff. This may be alright. 👌

Last edited:
I don't like how the front bumper of the N look. I still think that the Elantra is a bit weird looking and that black bumper doesn't help at all.
This is just the regular N, so no LSD? I haven't heard good things about the high horsepower front wheel drive variants from Hyundai/Kia.

Edit: So it does have a diff. This may be alright. 👌
Yep, like you said in your edit, it'll have the e-LSD, N is the top "sporty line". If they can get a smoother ride and less wheel hop than the Veloster N, while still handling as well, it should be a winner.

As far as I know, the Sonata N-line (and Kia K5 GT) is the only one having trouble putting its power down. The Elantra N-Line is alright even without the e-LSD.

Interesting offering a three box 4-door. I would have thought a wagon would be choice. Well, I guess this puts a nail in the Mazda3 coffin.

Some photos of the Elantra N fully uncovered have emerged and the approach they have taken with the front bumper is... Interesting, to say the least.
zix8n5sobqm6ovtxnvki.jpg

Given how they emphasize their grilles these days I was not expecting a blacked-out front end treatment. Interesting. Looks good from a distance but I think we need better pics to really see how it changes the face.

I'm really not a fan of that tacked-on spoiler at all. I'd rather have a ducktail or a Type-R style wing.

Back