2021 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 936 comments
Going off the images of the Mustang chassis on the Supercars site. I'm guessing that the GT style video camera in place of the rear view mirror is going ahead? I like it but like the paddle shift, it hardly screams cost cutting.

MH8_0731-1.jpg

Last edited:
Going off the images of the Mustang chassis on the Supercars site. I'm guessing that the GT style video camera in place of the rear view mirror is going ahead? I like it but like the paddle shift, it hardly screams cost cutting.

MH8_0731-1.jpg
I think you may be right :)

MH8_0732.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing something in one of these pictures to provide some scale. Going by the height of the rear roll hoop and where it would have to sit in a Mustang (which to me looks to be the far more difficult car to fit because of the fastback design) I think it looks to be very small. It also doesn't have the bolt on parts of the chassis attached yet which further leads me to my conclusion on size. Could be challenging for some of the taller guys doing driver swaps at the enduros.

I also think the paddle shifter is a done deal, probably auto blip too.

Edit: Just add opening doors, different wheels and few other things and this TA2 car would have been an ideal starter point.

It's also great to James pay tribute to his father and one of the cars that first got me interested in motorsport.

moffat_TransAm_impression.jpg

Last edited:
Depending where the tv camera is positioned in the cars, it'll be fine to view cars behind in the screen.
I'd think rear vision cameras are cheap nowadays. Unless they're at NASA prices, just because.

Depending where the tv camera is positioned in the cars, it'll be fine to view cars behind in the screen.
I'd think rear vision cameras are cheap nowadays. Unless they're at NASA prices, just because.
The ones for road cars are dirt cheap now but I'm not sure they'd put up with the lap after lap pounding over kerbs a Supercar does. The screens would have to be of a very high quality to take the punishment, and unless the camera's are built into the rear wing then not so much an issue for them (possibly??) as I don't think they'll be there in working condition for too long... especially for the mid to tail end of the pack runners :sly:

Edit: I should add that the price is also relative to what they have now ;). I agree with the first part 👍

Last edited:
I also think the paddle shifter is a done deal, probably auto blip too.

Oh, I've got no doubt about that at all. Despite all the uproar from majority of drivers and fans. It shows that they either aren't listening, or don't care.

At this stage, I would care if the cars were 4-speed automatics with an overdrive button. These dudes need to fix the series.

Today's kids won't care what transmission or where the rear vision camera is. They'll be too busy on their phones. Old heads that love the beginning of ATCC through today, aren't going to buy Foxtel and track tickets. The racing need to be top notch.
The rules need to be clearly defined.
The entertainment package(tickets, tv, fan access) need to be spot on.

What was it, 2014 or 2015... with eight or nine different winners at the start of the season? From P1 to last place, need to be in with a chance to win.

Oh, I've got no doubt about that at all. Despite all the uproar from majority of drivers and fans. It shows that they either aren't listening, or don't care.
It also could be that they put way too much stock into what one particular man and his team say/want. Dutto and RD have both been vocal about wanting paddle shifts for years now and I don't think JW's experimental steering wheel was a coincidence either.

During my first trip here, I wasn't at the circuit, but watching it on Aussie tv, surrounded by Aussies, was an experience.

That race was an absolute classic, even if Skaife binned it at the top of the mountain.

With the greater Melbourne area experiencing a small Covid cluster right now. I'm half expecting this weekend to be delayed.

Last edited:
Well at this stage it's going to proceed as normal.
So far so good then, but I really don't understand our governments thinking sometimes. How the **** can it be okay to break the rules at Winton and the footy but not okay in your own home. Especially after they already know a positive case attended the footy last weekend :crazy:.

I wish you guys in Victoria well after what you've already been through. I think if this was in WA, SA or Queensland they'd already have short lockdown.

So far so good then, but I really don't understand our governments thinking sometimes. How the **** can it be okay to break the rules at Winton and the footy but not okay in your own home. Especially after they already know a positive case attended the footy last weekend :crazy:.

I wish you guys in Victoria well after what you've already been through. I think if this was in WA, SA or Queensland they'd already have short lockdown.
Yeah the contradictions are absurd and it's totally unfair. There shouldn't even be restrictions on gatherings when you have several thousand at the footy. Targeted responses are required but the Victorian government can't seem to manage that properly. It's a shame.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/05/28/gen3-engine-details-come-to-light/
Among speculation to have circulated widely was the possibility of a radical concept to forgo engine parity if the 5.4-litre Ford and 6.2-litre GM were selected, and instead adopt a GT-style of solution with timed pit stops.

The chances of that kind of system coming to fruition now seem especially slim.
:eek: I hope the chances of this kind of system coming to fruition are ZERO!!!

They need to keep the 5 litre engine! Why would you even think about abandoning that when it's such an integral part of the parity? Running 2 different engines built by two different manufacturers is sure to create problems. It should be like BTCC where all the engines are the same!
A lot of the teams wanted to run their existing 5 litre engines and just detune them to keep costs down but apparently from what I've read in multiple articles they don't fit in the Gen 3 chassis. I don't think they'll have too much of an issue balancing them as long as they use the 5.4L Ford engine and the 5.7L GM engine (not the 6.2L).

One of the comments makes the point NASCAR seem more like V8 Supercars than (V8)Supercars.

I know I go in circles with the MARC Cars thing, but again.... the formula to move forward, been right there all this time. Any body style, any engine configuration from V8 down to I4.

Even if Seamer ripped off MARC cars, similar to the way the S5000 program went down, at least there'd be a logical and smooth transition, to the next gen cars.

Whether these engines are running well and further along than us fans can see, the delay looks bad. Teams knowing about the goings on just as much as the fans know, is bad. The major racing series in Australia, is bad.

I need to go to sleep...

Last edited:
A lot of the teams wanted to run their existing 5 litre engines and just detune them to keep costs down but apparently from what I've read in multiple articles they don't fit in the Gen 3 chassis. I don't think they'll have too much of an issue balancing them as long as they use the 5.4L Ford engine and the 5.7L GM engine (not the 6.2L).
Wait is that some kind of joke? A 5 litre engine doesn't fit but a 5.4 and a 5.7 litre engine does? WTF?

Wait is that some kind of joke? A 5 litre engine doesn't fit but a 5.4 and a 5.7 litre engine does? WTF?
It's the outside dimensions not the inside capacity ;). As far as I know it's something to do with the intake on the 5 litre engines.

Edit: Found one of the articles that mentioned it: https://autoaction.com.au/2021/05/11/gen3-chassis-to-cost-55k

The real problem is that the highly developed five-litre Supercars V8s won’t fit under Gen3’s new low-line bonnet profile.

AUTO ACTION understands that the Gen3 dimensions mean the tall crossover intake stacks make the engines too tall.

Insiders say the cost of redeveloping the intake system to fit the new bonnet profile would be prohibitive.

Last edited:
Back