2021 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 936 comments
Redesigning the intake apparently is more expensive than developing a whole new engine? What?
The costs are two different things really. One is being funded by Supercars to be done once for every team and once only. The other is by all the teams and would continue to be an ongoing cost.

I was confused at first too (still am a bit :guilty:) but after thinking about it I realized firstly they're probably not really developing a whole new engine. Most of the hard work would be done before they get the crate engines, and when you compare that to however many teams are doing their own engine development (6 maybe?? DJR, T8, Tickford, WAU, KGR, and BJR??) I can sort of see how redeveloping something that doesn't even physically fit to have the same performance and characteristics it had before x 6 would be prohibitive.

Electronic gear shifting is locked in for Gen3. Now the question is whether they'll keep the gear stick or move to paddles. Think we can guess what the answer will be though...

Last edited:
Electronic gear shifting is locked in for Gen3. Now the question is whether they'll keep the gear stick or move to paddles. Think we can guess what the answer will be though...

Seeing as Gen 3 is supposed to be a lot about cost cutting I think this bit from Burgess pretty much sums up where they're heading.
"Or, if we want to save costs and we want to protect the engines better, and we want more life out of the gearboxes, then we go to the other extreme where you take control of the blip and you have a paddle shift gearbox.''

Last edited:
Another season i'll be bypassing. Leaves only one more year for Newcastle. At least the cars will be sorted by then.

What a joke. They go through all that trouble to assure everyone that they were on time, and then do a sudden complete 180. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/06/09/supercars-earmarks-debut-event-for-gen3/

''Asked what Supercars stands to gain by a mid-year rollout in 2022, a Supercars spokesperson said, “We wanted to get the new cars out for fans and partners as soon as possible.''

We all know it's the ''and partners'' bit so why can't Supercars just admit it! Whether it's teams partners (Both T8/GM/Sponsors and DJR/Ford have a possibly got a hand in this) or to do with Archer Capital flogging off Supercars they just need to come clean, because they just look stupid saying it's for the fans. They never, ever do anything the fans want.

They need to at least do a "clay" model of the Gen3 cars for Newcastle next year. Black out the windows of a concept car.

''Asked what Supercars stands to gain by a mid-year rollout in 2022, a Supercars spokesperson said, “We wanted to get the new cars out for fans and partners as soon as possible.''

We all know it's the ''and partners'' bit so why can't Supercars just admit it! Whether it's teams partners (Both T8/GM/Sponsors and DJR/Ford have a possibly got a hand in this) or to do with Archer Capital flogging off Supercars they just need to come clean, because they just look stupid saying it's for the fans. They never, ever do anything the fans want.

Yeah, there's so many unanswered questions and the silence from Supercars outside of these "PR" releases is deafening. Think Michael Caruso has summed it up very well.
“Are they going to get to test it? What’s it going to look like? Is there going to be a mid-season break and everybody just throws the other cars away and starts testing? Are they going to stop the championship in August and give someone the first part of the championship and someone have the second part?

“I don’t know how you can award a championship to someone who has been in two completely different race cars, in my opinion.

“And they don’t really give any information as well. Again, they haven’t exactly explained why they want to do it mid-season.

“I feel like they sometimes succumb to pressure from certain people and certain organisations that they shouldn’t because they should be more worried about the people that really keep this sport going and that’s the fans at the end of the day".

It sort of feels similar to what's been happening in the NRL over the past couple of seasons. Where the rules of the game are being changed on a whim of a few select people.

Last edited:

Madness. This is how you kill a championship. A mid-season shift to a completely new car? You've got to be joking.

Last edited:
I think Formula One used to do that. Starting with one car and by the end of the season, it was a totally different evolution.

As Caruso said, this series changes regulations as the wind blows.

I think Formula One used to do that. Starting with one car and by the end of the season, it was a totally different evolution.
They weren't building them to a new set of regulations though. The B spec cars seen in the 80's and 90's such as the MP4/5B were still based on the same chassis as the A spec car, just with a few updates. Mainly to the aerodynamics. Introducing a brand new chassis that's different to the previous one in the middle of a season is a recipe for disaster. Let alone a new engine...

Pizza Hut branding for Hazelwood's ride for the next couple of rounds.

E3lG0bTVUAE89W6

Always nice to see a new sponsor in the series. Good looking livery too, imo.

With Chaz re-signing with WAU on a "multi year" deal. Guess it's now between Broc and Brodie for Whincup's seat.
Gotta say though, with all the bs going on about Gen 3 I'm not nearly as excited as I normally would be :guilty:

Understandable. I'm still eager for it though. It's felt like forever since the last round.

Back