2021 Touring Car Discussion Thread - TCR, BTCC, etc.Touring Cars 

That's a big shock I didn't see coming, will be unfortunate to seem him leave the BTCC grid. Especially given how close Dan Cam has come to a title the last 3 years. Between himself and Ingram leaving Speedworks, there's been some really surprising moves during the off-season. Eager to see how the Team HARD Cupra Leon's turn out.

What's also interesting with Team Dynamics, with Cammish departing and Neal in the twilight of his BTCC career, there's the prospect of an entirely new line-up for the first time since 2009, in the coming years. I do see Neal seeking a management role within the team upon retirement, and likewise I could see his sons filling a seat; specifically Henry Neal.

Real shame to see Dan leaving, based on the Autosport article mentioning rumours of Honda pulling out (which wouldn't be surprising under the current circumstances) it's almost certainly about £££. Matt is already in a management position in the team (I think he might be team principal) so that wouldn't be anything new.

Current rumours are suggesting Dan Rowbottom, which would fit with the need for a driver bringing money. Could be Henry in the other car, but again money is going to be a factor if the Honda support is gone (I've also heard someone suggest Halfords might be departing as sponsors...).

Real shame to see Dan leaving, based on the Autosport article mentioning rumours of Honda pulling out (which wouldn't be surprising under the current circumstances) it's almost certainly about £££. Matt is already in a management position in the team (I think he might be team principal) so that wouldn't be anything new.

Current rumours are suggesting Dan Rowbottom, which would fit with the need for a driver bringing money. Could be Henry in the other car, but again money is going to be a factor if the Honda support is gone (I've also heard someone suggest Halfords might be departing as sponsors...).

It is, as Dan's been consistently at the front the last 3 years. Upon reading the Autosport article I concur, rumours of Honda pulling support are unsurprising given the current financial climate. Whilst I'm 99% sure Team Dynamics would go on without the backing, as they've done in the past, it would be a big hit nonetheless. Especially if Halfords were to end sponsorship at the same time.

All ties with the loss of Cammish being money related, in similar vein to how Jordan couldn't secure his WSR seat last year (would be great to see him on the grid again). After a sabbatical it could be Rowbottom if the grapevine's to be believed, I wont speculate too much though. Will have to see, but who knows now that it's thrown up in the air.

I think I read somewhere(?) about Matt having an increased managerial role in the future, though Steve is still team Principal I believe. Brief check reminds me Matt holds a directing role on the motorsport side of things. I could see him taking over from his father as Principal, given his integrity within the team already.

It does make you wonder how others, manufacturers and independents alike are coping in light of the pandemic. Its impressive really, that the entry list remained strong last year, through to 2021. But nevertheless many will still feel the financial repercussions in the coming months and years I fear.

Last edited:
Way I reckon this has gone:

~Cammish/Shedden signed for '21.
~Honda/Halfords or both pulled their backing, leaving a major sponsor gap. Shedden is more loaded than Dan so Dan's seat was at risk.
~The other Honda driver (reportedly Rowbottom) comes in with his Cataclean money which is perfect for the team, but team needs a 3rd TBL.
~Someone blocked 3rd TBL (see Neal's tweet about people blocking attempts to keep Dan on the grid).
~Cammish fell as a result

Of course! Shedden had to be the best option to fill the 2nd Dynamics seat. After a 3 year hiatus, its great to see Flash back even if at great cost to lose Cammish this way. Hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel for Dan, he's more than good enough for a seat on the grid.

But given the rumours around Honda and Halfords pulling out, I reckon there more behind the scenes regarding Rowbottom and funding etc, etc...

The 2022 spec M-Sport "TOCA Engine" is to hit the track for testing soon

Sounding very good so far.

Last edited:
Does ARG normally not have tickets on sale for the Fridays of their events? Was going to head to the island today but the only tickets on sale are for Saturday and Sunday unfortunately.

Does ARG normally not have tickets on sale for the Fridays of their events? Was going to head to the island today but the only tickets on sale are for Saturday and Sunday unfortunately.
It was free on the Friday at The Bend last year (edit: It was actually 2019) but it looks like Covid restrictions this year have changed that. Apparently no spectator's allowed today according to this story: https://tcraustralia.com/2021/02/18/tickets-now-on-sale-for-rescheduled-phillip-island-event/

While the venue will be closed to spectators for Friday’s practice day,

Last edited:
Did the Honda's get a little BOP tweak? They are a hell of a lot more competitive so far than the first round.
I think it's just set up. Hondas across all TCR, were always quick. We saw Nestor wipe the field at Sandown.
Haven't read about any separate BOPs by TCRA.

Coverage for the weekend:

TV SCHEDULE
LIVE AND FREE ON 7MATE AND 7PLUS

CATCH ALL THE RACING ACTION, LIVE AND FREE ON THE SCREENS OF SEVEN IN 2021.

PHILLIP ISLAND ROUND – MARCH 13-14

SATURDAY, MARCH 13

7mate – 11:00am-3:00pm AEDT
7plus Extended Coverage – 10:00am-4:00pm AEDT

SUNDAY, MARCH 14

7mate – 11:00am-3:00pm AEDT
7plus Extended Coverage – 10:00am-3:00pm AEDT

Outside Australia/New Zealand

Last edited:
That was one hell of a drive in those conditions from Chaz. Holdsworth up there as well. Pretty good day for WAU drivers.

Snetterton and Brands Indy pushed back to try and get fans in. Thruxton will be behind closed doors. Rest of the dates stand as is.

Going by that article, it seems like Neal will be taking a sabbatical from racing while staying on in a brand ambassador/mentor role. Should be interesting how Rowbottom builds on what he has learnt so far and to see how he fares in the championship-capable FK8.

TouringCarTimes also report that Honda has pulled works backing from Team Dynamics, but the multi-year partnership between Halfords and Cataclean sounds encouraging. Both sponsors seem eager to get involved at the start of the hybrid era which bodes well for the team's future in coming seasons.

Last edited:
Back