2022 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 424 comments
Is Porsche the only one so far that has announced customer cars? I haven't heard about BMW and Acura.
BMW has ruled out customer teams for '23 but is open to the idea for '24. I couldn't find anything on Acura making cars available or not.
Ganassi and Action Express running Cadillacs?
Yup, I don't think they've announced who will run where though besides Ganassi running the WEC program.

Interestingly it seems we may actually see an Alpine on the grid as well in '24. Obviously it would require either a re-badging or an exception from IMSA but if it means having Andretti in the top class I have to imagine they would work something out.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/andretti-deal-would-make-full-use-of-alpines-lmdh-program/

Cadillac
Ganassi - 01/02
AXR- 31/48 part time

Acura
MSR-60
WTR-10

BMW
RLL 24/25

Porsche
Penske - 6/7
JDC -5

Maybe??
So that's 10 GTP's mostly full time, throw in the 48 for the endurance events for 2023. Then throw in Ferrari and Lamborghini for 2024. You could end up having upwards of 15 GTP's for 2024, I like the sound of that.

Cadillac
Ganassi - 01/02
AXR- 31/48 part time

Acura
MSR-60
WTR-10

BMW
RLL 24/25

Porsche
Penske - 6/7
JDC -5

Maybe??
Supposedly there will be an additional Porsche team to be announced at a later date (probably Petit Le Mans weekend).

***Paddock rumors have indicated that the second wave of Porsche LMDh customer cars will likely be announced within the next few months. Sportscar365 understands that an undisclosed European-based team is poised to operate the second IMSA car alongside Saturday’s confirmation of JDC-Miller Motorsports.

My guess is M-Sport since they are still planning on doing some IMSA races despite missing this weekend.
So that's 10 GTP's mostly full time, throw in the 48 for the endurance events for 2023. Then throw in Ferrari and Lamborghini for 2024. You could end up having upwards of 15 GTP's for 2024, I like the sound of that.
Wayne Taylor has said his goal is to expand to 2 cars for '24 as well so that's another possible entry. ACO has also been lobbying on behalf of Glickenhaus so who knows what will happen there (he's also threatened to sue IMSA but I can't see that ending well for him).

Supposedly there will be an additional Porsche team to be announced at a later date (probably Petit Le Mans weekend).

My guess is M-Sport since they are still planning on doing some IMSA races despite missing this weekend.

Wayne Taylor has said his goal is to expand to 2 cars for '24 as well so that's another possible entry. ACO has also been lobbying on behalf of Glickenhaus so who knows what will happen there (he's also threatened to sue IMSA but I can't see that ending well for him).
It's a good problem to have but are you going to be able to run that many GTP's and still run all of the other classes? I guess you could. What are there now 6 0r 7 LMP2's, 10 LMP3's, 20 GT's. That would be nearly 60 cars for each non endurance round where all of the classes run.

It's a good problem to have but are you going to be able to run that many GTP's and still run all of the other classes? I guess you could. What are there now 6 0r 7 LMP2's, 10 LMP3's, 20 GT's. That would be nearly 60 cars for each non endurance round where all of the classes run.
Probably just do away with LMP3. It feels like a stop-gap solution between the end of GTLM and the start of GTD Pro.

Last edited:
Jack Hawksworth is out this weekend with an injury. Kamui Kobayashi will be subbing for him in the #14 Lexus.

Aaron Telitz filled in yesterday for the Riley Motorsports #14 Supra during the Michelin Pilot race.

Very happy with the Cadillac win today when it looked like this race was about to be another easy 1-2 for the Acuras in the late going.

According to Marshall Pruett the mysterious 4th IMSA Porsche could be going to Foyt in partnership with J.R. Hildebrand. On the one hand it seems incredibly unlikely considering how their IndyCar program has been, but on the flip side I can't see Marshall putting this out there if there wasn't something behind it.

Daytona can't come soon enough!

Revised list
Cadillac
Ganassi - 01 (02) In WEC
AXR- 31

Acura
MSR-60
WTR-10

BMW
RLL 24/25

Porsche
Penske - 6/7
JDC -5

Maybe?? Foyt/JR Hildebrand

Biggest question I have is IF (and that's a big "If") it is indeed Foyt, where the hell are they getting the money for that?

Biggest question I have is IF (and that's a big "If") it is indeed Foyt, where the hell are they getting the money for that?
Shrink the Indycar team? Probably have one car in Indycar(full/part-time) and use that money to fund the GTP side?

Last edited:
Lime Rock
Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

Sounds more and more like I'll be going to Road America next year. Driving through Chicago and Milwaukee will be a pain, but if Mid-Ohio is no longer an option I'd rather do that than deal with Indy traffic the whole weekend.

IMSA has confirmed that Indianapolis will be on next year's schedule, likely replacing Mid Ohio.

Surely with Acura in the series, there would still be some sort of pulling power to keep Mid-Ohio (Like with Penske and Detroit in Indycar, though its funny that it took until he was in charge for them to finally move it from Belle Isle).

Last edited:
Surely with Acura in the series, there would still be some sort of pulling power to keep Mid-Ohio (Like with Penske and Detroit in Indycar, though its funny that it took until he was in charge for them to finally move it from Belle Isle).
Lexus replaced them as the race sponsor this year so I'm not super sure how important the race is to their program.
Sounds more and more like I'll be going to Road America next year. Driving through Chicago and Milwaukee will be a pain, but if Mid-Ohio is no longer an option I'd rather do that than deal with Indy traffic the whole weekend.
Would highly recommend it if you've never been there before, especially if you are planning on camping.

Back