24 Heures du Mans 2011 - 79th Grand Prix d'Endurance - June 11-12

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 2,362 comments
He just always seems sooooo unhappy!

Anyway.. OBVIOUSLY I'm most interested in the GT classes, and BMW looking pretty strong so far. In the prototype classes, I guess I'm cheering for Peugeot :D (The enemy of my enemy is my friend :D )

Stephane Sarrazin sets the best overall time during the 1st Qualifying session at 3:27:033!! Go Peugeot!! Aim for 3:25.5 :)

So these qualifying times will be taken to Qualifying Session 2 right? In case if it rains in Q2 then Peugeot etc. will still stay where they are?

Times:

1. Sarrazin/Montagny/Minassian Peugeot Sport Total Peugeot 908 3m 27.033s LMP1
2. Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R18 TDI 3m 27.939s LMP1
3. Bernhard/Dumas/Rockenfeller Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R18 TDI 3m 27.949s LMP1
4. Kristensen/Capello/McNish Audi Sport North America Audi R18 TDI 3m 28.301s LMP1
5. Davidson/Gene/Wurz Peugeot Sport Total Peugeot 908 3m 28.796s LMP1
6. Bourdais/Pagenaud/Lamy Team Peugeot Total Peugeot 908 3m 29.466s LMP1
7. Lapierre/Duval/Panis Team Oreca Matmut Peugeot 908 HDI 3m 30.084s LMP1
8. Collard/Tinseau/Jousse Pescarolo Team Pescarolo-Judd 3m 35.456s LMP1
9. Prost/Jani/Bleekemolen Rebellion Racing Lola Coupe-Toyota 3m 37.404s LMP1
10. Belicchi/Boullion/Smith Rebellion Racing Lola Coupe-Toyota 3m 38.351s LMP1

11. Moreau/Ragues/Monteiro OAK Racing Pescarolo-Judd 3m 39.672s LMP1
12. Amaral/Pla/Hughes Quifel-ASM Zytek 09SCM 3m 41.019s LMP1
13. Leventis/Watts/Kane Strakka Racing HPD ARX-01d 3m 42.615s LMP2
14. Ayari/Maileux/Ordonez Signatech Nissan Oreca-Nissan 3m 43.124s LMP2
15. Primat/Hallyday/Kraihamer Team Oreca Matmut Oreca-Nissan 3m 43.654s LMP2
16. Ojjeh/Kimber-Smith/Lombard Greaves Motorsport Zytek-Nissan 3m 43.814s LMP2
17. Frey/Meichtry/Rostan Race Performance Oreca-Judd BMW 3m 44.294s LMP2
18. Ickx/Martin/Leinders Kronos Racing Lola Aston Martin 3m 44.415s LMP1
19. Companc/Russo/Kaffer Pecom Racing Lola-Judd BMW 3m 45.997s LMP2
20. Newton/Erdos/Collins RML HPD ARX-01d 3m 47.308s LMP2

21. Zacchia/Lammers/Elgaard Hope Racing Oreca Hybrid 3m 47.691s LMP1
22. Nakano/De Crem/Charouz OAK Racing Pescarolo-BMW 3m 48.211s LMP2
23. Hein/Nicolet/Yvon OAK Racing Pescarolo-Judd 3m 48.852s LMP1
24. Tucker/Bouchut/Barbosa Level 5 Motorsports Lola Coupe-HPD 3m 51.149s LMP2
25. Rosier/Haezbrouck/de Fournoux Extreme Limite AM Paris Norma-Judd BMW 3m 51.438s LMP2
26. Primat/Fernandez/Meyrick Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin AMR-One 3m 56.637s LMP1
27. Mucke/Turner/Klien Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin AMR-One 3m 56.847s LMP1
28. Barlesi/Da Rocha/Lafargue OAK Racing Pescarolo-Judd BMW 3m 57.453s LMP2
29. Priaulx/Muller/Hand BMW Motorsport BMW M3 GT 3m 58.426s GTE-P
30. Fisichella/Bruni/Vilander AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia 3m 58.989s GTE-P

31. Farfus/Muller/Werner BMW Motorsport BMW M3 GT 3m 59.321s GTE-P
32. Gavin/Magnussen/Westbrook Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C6 3m 59.519s GTE-P
33. Beretta/Milner/Garcia Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C6 3m 59.633s GTE-P
34. Ortelli/Makowiecki/Melo Luxury Racing Ferrari 458 Italia 3m 59.901s GTE-P
35. Goossens/Holzer/Van Lagen Prospeed Competition Porsche 997 RSR 3m 59.962s GTE-P
36. Lieb/Lietz/Henzler Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 997 RSR 3m 59.998s GTE-P
37. Farnbacher/Simonsen/Keen Hankook Team Farnbacher Ferrari 458 Italia 4m 00.260s GTE-P
38. Hancock/Dolan/Buncombe Jota Aston Martin Vantage 4m 00.747s GTE-P
39. Bergmeister/Long/Luhr Flying Lizard Motorsport Porsche 997 RSR 4m 01.480s GTE-P
40. Beltoise/Thiriet/Jakubowski Luxury Racing Ferrari 458 Italia 4m 02.017s GTE-P

41. Tandy/Al Faisal/Miller Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 997 RSR 4m 02.049s GTE-P
42. Bourret/Gibon/Belloc Larbe Competition Porsche 997 RSR 4m 03.918s GTE-A
43. Neiman/Law/Pumpelly Flying Lizard Motorsport Porsche 997 RSR 4m 04.747s GTE-A
44. Giroix/Wainwright/Goethe Gulf AMR Middle East Aston Martin Vantage 4m 04.825s GTE-A
45. Felbermayr/Felbermayr/Ried Proton Competition Porsche 997 RSR 4m 05.154s GTE-A
46. Krohn/Jonsson/Rugulo Krohn Racing Ferrari F430 4m 05.856s GTE-A
47. Bornhauser/Canal/Gardel Larbre Competition Chevrolet Corvette C6 4m 05.955s GTE-A
48. Bell/Sugden/Maasen JMW Motorsport Ferrari 458 Italia 4m 06.884s GTE-P
49. Hirschi/Rossiter/Mowlem Lotus Jetalliance Lotus Evora 4m 07.465s GTE-P
50. Kauffman/Waltrip/Aguas AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia 4m 08.213s GTE-P

51. Perazzini/Cioci/Breslin AF Corse Ferrari F430 4m 10.316s GTE-A
52. Rodrigues/Menahem/Marroc JMB Racing Ferrari F430 4m 10.335s GTE-A
53. Slingerland/Rich/Hartshorne Lotus Jetalliance Lotus Evora 4m 17.379s GTE-P
54. Ehret/Wills/Lynn CRS Racing Ferrari F430 4m 26.249s GTE-A
55. Robertson/Robertson/Murry Robertson Racing Doran Ford GT No time GTE-A
56. Narac/Pilet/Armindo IMSA Performance Matmut Porsche 997 RSR No time GTE-P

Correct :)

spy.

Thanks mate! ;)

The #76 IMSA Porsche which was involved in a crash during the first practice session and didn't take part during the qualifying was taken to their factory as I understand which is about 2 hours down the road. They seem to have done quite a lot of damage after the shunt...

Any idea what happened to the Robertson/Robertson/Murry Robertson Racing Doran Ford GT?

Any idea what happened to the Robertson/Robertson/Murry Robertson Racing Doran Ford GT?

I saw the car spun at the Dunlop Chicane about an hour in the qualifying session. No news after that though...

Last edited:
One team I find interesting in their absence from any entry list is the Welter Racing Team... They have been mainstays (and backmarkers) for many years. Did they just not make the cut or did they never enter?

Uhhh... I don't see that working too well.

I'm not an engineer or anything, but I am unsure if the car will create enough downforce to compete. yes, it's going to be half the mass of a normal car (maybe), but will it be able to be anything other than a mobile chicane? time will tell...

Wow ... Highcroft sure surprised me with this one. Even yesterday I was replying to a enquiry they put up to know where would fans like to see them race (99,99% of answers were ALMS+Le Mans). And now this??

I'm not sure either about how this car can effectively race. Even if it could work in ovals (and this concept was created for Indy) road circuits with left and right corners PLUS elevation changes are completely different racing environments. And even among these, the hardest and most demanding (stability -wise) must be circuits that use public roads, like ... Le Mans!

If GT games are anything to go by, the Hunaudieres must be one of the straights in this world where it is most difficult to keep the car pointed in the right direction.

But oh well, I'm all for innovation, after all I still have a picture of an ESSEX Lotus 88 somewhere :D

Here a better picture (render) of what they want to build:

picture.php

And an interesting reply from Highcroft to a couple of fans:

Mike:
All right! I really wanted to see that car race. Maybe add some very small front wings? Or not :)

Palmieri:
This was stolen from IndyCar!No one wanted it in the IndyCar Series and all the fans made fun of it!

Highcroft Racing:
Palmieri - you can't steal something that somebody didn't want. IndyCar's loss is our gain. Mike - it doesn't need front wings to go fast. All the downforce required is generated from the undertray.

I'm amazed no one (from DeltaWing or anyone else) has addressed the issue of the front axle, it makes me think its a really easy or obvious answer. How does it turn a tight or even high speed corner without going over its grip limit? Surely designing the axle so short introduces a limit to how much the wheels/tyres can grip the road and turn the car? It doesn't matter how much downforce you create, if the mechanical/tyre grip of the car doesn't exist, its not going to turn.

All I can see in my head is this car understeering into every corner and constantly having to take extremely wide lines.

It also seems to me that the combination with the much wider rear axle will make the understeer/loss of grip issue worse, as the car won't lean at all. It takes away the weight transfer which surely creates the elements of oversteer which allows cars to make tight turns?

I wonder how more complicated would the undertray look like.. Looks like a pair of scissors going really fast!

How does it turn a tight or even high speed corner without going over its grip limit?
Maybe it's wider than we think it is. The picture does show a cockpit and a space next to it that could hold a second passenger (not that it ever would). So it could be as wide as a conventional car at the front end.

I don't think so, its not going to be super-wide. The issue is more to do with the wide rear axle and the narrow front axle. To me this would create masses of understeer.
The wider the axle - the more grip is how I understand it. So the rear is going to have tons of grip and the front is going to have none (or rather, a lot less).

With the front wheels so close together there's got to be some massive compromises in how they engineer the suspension. I'm also amazed that they believe heat build-up and dissipation won't be an issue with the tyres and brake disks in such close proximity. Brakes aren't such an issue on an oval, but a 24hr road course with some massive braking areas?

Agree. I think they'll have to evolve the shape to some sort of hammerhead shark :D and even then they'll need to add some wings/stabilizers at the front (even if litle). Problem is ... it won't be a delta wing concept anymore, will it?

Maybe it's wider than we think it is. The picture does show a cockpit and a space next to it that could hold a second passenger (not that it ever would). So it could be as wide as a conventional car at the front end.

Here are the specs, won't be anywhere near road car dimensions..
Speed.com
Vehicle weight: 475kg
Horsepower: 300 BHP
Wheel base: 2.9 m
Aerodynamic drag: Cd 0.24
Front track: 0.6m
Rear track: 1.7m
O/A length: 4.65 m
O/A width: 2.00m
Height: 1.03 m
Brakes: Carbon discs and pads
Fuel cell capacity: 40 liters
Chassis construction: lightweight composite
Front tire: 4.0/23.0 R15
Rear tire: 12.5/24.5 R15
Weight distribution: 27.5% Front/72.5% Rear
Link

Will be rather interesting, at least it's guaranteed a class victory.:lol:

Just got bac k today, managed to watch quali after-all 👍

Bit miffed at Nick Leventis again. I know the team probably wouldn't be half as succseful without his family's backing and he isn't professional, but my god he crashes a lot.

If that Deltawing thing can race at Le Mans then surely a hybrid/flybrid Caparo T1 should be able to enter in its own class too?

Only if the Caparo fits in with the rules for a particular class. The DeltaWing is being entered, but it has to comply with the regulations. It will probably be LMP-2. You can't just turn up with a Caparo T1 and expect to race - you have to do enough to earn an invitation first, and you can't get an invitation without having a car that complies with the regulations.

"In 2010 the ACO Sporting Committee decided to create the garage #56 to promote new technologies," said ACO sports director Vincent Beaumesnil. "When the ACO Management met the representative of the DeltaWing project everybody thought immediately that it would be a high quality project for Le Mans Experimental entry in 2012."

Its getting its own class (the Deltawang) so you'd think an all carbon superlightweight hybrid racer would surely get a invite from the ACO if a team were to apply to race as an experimental car.

Considering that carbon fibre is commonly used, many cars are already incredibly light, and the manufacturers are extensively experimenting with various hybrid technologies, the Caparo T1 doesn't exactly have anything groundbreaking in it.

Back