26 cars lined up for 2010 & bile from Bernie

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 441 comments
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8256739.stm

More info on the BMW sale...

I think BMW would do well to keep selling it's F1 engine though... seems to be pretty good - and that side of the business is easily profitable.

C.

Wow... I think more good news for me actually. Sauber is still alive!!! I think it's better if BMW sell F1 engine and I agree with you... They should do the thing that they did long time ago... Sell engines to the teams like Cosworth do currently...

Lotus and QADBAK have thrown my predictions out! I'll have to do it again. I also made a few adjustments. Time for more epicality:

<snip>

You know - I didn't realise that you'd changed your (user)name and was a bit meh about your post thinking - he's copied half of it from "Do you race?"

C.

Pardon the double-post, but I've heard the rumour that Czech Le Mans outfit Charouz Racing Systems has or will purchase Renault on behalf of Dave Richards, who works with Charouz in supplying an Aston Martin chassis for their LMP cars. With it are two competing theories: 1) that Renault will be re-styled as Prodrive F1 straight away, or 2) that the team wll be known as Charouz-Renault with Richards at the helm until such time as Renault are able to re-enter the sport of their own accord, in which case they will buy the team back (if they style it as an unofficial works team) or purchase another, like Toro Rosso.

Pardon the double-post, but I've heard the rumour that Czech Le Mans outfit Charouz Racing Systems has or will purchase Renault on behalf of Dave Richards, who works with Charouz in supplying an Aston Martin chassis for their LMP cars. With it are two competing theories: 1) that Renault will be re-styled as Prodrive F1 straight away, or 2) that the team wll be known as Charouz-Renault with Richards at the helm until such time as Renault are able to re-enter the sport of their own accord, in which case they will buy the team back (if they style it as an unofficial works team) or purchase another, like Toro Rosso.

And a LINK for the good man... First place I read it, if anyone finds a better one, feel free to post.

Jan Charouz races for AMR Eastern Europe in Le Mans Series, AMR cars are prepared by prodrive so that makes sense to me.
Le_Mans_2009_DL_07111.JPG

And a LINK for the good man... First place I read it, if anyone finds a better one, feel free to post.
Yeah, Autosport forums is where I got it from, but I generally don't post links to other forum posts when I'm making claims. If it's a rumour, I'll just post it straight so that things don't get out of control, but if there's a story attached, I'll be sure to include ie.

Been there, done that:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3547945&postcount=225

When I get news - or in this case, rumour - I tend to look to see if it's been added as a new post, not edited into a pre-existing one because they don't show as new posts.

The teams will reject the proposal for a fourteen-team grid in 2010:
Teams set to reject 14th entry

By Jonathan Noble - Sunday, October 4th 2009, 00:06 GMT

Formula 1 teams are set to reject plans to expand the grid to 14 teams next year - leaving the future of the BMW Sauber squad dependent on one of the sport's new entrants failing to make the 2010 grid.

The subject of boosting the field beyond the current planned 13 slots is due to be discussed at a meeting of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) at Suzuka on Sunday morning.

And, with the matter theoretically requiring a change of the Concorde Agreement, only unanimous approval from outfits would allow the change that would guarantee BMW Sauber's slot for now.

However, team principal Frank Williams has made it clear that his team will block any move to allow a 14th team in.

"I will be repeating what I said - one: that there should only be 13 teams, that's what there always has been and two: that I would suggest they apply to be first reserve," Williams told AUTOSPORT.

"That's the logical thing to do. It's illogical to change the rules suddenly for one extra person. And they may have a chance of getting in based on the gossip that's going around. Who knows?"

Williams says that part of the reluctance to allow BMW Sauber an automatic entry as the 14th slot is because there is such uncertainty about the identity of its new owners – investment group Qadbak.

The mysterious organisation has already been the subject of controversy in Britain with its involvement in Notts County Football Club being the subject of an inquiry by the Football Association.

Williams added: "If this was Ferrari somehow retired halfway through a year and wanted to come back we'd find a way to bend the rules. But this is a team that is owned by someone, we don't know who they are, their long-term plans. They bought Notts County and the FA... what did they say? We're not at all happy until we know who the owners are and their long-term plans. We would like to know."

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh believes that any decision to block the 14th entry would not mean automatically mean that BMW Sauber is out – because he has doubts that all the new teams will make it.

"What FOTA is concerned about is we're having an artificial debate because the strong suspicion is that there will not be 14 teams, and there may even be less than 13," he explained.

"As a pragmatist, it gives clarity to Sauber and it would be right to agree to there being 14 teams in the event that after you've agreed one of them should drop out and then the number will be smaller. I think 14 teams is too many, but I personally would agree to supporting Sauber. One because they deserve it and two because I don't think there will be 14 teams anyway."

BMW Sauber team principal Mario Theissen said he was waiting for the outcome of the FOTA meeting before deciding on the next step.

When asked to comment on reports that many people believe there will not be a 14th team, Theissen said: "Yes, that's a common guess but it doesn't really help. We need confirmation."
Not just Williams looking to block them as first suspected.

I wonder who they doubt will make it. Personally, I'm gunning for Toro Rosso to back out, as I've said before.

Personally, I'll be soo dissapointed if Sauber never make it to next year's championship :(

But it's just that we have to wait and I would like some teams to drop out of F1 and get a slot for Sauber... Formula 1 isn't going to be the same without Sauber :( I recommend STR to leave a slot for Sauber...

STR? What have they done wrong?

I agree with Williams' stance on it, but I'm not so sure any other teams are going to drop out...USF1 is the most likely to drop out but for some reason I can see them making it (though being laughably bad).

I'm glad BMW are gone though, so little faith in their F1 programme after 1 bad year, and I never really liked Mario Theissen. It will be sad to see Sauber go though.

STR? What have they done wrong?

I agree with Williams' stance on it, but I'm not so sure any other teams are going to drop out...USF1 is the most likely to drop out but for some reason I can see them making it (though being laughably bad).

I'm glad BMW are gone though, so little faith in their F1 programme after 1 bad year, and I never really liked Mario Theissen. It will be sad to see Sauber go though.

Well they done nothing wrong but somebody have to leave one day... I also agree with Williams stance on it too... USF1 just trying to make it into F1 but certainly I think they wouldn't stay long in F1...

BMW have to get out of F1 because of they want to realigned their Motorsport activity. Anyway, they also said that in F1, they can't promote their cars very well. Not like WTCC, BTCC or any other Motorsport that uses their production cars like WTCC, they use the BMW 320si while in ALMS, the BMW M3 GT2 that both of them shows the characteristic of their production cars... Like that, they can promote on how good their cars handling and speed... But in F1, it's just a case of reliability in the aspect of their engines... that's all. Anyway, Honda also had pulled out of F1 and so what??? They also have a reason of concentrating on green stuff also like the BMW... I'm not really that worry because next could be any one of those...

* Nothe that these are just my opinion... Also correct me if I'm wrong about the facts... :)

I don't really care about BMW's other motorsport interests, its just a little rediculous to spend 10(4 with Sauber) years in F1 building up to a great championship year and then give up just because of 1 bad year. I didn't like BMW already after the Williams breakup and tensions but now they just look like poor losers.
I realise Mario isn't to blame for them quiting though.

I suppose it makes sense that BMW would see 10 years wasted, but then thats the point, as a manufacturer they are there purely for exposure, I'd rather have teams like the original Sauber who are around purely to race (as well as success obviously). Its a shame to lose an engine manufacturer, but I guess now its inevitable.

Honda at least saw it coming earlier and supported the team into the next year, not to mention enduring 2 years as backenders before the recession pushed them out. BMW are also suffering the same of course, but as you've stated, its not like they are withdrawing all motorsport, they just want quicker and easier exposure.

Finances play a huge part, teams are spending in a couple of hundred million dollars on their cars for the season. The impact on the Automotive industry (which never has been secure and never will be) has been huge, I don't blame them for pulling out.

Currently, we have 13 teams for next season, excluding BMW Sauber. I don't expect all those 13 teams to have it easy in the next 6 months to the 2010 season.

I'm a bit disappointed that the other teams have said no to 14 teams... I can see their point - but I think the more the merrier... especially as everything seems to be Sooooo close... Brundle called it on the commentary this weekend... when he was driving in the Turbo era - there was 10 seconds between front and back Quali laps... the last race there was less than 2 seconds... awesome.

C.

Well me and we can't blame on BMW if they want to pull out of the sport... I can't blame on Sauber either for letting BMW bought them... Things happened mate, nothing can change what ever happened...

It's not the story of backing up another year or just because of 1 bad year, they're going to pull out... This is because of money, it's not that you're going to pay for them... No money, nothing move. They have to be quick, BMW is one of the most big motor industry in the world like Honda, Toyota, Mercedes etc. They need money to survive unlike indie team which they have money, and contract for their engines while for the factory team, all under their factory like Honda everything is under them and they also used amount of money... So I seriously can't blame them...

Please correct me if I am wrong :)

I just hope USGP does well, but it doesn't look to good for them, I said this in another thread but USGP's best bet for a successful season is if Tony Stewart and Danica Patrick race, which would be cool, and if USGP convinces Stewart then Danica will be right behind him for sure, especially since Danica is racing Nascar for Tony next year anyway, just imagine, the 1997 IRL Champion, 2002/2005 Nascar Sprint Cup Champion, and the most successful Female Indy Car Racer ever now in F1, ahhh, the tabloids.

I just hope USGP does well, but it doesn't look to good for them, I said this in another thread but USGP's best bet for a successful season is if Tony Stewart and Danica Patrick race, which would be cool, and if USGP convinces Stewart then Danica will be right behind him for sure, especially since Danica is racing Nascar for Tony next year anyway, just imagine, the 1997 IRL Champion, 2002/2005 Nascar Sprint Cup Champion, and the most successful Female Indy Car Racer ever now in F1, ahhh, the tabloids.

Without being insulting, I'm not sure Stewart would fit in the cockpit of a modern day F1 car. He may well be very strong and have bundles of stamina, but he's also built like a brick :censored:house and current F1 drivers tend to be small and skinny.

As for Danica, I don't think she'd be worth putting in an F1 seat you could otherwise put someone like Jonathan Summerton in.

As it currently stands though, USF1 may not run any US drivers at all.

^Which is what I thought they should have done from the start, train and support some US drivers while developing your team with experienced drivers...then bring in the US drivers.
Using new drivers in your debut season is more likely to get the team lost while developing the car, better to have some experience somewhere.

Last edited:
Hasn't she signed a new Indy contract?
No, she signed a deal with Stewart-Haas Racing in Nascar, she is driving trucks next year, and I was just making my wishes known, Tony might be to big, and ya, Danica is worthless on all but ovals, but as an American, and knowing that those are the two biggest names in Auto Racing Today(they have commercials that air when races aren't on) being in F1, would be cool, oh well, I just want to see my home team do well.

Jeff Gordon? With his back?

Don't get me wrong, he is a quality stock car driver but I just don't see him as a F1 driver. Maybe Smoke (Tony Stewart) but not Jeff Gordon.

And why would Montoya go back? He is having the time of his life in the Sprint Cup

Back