2lts of fuel gold ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alss
  • 17 comments
  • 1,868 views
Messages
269
England
England
Messages
Blue--08--
So who's done this challenge and golded it ? Best I can get is silver .

Ive got gold right through so far apart from this challenge ive tried slow /fast a steady 50 /40 but can't do it so if you can gold please share how.
 
I did get gold on it, but I dont recall what I did , it took me a few trys, IIRC, be gentle on the throttle and keep the speed low , costing on and off tell you get about a mile and half in, then floor it, you should be close enough to be able to coast again if needed
 
Let the car roll most of the time, don't keep on the gas too much, just enough to keep you going!
 
Using a manual gearbox, put it in 6th gear as soon as you can, then cruise at around 70mph. You should have enough fuel left to put the hammer down on the approach to Aremberg if you're running out of time. I got 2.4 miles or so this way.
 
I did gold on first try. Kept the revs at 4k-5k, let the car draft, and push it if you reach 50% of the track with more than 50% of the fule left.
 
use MT instead of AT (shift to higher gear earlier @3000 rpm) and keep speed around 80 Km/hr so u can turn without brakes and keep the car roll.
 
Cheers guys I'll have another try after work , I always seem to get close but never quite make it , bloody skyline no good for the shopping runs lol
 
I made 2.4 miles with gtr. Like they said shift early and as little throttle as possible.
 
This was an extremely easy challenge, select manual and 6th gear from the start and go.
 
...and let it roll down hills (no gas)
 
Saving fuel technique is accelerate fast up to desired speed and then put it in highest gear as early as possible and let it roll with minimal throttle input. Depending on the track, you should accelerate to a speed where you don't have to brake too much for any corner (braking means you waste energy you used for acceleration) and can just float through them.

For this challenge I found that the best speed was actually pretty high (~140km/h in the first part, then 160km/h), probably because the car accelerates very fast to that speed. I managed to go about 4.5km (all the way through Fuchsröhre) like that. (that's about 2.8 miles) I didn't try with higher speeds after that anymore.
 
Wow, I got this one gold very easy first try.
But then I'm an economical driver in real life & always have been. ha ha
I remember reading "tips for saving fuel while driving" and realizing I was already doing all of them. :lol:

I would like more challenging contests of this nature!

I think mostly it's about not rushing up to corners. (In real life, not rushing up to red lights. ;))

I was rather leisurely in getting up to speed, and then not so worried about getting back up to speed after getting through corners.
It's more about just maintaining momentum than anything else.
Don't go so fast that you can't get through the corners nicely without having to jam the throttle to get out of the corners.

Knowing the nice lines on the track of course helps.

And I think racing the track in very low power cars often has also been good practice for getting good lines & keeping momentum at speed.
In a low power car you don't have the power. In this challenge, you don't have the power because you don't have the fuel.
 
I had two of this challenges so far. The second is harder, you have to reach the finish line on time with 1L of fuel.
 
I kept with the auto transmission and just slowly accelerated to 60mph and then held it there until I had gone past the longish uphill bit (don't know names of things on that track) and then just accelerated as hard as possible and kept accelerating until the fuel gauge hit 0.01 then let off the accelerator and coasted the rest of the way. Got Gold on the 4th attempt
 
Just for reference, the gentle right-hander there is Flugplatz, and that section heading upward is Schwedenkreuz -includes I think the downhill into the Aremberg right turn (the sharp near-hairpin where ppl often go off in the sand at left).

The tip for Flugplatz is that you have to know (in advance) that it's NOT a sharp turn, but that the camber of the area can put your car off balance, nevertheless, if you're heading into that area too fast & not adhering to the racing line.

Flugplatz is a known potential wreck-fest with a crowded field for that reason. I recall stewarding a VCRC race incident with low power unmod'd German Superminis. Where 8 cars were somehow involved in a concertina effect around Flugplatz with pinballing - and believe me the cars were not going very fast - because they were low power.

You can keep momentum through Flugplatz very easily - provided you haven't already accelerated too much to begin with.
I don't think I used my brakes much at all from Quiddelbacher until I reached the downhill heading into Aremberg.
If that gives you an idea of how slow I was going!!

Key is - stay on the racing line! Don't rush up to turns.
Don't accelerate quickly. Use your throttle for uphill where it's needed.

You really do NOT need to get the car up to top speed at all, for instance, to get gold.
 
shift gear at lower RPM and don't flat out all the time. if you want to go faster on the faster sections, go on a higher gear than you should go on normal conditions. I did it with no problems on my 2nd attempt and I bet you can do it too ;)
 
I took it easy on the first section, made use of the downhill runs (used full throttle then coasted) and didn't waste too much throttle when I knew I'd had to brake a short while ahead.
 
I use manual launch in 4th and quickly shifted to 6th and coast at 80mph good for 2.8 miles...
 
Back