GT7 in 4K?

• Thread starter yanfloist
  • 315 comments
Any chance we will see gt7 in 4k? Even if it's just a demo, that would blow my mind! Maybe running on two or three ps4s. If pd does manage to make future gt games in 4k, it's game over!

No. PS4 doesn't support 4K. There's absolutely no reason for PD to waste time showing off anything in that resolution.
It does at 30hz, ps4 might get an update this fall to support 4k streaming and be able to play 4k at 60hz with HDMI 2.0

Wait and see..haha

Nah think Sony is better off focused on 1080p at 60 fps, and heck if it's only 30hz there really isn't a point then. I think only a few PC games are running 4k resolution anyways I know Crysis 3 could. Don't remember if it was native or a mod though.

The PS4 doesn't have enough GPU power to do 4K unless you want all standard cars and tracks, no weather, and only 4 AI:lol:. It takes a high end PC to do 4k gaming to begin with and the PS4 just isn't in that league

The videocards mentioned below are many times more powerful than the PS4.
While your wallet is open for the 4K monitor, you’ll need to keep it open for a high-end graphics card as well. Even the AMD Radeon 295X2, a dual-GPU, water-cooled behemoth, managed only 22 FPS when tasked with running Crysis 3 with graphical settings set to very high. Battlefield 4 didn’t fare much better, scoring a playable, but still slow 37 FPS.
Aside from raw compute power, which is needed to crank out 8.3 million pixels in a 4K image, you also need a lot of video RAM. Our review of the Radeon 295X2 compared it to two Nvidia 780 GTX Ti graphics cards running in SLI. While the 780 Tis performed well in most games, they ran out of steam in Crysis 3, where they put out an average of just 3 FPS. They scored so poorly because they ran out of video RAM, which meant that there wasn’t enough bandwidth available to reliably send the images generated by the GPUs to the monitor.
Source

The PS4 doesn't have enough GPU power to do 4K unless you want all standard cars and tracks, no weather, and only 4 AI:lol:. It takes a high end PC to do 4k gaming to begin with and the PS4 just isn't in that league

The videocards mentioned below are many times more powerful than the PS4.
Source
Well, nobody thought that Ps3 had enough power for 1080p, and look how that turned out for PD.

Don't know about 1080p maybe 720p 60 fps, but the only game I have as of now that's 1080p constantly 60 is Wipeout HD/Fury.

Ridge Racer for the PS3 is 1080p 60fps locked , came really early in the PS3's lifespan.

Ridge Racer for the PS3 is 1080p 60fps locked , came really early in the PS3's lifespan.

Pretty much there are extremely limited though. That's what I'm getting at other games just upscaled to 1080p

Well, nobody thought that Ps3 had enough power for 1080p, and look how that turned out for PD.
Neither gt5 or gt6 actually run in 1920x1080. The graphics are rendered at 1280x1080 and 1440x1080 respectively, which isn't true full hd, even if it is pretty close. Neither of the games run at a stable 60 fps either. I don't think high res is anything to brag about if the framerate isn't good as well. If you just lower the framerate enough, anything can do "full hd".

Neither gt5 or gt6 actually run in 1920x1080. The graphics are rendered at 1280x1080 and 1440x1080 respectively, which isn't true full hd, even if it is pretty close. Neither of the games run at a stable 60 fps either. I don't think high res is anything to brag about if the framerate isn't good as well. If you just lower the framerate enough, anything can do "full hd".
Considering how the majority of games on ps3 run at 720p or less and 30fps or less, GT is still an impressive achievement.

Well if you run GT6 at 720p it runs much better , but the graphical diference is kinda big and not worth it IMO .

Try it yourselves and see what you think.​

Last edited:
There is nothing stopping developers writing to a "4k" render buffer. The PS4 even supports such buffers natively in its OS, no tricks necessary; a game can implement its own however it sees fit.

Whether that can be piped to a display at a reasonable rate is another thing, mostly in Sony's hands. It's possible the PS4 could have firmware revisions to allow 4k-sized frames at some rate or other, from games (should that make a difference in the hardware).

If the game is scalable enough, and the screen-space effects dialed back a notch or three, it might run near 30 Hz. Failing that, cheat and interlace it (like they did on PS2): your real full-frame rate is a near 15 Hz instead. That's your 4x reduction in pixel count (per second) straight away. Obviously the game will be a bit unresponsive, comparatively speaking, at 30 Hz, but some might prefer it nonetheless. It would surely be one hell of a demonstration, the likes of which PD has not shied from in the past.

On PC, it's VRAM which is the real killer, 3 GiB seems to be too little for typical games. The PS4 might struggle on that front, too, which practically means shorter draw distances, more pop in, less geometry and texture detail etc. Still might be worth the spectacle, like GT Hi-Fi mode all over again.

On that note, PD should also offer a 120 Hz mode, which may naturally be possible at 720p if the game normally runs at 1080p60. :D

Last edited:
Well, I've seen a GT6 demo running in 4K somewhere on multiple PS3s, but I don't except GT7 to run at 4K on a single PS4.

Let's face it, all developers have really hard times achieving even 1080p @30FPS and since we know can be quite sure GT7 will run @60FPS, 4K is out of the table.

Rather than 4K, I'd much rather see 3D running in 1080p.

I don't even understand the hype behind 4K. Is there really that big a difference?
When you've got proper 4k content and an 80 inch TV, which will not at all be unusual in a few years, it will be a huge difference. 1080p struggles to look detailed or crisp past 50 inch especially if you have any sort of text or graphics (like a game HUD) or edges on screen that are thin/diagonal/circular.

Sure looking at a picture of sand you can't tell the difference from living room distances but in the real world TV's display much more than just a noisy grainy image and increasing the resolution will not only improve reproduction of fine details but also give a more natural and touchable appearance.

Many people see a 4k TV with good content and think it's actually a really amazing 3D TV because the detail is far deeper it appears more touchable and dimensional.

However in a game environment to make it really worthwhile you need to increase the model and texture resolution to match and games haven't really used the full capability of 1080p when it comes to textures anyway except perhaps when you look at a gun in a first-person shooter
I would prefer they spent the extra performance on better lighting, models, textures and better medium-distance detail first before soo massively increasing resolution.

I don't even understand the hype behind 4K. Is there really that big a difference?
Well, consider this - going from 720p to 1080p is having 2.25 times more pixels on the screen, going from 1080p to 4k is having 4 times more pixels. 4 times the detail, but also 4 times the performance needed to render in case of rendering games.

Back