GT7 in 4K?

• Thread starter yanfloist
  • 315 comments
I'm not surprised by that, see the PS4 Pro more of a way to deliver a solid 1080p experience which is why I'm getting one. PS5 probably might have enough power to do native 4K somewhat well but I think there will be a lot of games on that running below that resolution, maybe even a lot lower like 1080p. I would prefer it if they stick to lower resolutions personally.

So you've gone from believing native 4k on PS4 is just a flick of the switch away to PS5 still probably won't do native 4k sometimes? That is quite the leap.

Still think there is a chance there will be native 4K games on the original PS4, at least higher than 1080p if they're going to use some of that upscaling technique. Should be good for the original PS4 owners if they can try out 4K gaming if their TV supports it without having to buy a new upgraded console.

Wait, what? How does that correlate to what you just said above? After all these years there is still no evidence of PS4 vanilla running games in 4K. Now they've released a version more than twice as powerful that still only manages fancy upscaling in the majority of games but you still think there will be native or similarly upscaled 4K games on the vanilla?

Whatever you've been sniffing must be good stuff.

After, what, four years of him being demonstrably wrong about it but still insisting across countless threads anyway, did you really expect him to admit it now?

Last edited:
PS4 Pro looks like a great 1080P machine and a half-way to 4K...

I mean what's the point of doing 4K if you have to lower every setting and then it's not native 4K anyway.

So...for GTS I would like a 1080P mode that is locked to 60 like Forza with whatever extra settings or AA solution they can afford.

Just that - no jaggies, no flickering shadows and rock solid 60.

PS4 Pro looks like a great 1080P machine and a half-way to 4K...

I mean what's the point of doing 4K if you have to lower every setting and then it's not native 4K anyway.

So...for GTS I would like a 1080P mode that is locked to 60 like Forza with whatever extra settings or AA solution they can afford.

Just that - no jaggies, no flickering shadows and rock solid 60.
It wont be doing native 4k. They'll likely use the sort of checkerboard rendering Sony has talked about.

This game needs to be a solid 60fps without using PS4 Pro. It has to be able to run any mode or race without framerate drops for it to be viable to claim the entire game can be played in VR like they have. So you should have 1080p/60fps with or without PS4 Pro.

Also, just to be specific, lowering graphics 'settings' is separate from resolution. If I play a game on my PC and turn the graphics all down to their lowest settings, but turn resolution up to 4k, I'm still playing in 'native' 4k. 'Native' means how many pixels the renderer is outputting. No more and no less.

1800p is close enough. My idea was headed in the right direction after all!

With an entirely new console that has a CPU 1.3x as powerful and GPU 2.3x as powerful as the original PS4.

Yeah, you were bang on with what the PS4 original could do.....

"I was most blown away by Gran Turismo Sport, which runs at 4K (using 1800p checkerboard rendering) and HDR at 60fps. Ferrari red is accurately rendered, which is a big deal because it wasn’t possible until now, and always appeared a little too orange. It’s a subtle thing, but when everything looks a little more realistic, it all adds up.

Less subtle is the matter of contrast. Sun glinting off a shiny bonnet ought to make you squint, and here it definitely does. Combined with the fine bumps and scratches on the metal, that’s the most lifelike video game rendering of cars I’ve ever seen.

All this, and the PS4 Pro is only just getting started. I’m really looking forward to the flood of games that will make full use of all this extra power."

Seems nice :)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/ps4-pro-review

I really want to see this "checkerboarding" system work on a 4K telly. However, I don't think I'll get my hands on a 4K TV for several years - the TV in my main living room only runs at 720P:lol: The one in the second room is full 1080P HD, which looks fine to me. So I won't take advantage of this tech anytime soon let's just say.

Just picked up a 40 inch Samsung KU-6290 4K TV for $289. It has a great picture quality and it does include HDR. Once my T300 Integral package arrives on Tuesday, I will be all set for GT Sport. Uncharted 4, Infamous and Knack look amazing in 4K, I am sure GT Sport will be no different. The PlayStation 4 Pro is the real deal.

Also, just to be specific, lowering graphics 'settings' is separate from resolution. If I play a game on my PC and turn the graphics all down to their lowest settings, but turn resolution up to 4k, I'm still playing in 'native' 4k. 'Native' means how many pixels the renderer is outputting. No more and no less.

How refreshing to read a post from somebody who understands the difference between resolution and actual graphical quality. I can play the old classic space invaders at 4k resolution - doesn't make it look any better if the assets are the same. It's just more marketing crap to get people to upgrade, like those stupid curved TVs where if you sat at the focal point, you'd be so far away that it might as well be 720p. Oh, and why only curve in X plane? What about the Y plane too? Anyway, I digress! lol

We are fast approaching diminishing returns when it comes to resolution and its impact on graphics. Mobile phones are a classic example of this with their crazy DPI levels that people can't tell apart in resolution alone. I don't disagree that 4k will become as common as 1080p, and then 8k or whatever will come along which is even more unnecessary, but simply pushing more pixels does not make a game look or play better. When I watch 1080p movies on my 49" screen from a few feet away, I don't find myself missing out on detail. Movies look fantastic, photo-realistic, in a way that games currently don't come close to. When it comes to games, we are nowhere near capable of doing justice to 1080p, let alone 4k and beyond.

Give me a nice 1080p screen with better contrast, wider colour gamut, faster refresh rates and the capability to reproduce what I see when I look out of the window. Then make gaming hardware that can take advantage of all of those features, with enough horsepower to push graphics around with more detail, more effects, more accurate lighting, more imperfections, more objects, more photo-realism (styled like a Pixar movie or grounded in the real world).

This is why I would much rather see the PS4 Pro (and Scorpio when it launches) focus on making 1080p gaming better, rather than just playing a stupid numbers game. Increase the detail, lock the frame rates, improve the lighting effects, use better surface textures etc. Give us something that actually LOOKS different with richer environments, additional models and more effects compared to the stock PS4 versions.

Unfortunately though, while PS4 and PS4 Pro co-exist, that's unlikely to happen as it means producing two quite different versions of the same game for the "same" platform. While games might be optimised for PS4 Pro, they will probably only get "not-quite 4k" resolution bumps, better frame rates and maybe slightly better lighting and textures. Don't get me wrong, better is better, but just how much better?

Based on comparisons I've seen, I see nothing yet that makes me want to go out and swap my PS4 for a PS4 Pro, even though I have a HDR 4k TV (bought just for Android being built in, that's all). In fact, HDR does more for games than 4k, and that's coming to PS4 anyway.

Just picked up a 40 inch Samsung KU-6290 4K TV for $289. It has a great picture quality and it does include HDR. Once my T300 Integral package arrives on Tuesday, I will be all set for GT Sport. Uncharted 4, Infamous and Knack look amazing in 4K, I am sure GT Sport will be no different. The PlayStation 4 Pro is the real deal.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but that TV does not include HDR, certainly not the industry standard HDR10 or Dolby Vision. As for upscaled games looking amazing...I beg to differ. I've seen comparisons in the flesh, and found that the upscaled games hardly looked any different, and in fact had a slight blur to them that is not present on the 1080p version. Like a lot of people, you are falling for the 4k marketing story and convincing yourself the games are way better. They really aren't. Not yet.

Last edited:
Resolution does not a realistic image make.
I'd much prefer to see the extra grunt used for improved lighting and materials in the pixel shaders and with a quarter of the pixels to fill and shade at 1080p that gives 4 times the amount of processing time per pixel, or compared with the checkerboard rendering it's still double the amount of time.

Back