Gran Turismo Sport has Sold Around 3.3 Million Copies Worldwide

Looking at those figures you see that GT3,4 and 5 top over 10 million sales. These were games that had took on the previous games before them and improved them. Whereas GT6 gave us more of the same as GT5, this was shown since it was released at the end of thd PS3 cycle. With this it is looking that GTS will be another GT6 in terms of sales and you would hope that next big GT is a GT3,4 or 5

Don't count GT6 out just yet. On Amazon US, it's currently #8 in PS3 bestsellers, and for all games, selling better than GT Sport Limited Edition (#1041 vs. #1110). Of course, GT Sport standard edition is selling better than both, but not too much (#74 PS4 games, #439 all games).

The article says the game launched in November :boggled:

Corrected.

Don't count GT6 out just yet. On Amazon US, it's currently #8 in PS3 bestsellers, and for all games, selling better than GT Sport Limited Edition (#1041 vs. #1110). Of course, GT Sport standard edition is selling better than both, but not too much (#74 PS4 games, #439 all games).

Amazon's bestsellers lists don't show figures though, so it's hard to gauge. Anything on the PS3 list is unlikely to be selling in serious quantities these days — and statistically, a game celebrating its 53rd month isn't going to be adding a lot to its tally.

Personally, as much as I'm a fan of the game-as-a-service model for racing game (since there's little need for sequels in the usual sense), I recognize it's much better from a business perspective to sell iterations versus constantly update one title. There are exceptions (looking at you WoW, or GTAV), but I don't think GT (or any racing game, for that matter) has hit that level.

Anybody how relative these numbers are? How many did forza sell? How many Pcars 2?
While it looks disappointing... At the time GT didn't have any serious competitors at the time. Probably Need for speed was its largest competitor...

On KudosPrime, there are notes talking about how the statistics are calculated:

Statistics based on 46,605 players representing 4,660,500 players (4,226,800 of the final game) on 2018-05-08.

Where does that 4.2M number come from, and how does it relate to the 3.3M copies sold?

This is why I estimated low - I knew I'd be right at some point!

GTS_3m.png

:lol:

Where does that 4.2M number come from, and how does it relate to the 3.3M copies sold?

Those are profiles, which people can have more than one of, or multiple players per copy of the game, etc. It's always going to be more than the number of games sold, and now we can say it's approx. 30% over.

One game but multiple accounts (for Sport Mode Region) ?

Those are profiles, which people can have more than one of, or multiple players per copy of the game, etc. It's always going to be more than the number of games sold, and now we can say it's approx. 30% over.

Ah, right! I forgot about multiple accounts. Thanks!

I still think racing games are dying - Let me bring that example again, when NFSMW came out, everyone played that. Battlefield, CS 1.6? Pfft, what are those?

Now, in our High School there is absolutely no one, except me, a random weird guy, and maybe the Gucci (who owns a BMW M6) who plays racing games. 3 out of 300 students. 3! When I tried to convince my friend that Assetto Corsa is an amazing sim, a few days later he said: "Oh My God, the graphics were so bad!" And he facepalmed. What is going on? We are judging a simulator by the graphics? :rolleyes:

PD's numbers are shipped numbers while the 80 M number is sold through. So we can't really deduce GTSport's sales there.

That does put a bit of a wrinkle into things, but it's also worth asking why PD has suddenly swapped measurements (and for one that, in terms of sheer numbers, is less impressive). It could also be a translation issue (we've seen it before in the franchise). Also, this:
https://www.dualshockers.com/the-di...ped-and-sold-is-less-relevant-than-you-think/

Given their ages, it's unlikely that the shipped numbers for the previous titles are massively different from the sell-through at this point. Though that's why we put "around" in the title. Will add a bit explaining the shipped/sold difference though. 👍

Myself not being Sony and just a lowly consumer, I’m more interested in active users and time spent than actual sales. Just me!

I like the way you think. 👍

It's hard to tell in most racing games. For Forza, the best measure is usually the leaderboard for the first forced race (though that's not possible in FM7). GT doesn't have that — and you can only check friends/Top 10 for career stuff. For reference, checking the current FIA Sport Mode Nations Cup has just over 2000 competitors in the Americas region.

Digital sales are going to be big for this GT, it's been regularly in PSN sales and promoted often in the store.

I imagine the digital sales for all of the big autumn racing releases (GTS, FM7, PCARS2, NFSP) have a fairly high proportion of digital sales. Specifically the sims; they all offered perks for players that were exclusive to the digital versions.

On KudosPrime, there are notes talking about how the statistics are calculated:

Statistics based on 46,605 players representing 4,660,500 players (4,226,800 of the final game) on 2018-05-08.

Multiple users, used copies, etc. Plus the fact these numbers aren't 100% true. We know for a fact GTS sold more in the UK than the numbers on that site.

We can't really deduce how much GTS has sold yet, but we can deduce it sold a minimum of slightly over 3 million copies. It could be 4 million but we can't know for sure. It still is relatively low for a GT game, but I suspect not many will be too unhappy with these numbers at Sony.

Now we wait for the legs.

I bought the digital virsion and I haven't seen many pre-owned Gran Turismo Sport I think the FIA has done a lot of damage to the game.

I still think racing games are dying - Let me bring that example again, when NFSMW came out, everyone played that. Battlefield, CS 1.6? Pfft, what are those?

Now, in our High School there is absolutely no one, except me, a random weird guy, and maybe the Gucci (who owns a BMW M6) who plays racing games. 3 out of 300 students. 3! When I tried to convince my friend that Assetto Corsa is an amazing sim, a few days later he said: "Oh My God, the graphics were so bad!" And he facepalmed. What is going on? We are judging a simulator by the graphics? :rolleyes:

Yep . People will argue death that's not true saying there's more variety ( objectively false , the ps2 days had a plethora of racing games, just not sims ) . Motorsports ratings are down globally etc. I don't know a single person I real life who plays ANY racing games except for my friend who's a gearhead . I blame SIM elitist who mock people for enjoying arcade games despite arcade games being more accessible and fun for everyone . Enjoy your fake plastic wheels.

I like Toca Race Driver 3 because I think it's the right blend of sim and arcade it's not like Project Cars trying to be to real and its not arcade boring like Ford Racing. The problem with racing games is not enough Motorsport series I think it all died when Codemasters made Grid. Gran Turismo Sport needs more cars and I'm sick of wining cars its boring and then I don't want to buy them because I might win it.

Times are different. GT1-4 were when the USA didn't sell the JDM performance models. It was also a time of improved graphics on consoles. Add the budding pc age with social media, Fast and Furious, etc.

Been 20 years and car culture is different. I was 27 when GT arrived and definitely agree with the above posts about variety of racing games. It's not like it was and even motorsports are trying to grab new fans, by gaming. Almost something they didn't have to do.

GTS seems like it's trying to be that party game, like Fornite. I think it's the only way to stay viable.

Latest Posts

Back