Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

PD is pretty much a Sony sub-branch at this point (and Sony is a VERY rich company) , so all this "not enough money" thing doesn't sound convincing to me. Project CARS 2 got triple the amount of tracks that GTS has (including Spa), and SMS is definitely not as rich (or connected) as PD

Or maybe it is not as simple as i think it is, i dunno

Although I love Spa I'd be pretty darn pissed if it were to come at the expense of multiple tracks, no matter what tracks they are. The only thing I absolutely want in GTS is more tracks, but that's just my opinion, though.

Maybe the best way to go around this is to simply release Spa as paid DLC. Maybe the Lotuses, too. I'd definitely pay for it, I got the game for 13€ expecting GT6 minus content but I got something I'd happily pay the full 70€ for. It makes me feel like I'm robbing PD.

Anyway, I think PD opening out about this could mean they're getting somewhere, otherwise they'd keep their lips sealed.

License holders are very much aware of that, too, and they charge accordingly...

Stupid question, but can't PD just add Spa anyway, just under different name? Said Project CARS does have Suzuka under the name Sakitto, for example

Yeah this ^^^ - they wouldnt be charging a flat rate. If you're making a crappy mobile game you could possibly get a lower rate because your total exposure is small.

However if you're making a CSR2 by EA or a Forza by MS then your audience reach is huge and then the fee is larger.

Be that as it may, how bad could it be? I can imagine it'd be in the tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands.... former isnt a big deal, latter???

Didn't Project Cars get around the Suzuka license by calling the track something else, even though it had the same layout...I'm sure we can come up with some suitable names :)

That sucks at least it’s been done so if they can sort something out it won’t be long wait. Also is it because the name Gran Turismo, that Circuits Jack up the price how they see fit just because of a famous name? If so that’s sad to us gamers who want awesome things in our games. Or as they’ll say “it’s just business... brah” oh well. I wonder if that’s why Koenigsegg have never featured in a GT game? I would gladly start paying for DLC from GT if they had to go down that route.

They don't seem to learn do they. Firstly the Porsche/EA situation, then they go and do the same with Toyota. Then they pick and choose what they pay different manufactures (eg Lotus), and when the tracks do it to PD they are unhappy.

If PD was to release Spa-Francorchamps under a different name, and perhaps modify it slightly, it would only sour any future negotiations between both parties.

Besides, if there was any alterations the community would savage PD. Let's be honest about that.

The worst part of this is that the legendary circuit is apparently ready to go.

As much as I want Spa-Francorchamps, and I desperately do, I applaud PD for not allowing themselves to be taken advantage of. Business is one thing but greed is another all together.

How did PD ever get away with Cote d'Azur rather than Monaco. I get that its a 2x width rendition it but IS Monaco...
The difference there is that it is a circuit comprised of public roads so you can get away with it.

So a few months ago, you thought it was coming from what you'd heard, but things have since changed?

Negotiations can change dramatically in a short Time, maybe they were closed to a deal a couple of months ago, but anything could come to the equiation and destroy any advance

They don't seem to learn do they. Firstly the Porsche/EA situation, then they go and do the same with Toyota. Then they pick and choose what they pay different manufactures (eg Lotus), and when the tracks do it to PD they are unhappy.
I don't know about pick and choose. Lotus doesn't have as many cars as Toyota. That could mean a lower fee.

So a few months ago, you thought it was coming from what you'd heard, but things have since changed?
Well, maybe PD expected the negotiations to be short and thus Jordan thought so too. I'd say it's still coming - PD hasn't given up negotiating, and the reason it isn't coming yet isn't that Spa is simply saying "no". Thus there's a chance they'll come to an agreement.

Stupid question, but can't PD just add Spa anyway, just under different name? Said Project CARS does have Suzuka under the name Sakitto, for example
Sakitto just seems like suzuka but it's far to be identic. Really far.
sakitto-gp_orig.png

Last edited:
We have Nürb, Le Mans, Suzuka... I think I could personally survive without Spa, but not without Monaco (or "Côte d'Azur" :D).
During so many years, Porsche was't in GT: license issue (EA exclusivity). New Ford GT: license issue (EA exclusivity). Forza players have same problem with the new Supra (Sony exclusivity).

Well, Money Money Money.

Just a question: we have Porsche in this GT, what about RUF?
I have feelings RUF only replaced Porsche during the EA exclusivity (not only GT series).

Don't forget PD also has the Pikes Peak Hillclimb license locked up (hence why it's not in DR 2.0 but was in the first)...and has done precisely JACK with it (at least publicly, other than being a major sponsor of the event IRL).

Reminds me of this scene:

xkaruS6Dng9XXwsKS5pztHwyBvt-WEWZddULfN0KhWE.jpg

Last edited:
They can keep Spa, I can find it in Forza 7 or any racing game. Bring back what made GT famous: Grand Valley, Midfield raceway, Special Stage route 11... They're all free!

Another point: in a time where motorsports tend to disappear from the mainstream media, Spa owners don't want to see its track in the most popular racing game on PS4?! At the end, GT can live without Spa IMO.

Back