Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

This photo really makes me wish we had at least this Zytek Nissan as an LMP2 offering.

GT_Academy_2015_R3_Greaves-Spa-3.jpg

I am a very avid fan of Spa Francorchamps. It is, in my opinion, one of the most fantastic tracks of all time. Definitely in my top 3 of all time real world race tracks. The layout is damn near perfect. It is well suited to almost any form of motorsport. The racing it provides is phenomenal and it is the scene of some of the greatest motorsport moves/feats in recent memory.

Quite simply put it belongs in every legit racing title. Along with a few others. I know there are those who may disagree but that is my opinion.

I do agree with how PD has decided to handle this. This exclusivity nonsense from auto makers and now, disturbingly, from racing venues is idiotic and dismissive of motorsport fans everywhere.

If anything, these venues should be clamoring to get the free exposure and publicity that these games provide.

Look, a lot of people in the traditional real world motorsports world have not realized that video games are not just a kid thing. Grown men and women participate and invest their time and money in the enjoyment of this hobby. Shoot, actual race drivers do as well. I just hope that at some point they realize how stupid they are acting.

Yeah that's what I heard too. With all the rumours I thought they might a found an agreement, guess not.

There are a lot of great tracks, real or fictional, that could make an appearance instead (Autopolis was a pleasant surprise). I can live without Spa, just like I can live without Ferrari in F1 (it's not like they've been winning championships or anything).

To me, the only reason not having Spa would be disappointing would be the time that PD has put into completing it, all to not be able to release it. Really hoping cooler heads prevail here for the sake of all involved.

Hopefully, this also puts an end to everyone asking about the track.

So basically the same thing I heard last year. At this point, Others have already named them but there are other tracks I would take over Spa at this point.

Wow. I never thought it would be because of licensing issues. Too bad. Another track that won't return any time soon. At least PD are not going to stop drip feeding more cars and tracks.

As much as I love Spa my personal opinion would be - excuse my French - screw 'em! There are plenty of other tracks that would, I imagine with a high degree of probability, be far cheaper to licence and be almost as much fun - if not more because they're not really in any (recent) games and would be something new. As a Brit, from a British perspective, Oulton Park or Knockhill would be very welcome additions. Although, sadly, I'm not entirely sure they would have much appeal to the rest of the world.

For those not au fait with the two aforementioned tracks:
BTCC @ Oulton Park

BTCC @ Knockhill

How did PD ever get away with Cote d'Azur rather than Monaco. I get that its a 2x width rendition it but IS Monaco...
Simple answer: public roads.

If licensing is a problem then why not adding the circuit under a fictional name? I dont mind its name as long as it will be the exact same layout.

Like Kaz-Kazunorichamps.

They can't do this due to the relationship between PD and the FIA. The FIA want real tracks to be within a certain set of limits and making a real track under a different name probably goes against what the FIA want.

are some of you not comprehending what the article says or is it just me. This is not a licensing issue, it`s a money issue and always has been. Yes i`m sure enough of us would be willing to fork the 2, 5, 10 bucks for the track, but I`m fully with PD on this cause they don`t want to set a precedent wherein all the other world tracks are like..damn look how much more they`re willing to pay for Spa, we`d be suckers to not cash in on this, and they absolutely will which in turn will raise the price for all of us sim racers not just GT fans. Can you imagine how much Nurburg ring would command...the ring is absolutely king of all tracks but thank god PD seem to have good relations with them

As much as I love Spa my personal opinion would be - excuse my French - screw 'em! There are plenty of other tracks that would, I imagine with a high degree of probability, be far cheaper to licence and be almost as much fun - if not more because they're not really in any (recent) games and would be something new. As a Brit, from a British perspective, Oulton Park or Knockhill would be very welcome additions. Although, sadly, I'm not entirely sure they would have much appeal to the rest of the world.
\

Project Cars 2 exists and it appeals to plenty of people. Myself included.

What if we all chip in a $ each and don't tell Silverstone?

This was probably a joke, but y'know...

I'm dead against the idea of introducing Spa (or any other track or cars) as paid DLC because it would remove it from the viable list for Sport mode if only half the players had access to it - and this game is all about Sport mode.

But crowdfunding a pot of gold to give to the greedy Spa-lords so that those who wanted the track badly enough could pay, and *everyone* would benefit - isn't such a bad idea. It might also prevent the side effect of all other circuits trying to bump up their license fees if PD could make the point that it was a popular demand thing.

Or it might not. I suppose other circuits would still push their luck.

On another note, how come Spa is in all the other games? Are those smaller devs really richer than Sony/PD? Or is itreally that Spa has bumped up the price because they saw Sony coming?

They can't do this due to the relationship between PD and the FIA. The FIA want real tracks to be within a certain set of limits and making a real track under a different name probably goes against what the FIA want.

Then what about the other fictional tracks we already have? It will be a fictional track except the layout will be as same as Spa. If Fia is against fictional tracks then We wouldnt have Dragon trail or Lago magiorre or Ssrx...

Then what about the other fictional tracks we already have? It will be a fictional track except the layout will be as same as Spa. If Fia is against fictional tracks then We wouldnt have Dragon trail or Lago magiorre or Ssrx...

Fictional tracks are up to PD, real tracks are up to the FIA and being marked with their standard. If you put a real track under a fake name that will cross boundaries and the FIA more than likely won't be happy. Imagine FIA giving confirmation to a track not called Spa but is Spa, not sure there would be happy relationships anywhere to be honest.

Project Cars 2 exists and it appeals to plenty of people. Myself included.
Oh, really, it includes Oulton Park and Knockhill? I didn't know that; I was always put off getting PC2 as, iirc, its always been considered to be bit of a dog with a controller (and I unfortunately don't have space for a wheel).

Fictional tracks are up to PD, real tracks are up to the FIA and being marked with their standard. If you put a real track under a fake name that will cross boundaries and the FIA more than likely won't be happy. Imagine FIA giving confirmation to a track not called Spa but is Spa, not sure there would be happy relationships anywhere to be honest.
I dont think real tracks are up to Fia. Money will come out from Pd not Fia. If Fia wants their Spa licensed in Gt sport then they can give the money. If they are not willing to give then they should shut their mouth. Imho.

I'm not opposed to paid DLC but it's my belief that it is best reserved for cars and not tracks. Making tracks DLC can easily split a racing community. Imagine a weekly race with a track only available to those willing to pay for it. I don't begrudge anyone who is opposed to paid DLC but if does happen it should never be for a track.

Five steps needed to correct the No Spa issue...

1-Go to your storage closet and open door.

2-Take down your old PS3 and dust it off.

3-Go to local used game shop or on line with eBay and get copy of GT6.

4-Plug in PS3, put GT6 disk inside, and start.

5-Go to Spa Circuit and enjoy day, night , rain, and shine racing.

Back