Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Mar 26, 2019.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. Clean Racer

Clean Racer

Very unfortunate circumstances.

3. OJT6627

OJT6627

PD is pretty much a Sony sub-branch at this point (and Sony is a VERY rich company) , so all this "not enough money" thing doesn't sound convincing to me. Project CARS 2 got triple the amount of tracks that GTS has (including Spa), and SMS is definitely not as rich (or connected) as PD

Or maybe it is not as simple as i think it is, i dunno

eMc0B, Franske, GTMajarcus and 24 others like this.
  4. iFerrari

iFerrari

Hopefully PD is able to use their FIA partership to push for a deal.

5. Disco_Volante

Disco_Volante

Although I love Spa I'd be pretty darn pissed if it were to come at the expense of multiple tracks, no matter what tracks they are. The only thing I absolutely want in GTS is more tracks, but that's just my opinion, though.

Maybe the best way to go around this is to simply release Spa as paid DLC. Maybe the Lotuses, too. I'd definitely pay for it, I got the game for 13€ expecting GT6 minus content but I got something I'd happily pay the full 70€ for. It makes me feel like I'm robbing PD.

Anyway, I think PD opening out about this could mean they're getting somewhere, otherwise they'd keep their lips sealed.

Franske, Bury, Interstellar9 and 12 others like this.
  6. Jordan

Jordan Administrator

License holders are very much aware of that, too, and they charge accordingly...

KinLM, Yui-san, vvise and 57 others like this.
  7. OJT6627

OJT6627

Stupid question, but can't PD just add Spa anyway, just under different name? Said Project CARS does have Suzuka under the name Sakitto, for example

8. Beezer215

Beezer215

Good. I'm sick of hearing about it.

9. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

Yeah this ^^^ - they wouldnt be charging a flat rate. If you're making a crappy mobile game you could possibly get a lower rate because your total exposure is small.

However if you're making a CSR2 by EA or a Forza by MS then your audience reach is huge and then the fee is larger.

Be that as it may, how bad could it be? I can imagine it'd be in the tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands.... former isnt a big deal, latter???

10. 05XR8

05XR8

I was going to say, they'd charge what the developer could pay. Jordan said it best. Spa owners see PD coming and want to get "paid".

11. Lazybike

Lazybike

Didn't Project Cars get around the Suzuka license by calling the track something else, even though it had the same layout...I'm sure we can come up with some suitable names :)

12. danimac

danimac

That sucks at least it’s been done so if they can sort something out it won’t be long wait. Also is it because the name Gran Turismo, that Circuits Jack up the price how they see fit just because of a famous name? If so that’s sad to us gamers who want awesome things in our games. Or as they’ll say “it’s just business... brah” oh well. I wonder if that’s why Koenigsegg have never featured in a GT game? I would gladly start paying for DLC from GT if they had to go down that route.

13. Leggacy

Leggacy

The lotus thing kind of explains the F1500t looking like a 97T

14. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

How did PD ever get away with Cote d'Azur rather than Monaco. I get that its a 2x width rendition it but IS Monaco...

15. Castrol96

Castrol96

There might have been a similar issue with Le mans.

So Spa will hopefully come but not just yet?

16. VeeDoubleU

VeeDoubleU

So a few months ago, you thought it was coming from what you'd heard, but things have since changed?

17. HopAlong

HopAlong

They don't seem to learn do they. Firstly the Porsche/EA situation, then they go and do the same with Toyota. Then they pick and choose what they pay different manufactures (eg Lotus), and when the tracks do it to PD they are unhappy.

vinz7531 and TomBrady like this.
  18. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

Just bring on Pikes Peak PD :D

19. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

Then there should be a gentleman's agreement to not model this track in every other game. This will set a bad precedent and the gamer will pay the price eventually.

Fully support PD here.

WheelmanSteve, ddm, TS050 and 24 others like this.
  20. Scuderia Paul

Scuderia Paul

If PD was to release Spa-Francorchamps under a different name, and perhaps modify it slightly, it would only sour any future negotiations between both parties.

Besides, if there was any alterations the community would savage PD. Let's be honest about that.

The worst part of this is that the legendary circuit is apparently ready to go.

As much as I want Spa-Francorchamps, and I desperately do, I applaud PD for not allowing themselves to be taken advantage of. Business is one thing but greed is another all together.

The difference there is that it is a circuit comprised of public roads so you can get away with it.

VR6syncro, vvise, jaytmtb and 27 others like this.
  21. mastretta_mx

mastretta_mx

Negotiations can change dramatically in a short Time, maybe they were closed to a deal a couple of months ago, but anything could come to the equiation and destroy any advance

22. 05XR8

05XR8

I don't know about pick and choose. Lotus doesn't have as many cars as Toyota. That could mean a lower fee.

23. Disco_Volante

Disco_Volante

Well, maybe PD expected the negotiations to be short and thus Jordan thought so too. I'd say it's still coming - PD hasn't given up negotiating, and the reason it isn't coming yet isn't that Spa is simply saying "no". Thus there's a chance they'll come to an agreement.

im_seb30 likes this.
  24. AlanH49

AlanH49

100% expect it to come in the next few months.

25. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

Sakitto just seems like suzuka but it's far to be identic. Really far.
    sakitto-gp_orig.png

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    mwoodski, ddm, TheNuvolari and 19 others like this.
  26. zeptrans

zeptrans

We have Nürb, Le Mans, Suzuka... I think I could personally survive without Spa, but not without Monaco (or "Côte d'Azur" :D).
    During so many years, Porsche was't in GT: license issue (EA exclusivity). New Ford GT: license issue (EA exclusivity). Forza players have same problem with the new Supra (Sony exclusivity).

Well, Money Money Money.

Just a question: we have Porsche in this GT, what about RUF?
    I have feelings RUF only replaced Porsche during the EA exclusivity (not only GT series).

27. L8 Apex

L8 Apex

Don't forget PD also has the Pikes Peak Hillclimb license locked up (hence why it's not in DR 2.0 but was in the first)...and has done precisely JACK with it (at least publicly, other than being a major sponsor of the event IRL).

Reminds me of this scene:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  28. queleuleu

queleuleu

They can keep Spa, I can find it in Forza 7 or any racing game. Bring back what made GT famous: Grand Valley, Midfield raceway, Special Stage route 11... They're all free!

Another point: in a time where motorsports tend to disappear from the mainstream media, Spa owners don't want to see its track in the most popular racing game on PS4?! At the end, GT can live without Spa IMO.

29. VBR

VBR Premium

So sad to find out it's all about money, same with the Lotus situation.

:(

30. Scuderia Paul

Scuderia Paul

The new Ford GT is also in PCars2 and Forza 7. I would really like it, along with the GTE version, in GTS.

ice311man, cal1608h, XRaider and 11 others like this.