450PP Mini Challenge - A-spec

Gave a quick run. Used a bone stock 07 on CS tires no aids and 75 kg ballast. Got Silver on Rome. No podiums on any other race. Didn't see this as easy using that format. Hmm.

Maybe I should use the maximum allowable tires or use weight reduction and add a custom racing suspension and powertrain to race against stock Minis and idiot AI. Turn back on ABS. But then I would have needed help in an "easy" event. The shame would be unbearable.

Thanks for those posting tunes. It's nice to see a helpful attitude in these threads.

Considering normal race seasonals have no rankings or anything like that there is no reason they shouldn't have adjustable A.I. difficulty like Arcade Mode, (and optional SRF). We can argue about whatever one difficulty best suits the community, and I'd agree with many that it is a harder one than it is now, but just give us the option, then everyone's happy. It would still provide the same type of communal experience that is does now, with people discussing best cars, tunes, and handicaps.

About using better/worse car to adjust difficulty: Yes, we can augment our cars to match whatever difficulty A.I. they throw at us, but it is not the same. We don't need proof of that, that we feel that way is in of itself the proof. It can be enjoyable to race with an underpowered car, but we should also be able to race in as close to a matched car as the game can provide for. If at it's best the A.I. still isn't good enough, and the best racers still need to handicap there cars a bit, it's still a great improvement.

About the game even being able to give us more challenging A.I.: It can, we've seen it better, we are not imagining it.

About arcade mode: Thinking about this discussion I realized that I didn't even really remember what arcade mode was all about. And you know what, that is a real shame because now that I have enough experience, money and cars, arcade mode looks awesome. It really is too bad it doesn't provide money or (I think) experience.
The seasonals as they are now provide a narrowed focus of whats in arcade mode, with the benefit of the communal experience that it entails as well as money and experience, but arcade mode should have money and experience too, leaving the seasonals to just provide a nice communal experience or offer something we aren't getting in arcade mode.

What I think the modes SHOULD be about:

A-spec is about progression, starting from scratch getting cars, money, and experience with progressive difficulty, cars no better than the opposition, and faster cars as you move on.
Arcade Mode is about at any time, skill level, cars you can start a great race of whatever cars, tracks, difficulty, settings, laps, etc. you want and get money and experience
Seasonal Events (races, TT's, drift trials, etc.) provide a communal experience, and a ranking for competitiveness, when applicable.

And I am sorry to those that are looking for a more focused, on topic discussion, but at least we aren't treading the same old forced SRF ground again. So some progress, eh? :P

I am with krenkme on this one. Too much of this thread is complaining about the seasonals in general. Not much of this is really about the Mini Challenge.

What is everyone so worked up over? The seasonals have been this exact same format since they implemented the PP events. Since GT1, PD has programmed a rabbit in all A-Spec races. This IS the PD formula. It hasn't changed in two and a half years of complaining and I don't expect it to change in ANY future GT5 seasonal. So all of this whining in each and every seasonal event thread does get a bit old (my opinion).

I think this entire discussion about "what's wrong with the seasonals" (glass half empty) or "how to improve the seasonals" (glass half full) all belongs over in the GT6 thread.

As for GT5, it is very clear by now that PD is not going to change the formula that they have used since GT1 A-spec. So if you can still somehow find some enjoyment playing seasonals with weak AI, SFR on and re-purposed from two years ago, the play them. If not, then move on... go play another aspect of the game. Don't you all have other more important things to complain about in life? I just don't get it.

Alright Rido, here is my report. Won easily at 415 PP (passed all cars by then end of lap 2. Car handled great, no problems at all. Great tune at the PP. However, the lower the PP I went, the closed ratio trans just wasn't getting it and the LSD seemed a bit weak. Took your tune all the way down to 385 PP before I had to change to the custom trans. Bumped LSD up to 12/28/7 and got all the way down to 365 PP. I could probably go lower with the PP, but don't really feel like pushing it right now so 365 PP is it for me for now with your tune and my LSD changes. So, all in all, a very good tune you have here. Nobody should have any problems at all winning these events with your tune at the allowable PP. All this testing was done at Rome btw. The other courses should be no problem at all. Thanks for sharing your tune.

Thank you Cargo for trying my tune and giving me feedback, I am glad the car worked at the tune's PP and can go down with only adjustments in LSD + transmission.:cheers:👍

Gave a quick run. Used a bone stock 07 on CS tires no aids and 75 kg ballast. Got Silver on Rome. No podiums on any other race. Didn't see this as easy using that format. Hmm.

Maybe I should use the maximum allowable tires or use weight reduction and add a custom racing suspension and powertrain to race against stock Minis and idiot AI. Turn back on ABS. But then I would have needed help in an "easy" event. The shame would be unbearable.

Thanks for those posting tunes. It's nice to see a helpful attitude in these threads.

Well. just so you couldn't say that I was taking the easy way out, I decided to give your format a try. I just did a quick run on Rome (actually did this on my second run as I screwed up on my first try) and finished the race in first, passing the 2nd place car on the last set of turns. I admit, it was tough, but alot of fun holding back cars trying to get a run on me on the straights. And yes, ABS was off. (I've been practicing no ABS for awhile now.)

@Hami: Looks like you just added to the off topic banter yourself by playing mini-mod, lol.

@Rido: No problem my friend, my pleasure. :cheers:

@Hami: Looks like you just added to the off topic banter yourself by playing mini-mod, lol.

So I open the thread, post five tunes built for the seasonal, post links to all other tunes posted in the thread and made one post about my thoughts on the same old whining. Yeah... my balance of posts is off topic. :ouch: That all you got is to tell anyone with a differing opinion to yours that they're being a "mini-mod?"

I just used the stock Mini Cooper S '02 on Sports Hards and won easily at Rome - no contact with other cars, but a couple bumps on the wall.
Came in 2nd at Eiger - and I STINK there because I've probably only raced the reverse track about 5 times in 2 years.
So I put a supercharger on the thing and won there and at Deep Forest...
It was at 422pp (20,000miles on the car).
I didn't touch anything else. No transmission or flywheels or any settings adjustments at all.

I should specify, I don't like to drive dive bombing the AI cars and bounding around. I did some bumping at Eiger but mostly because I'm completely unfamiliar with the lines on the Reverse.
Otherwise it was no contact at rome & 1 minor bump on Deep Forest.

The problem I see is that if you use stock - you simply don't have the power to keep up... but then you start tuning... you can drive totally wild because of SRF...
It seems difficult to make it hard, without just totally nerfing your chances of winning.

Maybe the idea is that you drive wild. That's all I can think of.
And maybe people find that fun. To each their own of course.

All I can say is that was the most boring time I've ever had on Rome. That track is usually wonderful in whatever car.

I guess it might be fun for just a casual hop on the track.
Deep Forest wasn't too bad.
But now I feel like yes, I am just doing it for the Lvl 0 ticket. Which is what I want. (My favourite kind of ticket. :))

When I do the last 2 races, I'll say if I change my tune. :lol:
I'm not saying it's "too easy". That's not quite what I mean. Just not my cup of tea I guess the way it's set up and the options & lack thereof.

But no, not challenging enough to really call it "expert" either... if you can actually add parts to get up to 450pp. That means I could've added some intake or exhaust hp parts in addition to the supercharger... Then there would be absolutely no question about winning for me.

And like I said, it's not like I'm the fastest racer in town here.

Maybe if it had a PP & HP restriction. But for some reason PD thinks that's unthinkable to restrict both at the same time. :lol: :boggled:

I honestly believe we've had better seasonals than this one.
But that's not to say other people can't enjoy it.
I'd just like more options. And maybe some low power, tuning prohibited / stock tires restricted seasonals where all aids are optional so a variety of drivers can get in on the action. Or like someone else said where you can adjust the AI difficulty level.

Well. just so you couldn't say that I was taking the easy way out, I decided to give your format a try. I just did a quick run on Rome (actually did this on my second run as I screwed up on my first try) and finished the race in first, passing the 2nd place car on the last set of turns. I admit, it was tough, but alot of fun holding back cars trying to get a run on me on the straights. And yes, ABS was off. (I've been practicing no ABS for awhile now.)

@Rido: No problem my friend, my pleasure. :cheers:

Yeah, Rome using those parameters is the easiest. I kept bumping walls or the AI and restarting. The other tracks are harder that way. I'll have to add some power/transmission if I want wins at them at least on CS tires. Haven't tried SH's yet. Since the forced SRF, I've been trying to counter balance it's effects by dropping a grade. Doing that has added much more of a challenge.

I always run longer Arcade Races using that format and started trying it in seasonals. So it feels like they're "Expert" level to me if I have to tune or use AI tires. Of course these are only 5 laps with a big head start for the bots.

I won the races with a Mini Cooper Countryman '11. I bought the adjustable transmission and didn't even bother changing it from the default top end speed of 137. I don't even remember what car I won.

One, I wouldn't expect PD to produce seasonals which the BEST IN THE WORLD find 'challenging', because the REST OF THE WORLD would quickly stop participating.

The TT's exist for the purpose of establishing bragging rights.

There are ways for the participant to make the event more challenging for them. Why not explore that route instead of telling everyone who finds the event challenging enough that they suck?
The back-door boasting can grow tiresome.

Would be nice if they added a rank for the players that got 1st with the lowest PP. Give something to compete outside of TTs

I've done the event three times so far. Cooper S '11, S '05, and the 1.3i '98. Had to boost the PP on the '98 to do really well though because on the open tracks it just gets left in the dust.

Sark

I've done the event three times so far. Cooper S '11, S '05, and the 1.3i '98. Had to boost the PP on the '98 to do really well though because on the open tracks it just gets left in the dust.

Sark

Yeah you can't do it at stock HP in the '98... But out of curiosity, I'd like to know how much hp it needed to get the job done????

After a few runs was able to win consistently at Rome in both a stock 05 and 07. CS tires no other aids. 75kg ballast. I don't know why I couldn't do it last night. I like the 05 better, feels more lively.

After a few runs was able to win consistently at Rome in both a stock 05 and 07. CS tires no other aids. 75kg ballast. I don't know why I couldn't do it last night. I like the 05 better, feels more lively.
I don't really know enough about the details of this... but I've suspected the 05 is geared better than the 02. ?? I don't know if I've tried the 07 to be honest.
Anyhow that makes sense since I won easily in the 02 stock with sports hard. (Getting into 1st place by the beginning of the last lap.)
Couldn't do the same at Eiger Reverse but I stink there - I find the reverse completely disorienting.

Yeah you can't do it at stock HP in the '98... But out of curiosity, I'd like to know how much hp it needed to get the job done????

I don't know what the min needed would be, I guess that would depend almost entirely on one's driving ability. It was my third run through the series and I wanted to see if the 1.3i could be made competitive. I had it at max PP just to get it run and done and got gold very easily. One could probably cut many points and still take gold though. It's a great little car but very jumpy. It does not deal with curbs well and tends to get quite a bit of air under those tiny wheels that hit a curb even with a setting of 1 in compression and extension of the suspension. If you can drive a tight line and stay off the curbs it will haul though. Very enjoyable little car.

My only complaint other than the jumpiness is the odd feeling the cockpit view gives you. It's very much like you're in a sidecar of a motorcycle yet you're the driver or as if your head is hanging out the side window the whole time you're driving. If you drive from some other view I doubt you'll experience this odd feeling but I typically only drive from the cockpit view.

Sark

Alright Rido, here is my report. Won easily at 415 PP (passed all cars by then end of lap 2. Car handled great, no problems at all. Great tune at the PP. However, the lower the PP I went, the closed ratio trans just wasn't getting it and the LSD seemed a bit weak. Took your tune all the way down to 385 PP before I had to change to the custom trans. Bumped LSD up to 12/28/7 and got all the way down to 365 PP. I could probably go lower with the PP, but don't really feel like pushing it right now so 365 PP is it for me for now with your tune and my LSD changes. So, all in all, a very good tune you have here. Nobody should have any problems at all winning these events with your tune at the allowable PP. All this testing was done at Rome btw. The other courses should be no problem at all. Thanks for sharing your tune.

l:

OK, of course I had to attempt to reach Cargo's lower PP, and was having trouble doing so, perhaps because I started at 361PP first.

Anyway, upped ballast to 176kg, all extra power options off except for Titanium semi racing exhaust, power @ 61.5% making 125hp for 365PP and won $1.117,875 after 7:55.116. Best lap 1:34.6.

Last edited:
Nearly 11:30 pm here and finished my last race for the day in 1st place.

At Deep Forest using 364PP...127hp, 68% power.....max ballast = 1170kg, no extra power additions.

Best lap, 1:34.3, total time 7:55.514, won by .694sec.

Win $1,124,650...exp 107900.

Over to you Cargo.

Last edited:
Nearly 1:30 pm here and finished my last race for the day in 1st place.

At Deep Forest using 364PP...127hp, 68% power.....max ballast = 1170kg, no extra power additions.

Over to you Cargo.

Which mini cooper is this referring to?

Which Mini is overall fastest at 450 pp Ive ran similar laps with all of the Cooper S on all courses.

Nearly 1:30 pm here and finished my last race for the day in 1st place.

Over to you Cargo.

Sorry, you know better than that, lol. You, of all people, should know I don't put any serious time into these events anymore because of the SRF. I only did what I did earlier to help out Rido in testing his tune for him. I only do these events for the prize, thats it. Even then, I cringe at the thought of driving with the SRF being on, lol.

Seems as how you like competing with me, let me invite you to join the WRS. That is where most of my time is spent. You really should join. You will however have to run without your training wheels and you can't cut any corners, :lol: (jk) In all seriousness tho, give it a serious thought about joining. Its alot of fun and you will also learn a thing or two. :) Later my friend.

PS. Before anyone goes jumping on me about my comments about SRF, I'm only joking around with my buddy Dalone. No need to leave me any nasty posts.

I'm hoping someone can help a newbie with Mini Cooper S '07, performance points and v2.11. I used Motor City Hami's tune with the final result showing 240 HP. 1030 kg but 451 PP. The PP calculation is off by 1. I tried exiting and restarting GT5 but the result is the same.

Can anyone explain the 1 PP difference?

TIA

Back