4k or 60FPS?

• Thread starter Turboteg90
  • 57 comments

4k or 60 Fps.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • 60fps

Votes: 51 64.6%

• Total voters
Afraid you can't have both. It will be HD @30FPS on the XB1 and either HD @60FPS or 4K @30FPS on the XB1X.
He can have both, just not at the same time.

As for me, I'll do my durndest to aim for 4k 60fps but I don't think my GTX 1070 can quite manage it. Maybe if I take the antialiasing off.

Where is the 1080p 30fps option in the poll for first generation and budget console peasants I mean pioneers?

Last edited:
I love how forum polls always lack at least one vital option. :irked:

I'm not sure. I might go with 30 FPS in 1080p on the Xbox One. In case that ends up being unstable and poorly optimized, then I might get myself the Xbox One X. I'd be gutted to cash out for a new console just for FH4 though, mostly because the future of Forza Motorsport looks dire.

I play 3 with 30 FPS in 1280x720 window res on my PC, so that's probably how I'll play 4.

30 fps at 4K, on Xbox One X. I don't mind playing at 30 fps, since I'm used to playing Horizon games like that and the framerate is usually solid.

Going to be playing at 60 fps on PC. I tried 30 on FH3, but it felt very awkward and slow. Eh, I might just be spoiled.

Afraid you can't have both. It will be HD @30FPS on the XB1 and either HD @60FPS or 4K @30FPS on the XB1X.

I thought 4k TVs upscale most images regardless of their resolution. Atmos, etc.. In any event thanks for the info.

Ot, I won't do neither. Because I have neither. Probably get the TV on black Friday and the x for my birthday next year. God willing. Btw Always get the TV first ;)

Any videos to see the difference?

I'll be upscaling but basically 1080 @ 30fps.

Question: What happens when 4k is downscaled to 1080 and then upscaled back?
It should theoretically be better than straight 1080 right?

You can, but you would need a very good PC.

I do not though so even playing on my PC I’ll likely get stuck with 1080 @ 30fps. I’m fine with that though.

I guess I wasn't paying attention before as my computer can handle 1080 @60fps fairly easily so unless FH4 has way higher requirements (doubt it since it still has to work on the base XB1) I should be able to hit the same combo.

Any videos to see the difference?
They'd be meaningless on any device with a less than 4K output. It'd look like the 4K video had less fps for no reason.

I will try the 60 FPS for sure but since I mainly play singleplayer and on a 65” screen I’m leaning towards the 4K experience on my X1X. But it all depends on how big the drop in visuals is for 60fps. No doubt Digital Foundry will do a comparison test when the demo is out so I’ll see then.

They'd be meaningless on any device with a less than 4K output. It'd look like the 4K video had less fps for no reason.
True, but for all of us with 4k output, we could see.

It seems odd, to ask what people will use, if nobody can see the difference.

For example, I switched between upscaled 4k and 1080p for FH3 last night, and I had to hand the crown to 4k, and my TV doesn't have the HDR10 required for games, so that's even without HDR.

4K on the X since I'm used to the 30fps. However, thanks to the free digital PC version (for digital purchases), if I don't feel like firing up the console, will play 1080P/60 Ultra on my PC.

4k/60 on LG OLED B7 and 1080Ti. FH3 manages to run on ultra settings with 4x MSAA locked at 60fps in 4k 98% of the time, can get it to drop if i do light rain and low sun (so you have long shadows which are always a nightmare for hardware). Hope FH4 will be not way more demanding as i am not THAT crazy to purchase the new upcoming NVIDIA flagship gpu in autumn for roughly 1k.
and i hope we get HDR on Win10 this time too. FH3 lacks this and it is a considerable loss compared to consoles.

Last edited:
Will my OG XB1 even do 60fps?

Nope. Xbox One and XBox One S will still be limited to 1080P 30FPS, The XBox One X will have the option to play at 4K 30FPS or 1080P 60FPS.
But it should (current videos do) upscale to 4k very nicely.

I've been checking 4k stuff out a little, and anything originally 4k upscales much better to 4k. With FH3 looking so good upscaled, I expect FH4 will be even better in that regard, as current trailers certainly upscale nicely.

Hopefully with my pants on.

Oh, wait.
No promises :P

Back