4k or 60FPS?

• Thread starter Turboteg90
  • 57 comments

4k or 60 Fps.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • 60fps

Votes: 51 64.6%

• Total voters
Come to think of it, I hope FH4 has dynamic resolution scaling for PC and XboxOneX 60FPS mode.
Halo and Battlefield use it to keep up 60FPS on consoles. FM7 has a dynamic option for resolution scaling on PC, though my PC can already handle it at 4K60fps on Ultra anyways. Finally getting around to playing Far Cry 5 and it has a Dynamic resolution scaling option, So i just set op the game at 4K on Ultra and let it scale resolution dynamically to keep up 60FPS, Looks great and runs great.
So I would love for FH4 to have it, Just set it to Ultra and let the game handle resolution scaling as needed to keep up 60fps.

4K (TV) on Xbox One X. I tend to opt for resolution over frame rate on the PS4 Pro games as well, mostly for the sharper pictures and details on the photo modes etc. It is nice to have the option to flick to 60FPS for races if I need it. If they have an adjustable brightness option for HDR that would be good as well.

I’ll be going with 60fps.

The difference between that and 30 is more visually striking to me than 1080p to 4K would be.

This is why Play Anywhere titles is a good thing despite what some console war fanboys (gamefaqs) think. I'll play it like I do with FH3, 4K on the Xbox One X and other times 1080/60 on the PC, if I don't feel like playing on the console.

Win-win.

I tried the demo and found the 60fps easier and more fun to play. When playing 4K at 30fps (Xbox 1x) I was all over the place?

It did look nice but found it harder to control, is it me or is there some lag I have not noticed before?

I tried the demo and found the 60fps easier and more fun to play. When playing 4K at 30fps (Xbox 1x) I was all over the place?

It did look nice but found it harder to control, is it me or is there some lag I have not noticed before?

I find that there's a sense of slow motion and very pronounced motion blur on the old Xbox One. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's laggy, but definitely not as smooth-running as FH3. Keep in mind it's a demo, and probably an older build possibly not showing the full potential.

both.jpg

All joking aside, it really depends on the game! For high-paced games such as racing games and FPS I prefer 60fps+, but for other games, I'd probably prefer 4K if I had a capable PC and right monitor for it.

I will try the 60 FPS for sure but since I mainly play singleplayer and on a 65” screen I’m leaning towards the 4K experience on my X1X. But it all depends on how big the drop in visuals is for 60fps. No doubt Digital Foundry will do a comparison test when the demo is out so I’ll see then.

I changed my opinion towards 60 FPS. I tried both in the demo and after fiddling with the settings on my TV I find the 60 FPS more beneficial than the 4K. That is mainly because my TV is great at up-scaling and I sit over 3 meters away from it. At that distance the difference between 1080P and 4K is not that big for my aging human eyes.

I also switched my TV in gamer mode and since I play a lot of FPS games lately that sure is the way to go. The lack of more image processing power from my TV in gamer mode actually makes a bigger difference than the 30 or 60 FPS from the FH4 demo.

My games for this fall are 4 pre-orders:
FH4 & BFV : multiplayer - TV in gamer mode - games in 60 FPS (multiplayer setup).
AC: Odyssey & RDR2 : singleplayer - TV in movie mode - games in 30 FPS (graphics setup).

I cant choose, that 4k mode is ****ing awsome!! Looks so nice and sharp.....

But that 60fps is also nice.......

Crap i dont know......

I'm going to try both :D.

Horizon 3 ran very well on my computer, I think they did an outstanding job of optimising it, so I think Horizon 4 should be very well optimised as well.

If I can get 60fps and 4k though I'll have to see, given the choice of one or the other though I'd take 60fps over 4k.

Can't have either one of it (Xbox One S...) but I'd rather have 60fps. Game looks good enough to me even on performance mode to be honest.

I will be getting as many as I can at 1080P on PC I'm going to be upgrading my monitor in a few days to a 144Hz freesync one.

Does 4k mode have any extra visual enhancements beyond the resolution? I ask because my TV is 1080 so 4k in itself wouldn't do anything, but if rendering distances/effects/etc are greater than it could be worth it.

For example, Project Cars 2 has 3 modes: resolution, framerate, and visuals. I prefer visuals, and would likely do similar with FH4 if it combines visuals with 4k mode. If not, then 60 FPS is the obvious (only) choice for me.

Digital Foundry made an awesome video comparing both X1X settings with the PC settings. As you can see from the screenshot below, the 30 FPS mode not only has the 4K resolution as an advantage over the 60 FPS mode’s 1080p resolution, but there are a bunch of image quality settings which are better as well.

47D9F1BE-192F-4474-BB1E-D8EC184D5326.png

Again, big shout out to DF for this great tech info video which you can find here:

Fortunately, I can do both :)
On my desktop I can run at 1440p/72fps with everything on Extreme.

From my experience with the game so far Xbox One X Performance mode is great, the framerate more than makes up for the disabling of some graphical options.

I'd probably alternate depending on what I'm going to be doing. Photomode will get 1080p@30 and actually playing the game will be the 4k option

Fortunately, I can do both :)
On my desktop I can run at 1440p/72fps with everything on Extreme.

From my experience with the game so far Xbox One X Performance mode is great, the framerate more than makes up for the disabling of some graphical options.

I have made up my decision on how to play as well. Since my 2012 gaming PC is seriously aging now and my X1X is my main platform, this is what I will do:

* The first few weeks is singleplayer focus anyway with the many oohs and aaahs for the graphics. This period I will play in 30 FPS / 4K mode with the best graphical immersive experience on X1X. I'm not hindered with the 30 fps for my eyes anyway since my Samsung TV (when not in gamer mode) does some awesome smoothing of the image, no 30 Hz flickering whatsoever and in turns the trees look absolutely nice in motion. Biggest downside of this way of playing is the highest possible input lag combining the worse of both (30 fps console and bigger input lag on the TV), but it looks gorgeous. :)

* Once I've consumed most singleplayer content and I want to focus more on online racing, then I will swap to the 60 fps mode and put my TV in gamer mode. The TV won't do all that nice processing anymore to clean up the image but the 60 fps from the game will still give a smooth visual experience, in turns in motion it does actually look slightly worse than the 30 fps with the TV at work. But in this combination I will have the fastest possible input mode combining the best of both there (60 fps console and TV in gamer mode).

I have been testing out these combinations in the demo and the difference in my skill level is absolutely massive due to the faster response and not having input lag. I have played all of FH3 with my TV not in gamer mode, it looks amazing, never any 30 FPS feeling but with slower input lag. Actually I never knew any better. :) Now in the FH4 demo the difference between both is either beating the unbeatable AI (60 fps and gamer mode TV) or else finishing top 3 / top 5 against them. Even on the very beginning of the opening race in the Senna, it's a walk in the park in 60/gamer mode but in the other combination - while looking visually great - I have to focus my best predicting the input lag to not hit a stone wall or another car.

What I sure learned this last week is that it's not just about the console and 30fps/4k vs 60fps/1080p but if you play on a TV your TV's image quality processing make a huge difference as well.

edit: - what I am actually missing is some sort of an image quality setting for FH4 X1X. You know, 30 fps, 1080p and then those sliders from my earlier screenshot further towards extreme. :) It would be useful for people who don't mind the 30 fps but who only have a 1080p TV anyway. Project CARS 2 also has those 3 similar settings on X1X where you choose between performance (60 fps), resolution (4K) or quality (ultra/extreme settings).

Last edited:
After playing both modes, I've decided by preference is Quality mode (4K/30). 60fps feels ultra smooth, but I feel as though there were a few too many graphical sacrifices made, particularly the lack of motion blur - which removes the sense of speed imo.

I can't believe how amazing quality mode looks! :eek:

Sticking with 1080p, it's already very crisp and sharp. Rendering is physics based right? Looks absolutely gorgeous. 👍

After playing for a week here's my preference:

• Xbox One X: Performance Mode
  • Windows 10 (1440p monitor): All settings maxed, get around 70-80fps with G-Sync enabled.
  • Windows 10 (4K TV): Ultra preset, 60fps lock.

Desktop: i7/8700k, 1080ti, 32GB RAM

30 fps at 4K, on Xbox One X. I don't mind playing at 30 fps, since I'm used to playing Horizon games like that and the framerate is usually solid.
Going to be playing at 60 fps on PC. I tried 30 on FH3, but it felt very awkward and slow. Eh, I might just be spoiled.

After I got a PC, 30 FPS has been completely unplayable for me. The choppiness...ugh. It feels like i'm watching a slideshow.
It's hard to not feel smug seeing that you all have to choose, though. I still get depressed thinking about how much money I spent on this PC, so the superiority feeling ends there though. Choices, I guess.

i7-4770K, 16GB DDR3 ram, GTX 1070, 1TB SSD.
Got the game running great at 1440P 60fps on Extreme with 2x MSAA. I'm happy with that.

Is there any benefit at all using quality mode on a 1080 TV?
(Xbox X, older Sony 1080p monitor)
Yes because there is more than just a resolution change. There are graphical differences like anti aliasing and motion blur that changes as well. That’s not all and there’s an image circulating around that shows the differences but I can’t seem to find it.

Edit: that actual image is a few post before yours. Scroll up.

Judging by my experience on PC, SSAO must make a big difference in quality mode. I remember one member complaining about the omission of ambient occlusion in FH3 (didn't see any comments from him on its inclusion in 4 because praise isn't what he does :lol:).

Yes because there is more than just a resolution change. There are graphical differences like anti aliasing and motion blur that changes as well. That’s not all and there’s an image circulating around that shows the differences but I can’t seem to find it.

Edit: that actual image is a few post before yours. Scroll up.

I tested it, but the difference in fps was clearly evident on xbox x, nothing i can live with..

Back