5 reasons GT6 is a PS4 game

• Thread starter Mulan
  • 709 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/24/sony-to-support-ps3-until-at-least-2015

"Sony's VP of hardware marketing John Koller has revealed the company will continue to support the PS3 until at least 2015 with a range of first-party content. "A lot of great content is coming," Koller suggested, continuing, "And over the next 2-3 years, the PS3 has got an incredible lineup."

You saw that too, huh. (couple of posts above)

GT6 will probably be what GT5 should have been.

It's just marketing spiel though, he's hardly going to say that "over the next 2-3 years whilst still supporting PS3 the game line-up will be pretty weak", is he?

Yeah. If it appears like Sony is abandoning the system, then third party publishers will and sales of the system sales will start to tank. It doesn't mean anything either way by itself. I'm sure if you went digging, you could find similar statements for the PS2 in 2008 or thereabouts.

You believe that Sony will hold back their most valuable franchises from the PS4 to bring them on the PS3?

If the PS4 would come out in late 2014 or in 2015 I could understand it, but this just makes not much sense. And they have to tell those marketing lines now, because you hear everyone talking about next gen and I guess that even the causual people think about waiting for next gen.

Well, Microsoft doesnt wait for Sony to move on. If your scenario will become reality, Sony is gonna have a bad time.

I thought a new console is something to be happy about, but some people are hating even the idea so much, that it is just sad.

As... we just kind of pointed out before you posted that news again... that link doesn't mean the PS4 won't be coming out until 2015, and it doesn't mean that all first part content over the next 2-3 years will be on the PS3 or that GT6 will be included in that "wide range".

So you think GT6 will be out 2015+?

No, I personally think it will be 2013 or early 2014. But it will only be possible, if the PS4 launches next year. Otherwise it may be on the PS3 too.

The world wide gaming press is expecting the PS4 and Xbox "720" in 2013. Many companies that are in the business already said that they know about the 2013 date or also expect them in that launch window. What I am trying to say is, that is a very likely scenario.

I am very solid with my opinion and thoughts about it, but there is still a factor that I am not sure about. It is nearly impossible to estimate the way the Japanese gaming companies act. They do their own thing and they can be very unpredictable.

In the article you qouted it already says that both consoles may overlap. Happened with the PS2 and PS3 also.

So you think GT6 will be out 2015+?

Who knows, but a PS4 release means launch titles and the GT series is one of its main franchises. Plus if GT6 comes after xmas 2014 on the ps3 it can't possibly compete against forza5 on the xbox720.

Yeah. The day Forza competes with GT is when it can sell at least half of what GT sells.

However, I hope PD doesn't think it will be like this forever. If they keep up with this long wait between iterations, FM will eventually start to sell more and drive away GT fans from the PS to the Xbox. Even if this won't happen anytime soon, they really need to be aware of upcoming competition. They're simply not the only SIM driving game for some time now.

Oh my, you read to much in this. The only reason stating this is that PS3 is in its last year before PS4 comes. They have to still sell it even if better things are around the corner. Christmastime, Wii U coming before christmas, Xbox (720) and PS4 next year people might think that bying ps3 now will mean only playing old games. So they assure the consumer that you can buy ps3 and enjoy new games 2-3 years ahead.
If i read something is that PS4 is really near launch and since GT5 still gets alot of support from PD and expanding its GT Academy i just cant see GT6 for PS3 if its not a ps3/ps4 game. Why still hoping for it to be a PS3 game when they have easier job making it for PS4 (so there really is a differance) and get free marketing at the same time (everyone will be writing about PS4 and launchtitles, forget PS3 at that time)

GT as a launch title. :lol: That's a good one.
Launch title in the literal sense is unlikely, but GT6 releasing 6-12 months after PS4 launch is absolutely reasonable. PS4 will need all the help it can get, and GT will help them, but not if it turns up years after PS4 ships. This assumes that this is the scenario that Sony have been planning for, as I and others believe they have.

@daus26, people have started to move over from GT to FM, as evidenced by posters in threads here and elsewhere, especially those who were disappointed by GT5. It might not be on a large scale - and may never will be - but that's not something you want to chance, and by releasing Spec II on FM4's release date, Sony at last acknowledged FM, which is absolutely the right thing to do.

It's the reason why IMO Sony have been planning for GT6 to be a PS4 title, because when Xbox Next ships, Turn 10 are almost certain to be there early on. And if a next gen FM is already out, and GT fans are still twiddling their thumbs waiting for next gen GT, I think that could increase the amount of people moving over to Forza, especially now that FM has proven itself to be not just a strong competitor to GT, but one that does many things much better than GT has ever done.

Yeah. The day Forza competes with GT is when it can sell at least half of what GT sells.

However, I hope PD doesn't think it will be like this forever. If they keep up with this long wait between iterations, FM will eventually start to sell more and drive away GT fans from the PS to the Xbox. Even if this won't happen anytime soon, they really need to be aware of upcoming competition. They're simply not the only SIM driving game for some time now.

I thought I would never say something like this, but I really have to agree.

GT as a launch title. :lol: That's a good one.

As for Forza. The quality of the game is not in doubt, but the sales figures are not in the same league as GT, and never have been. It is not competition in any sense of the word.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45656/forza-motorsport-4/

Now if both games where on the same system, it might get interesting.

In the same period of time time the forza series sold more than GT5:Prologue and GT5 combined. Also reviews favor forza4 over GT5.
Source: your link rofl.

The one behind is PD, not turn10.

Can you read? Notice where I point out this is not a quality issue? As in reviews? :dunce:

Good one on sales. Heard of like for like? 2.36 million Forza 4 sales? A tiny little game like GT5P laughs at sales like that with 5.34 million, never mind GT5 with 7.43 million.

Best selling Forza ever? 3 with 5.09 million. It is not in the same league.

In the same period of time time the forza series sold more than GT5:Prologue and GT5 combined. Also reviews favor forza4 over GT5.
Source: your link rofl.

The one behind is PD, not turn10.

Can you read? Notice where I point out this is not a quality issue? As in reviews? :dunce:

Good one on sales. Heard of like for like? 2.36 million Forza 4 sales? A tiny little game like GT5P laughs at sales like that with 5.34 million, never mind GT5 with 7.43 million.

Best selling Forza ever? 3 with 5.09 million. It is not in the same league.

Period of time ≠ individual games.

In the same period of time the forza series sold more than the GT series and that's a fact. The way turn10 achieved it was by constantly making games (4) whereas PD only released 2; and even turn10 is not low enough to release "prologues".

The tendency continues nowadays because in just one year there's a new forza (horizon, different studio same brand) and it's almost 2 years since GT5 and nothing is on the horizon for who knows how much time.

And that doesn't count DLC, in which forza's been absolutely destroying gt5 for years.

Reviews count because that's the franchise's reputation, which is crucial in sales of the upcoming games. GT is going down and Forza is going up. Same happens with Xbox against Playstation.

Last edited:
avens
Period of time ≠ quantity of games.

In 6 years the forza series sold more than the GT series and that's a fact. The way turn10 achieved it was by constantly making games (4) whereas PD only released 2; and even turn10 is not low enough to release "prologues".

The tendency continues nowadays because in just one year there's a new forza (horizon, different studio same brand) and it's almost 2 years since GT5 and nothing is on the horizon.

And that doesn't count DLC, in which forza absolutely destroys gt5.

You can look at this in another way over gt's life from 1 to 5 and forzas 1 to 4 gt would have sold more copies but thats because gt has been out longer.

I tend to ignore sales figures and concentrate on the core of the games.

edit: whats this got to do with gt6 being a ps4 game?

Forza or GT5, i'm curious why they sell so bad in Japan. Europe & N.America do the most sales even though we get Nissans.
Still, Forza in Japan...can it be called other name, seems like its not even released there by the sellfigures 0,04M units is way low.

You can look at this in another way over gt's life from 1 to 5 and forzas 1 to 4 gt would have sold more copies but thats because gt has out longer.

When comparing GT5 and GT5:Prologue sales you have to consider it was a 6 years development time. In the mean time there was competition around, that surpassed GT5 and Prologue sales wise.

And it isn't just forza. In that period lots of other racing games and simulators appeared on the market and got an awful lot popular. For example the NFS series laughs at GT.
It isn't like the good old days in which it was Gran Turismo or nothing.

As for the core game...well, 650+ unique "premiums" against about 150.

You can look at this in another way over gt's life from 1 to 5 and forzas 1 to 4 gt would have sold more copies but thats because gt has been out longer.

Think it was that Forza is a force to count on, if GT6 is PS3 game and Forza next gen Xbox it might be a killer for the GT franchise.

When comparing GT5 and GT5:Prologue sales you have to consider it was a 6 years development time. In the mean time there was competition around, that surpassed GT5 and Prologue sales wise.
And it isn't just forza. In that period lots of other racing games and simulators appeared on the market and got an awful lot popular; it isn't like the good old days in which it was Gran Turismo or nothing.

As for the core game...well, 650+ unique "premiums" against about 150.

Yeah, just look at Mario Cart ;)
32.2M sold

avens
And it isn't just forza. In that period lots of other racing games and simulators appeared on the market and got an awful lot popular; it isn't like the good old days in which it was Gran Turismo or nothing.

As for the core game...well, 700 unique premiums against about 150.

I dont see how the amount of cars is the core of the game.

But I can see this will lead us off topic so ill leave it there a debate for another thread.

I will put this out there but PD need to create more man hours per hours, hire more people and release in a shorter time frame. It may cost money but will make more money in the long run releasing more games and DLC quicker. If they had a larger staff, twice the size maybe (and a good talker) they could of created more cars and tracks. Efficiency is key but PD doesn't seem to have any. If they had more man hours per hour then GT5 might of not been delayed that long, had a Tourist trophy and Even been finishing up GT6. If all of these were released in the Ps3 time frame then thats a more money in the bank for them. I still would of bought all 3 instead of this small dlc bundles and unfinished game so far plus a GT6 that hasn't been given a date or year for release.

not sure if this was brought up...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/24/sony-plans-to-support-ps3-through-2015-at-least/

"We are increasingly bullish on the PS3's prospects not only this year but over the next few years," Koller says. "A lot of great content is coming. And over the next two to three years, the PS3 has got an incredible lineup."

"We're going to continue supporting the PS3 for the next few years. Absolutely."

GT6 will be on the PS3.

It was. The tl;dr version is that it doesn't mean that GT6 will be a PS3 game because "a range of first party content" doesn't mean any specific first party game, nor does it mean that the PS4 won't come out in that period of time, nor does it mean that if the PS4 comes out in that period of time that it won't get first party games that the PS3 will not in that time period.

All it means is that Sony will continue making games of some sort for the system for the next few years. Which is no different to how they supported the PSX or PS2 after their successors launched.

Squach240
not sure if this was brought up...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/24/sony-plans-to-support-ps3-through-2015-at-least/

"We are increasingly bullish on the PS3's prospects not only this year but over the next few years," Koller says. "A lot of great content is coming. And over the next two to three years, the PS3 has got an incredible lineup."

"We're going to continue supporting the PS3 for the next few years. Absolutely."

GT6 will be on the PS3.

Aren't PS2 games still being made? Or has that plugged been completely pulled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back