500PP British LightWeights

As it's Sunday afternoon I decided to take the Jag for a spin. 61 E-type, stock except for stage 1 weight reduction to get it under 1200kg. Had a lovely drive in the imaginary Italian countryside and beat the Spitfire, MGs and TVRs but couldn't get close to the MR Lotuses. Maybe with a tune it could be a contender but I like it the way it is.

Mini Marcos at Cote was fun. Very easy to drive and nimble round the twisty bits but too slow on the straights. Again couldn't catch the Lotuses.

The Fireblade is way too skittish on CS tyres for me. It's probably not fast enough even if I could keep it pointing in the right direction.

I'm struggling to find a car other than the MR Lotuses (I'd include the Vauxhall MX220 in that) capable of winning. Maybe I'll have to try the Spitfire.

The newer McLaren (MP4-12C) is capable. I won Toscana with it, but not as easily as with the Lotus 111R.

The newer McLaren (MP4-12C) is capable. I won Toscana with it, but not as easily as with the Lotus 111R.

How did you manage that? I tried it and couldn't get the PP low enough without adding ballast that took it over the weight limit.

How did you manage that? I tried it and couldn't get the PP low enough without adding ballast that took it over the weight limit.

I ballasted it and cut the power. Pretty sure it was one I never did any power mods to (no Stage 3 engine tuning, for example). I'm just firing up the PS3 so I'll have a look.

Want I should put it on shared status so you can have a go?

Stage 3 weight reduction, window weight reduction, carbon hood, aftermarket rear wing, 81Kg of ballast at -50 to put it at 1200Kg, 47/53 f/r weight distribution.

314hp, no tune-up bits or turbo, sits right at 500pp. It's a bit more solid and stable than the 111R, but it's no faster around a track.

I ballasted it and cut the power. Pretty sure it was one I never did any power mods to (no Stage 3 engine tuning, for example). I'm just firing up the PS3 so I'll have a look.

Want I should put it on shared status so you can have a go?

Stage 3 weight reduction, window weight reduction, carbon hood, aftermarket rear wing, 81Kg of ballast at -50 to put it at 1200Kg, 47/53 f/r weight distribution.

314hp, no tune-up bits or turbo, sits right at 500pp. It's a bit more solid and stable than the 111R, but it's no faster around a track.

Thanks. You're absolutely right. My mistake, I'd done the weight reduction then forgotten to reduce the ballast.

I tried the Spitfire with Giullietta73's tune. Surprisingly fast for Spitfire but I could only manage 4th at Toscana. You can really carry a lot of speed through the corners with it but it requires a very gentle touch. Any sudden moves and you're in trouble. A fun drive though. Thanks, I'd never have thought of using it.

The TVR Griffith 500 is a revelation. Won at Toscana completely stock. Looks promising.

I notice that Toscana has long, long brake zones, but really all you need to do in most of the bends is lift and maybe a light tap on the brakes, not the long heavy braking that seems to be indicated. I was carrying 100mph-plus speeds through so many of those bends and sweepers that I was passing two cars at a time in some of the turns!

I think I'll have a go with the Griffith next. I'm still achieving by far my best times with my trusty li'l 111R. 278hp, 886Kg seems to be a winning combination. :)

@Stirling & Kwicko
The Spitfire is very twitchy indeed. Maxing out the aero makes it a bit more stable - I don't think I added that on my edit. :dunce:
And like Kwicko says, small taps on the break - enough to just point the nose into the apex is all that's needed. Thanks for your tips guys, gonna check out the Griffith and the E-Type next:tup:

Had tried a Stock no aids Griffith which was out gunned by the Elise posse.

I had a dash in a brand New 111R Elise. and did much of Krenke's set up.

19kg @ 50 seemed different to me. I usually try for 50/50 but this just seemed to be a lead fileld rear bumper - I guess to give more rear traction.

I ran with That and a rear wing at 20 and all th epower mods but I used a Turbo 2 and no Chip on the engine.
264bhp/26Eurotorques 879kg 496pp
I didn't use any suspension LSD gearbox stuff. just the power. (And BB set to 3/2)

And that was enough to get a win against a grid that I usually get...

Lotus Elise 190 - 8m35
Elan - 9m14
Type 72 - 8m35.5
Europa - 8m58
111S - 8m49 - 9m02 (I think it had a crash on one lap in an AI vs AI shunt)
111R - 8m44 - 8m58 (It often gets stuck in traffic)
V8S - 9m27
Griffith - 9m30
TF160 - 9m31
Spitfire - 9m32
MGF - 9m31

Race times at Niatnuom Lairt

I ran 3 replays running with just power
1m41.5 - 8m31.6
Ran with Power and Krenkes LSD, Suspesnion and Gearbox
1m39.9 - 8m25.2
Then twice with Krenkes's dark magic set up skils but no power mods (198bhp/20.3Torques)
1m41.9 - 8m36.7 (3rd)
1m41.6 - 8m36.5 (3rd with crash!)

Loads of fun, the Elise jumping and skipping over the many undulations of Niatnuom Lairt

Times are slow as I don't cut corners, touch the AI cars, use ABS or Traction Control.

The blind apex corners with steep curbs near the tiled walls were fun as if you do get your inside wheels to hit the curbs the car launches and really unsettles the car. I knew I should not be aiming for such a tight clipping point, but it was fun to get a bit too close at times.

Cheers for the set up Krenke

Esprit V8 works well, specially on Fuji and Toscana. Toscana is becoming my favorite track. I can't drift but on Toscana the corners lend themselves to it.

Here's a challenge for advanced drivers. No aids, no ABS at 485PP with the AC 427. A video of Grand Valley East with the same car and set up will follow tomorrow.

This sounds like a reasonably challenging seasonal. Only four hours until I get to attack it... Is the Caterham Fireblade elligible for this event? If so has anyone tried it yet?

Yes it is. But unfortunately, you have to cut the power down so much to get it to make the 500pp spec (I think it was like 56%/90 HP) the car is absolutely gutless. Handles pretty good though but the pack walked away almost immediately.

Just did a first lap 1:14.642, followed by a 1:13.xxx and three in the :12s, with a low of 1:12.178. Took first early in Lap 4, had a couple offs. Also set the top speed too low and bounced off the rev limiter down about half the front straight... :)

ETA: A few adjustments, a first lap of 1:14.022, and a string of :11s after, with a low of 1:11.152. Took first place at the end of Lap 3, so yes, it absolutely can be done, even by a hack like me.

Your low of 1.11.1 is very close to the 1.10's which I have managed quite a few times now.

My best, overtaking 1st place on lap 3, was less than halfway through the tunnel but is usually between the tunnel and the R/hander at the bottom of the hill.

And I run out of legs before the turn at the end of the main straight but don't want to try raising the top speed in case I muck something up. (that's how clever I am at tuning, ha ha)

Glad to hear you have managed to claim 1st place in the 3rd lap, join the club, or as some here say, join the liars, ha ha.

Still waiting for advice about how to send a video here.

Here's a challenge for advanced drivers. No aids, no ABS at 485PP with the AC 427. A video of Grand Valley East with the same car and set up will follow tomorrow.

Lewis, can you explain how you send the video of the race here please.

It may well be too difficult for me but I would appreciate if you could take the time to do so.

Thanks mate.

Do you have a capture card or some form of device to record from your TV/PS3?

It would probably be easier for you to export your replay file and send it as an attachment in a PSN message to me, where I can then load it up and view your replay in my GT5 game, and I'll record it from there. Or alternatively, you could export your replay data to a USB stick, copy it to your PC and then send it to me over here, an online storage site or by email.

If you wish I can alter the sounds and colours for you too like I've started doing in mine to give the game a bit of extra life.

Here's Grand Valley East at 490PP with the AC 427, no aids and no ABS. Have a go with this car and no ABS if you want a serious challenge, I only won by 0.03 seconds!

Last edited:
I don't want to say 'duh' to this because the OP is serious but if anyone playing GT5 doesn't think that the AI depends on the car you are driving, well, you're playing the wrong game. The AI ALWAYS plays to the car you are driving if you are in the ballpark. I noticed that in GT4 and it's the same in GT5. I haven't noticed this idea before on here but you can really see it in the seasonals. The AI seems to take the car out of the course and challenges you to drive. Not so much in the A-spec races but really obvious in the seasonals. If this is a 'been there, know that' scenario, apologies. Thanks to the OP for mentioning this.
I think this comes down to what kind of laps the AI are running. One thing I think I've noticed is that the AI they give you are somehow dependent on what car you are driving, so depending on what car you choose your competition may be stiffer or weaker which will change when you can overtake them.

I'm wondering if this is a possible explanation

Only one I cannot seem to get right is the Grand Valley one - I'll try the setups mentioned above.

I'll give it a go provided your front and rear ride heights are the same :)
And aside to the above,
i have had luck on Grand Valley with the Lotus esprit 350, AC 427, and caterham fireblade. So many cars to choose from and i've had so much fun on Grand Valley i haven't progressed from there yet :D (not had much time yet either)

Lewis;
"Do you have a capture card or some form of device to record from your TV/PS3?

It would probably be easier for you to export your replay file and send it as an attachment in a PSN message to me, where I can then load it up and view your replay in my GT5 game, and I'll record it from there. Or alternatively, you could export your replay data to a USB stick, copy it to your PC and then send it to me over here, an online storage site or by email."

I have a USB stick but don't know how to get the race onto it. Plugged it into PS3 and have had it light up a couple of times but that's it.

How do I get it from Saved Races to the USB? That is the question. Step by step.

Heheheheh... Just lowered the 111R's power down to 263hp, 959Kg weight, 484pp... Still took first place on Toscana on Lap 3, won it by 21.656 seconds. Sweet little car when it's set up right.

Lewis;

"Here's Grand Valley East at 490PP with the AC 427, no aids and no ABS. Have a go with this car and no ABS if you want a serious challenge, I only won by 0.03 seconds!"

~~

Could not manage it at all without ABS, expect it would take a while to learn to not use it. However, luckily there are no races where it can't be used so I can live without being able to go without it.
More power to you that you have managed to succeed without it.
Anyway I'll try using the car with ABS only, although I will look for a tune for it later.

Wasn't having a great deal of luck with just ABS so added SRF as well.
I also copied the whole tune from my Elise 111R to see how it would go, and also went up to 500PP, but will lower it later.
Am now doing 1.12 sec laps and have taken the lead on lap 4.
Wish it had some aero over the tail. Maybe that can be done?

So I'm right away from your challenge now Lewis, and into a different ballgame. This car is still a handful for average drivers, in my opinion. But it's fun.

Last edited:
Won by 7.7 secs on my last try, a couple of 1.12 sec runs including one of 1.12.0.

And overtook the lead car before the tunnel in the 4th lap.

'Nuff or now.

What you can do to make the AC 427 more controllable, without driving aids, is:
-set rear toe to negative (negative front toe will help also)
-set rear diff open
I found the car oversteers on corner entry - apply minimal counter steer and only apply a very small amount of accelerator.
With this car set up with negative rear toe you can use the accelerator gently to get controlled turn of the front of the car.
Let the car win the race with its KILLA acceleration on the striaghts.

Thanks for that Citycar, could you tell me what '-set rear diff open' actually means please.

I presume it is the LSD you are talking about?

Thanks for that Citycar, could you tell me what '-set rear diff open' actually means please.

I presume it is the LSD you are talking about?

Sorry to be ambiguous, i was at work.
LSD 30/28/20 initial/accel/brake
gearbox: set final drive 2.625 then switch default gearbox to 260kph or equivalent MPH.
-0.24 front toe; -0.30 rear toe
camber front 2.8 ; rear 1.5
Its just an inital setting left over from the pre 1969 classic challenge for eifel cart.

Last edited:
111r at 500pp all the way to gold them all. One of my favorite cars at that pp level anyway. Very tail happy of course but controllable and fun to drive.

I started with the 111R and found the handling really unforgiving and inconsistent on CS tyres. The Evora proved way quicker for me. Im trying a TVR Tamora now; even at 500pp it is a fun challenge.

I started with the 111R and found the handling really unforgiving and inconsistent on CS tyres. The Evora proved way quicker for me. Im trying a TVR Tamora now; even at 500pp it is a fun challenge.

I was doing 1.10 laps in my 111R and consistently took the lead in the 3rd lap.

Do you remember how yours did? Maybe it was the way it was tuned?

Just wondering.

Dalone
I was doing 1.10 laps in my 111R and consistently took the lead in the 3rd lap.

Do you remember how yours did? Maybe it was the way it was tuned?

Just wondering.

I still won in the 111r @500pp.. I just found the Evora more predictable for me. I like to try a few different cars not just the one regarded as most competitive. Also, my time trial statistics would suggest it wasnt just ' the way it was tuned '... To me, the 111r is quick-but this isnt a time trial- it is a race. In a race, qualities such as low-end torque or better traction off raceline, low tyre wear rate etc. are a benefit. Try a TVR, a ginetta or even a mini marcos Gt...they mightnt do 1:10 laps but its more fun than using the car regarded as most competitive and copying someone else's tune onto it. You would be surprised the credits you win for a 3rd, even for 4th in a low pp car.

Back