550PP Pre 1980 American Cars Super Lap: Trial Mountian

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 143 comments
Just about ready to give up on this devil 550PP time trial on sports. Raced it so many times already and confess I've cussed and laughed at the same time. Be that as it may I just can't seem to beat my 1:34something or so time, try as hard as I could and believe me I tried. Might just give it one more go if I could beg a tune from a certain friend who knows who he is.

Big ups to those superior racers aka aliens who have gotten lower than 1:34 far more 1:20something though. *tips hat* You all deserve an award.

EDIT: Scratch that tune request I was thinking about. I now remember it's the Anniversary Edition of the Ford a certain friend is using which I don't have and is not available to buy. Woe is me.

Last edited:
I had another go at this last night, this time with the AC Cobra 427. I gave it a mild tune, slapped on Racing Soft Suspension, and proceeded to run a few laps. Instantly improved from the Shelby GT350 time I had set. There was still loads of tail-happy moments, so I went back and fitted Fully Customized Suspension, and knocked off another 1.6 seconds to end up on 1:36:517, which was enough for now! I'm happy with that time for the Cobra. Anyone else run the Cobra?

I realized 1'33'054 with my Ford GT40 MARK I '66. But it is still very unstable and difficult to control.:crazy: :crazy: If I can make it more controllable maybe I would get down to my time. If you still want to test it (I warn you it's hard) I'll post you

I realized 1'33'054 with my Ford GT40 MARK I '66. But it is still very unstable and difficult to control.:crazy: :crazy: If I can make it more controllable maybe I would get down to my time. If you still want to test it (I warn you it's hard) I'll post you

Remember : Slow in, Fast out. Don't try to go fast as you possibly can, the car is not forgiving. Try to brake and accelerate at the same time when approaching a corner (Might not be easy with Cross/Square, try L2/R2), it will help as the car will stay still instead of doing some sick drift.

Just took out the wing, amazing the understeer this ugly thing managing on the car.... I think i can improve with out wing, after 10 laps i hit the 1.28,5, at +0.6xx of my learderboard time.

who running no wing?

who running body rigidity?

And now for some good news. The drumroll please...... ((((((((DRUMROLL))))))))
Well last night, being a sucker for punishment I decided to give it a go again. After about a thousand tries I finally broke my previous best 1:35something barrier and managed somehow to make a time of 1:32.614 and currently now at the lofty position of 1,397 in the world rankings.

No where close to the under 1:30s superior racers mind you far more the 1:20s aliens but I'm taking it. Doubt very much I could beat that 1:32.614 time without some serious prayers so might settle with that for the while.... that is unless I check my Friends rankings and those who I passed come and try to shame me once again with better times.

Currently having a well deserved rum n' coke to celebrate.

It's not often I get gripped by a TT but I'm loving this one. Proper car and a top tune (muchas gracias, @Doodle 👍). I told myself I'd stop once I'd got under 29 and into the top 100. But you know how it is. After struggling to get a 28.9 the pressure was off and the very next lap I was 3 tenths up. Messed it up obviously, but now I knew I could do it I had to carry on. Finished tonight on 1:28.65, definitely in the land of diminishing returns now though.

And if you are thinking it's a tricky car to drive in the game, check out what it's like in real life...

My first post after following gtplanet since gt5. Not a gt40 time but used the corvette stingray convertible (c3) '69 good enough for 1:39.428

I'm about to use the borderline between cheating and following the black zone into gt6..

I give you a hint of my pig shot

Attachments

• IMG_20161014_203502.jpg
    IMG_20161014_203502.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 135
Ah...Trial Mountain

Really like these powerful old RWD cars on SH tyres, its an absolute headache getting used to the handling at first (especially here), but once you start getting used to it, and you really nail a corner, I find it can be very rewarding. Just managed to get under my target of 1:29.5...

IMG_1033.JPG

Used the great tune from @Doodle except rear ARB at 5, lose a bit or rotation but makes the '40 slightly less happy to wag its tail, which for me is a good thing! Think I could go a little quicker but if I'm honest I doubt could tie it all up in the same lap.

The above puts me currently 3rd in the UK !! (for now) which I can't really believe lol

The above puts me currently 3rd in the UK !! (for now) which I can't really believe lol

You was 3rd in the UK. I'm Digtater, 2 places above you.

My highest ranking with 130th and (mimics Bruce Buffer voice), new 3rd quickest in the UK!:D

(Never thought of seeing leader boards locally instead of globally. It's a nice shot in the arm to see it that way so nice tip. 👍)

I had to tame my heavy right index finger with TC2 on this combo though. I've been up .5 on my ghost going into the left hander after the back straight, goofing on the last section with too many slides and ending up running the same time or a pittance of an improvement lap after lap. I'll have a 38 if I can stop choking on the last damned section.:scared:

I tweaked @Doodle's tune, got within .03 of my current time, and was a bit down on power, needed another oil change. :lol: Changes in bold.

Suspension:
85/90
4.58/6.27
1/2
2/2

7/7
0.0/0.0
0.00/0.08

Brakes 6/5

Transmission:
Set top speed to minimum (124mph)
1st: 4.178
2nd: 2.928
3rd: 2.330
4th: 1.858
5th: 1.500
Final 2.170

LSD: 8/10/20

Power limiter 91.2% (I have oil, I get the feeling Doodle doesn't)
Racing Exhaust
Catalytic Converter
Intake

Full weight reduction including the window
0 ballast
120 downforce

I was just about to give up for now, but upon finding out I was down on power I feel I should at least have one more go.

Edit: 28.032. :grumpy::lol:

Last edited:
Ah...Trial Mountain

Really like these powerful old RWD cars on SH tyres, its an absolute headache getting used to the handling at first (especially here), but once you start getting used to it, and you really nail a corner, I find it can be very rewarding. Just managed to get under my target of 1:29.5...

View attachment 596269

Used the great tune from @Doodle except rear ARB at 5, lose a bit or rotation but makes the '40 slightly less happy to wag its tail, which for me is a good thing! Think I could go a little quicker but if I'm honest I doubt could tie it all up in the same lap.

I saw you suddenly leap ahead of me - well done! I've got three different tunes (including Doodle's), and have run pretty much identical times with all of them.....

It's the first Doodle tune that I've used with which I've actually managed to complete a whole lap - they're usually far too tail happy for me! Don't think I'll be threatening your time though.

I tweaked @Doodle's tune, got within .03 of my current time, and was a bit down on power, needed another oil change. :lol: Changes in bold.

Suspension:
85/90
4.58/6.27
1/2
2/2

7/7
0.0/0.0
0.00/0.08

Brakes 6/5

Transmission:
Set top speed to minimum (124mph)
1st: 4.178
2nd: 2.928
3rd: 2.330
4th: 1.858
5th: 1.500
Final 2.170

LSD: 8/10/20

Power limiter 91.2% (I have oil, I get the feeling Doodle doesn't)
Racing Exhaust
Catalytic Converter
Intake

Full weight reduction including the window
0 ballast
120 downforce

I was just about to give up for now, but upon finding out I was down on power I feel I should at least have one more go.

Edit: 28.032. :grumpy::lol:

I'll give this a shot.

EDIT: How come y'all are saying "120 downforce" when in "Body" settings the Downforce is not selectable to be edited but fixed on Front: 50.... Rear: 100

Last edited:
Rear wing. It gives you another 20. It doesn't settle the car any better for me but it's a handy placebo to help you go quicker.:D

Tree'd

Thanks Stirling and Kilesa. That always had me confused as the Doodle one I was using I can't recall seeing any "Wing" mentioned in parts to add nor in mistersafeway's tuning.

Which "Rear Wing" to choose? A, B, C, D, E, F or what?
An to be sure, it's not the "Custom Rear Wing" but "Rear Wing" right?

What are the specific category parts to choose and specifications?

Last edited:
@davidt33 The only advantage of the custom wing is that you can paint it to match your car if you're into that sort of thing. They all provide the same downforce.

@mistersafeway I tried your changes, just a few laps, and found I could keep up with my ghost from last night, which I'd been struggling to do. Got ahead by a couple of tenths at one point but ended up just two hundredths better. At that point I would have said it was a definite improvement, but when I went back to it later I was nowhere near. Time for a break I reckon. I'll have another go tomorrow. Thanks for sharing and good luck getting into the 27s.

@davidt33 The only advantage of the custom wing is that you can paint it to match your car if you're into that sort of thing. They all provide the same downforce.

@mistersafeway I tried your changes, just a few laps, and found I could keep up with my ghost from last night, which I'd been struggling to do. Got ahead by a couple of tenths at one point but ended up just two hundredths better. At that point I would have said it was a definite improvement, but when I went back to it later I was nowhere near. Time for a break I reckon. I'll have another go tomorrow. Thanks for sharing and good luck getting into the 27s.

Thanks for the additional info @StirlingMoose . Did not know that about the custom wing which you can also paint if wish. Well you live and you learn (Old saying).

I've already made the adjustments (added wing etc) to Doddle's tune (with no oil) which I had before and had gotten me my best time so far. I've also incorporated @mistersafeway's tune to an additional slot
..... and have also purchased a new Ford GT40 Mark I '66 to incorporate mistersafeway's tune "with oil" also.

Now I'm anxious to take them for a spin. Heading out just now and shall do so when I return home in about 1-2 hours.
Cheers all.

Back