550pp Rally Car Super Lap: Chamonix West

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 193 comments
I am so terrible at these snow/dirt rally events. I've run one clean lap for a 2:21.274 (Silver) using the Audi S1 Rally Car. I hate the way my DFGT sounds in these events... I'll probably give it a few more tries over the next few days, but if I don't reach Gold I won't even be disappointed. Just not my thing...

This event seems to install free tyres on your car, which you get to keep.

👍

I also noticed that and started to read this thead in case it was not noticed/mentioned before.

Because the TT states that Spiked Snow tyres or lower grade must be fitted , it is possible to see eligible car list without having Snow tyres fitted on the rally cars. Very clever.

Free Snow tyres , thank you! :D

How many rally cars are there? One can save a couple hundred thousand credits by entering this TT.

I am so terrible at these snow/dirt rally events. I've run one clean lap for a 2:21.274 (Silver) using the Audi S1 Rally Car. I hate the way my DFGT sounds in these events... I'll probably give it a few more tries over the next few days, but if I don't reach Gold I won't even be disappointed. Just not my thing...
Same here I can only get bronze for this one at the moment and I have tried a numbers of times, but getting nowhere, most times when it a snow Time Trial super lap I give it a miss.

I almost just passed on the event altogether. I'll admit that I'm not very good with snow courses. It's not a vanity thing. I always share my times, good or bad, with you guys in these threads. Like you, I just don't care for them. It's the same with the drifting events. I have zero interest in drifting, so I don't even click on the two drifting events every other week. I'm sure I'll probably give this particular one another go soon -- I'm only 1.5s away from Gold.. I should be able to find the time if I actually try. But, if I don't...I really don't care.

I almost just passed on the event altogether. I'll admit that I'm not very good with snow courses. It's not a vanity thing. I always share my times, good or bad, with you guys in these threads. Like you, I just don't care for them. It's the same with the drifting events. I have zero interest in drifting, so I don't even click on the two drifting events every other week. I'm sure I'll probably give this particular one another go soon -- I'm only 1.5s away from Gold.. I should be able to find the time if I actually try. But, if I don't...I really don't care.
I also have zero interest in drifting, because I am not good at it, but I just do the Time Trials that I am good at.

I bought one a few months ago and it's heaps better than the controller,For future reference if anyone is looking to buy a G27 don't buy it through retailers or Logitech,Buy it through these guys and save $240 they're called Logitechshop and they're legit that's who I bought mine from and it only took a few days to deliver.I paid $259.
I bought mine from the electrical retailer JB Hi Fi in Darwin and I paid $238. Usually $299. But that is pick up in the shop, no postage.

Are you sure that's the only reason you keep whips around? :sly: :lol: Nice to see you finally got, and using, yourself a wheel, now you have no excuse. :sly: :lol: :mischievous:

. ;)
Ha ha, was waiting for that. Truth is I bought a dog whip off one of my mates (Mick Denigan, 'Micks Whips') who happens to be the local whip maker and for a few bucks extra he threw in a full size one for old times sake. The dog whip is to put the wind up the dogs when they get a bit too noisy.
And this time next year, 'I'll have no excuse'. I'll be claiming 'inexperience' until then though.

Sorry, didn't realise it was a double post.

Edit...2:11.493 for pos #938. Only 10 seconds behind the leader, ha ha.

Now I'm going to have a look at the top ones and see how they are doing it.

Last edited:

Same here too, snow and dirt are really not my cup of tea. Plus, I never raced on Chamonix so I decided, being stuck to silver, to give me a little hand, something I never allow myself otherwise: put the driving line on. I know, I know... :guilty:

Immediate gold, by half a second only. A bit ashamed then, I put the driving line off and improved my time by a big second. Mission accomplished. I feel that I have room for improvement, but I'm just not interested. :indiff:

Last edited:
Strange track boundaries on this one! You can cut the corner as much as you want, but touch the bank (not barrier) on the other side and it'll be a red lap! Gold with the quattro annivesary edition, no tune, no corner cutting.

Last edited:
I tried the anniversary Quattro and left it stock and managed a second over bronze time. I just bought a Mitsubishi i think it's an Evo X? Is that right? It is the last car in the dealership but i haven't driven it yet. Is that a decent car? And maybe if i turn all aides off it will slide better? I've heard that's the only way to drive a rally car.

Same here too, snow and dirt are really not my cup of tea. Plus, I never raced on Chamonix so I decided, being stuck to silver, to give me a little hand, something I never allow myself otherwise: put the driving line on. I know, I know... :guilty:

Immediate gold, by half a second only. A bit ashamed then, I put the driving line off and improved my time by a big second. Mission accomplished. I feel that I have room for improvement, but I'm just not interested. :indiff:
Ooh! You've just given me an idea... :eek: Where is the Mr. Burns rubbing hands emoticon? Excellent!! :lol:

I tried the anniversary Quattro and left it stock and managed a second over bronze time. I just bought a Mitsubishi i think it's an Evo X? Is that right? It is the last car in the dealership but i haven't driven it yet. Is that a decent car? And maybe if i turn all aides off it will slide better? I've heard that's the only way to drive a rally car.
This might be why I am crap at driving in the snow/dirt... I don't know. Of course I expect quite a bit of sliding, but I prefer to slide as little as possible because I tend to then slide into the side barriers and get DQ'ed. Ugh...Just thinking about it makes my stomach turn. I can't stand it!

Ooh! You've just given me an idea... :eek: Where is the Mr. Burns rubbing hands emoticon? Excellent!! :lol:

This might be why I am crap at driving in the snow/dirt... I don't know. Of course I expect quite a bit of sliding, but I prefer to slide as little as possible because I tend to then slide into the side barriers and get DQ'ed. Ugh...Just thinking about it makes my stomach turn. I can't stand it!
Yeah. I can't really drift at all but on the mission race with the Audi Quattro i turned the aides off so it would slide better and that's what helped me get gold on that one. It seems easier than actual drifting to me.

Quattro, 2:12.77 - more rally please:dopey:. Set center diff to 50/50 and try CargoRatt's soft rear suspension - no other tune needed. Fun stuff!

Last edited:
After 3 laps I've managed a 2:14 with the Quattro. I'm not that good with rallying but I started to enjoy it since GT6. Easy Gold though, so I thought "OK, we're good, maybe I'll try to improve later on". And then I checked the best online time: a freaking 2:00!... Now, I (very) rarely make it to the top 100 online but, I mean, I'm not that bad usually: 14+ secs slower?!?

Then I started watching random replays from the top 100 and noticed that basically everybody was "cheating" and cutting the first, large hairpin (turn 7 or so) and taking a line very close to the fence. Myeah. I'm a bit disgruntled.

After 3 laps I've managed a 2:14 with the Quattro. I'm not that good with rallying but I started to enjoy it since GT6. Easy Gold though, so I thought "OK, we're good, maybe I'll try to improve later on". And then I checked the best online time: a freaking 2:00!... Now, I (very) rarely make it to the top 100 online but, I mean, I'm not that bad usually: 14+ secs slower?!?

Then I started watching random replays from the top 100 and noticed that basically everybody was "cheating" and cutting the first, large hairpin (turn 7 or so) and taking a line very close to the fence. Myeah. I'm a bit disgruntled.

That's what sheep do, one does it and the rest follow. :rolleyes: :lol: There's just no sense of pride and doing the "right" thing. I get the whole wanting to be "up on the leaderboard", but how about showing some pride and dignity by being "up on the leaderboard" by not cutting corners. I wonder who the first person is on the leaderboard who didn't cut any corners because I would like to send him/her a sincere congratulations on a job well done and on not being just another sheep.

Last edited:

I saw that and thought "hmm let's try that." Hit the berm and the car shot straight up in the air - I stuck to the track after that:lol:

Hi all guys I'm a longtime lurker and I was originally brought here thanks to Praiano tunes. I really like the seasonal events and I want to thank a lot of you for all the useful comments and tunes posted in this forum.

I managed a 2:10:982672 (no corner cutting-WHY is it allowed anyway? It spoils the race imo..)on a "stock" Audi quattro S1 Pikes Peak '87 tuned down to 53-54% (not a great choice maybe), but I feel I could cut some more seconds if I only knew something about tuning. Has anyone of you who tried the race with this car any suggestion about a fitting setup?

I already tried the Praiano tune on the Audi quattro S1 rally car but I find it much more difficult to control and a lot less fun to drive than the Pikes Peak version.

MOAR rally events!

Last edited:
I saw that and thought "hmm let's try that." Hit the berm and the car shot straight up in the air - I stuck to the track after that:lol:

Smart thinking.
There's someone out there that could do it faster by not pausing to cut that corner and instead carrying the momentum successfully around the sweeper.

The devs have to figure out everything a human can do to beat the puzzle.
The way the devs can prevent that corner-cutting (Hey! It's a rally after all - whaddya expect? :lol: ) is by an invisible wall, a penalty, or an unexplained slow-down of the car's performance.
At this point they have permitted it; bait.

I'm sure those lines are well-looked at when plotting waypoints.

The devs are probably giggling while crawling back under their desks to get a short night's sleep.

NOW this is funny, but was not yesterday and some minutes ago. I keep myself as average driver and my usual level is 3-5 sec behind the top if i try hard. That is my level and i'm ok with it.
I was excited when i saw this snow rally super lap. Kind of for "finnish drivers". :D
But even I tried it very hard with many different cars and tunes, my best time was 4 seconds behind the SILVER.

I could not understand it. I was so desperate that even tried TC but you know what happened with it.
My car just didn't want to go sideways like rally car should. Also motor sounded felt it has no power and torque was miserable. By now you might already know what was wrong, but I did not, because I never use any driving aids.

Then I suddenly thought to look my own driving from the back view. Car just didn' turn like it should. Not at all.
Then I found it. Bloody ASM was on. No idea how long it has been on and how.
That must also be the reason why my rankings have getting worse lately.
I just thought I haven't driving enough or others are getting better. :)

Thank you for posting this. It may seem obvious to most but it never occurred to me to turn off ASM. Turned my previous best of 2:25.xx to 2:15.x, but more importantly, it turned a dull event into something really enjoyable. Adding it to the list of things I learnt by lurking on the forum.

That's what sheep do, one does it and the rest follow. :rolleyes: :lol: There's just no sense of pride and doing the "right" thing. I get the whole wanting to be "up on the leaderboard", but how about showing some pride and dignity by being "up on the leaderboard" by not cutting corners. I wonder who the first person is on the leaderboard who didn't cut any corners because I would like to send him/her a sincere congratulations on a job well done and on not being just another sheep.

WOW.... "pride and dignity" and "doing the right thing" !? and here I was, thinking that the right thing to do was to get round the track as fast as possible -silly me!

When you first adressed this shortcut-issue, you stated that you "really don't want to go through (that debate) again" -and yet you seem to take any opportunity to comment on it, calling people Monkeys and Sheep and spreading rolleyes-smileys all over -is that proud and dignified?

For the record: I personally have not yet taken the shortcut (I'm starting to loose my appetite for the TT alltogether), but "being up on the leaderboard by not cutting corners"? How d'ya reckon that's going to happen? I'm not disillusioned that a topspot on a virtual-racing-leaderboard is gonna spark fame and fortune. i just like to measure my progression through it -and it isn't such a big issue for me that i have to do 5 secs off the line when there's 2 min's of pleasureable driving also.

Firstly, I didn't know that using an openly usable area of track, which has been perfectly legal since it's inclusion in GT, shows a lack of pride or dignity. It's a track on a game. It's not hacking, it's not cheating, it's not a glitch, it's a piece of usable track. Happens in RX all the time, especially at places like Kouvola.

Secondly, most people seem to be getting the best runs with the Quattro, but I'm still pretty happy with my Evo. There's time left, I'm still trying things with the setup, but I aim to keep it around top 200-ish. Most fun I've had in a TT for a while.

I bought Audi Quattro S1 Rally Car '86
3:d lap i manage 2:11.138 and 1256th in world ranking.
Just lower the car and adjusted Acc sensivity to 29/46.
Directional button and AT mode.
I will increace the time little more a think, missing little on two parts.

Back