77th Le Mans 24 Hours

• Thread starter Clark
  • 839 comments
It used to be that I've started threads on Le Mans. Now, I make my debut in this thread. All I can say is that I'm very interested in who all will win overall and in class. My key storyline is: "third time's a charm?" I like the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP, but in this time of Audi dominance, Peugeot is turning out to be "can't win the big one." They haven't won at Sebring, Petit Le Mans (did they ever race?), or Le Mans. Peugeot has a great car, but they've never been able to win the major endurances (at least the ones I mentioned). Heaven forbid... I greatly respect Audi, but sometimes, I just wish for something different. A Peugeot victory at Le Mans would be their first Le Mans outright win since... 1992 or so. I'd like to see Peugeot win, but Audi's just too doggone tough.

I greatly respect Audi, but sometimes, I just wish for something different... I'd like to see Peugeot win, but Audi's just too doggone tough.
Agreed. 👍 The 908 was actually faster than the R10 last year, as i recall... but Audi has a system that has been refined over the last (isnt it 9? not sure) outright victories at LeMans... and dont forget Audis outstanding lineup of drivers.... the most important factor in any race, especially a race as important as LeMans... Im rooting for the 908's and the new Astons in LMP1, which will be a total wild card.... it shall be verrry interesting 👍

John, Peugeot won in '92 and '93, and swept the podium in '93.

Sorry for making this thread before you, but I'm so excited for what is easily going to be the most exciting Le Mans for ten years.

Well, the GT3 RSR has proved strong in this year's guide. Reading from an interview with Rob Bell he says the Porsches have so much more straightline speed than his Ferrari and technichal changes have made that difference slightly bigger now aswell.

Well, I'm not offended on someone starting a thread I wanted to start before anybody else does. I've always learned: "make the thread before somebody else steals your thunder." But the most important thing is that we have a 2009 thread.

Now since I have broadband, how much coverage I could see will depend on what I see on the Internet or if I'm out with my parents on Saturday or so. Latest forecast here in Houston is for a hot and dry week into this weekend, so I don't think weather will hamper me following as much of this race as I can. I'll surely turn to the Internet once Speed Channel has to allow NASCAR to muscle its way onto the airwaves when a much bigger and much more important race is on the airwaves.

I knew Peugeot won in the '90s at Le Mans... just wasn't sure about what two years they won until the 1992 and 1993 deal were posted. Of course by that time, Audi wasn't even in the big league sportscar racing ranks. They wouldn't make a serious car until 1999 with the Audi R8R and Audi R8C. We all know what the R8 LMP car was capable of. And I'm sure the R8C evolved into the Bentley EXP Speed 8, then the eventual Le Mans-winning Bentley EXP GT. I think Peugeot has a solid racing machine, but just can't stop Audi. And as I mentioned having respect for Audi and for the drivers, I'm even reminded of Mr. Tom Kristensen, who is one of my motorsports heroes.

Good luck to all teams from all over the world at this year's race.

It is only advertised as a 22 hour broadcast (10:20pm Sat-8:30pm Sun). What's up with that?

Also, I would have to pick the French for LMP1, the Germans for LMP2, the Italians for LMGT1, and the Aston for LMGT2. On the topic of news, doesn't Audi have a new rear wing for Le Mans?

Going by my TV guide, it's all broken up, so they'll show the start, skip a couple hours through the middle and show the end. It really ticks me off all the good motorsport is on in the early hours of the morning on One HD and nothing but crap is on through the day most of the time.:dunce:

Going by my TV guide, it's all broken up, so they'll show the start, skip a couple hours through the middle and show the end. It really ticks me off all the good motorsport is on in the early hours of the morning on One HD and nothing but crap is on through the day most of the time.:dunce:

Whoever heard of slamball? Bloody fun, but unknown.

Based on time difference, when does the race actually start here?

You mean our TV coverage or the actual race? I don't know, but tele time for Eastern Australians is 23:00 Saturday night.

Ohhhhhh I love that! It's like people got together and said "How can we make Basketball more interesting?"...."I know! lets put 4 trampolines at each end under the nets"...."Good idea!"

The race should start at...maybe 9 at the latest

The race is a 13:00BST Waggles, which is 14:00GMT. You'll have to work it out for yourself from that.

The race is a 13:00BST Waggles, which is 14:00GMT. You'll have to work it out for yourself from that.

Is BST British Summer Time? Wouldn't that make it 12:00 GMT, which is 22:00 for Eastern Australians?

BST is British Summer Time, which is an hour behind GMT.

BST is British Summer Time, which is an hour behind GMT.

Why would they put the clocks back an hour? That would give you less daylight in the normal day, that's not how it's supposed to work.:odd:

The day's are much lighter in the Summer anyway, it's so when there's more daylight during winter.

BST (British Summer Time) is one hour ahead of GMT.

The race starts at 15:00 local time, which is 14:00 BST, 13:00 GMT and 23:00 in Queensland, Sydney and Melbourne.

Sorry, I'v been mixing up Local and GMT by mistake.

I'm currently half way through a Le Mans documentary thats being played every now and then on Motors TV currently (it was made in in 2007 before that year's Le Mans, though), it's very interesting and has some very good footage of all cars from all eras including some onboard Sauber C9 footage I've never seen. It's called 'Le Mans: A Century Of Passion'

And just to get people even more in the mood, here's the best intro to a game ever.

Last edited:
MTC
BST (British Summer Time) is one hour ahead of GMT.

The race starts at 15:00 local time, which is 14:00 BST, 13:00 GMT and 23:00 in Queensland, Sydney and Melbourne.

That sounds better, although now I don't understand local time, does UK have 2 time zones? Anyway, looks like Aussies are getting the race live.:)

That sounds better, although now I don't understand local time, does UK have 2 time zones? Anyway, looks like Aussies are getting the race live.:)

I thought I explained before. :confused: Anyway i'll try again. ;) The UK has one time zone GMT, however during the summer months we switch to BST which is GMT+1, therefore our clocks are only set to our actual time zone for about half the year, the other half we are GMT+1.

I thought I explained before. :confused: Anyway i'll try again. ;) The UK has one time zone GMT, however during the summer months we switch to BST which is GMT+1, therefore our clocks are only set to our actual time zone for about half the year, the other half we are GMT+1.

He said "local time" is one hour ahead of BST though.:odd: I understand BST and what you're saying fully, but what's "local time"? Is that when it starts in France?

Yes I would assume so, I think by local he means France, France and most of Mainland Europe are 1 hour ahead of us all year round, they change their clocks too. I hope I get to catch some of Le Mans I usually do, it depends what I am doing or if there is anything better on. I wonder what channel are showing it, I will have to find out.

Can't wait for le mans this weekend :D Very happy that its being shown here in aus. Last year I streamed the whole race online and my internet usage shot up massively :P From what I've seen the schedule for victoria is:

10:30pm - 2am
6:30am - 10:30am
8:30pm - 11:10pm

So over 10hrs of coverage I think, which is great. The rest I'll just watch online.

The P1 class should be a great battle. I'll be going for audi or aston martin.

Yes I would assume so, I think by local he means France, France and most of Mainland Europe are 1 hour ahead of us all year round, they change their clocks too.
Yes, by local time I meant French time. Local time generally means the time in the area the event is held. I assumed that is something that everyone understands.

Is the race covered via internet live stream?

I'm unsure whether I'll be able to catch the race on TV, so the internet would be my best bet to follow the race 👍

Metar, do you know if german Eurosport channels broadcast Le Mans? I know you watch RTL, but I don't know if you watch german Eurosport. Hearing some germans talking for hours is too much to take for me, I really want those MotorsTV guys to watch like last year. But if I haven't got a choice, so be it.

Back