77th Le Mans 24 Hours

• Thread starter Clark
  • 839 comments
Wow, I'm quite surprised and happy to see the Astons running so close to the Peugeot and Audi cars đź‘Ť

*EDIT*

Sarrazin for pole? The guy is flying around the damn track, if only Kristensen would be so kind to show what an experienced driver he is by moving out of the way by, what was clearly, the faster Peugeot.

Yes, that move was completely uncalled for. They don't care about quali, I beg to differ now :sly:

The "main" Peugeot ahead of the "main" Audi, the secondary 908s ahead of the secondary R15s now. Order has been restored. :P

So, looks like Sarrazin's got pole :) Followed by Audi No 2, Peugeot, Pesca Peugeot, the rest of the Audi's and Aston Martin's. Strakka 11th. Good effort from the Lola Aston Martin & Strakka Ginetta teams.

Have to say the on-board shots from the Peugeot look awesome, the speed is incredible!!!

If you squint your eyes, you can almost see the GT5 logo in the bottom righthand corner, well in my head you can!!

Have to say the on-board shots from the Peugeot look awesome, the speed is incredible!!!

If you squint your eyes, you can almost see the GT5 logo in the bottom righthand corner, well in my head you can!!

Only on the Pescarolo ;)

Was it GT5 or was it the normal Gran Turismo logo? I thought it was the normal one?

It was just the normal logo, i think, to be honest it was a little tounge in cheek.Dont think the Pescarolo 908 looks as good as the factory cars, the livery is a wee bit plain,just not as good as some of the Pescarolos in the past.

Good news though, we are getting new flooring done on saturday, im off work and my wife is taken the kids out for the day!!!! Should get to see the start and a good few hours live.

Should be interesting to see if Audi can pull something out of the bag, like Sebring or will Peogeot take the title?

I hope this year's low number of cars is just a temporary dip caused by the crisis everybody likes to think we're in, and that next year will show more varieties of entries such as R8's in GT1.

Surprised that Eurosport 1 will cover so much of the race this year, so I didn't have to spend extra $$$ in the cable for enough coverage. My family won't like me for watching so much telly this weekend :cool:

This will be the last Le Mans 24 Hours for the GT1 as we currently know if. Modified GT2 cars will be GT1 next year, and modified GT3 cars will become GT2 from 2010 onwards if I remember correctly.

Hey guys, can anyone be a good Pal' of myin and PM me details on how I can watch this race on TV? I have Direct TV, im sure one of my 1847012740 stations air's this? And when it actually starts? I've never seen a Le Mans race, and Im due for it!

I hope this year's low number of cars is just a temporary dip caused by the crisis everybody likes to think we're in, and that next year will show more varieties of entries such as R8's in GT1.

Surprised that Eurosport 1 will cover so much of the race this year, so I didn't have to spend extra $$$ in the cable for enough coverage. My family won't like me for watching so much telly this weekend :cool:

There won't be any R8's as there is no R8 GT1 car in existence.

Hey guys, can anyone be a good Pal' of myin and PM me details on how I can watch this race on TV? I have Direct TV, im sure one of my 1847012740 stations air's this? And when it actually starts? I've never seen a Le Mans race, and Im due for it!

SpeedTV will show coverage for 17 hours of the 24 hours race this year. Find out what channel SpeedTV is on.

This will be the last Le Mans 24 Hours for the GT1 as we currently know if. Modified GT2 cars will be GT1 next year, and modified GT3 cars will become GT2 from 2010 onwards if I remember correctly.

Your right, it is. It will be sad seeing those thunderous Vettes & R-GT's for the last time, GT1 was a great class.

He's not right. Next years GT1 cars will be the new 2010 spec GT1 cars currently running in Fia GT.

He's not right. Next years GT1 cars will be the new 2010 spec GT1 cars currently running in Fia GT.

Oh yeah, I forgot. So it'll only be FIA GT teams that can apply? I've heard that the LMP1 cars will have reduced capacity engines, NA & diesel will have a limit of 3.4 litres and turbocharged petrols to be limited at 2 litres for 2010. For 2011, LMP1 cars will be limited to 520hp & LMP2, 420hp.

No but at the moment only two different 2010 GT1 cars have been built: The Nissan GT-R LM and the Matech Ford GT1.

Are there any Supra's left? It would make my day if the SuperGT championship GT500 class could enter the race and added the Le Mans 24 hour race as an event in its own calendar.

You can cleary see the direction the manufacturers took in terms of design after the chicanes were build. Probably most noticeable is the difference of speed these cars turned into the Indianapolis corner compared to todays cars. The difference in cornering speed is tremendous, but once that Porsche unleased all its power onto the Hunaudieres, good lord!

Top speed on the Mulsanne this year

211.8/340.86 by the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP
209.0/336.35 by the Aston Martin Lola AMR01
205.0/329.92 by the Audi R15 TDI

Were they actually from the Mulsanne? As they don't usually reach those speeds apart from on the run don't Indianapolis.

Interesting comparisons here from 1961 to 1990.
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/maxspeed.htm

The Welter Racing Peugeot 88 was designed specifically to break 400km/h on the Mulsanne and was named 'Project 400'. They taped over the ducts, and Micheling supplied them with narrow low drag tires for the car and Roger Dorchy drove it up to 252.9mph (407km/h) in 1988. The engine blew after 59 laps.

I believe the fastest time ever recorded by the ACO was 255mph in practice, 1989, set by the Sauber Mercedes C9 with Kenneth Acheson at the wheel, at least according to the book "Sauber-Mercedes C9: The Return of the Silver Arrows", written by Iam Bamsey, which I have. I'm not sure about the validity of his statement though, I'll get a screenshot uploaded later.

I think the class victors will be

LMP1- Audi Sport, lets see if Tom Kristensen can get him another one
LMP2- either of the 2 Porsches
GT1- Corvette Racing, no doubt
GT2- any of the Porsches, probably Flying Lizard or IMSA Performance

The Sauber C9 'only' got up to 248mph, but this being only a year after the WM Peugeot (which still has the speed record to date) caused the introduction of the chicanes on the Mulsanne.

GTP Le Mans Club here

The Sauber C9 'only' got up to 248mph, but this being only a year after the WM Peugeot (which still has the speed record to date) caused the introduction of the chicanes on the Mulsanne.

GTP Le Mans Club here

Can I join? :) BTW, when I meant fastest speed, I meant everything, including, practice and qualifying. Shall I upload the images? The WM had set the record during the race.

I meant the fastest speed to ever be reached on the circuit, nothing has gone faster than the WM Pug; in race, practice, quali or anything.

And you don't have to ask join, nobody does.

Ok thanks, it says otherwise in the book, but I don't want to start a pointless arguement. :)

It's a book about Mercs, it's bound to be conviently wrong to make it seem like it was faster.

I believe the fastest time ever recorded by the ACO was 255mph in practice, 1989, set by the Sauber Mercedes C9 with Kenneth Acheson at the wheel, at least according to the book "Sauber-Mercedes C9: The Return of the Silver Arrows", written by Iam Bamsey, which I have. I'm not sure about the validity of his statement though, I'll get a screenshot uploaded later.

According to www.lemans.org, the fastest time ever set on the La Sarthe track was a speed of 405 km/h set by the Peugeot 405 in 1972.

Also, I think the Peugeot an/or Audi hit a topspeed above the earlier posted 340 km/h. During practice on Thursday, the fastest speed according the commentator Martin Haven, one of the LMP1 cars hit a topspeed of 348 km/h.

Back