90th Anniversary Running Of The Le Mans 24 Hours, 22-23 June 2013.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 4,428 comments
I have not felt as emotional at the end of a race in a long time, if ever. Last time I saw a fatal crash live was Henry Surtees in Brand Hatch F2. It bites every time, my heart sunk on that podium.

Congrats to everyone who finished, Vipers, OAK cars, Toyota, Aston, Audi, the GT Academy boys... everyone. It's been great covering the 90th Anniversary of Le Mans, great community here, thank you all, i'll be back next year, but i'll sign off with a tribute made by GTP's very own RACECAR.

AllanSimonsenTributeBadge.png

RIP Allan Simonsen.​

R.I.P Allan Simonsen :(. I heard that was the first death in Le Mans since 1987

Other than that, good race and effort to all participants. Great result for Ordonez, Mardenborough and Krumm with 4th in LMP2, although they didn't get a podium, finishing the 24 hours is a big achievement in itself :)

I have not felt as emotional at the end of a race in a long time, if ever. Last time I saw a fatal crash live was Henry Surtees in Brand Hatch F2. It bites every time, my heart sunk on that podium.

Congrats to everyone who finished, Vipers, OAK cars, Toyota, Aston, Audi, the GT Academy boys... everyone. It's been great covering the 90th Anniversary of Le Mans, great community here, thank you all, i'll be back next year, but i'll sign off with a tribute made by GTP's very own RACECAR.

RIP Allan Simonsen.​

Here here.

RIP Allan Simonsen.​
Honorable of you, Furinkazen and RACECAR (logo creator). 👍
and that all the tension and rivalry were discarded in honor of a great man 👍
Most definitely. Glad they did not let rivalry get in the way of that. 👍

these days i only come to GTP during the 24h Le Mans :gtpflag:

Same here :lol:, Le Mans and GT6 announcements.

This reminds me however of the great community here :gtpflag:.

By the way: What's the name of that song in the video Eurosport UK is closing with? :drool:

RIP Allan Simonsen.​

👍

Ok, didn't keep up with it as much as I wanted.

Well it was a race for me, craziest I've seen for a long time. It had unpredictable weather, lots more safety cars then we ever want and some huge battles. Unfortunately it also had tragedy, something I was hoping not to see having already heard of one the week before. As usual, I've enjoyed it with you guys.

See you guys for, Spa I think and Bring on 2014 👍

Well, this race was hard to watch after the first stint.
But, they put on a hell of a race, despite being tarnished by crazy weather and safety cars (a bit like the 'Ring this year).
Listening to the RLM crew all choking up when talking about this race and why they do it spoke loudly to me. I enjoyed following this race, but instead of feeling sad for the fact the race is over, I feel sad because of what surrounds it.
This was an awesome race, blackened by the death of a driver.

Despite this, I loved watching this race.
Why they do it and why we love watching it we may never truly be able to explain, it may truly never make sense. All we know is it's fun and we'd have it no other way.

RIP Allan Simonsen.

Same here :lol:, Le Mans and GT6 announcements.

This reminds me however of the great community here :gtpflag:.

By the way: What's the name of that song in the video Eurosport UK is closing with? :drool:

I agree so much, I doubt there's a nicer community than GTP on the whole Internet. :gtplanet:

RIP Allan Simonsen.​

Respect. 👍 :gtplanet:

Well GTPlanet..again, it was a great race to watch with you guys. I'll definitely be on GTPlanet during future events and definitely Le Mans 2014. But for now I have to rest, I have deprived myself of sleep for long enough. :D

Until next time. :gtpflag: 👍

Well missed the last 30 minutes due to going out...

So, who won the Le Mans 2013 Safety Car edition??? Probably the Audi...

Good race though i don't want to see those red Audis ever again. I hope that Toyota is closer next year and that Porsche gets up to speed quickly.

A little time to reflect has made me well up.

Honestly; between the battles of the GTE cars and rooting for Toyota; it never sunk in. That was the first fatal crash I'd witnessed first hand.

I respect the drivers for showing respect to Allan and wish his family, friends and colleagues all the best; my kindest thoughts are with them. It is a shocking thing to happen, especially in the modern day. Goodbye to Allan Simoncen. And goodbye to the Le Mans circus.

Until next year, I may be in the stands :)

RIP Allan Simonsen.​

I said some hours ago that I wouldn't further discuss Simonsen's passing away but the image you posted and a question someone posted here reminded me of a sublime verse. When asked what's the sense behind all this motorsport madness, there's one answer I can think off different than the "McQueen approach", and it's the Lord Tennyson approach:

How can we prove or explain our passion for motor-racing?

"For nothing worthy of being proven can be proven,
not yet disproven: wherefore thou be wise,
Cleave ever to the sunnier side of doubt,
and cling to Faith beyond the forms of Faith!"

Don't want to sound overly cheesy or anything, just my honest feeling about the matter.

Thanks again to you all for the race coverage, discussion and the company. Hopefully we'll be all together again next year :gtpflag:.

Well missed the last 30 minutes due to going out...

So, who won the Le Mans 2013 Safety Car edition??? Probably the Audi...

The safety car is an Audi anyway, everyone knows that it's the safety car that wins races, not the race cars themselves :P

ah well, LM24H2013 has been a rough ride. It's been fun with you guys. On to 2014!

I think this picture sums up what has happened the past couple of days:

s1_1.jpg

RIP Allan Simonsen and congratulations to Audi for the win.

Latest Posts

Back