90th Anniversary Running Of The Le Mans 24 Hours, 22-23 June 2013.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 4,428 comments
I have not felt as emotional at the end of a race in a long time, if ever. Last time I saw a fatal crash live was Henry Surtees in Brand Hatch F2. It bites every time, my heart sunk on that podium.

Congrats to everyone who finished, Vipers, OAK cars, Toyota, Aston, Audi, the GT Academy boys... everyone. It's been great covering the 90th Anniversary of Le Mans, great community here, thank you all, i'll be back next year, but i'll sign off with a tribute made by GTP's very own RACECAR.

AllanSimonsenTributeBadge.png

RIP Allan Simonsen.​

Thoughts of Henry Surtees were evoked by the crash, as were thoughts of Dan Wheldon and Dale Earnhardt, Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna, and of course Sebastien Enjolras and Jo Gartner.

We should feel fortunate that there have been relatively few fatal accidents in recent years, and we should strive to avoid such similar tragedies in future. But for now all we can do is mourn the driver who has passed this weekend, and share our condolences with their family and friends.

Well, Audi can be beaten, but just not enough.. Congratulations to them, well done to Toyota and a bit gutted for the Astons though. They all did their best!

Not the best race ever to remember, but surely a dramatic one.

Audi really had to fight for this one. The Toyota's put forth an amazing effort for just their second year and they showed that they can bleed. As for Corvette Racing well they're going to have to deal with a very competitive field and won't get their wins by default anymore. As tired as I am of seeing Audi win, 2014 will be a year to watch for me as Nissan's garage 56 should be interesting to see (even if its looks are umm...controversial), the Stringray 'vette in racing format...gives me goosebumps just thinking about it, and last but not least a very genuine effort from one the best names in the business (Porsche) taking a shot at the overall title (assuming they do not have a "gentlemen's agreement" with Audi. On a less interesting note (to most) I hope to see BMW get an invite and run the Z4 GTE. Until next year guys!

legacyMACHINE
I found it really nice how the 3 podium spots were all united by one thing.

It's sad that it was by death :(

Yep. All the action, tension and tragedy brings many men of all walks of life together. But this one was sad race for everyone, especially for Tom.

After seeing him driving the R18 during the final minutes and after the race made me cry a little.

JSilvaGT
24h du mans 2013: safety car edition! Lol.

:lol:👍

Well, dispite of the bad things of this year of LeMans, it was a great race to hang out with fellow LeMans and racing fans on GTP. See you guys later.

Congrats Audi, Toyota, GT Academy, C6 ZR1 R, SRT GTS-R, Astons, 911 991 RSRs and eveybody else. Keep kicking butt in the WEC and for next year at LeMans! 👍

On a less interesting note (to most) I hope to see BMW get an invite and run the Z4 GTE. Until next year guys!

I'm also looking forward to see the Z4 GTE getting invited but before that, they better sort out the top-speed issue that they're currently having in ALMS..

Off topic but an irony when one mentions Wheldon. Yesterday would have been Dan's birthday.

Yeah, I noticed that too yesterday. What a coincident!

I feel it was an atrocious race, frankly. Complete mismanagement by the racing stewards from the run up to the race to the finish, and marred by a death in addition. The first year that I slept through the ending not because I was particularly tired and fell asleep, but because I couldn't stand watching it any longer.

Congratulations to the winners, though also I feel saddened that they will have this haunting them as well.

It's a shame the LMP1-race isn't very interesting. If there would be three extra real competitive teams, this race would be a lot better.

A race with LMP1 cars and the excitement and competition of the GT categories would be ideal.

It's a shame the LMP1-race isn't very interesting. If there would be three extra real competitive teams, this race would be a lot better.

A race with LMP1 cars and the excitement and competition of the GT categories would be ideal.

IMO the grid needs to be bigger full-stop, I know it's a much smaller track and and they do have the prototype category, but for me, Le Mans isn't really a patch on the N24 for me.

Porsche could make its way next year, don't worry mate. Sooner or later LMP1 will be exciting and as what Dr. Ullrich said after the race, next year will see much bigger challenge from Toyota and the new Porsche 👍

Remember, Porsche are returning next year... :)

Btw next year's garage 56 entrant will be interesting; The ZEOD-essentially a Nissan DeltaWing coupe (with some aerodynamic modifications) with the Lithium-ion batteries from a Nissan Leaf.
Can't wait... :sly:

I'm really glad of the Russian G-Drive Racing team taking 3rd place in LMP2. It's the first podium finish of a Russian team in Le Mans.
But the flag was placed upside down again. :D
Zwbmv21q-UU.jpg

Roman Rusinov's performance was great, he once set a best lap time in LMP2 (which was beaten later though, as I see). Congrats!

Last edited:
The GTE class needs more competition from different teams and different cars, notably from big and known teams like BMW etc.. In my opinion, the GTE class in the race was nothing interesting until the action between the Porsche and Aston. Other than that, felt pretty dead.

Well done Audi. I don't like them but they earned the win.

Hopefully Toyota can be much more competitive in the remaining WEC events.

The GTE class needs more competition from different teams and different cars, notably from big and known teams like BMW etc.. In my opinion, the GTE class in the race was nothing interesting until the action between the Porsche and Aston. Other than that, felt pretty dead.

BOP meant it wasn't a better competition. I'd like to see BMW back at Le Mans, but honestly, if the race was like it was this weekend, I'd only be happy to see them in P1 class. The GT2 effort from 2011 wasn't astonishing, with 1 DNF and two of my favourite drivers only able to get on the 3rd step of the GTE-Pro Podium!

BOP meant it wasn't a better competition. I'd like to see BMW back at Le Mans, but honestly, if the race was like it was this weekend, I'd only be happy to see them in P1 class. The GT2 effort from 2011 wasn't astonishing, with 1 DNF and two of my favourite drivers only able to get on the 3rd step of the GTE-Pro Podium!

Thought so, now.. I don't think BMW will be planning to have a go on LMP1 project, as mentioned after their exit from F1 that they will only do discipline based on their production cars. Otherwise, I think we won't be seeing BMW in Le Mans for some time to come.

GTE? Set one weight limit for all, one fuel tank size for all and a limited number of refueling opportunities and let them do what they can inside that.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to return LMP2 to its 675 original weight, then they can give LMP1 a run for its money every now and then.

Really though.Who thought the Porsches would get a 1-2. WooHoo!

Is that Simonsen tribute pic available in avatar form?

Great race, really glad to see Mcnish, Duvall, and TK win. GTE Pro needed more coverage, sadly the Corvettes were well off pace, but Porsche winning made up for that, Aston might have been nice too. Obviously all of this was over shadowed by Allan's death, so I just want to leave a parting message with RIP Allan and Godspeed.

Really though.Who thought the Porsches would get a 1-2. WooHoo!

Is that Simonsen tribute pic available in avatar form?

Save it to your computer and then use the browse feature, that way the image is automatically re-sized. 👍

Not the greatest race: too many long safety car periods and unfavourable BOP for the Corvettes, Ferraris and Vipers, it was nice to see TK get his 9th win and Porsche taking GT honours but all of it is marred by the death of Allan Simonsen (R.I.P.).

I'm really glad of the Russian G-Drive Racing team taking 3rd place in LMP2. It's the first podium finish of a Russian team in Le Mans.

Lets gloss over the fact that it was a British Alan Docking Racing car :lol:

That car was the one I wanted to win in LMP2 because of Mike Conway, I've been following his career since British F3. Rusinov is one of the quickest amateur drivers along with Heinemeier Hansson.

Why are people happy audisport won? Theyve won every year from 2000 except 03 and to Peugeot (2010?). I'm getting tired of it.

Why are people happy audisport won? Theyve won every year from 2000 except 03 and to Peugeot (2010?). I'm getting tired of it.

I'm pretty some of us are tired, very tired in fact seeing the Audi winning every single year and that includes me. However, it doesn't take away the fact that they worked for it, they showed their effort to win the race and I'm happy for them. At least they're not winning it for free. Toyota did put some pressure on them throughout the race...

Wasn't that great of a race in my opinion, good job to Audi, Oak Racing, Porsche in GTE and Am. However, the action for the wins weren't there and in GTE the only people giving each other trouble were the Aston vs Porsche for a time. Furthermore, with misplacement of the SC during the multiple yellow flags and splitting the GTE field and never bring the field back together I don't know how anyone can't see this effecting the race in the long term.

Was this the first year that they're using the 2 to 3 splitted safety car? It was horrible, absolutely horrible..

No been used before, they should just have two really. 1 at start line, another at end of Mulsanne.

Latest Posts

Back