90th Anniversary Running Of The Le Mans 24 Hours, 22-23 June 2013.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 4,428 comments
No been used before, they should just have two really. 1 at start line, another at end of Mulsanne.

Oh, I didn't catch that before this.. But anyhow, it's no fun when the cars on the other safety car can't join the other pack on the other side of the track. Kinda ruined the race, in my opinion.

I'm pretty some of us are tired, very tired in fact seeing the Audi winning every single year and that includes me. However, it doesn't take away the fact that they worked for it, they showed their effort to win the race and I'm happy for them. At least they're not winning it for free. Toyota did put some pressure on them throughout the race...

Not too difficult when you have 3 cars in LMP1, it's always their race to lose on sheer numbers alone.

Not too difficult when you have 3 cars in LMP1, it's always their race to lose on sheer numbers alone.

But at least this year is better than last year when they had 4 cars! I think next year will be the year where things might change... I don't expect Porsche to be right on top but Toyota I think will be much more prepared. Roll on 2014!

But at least this year is better than last year when they had 4 cars! I think next year will be the year where things might change... I don't expect Porsche to be right on top but Toyota I think will be much more prepared. Roll on 2014!

I'm thinking that Porsche will put up a good fight. They have the best driver line up out there and Romain Dumas will be driving for them. I'm thinking one of each car will be on the podium.

I'm thinking that Porsche will put up a good fight. They have the best driver line up out there and Romain Dumas will be driving for them. I'm thinking one of each car will be on the podium.

One good news from Porsche is that the development of their car has been well on the way. They pretty much still have a year to go and develop the car more... They will definitely put up a good fight but I'm not expecting them to be on the top straight out of the box. A podium is possible!

I guess so. But if the car would be Russian, I bet it wouldn't even finish. :D
But they wanted to compete as a Russian team, and compete good. And finally, they have managed to lift the Russian flag above the Le Mans podium. :)

Thursday7
Why are people happy audisport won? Theyve won every year from 2000 except 03 and to Peugeot (2010?). I'm getting tired of it.

I love when they win because of how many people it annoys :P. The safety car procedure was terrible though, hope they fix it for next year..

I must be the only Toyota fan in here who thinks Audi thoroughly deserved the win?

Am I tired of seeing Audi win? Well, yeah, perhaps. But Audi had by far the better car. And let's be brutally honest here, there hasn't been one indication since the TS030 was unveiled that would have proven the TS030 to be on par with the R18. Audi just seemed way more prepared than Toyota was.

If balance is to take place, then I'm just wondering why Toyota did not deploy 3 cars, or why Audi wasn't limited to running 2 cars. Toyota could've run 3 cars, and have one of them go for a 10-lap stint strategy like the Audis and run a much more aggressive pace-wise strategy. Instead Toyota seem to have opted for the option fuel-saving mode, and beating Audi with sub-par cars. Well, against Audi that is never going to happen.

As for next year, we will see what happens. Everyone seems to have an impression that Porsche might be able to win this from the start, but the fact remains that Porsche hasn't been at Le Mans with a GT-prototype car since 1998. They do seem to be preparing well in time, we'll just see what they will be able to bring to Le Mans next year. All I am hoping for is that all 3 manufacturers start the race with an equal amount of cars. Before this happens, the discussion of balancing petrol and diesel cars cannot take place.

Does anyone have any links to web pages with HD wallpapers from this year's Le Mans? Would be much appreciated.

Try Speedhunters. They'll get around to it eventually.

Cheers mate. :cheers:

Any other suggestions are welcome too guys! I haven't had much luck with finding good quality photo's from previous Le Mans.

Last edited:
I must be the only Toyota fan in here who thinks Audi thoroughly deserved the win?

Am I tired of seeing Audi win? Well, yeah, perhaps. But Audi had by far the better car. And let's be brutally honest here, there hasn't been one indication since the TS030 was unveiled that would have proven the TS030 to be on par with the R18. Audi just seemed way more prepared than Toyota was.

If balance is to take place, then I'm just wondering why Toyota did not deploy 3 cars, or why Audi wasn't limited to running 2 cars. Toyota could've run 3 cars, and have one of them go for a 10-lap stint strategy like the Audis and run a much more aggressive pace-wise strategy. Instead Toyota seem to have opted for the option fuel-saving mode, and beating Audi with sub-par cars. Well, against Audi that is never going to happen.

As for next year, we will see what happens. Everyone seems to have an impression that Porsche might be able to win this from the start, but the fact remains that Porsche hasn't been at Le Mans with a GT-prototype car since 1998. They do seem to be preparing well in time, we'll just see what they will be able to bring to Le Mans next year. All I am hoping for is that all 3 manufacturers start the race with an equal amount of cars. Before this happens, the discussion of balancing petrol and diesel cars cannot take place.
I dont agree with that. Good for Audi. They won. But it came down really close. They're best lap was around 3 seconds faster than Toyota's. But they also did only 10 lap stints while Toyota did 11 and 12. Petrol just cant compete with diesel in terms of power. It used to be petrol had 85 liters per tank and allowed bigger engines or turbos. But you see how the rules have evolved. The 15kg weight increase for hybrid cars took a toll this year.

I really think running for 6+ hours under caution hurt Toyotas chances big time. That negated the longer stint advantage. Tradgedy hit the track as well. It wasn't a LeMans to look good on imo. Next year will be different, Toyota are said to run hybrid power on both front and rear axle's. And more power for hybrids will play into more development.

I really think running for 6+ hours under caution hurt Toyotas chances big time

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is if it had been dry weather for the full 24 hours, then we'd have seen an Audi 1-2, putting both Toyota's on multiple laps each.

Toyota never stood a chance, and ultimately had to rely on the bad weather or safety car periods to try and gain time where possible. But the #8 only finished 1 lap behind, and I'm very pleased with that.

I'm happy Audi won, sad it wasn't that close between Audia and Toyota but Audi had the better car and deserved to win (You might say Toyota got robbed but that what happens in racing, so just admit defeat because they have another shot next year) 👍.

Next year; I don't know who'll I root for out of Porsche and Audi but I'll be taking all 3 manufacturers seriously now since Toyota will likely improve and Porsche don't look like they want to play, they look like they want to destroy Audi ;).

But wasn't the 4th Audi run by the American Audi Team; Audi Sport North America.

But wasn't the 4th Audi run by the American Audi Team; Audi Sport North America.

Yup, but they used the exact same car as one of the Joest team which was the R18 Ultra and they also worked under one roof, as in they get support from Joest and pretty much worked together on the track if I remember correctly.

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is if it had been dry weather for the full 24 hours, then we'd have seen an Audi 1-2, putting both Toyota's on multiple laps each.

Toyota never stood a chance, and ultimately had to rely on the bad weather or safety car periods to try and gain time where possible. But the #8 only finished 1 lap behind, and I'm very pleased with that.

Thats why they set the car up for the race. Because there was rain forecast 💡 I dont see the if's. They knew the rain would be a factor in the race. Audi did too. The safety car periods basically reset Audi's speed advantage. A record number of safety car periods. 6+ hours behind it. It would have taken around 6 or 7 hours for Toyota to gain that lap from going further. But you negate that with safety cars. Audi could save fuel easier and hold the lead because they didnt need to pit. There was a few times they only did 9 laps per stint. No reason to argue, but no team deserves a win. They earn it.

Yup, but they used the exact same car as one of the Joest team which was the R18 Ultra and they also worked under one roof, as in they get support from Joest and pretty much worked together on the track if I remember correctly.

I assume they were 100% Joest but running under different names like Peugeot's teams (Peugeot Sport Total and Team Peugeot Total), might be related to teams only being eligible for x automatic invites to Le Mans.

I assume they were 100% Joest but running under different names like Peugeot's teams (Peugeot Sport Total and Team Peugeot Total), might be related to teams only being eligible for x automatic invites to Le Mans.

If that was the case why was did the No.4 car team was called Audi Sport North America last year when it didn't get invited or didn't compete 2 years ago apart from 2011 Le Mans when it didn't even win.

Is it me or did this 24 Hours of Le Mans feel like the 72 Hours of Le Mans? This was so emotionally draining, first and foremost with the passing of Allan Simonsen. We never saw what caused the crash in the US, but something structural about that car wasn't right. Regardless, kudos to Aston Martin for pushing onward at his family's request. Then there was the weather, constantly changing throughout the whole race. It seemed like as soon as they put on one set of tires, they needed to go back to the other! Congratulations to Audi for their overall win, and how about that 42 in LMP2?

If that was the case why was did the No.4 car team was called Audi Sport North America last year when it didn't get invited or didn't compete 2 years ago apart from 2011 Le Mans when it didn't even win.

I have no idea, I couldn't think of any other possible explanation. AF Corse and Aston Martin Racing both entered 5 cars under one name this year too so I'm stumped.

I have no idea, I couldn't think of any other possible explanation. AF Corse and Aston Martin Racing both entered 5 cars under one name this year too so I'm stumped.

Same tbh, especially when Audi Sport Team Joest competed in 12 hours of Sebring not Audi Sport North America (If they are different) :/

Back