A Dynamic Look at GT Sport's Time of Day Settings

Very beautiful. Are these all the included times of day, or is there more? Is there weather and night too? I know I've read an article about heavy fog in Nurburgring. Also is it possible to combine time of day with weather?

I'm seriously planning to skip Forza Motorsport 7 for Gran Turismo Sport's non-Sport modes.

Very beautiful. Are these all the included times of day, or is there more? Is there weather and night too? I know I've read an article about heavy fog in Nurburgring. Also is it possible to combine time of day with weather?

I'm seriously planning to skip Forza Motorsport 7 for Gran Turismo Sport's non-Sport modes.
Nope they miss times of day on this video, look at the Nurburgring, Northern Isle or Tokyo, no night.
We don't know yet about the weather setting :)
Have to wait surely at TGS in 1 month.

Of course. Both would be great. But I can't think of any other good reason as why dynamic time isn't in the game. Maybe it has something to do with the lighting engine or details or something.
Or Sony VR?

Edit. Maybe the graphics just take too many of the system resources. Still the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox one and the pro even more so and PD are therefore doing less with what they have than T10 are.

Last edited:
No doubt about it this is a shame to be stepping back slightly, or so it seems. I am happy to wait and see what we actually get though, as there are invariably surprises.
I'm not too fussed about the lack of dynamic TOD or weather. Especially since it has caused issues with FPS in the past. I prefer a butter smooth framerate, to be honest. I can live with the static TOD, I mean I did with T10, I just hope they make variations for every track rather than the way T10 approached it.

Edit. Maybe the graphics just take too many of the system resources. Still the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox one and the pro even more so and PD are therefore doing less with what they have than T10 are.
If you're talking about FM7, well, the XBOX ONE X is more powerful than the PS4 and PS4 PRO so it makes sense that FM7 can handle dynamic time ans hold a stable 60fps. I'm just waiting to see how the game will perform on the original XBOX ONE.

If you're talking about FM7, well, the XBOX ONE X is more powerful than the PS4 and PS4 PRO so it makes sense that FM7 can handle dynamic time ans hold a stable 60fps. I'm just waiting to see how the game will perform on the original XBOX ONE.
The features he's listing work on the base Xbox as well. However, we've seen little of that, so I'm interested to see how that turns out.

Or Sony VR?

Not necessarily less — just different. T10 has prioritized a locked 60fps this generation, and scaled all work around that one immovable goal, even with the introduction of dynamic time/weather. Some of that is undoubtedly down to optimization, but it also means other areas need to be scaled back. Case in point: Prague's big sweeping uphill left is missing the overhead trees in FM6. Gotta hit that 50% bigger grid somehow...

PD has seemingly prioritized visual quality. The game looks great, and it hits 60fps most of the time. PD could have had dynamic time and weather in GT Sport (it was in the PS3 games), but probably not at the graphics level it deemed acceptable. Thus, the dynamic features were cut.

Every dev has a different set of priorities for their games.

Not necessarily less — just different. T10 has prioritized a locked 60fps this generation, and scaled all work around that one immovable goal, even with the introduction of dynamic time/weather. Some of that is undoubtedly down to optimization, but it also means other areas need to be scaled back. Case in point: Prague's big sweeping uphill left is missing the overhead trees in FM6. Gotta hit that 50% bigger grid somehow...

PD has seemingly prioritized visual quality. The game looks great, and it hits 60fps most of the time. PD could have had dynamic time and weather in GT Sport (it was in the PS3 games), but probably not at the graphics level it deemed acceptable. Thus, the dynamic features were cut.

Every dev has a different set of priorities for their games.
60fps most of the time seems alright to me. As long as it isn't a 10 fps drop I'll be okay with it.

60fps most of the time seems alright to me. As long as it isn't a 10 fps drop I'll be okay with it.

I wish I could say the same. It's undoubtedly from FM6 being my predominant realistic racer for the past two years, but I've become very sensitive to frame drops. It takes me a solid few minutes just to adjust to the 30fps feel of FH3 or Driveclub!

The GT Sport beta had a much steadier framerate than GT6, which was great. It bottlenecks pretty noticeably at Druids on Brands, though. If I had to guess, I'd say it was dropping by as much as 20fps there in some races. Obviously, that's with a lot of cars in close proximity.

I wish I could say the same. It's undoubtedly from FM6 being my predominant realistic racer for the past two years, but I've become very sensitive to frame drops. It takes me a solid few minutes just to adjust to the 30fps feel of FH3 or Driveclub!

The GT Sport beta had a much steadier framerate than GT6, which was great. It bottlenecks pretty noticeably at Druids on Brands, though. If I had to guess, I'd say it was dropping by as much as 20fps there in some races. Obviously, that's with a lot of cars in close proximity.
Kaz did say that they were taking the extra time to polish the game so this issue will most likely be addressed. Especially since they're going with quality over quantity(a bit too much focused on quality).

Based on the beta that was only really with a PS4 Pro. Brands and Willow being the most common sources of frame rate drops.

Now it may improve for the final release, but i'm cautious based on the last few titles.

Nothing is essential, other than lots of cars, tracks and decent physics, however, dynamic weather/time add another dimension to the experience.
In short races, a ramdom weather/time of day, could be more interesting...

Latest Posts

Back