A-spec Expert Level Ferrari Challenge: Ascari Full Track

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 272 comments
Well I find this one very very funny...This time it is not a traditional "rabbit chase". - It`s a "there`s a lunatic in an Enzo waiting for You, and he wants to play". - Yeah he really waits, and I welcome it this time...It was a lot of fun in the Dino. Did the race 5-8 times in Dino. The first 2-3 laps You will be occupied with overtaking the first 10 AIs, so smoothly as possible. Mid lap 3 You will arrive at mr Enzo`s territorie, and one gotta DEAL with him...There`s no escape in the Dino, unless mr Enzo crashes, what he sometimes does. But a lot of "dealing"...Fun fun fun...In one of my Dino races, I did ALL overtakes contact free, also the Enzo overtake mid lap 3...Then he started to chase me, in a gentleman like way, stressing me, but no contacting me...UNTIL late lap 5... He was like "OK mr light-driver, I tried to be nice, but now it`s torpedo time" And he made an ugly DENT in my virgin looking Dino by rear ending me brutally... I stayd on my wheels, and won...This race was so good that I actually saved the replay, which I normally never do...

Also tried the beasty F40, first I couldn`t drive the thing at all, but by softening the rear springs a tonne (like the RUFs) I learned to drive it. Oh and I found that downshifting the gears the right way was CRUCIAL...I mean; in a darling like FR race car like some Mercedes Touring Car, or something, You can do Your downshifting, Your braking and Your turning in, in one motion like bi-bi-bi-biuuw, it`s funny, and the car loves it...But DON`T do that in the Ferrari F40, it locks the entire rear end, and spins around...One has to down shift like in an RR; calmly, one gear at a time, with an extended coffee break between the downshifts, and voila...Good to know and explore...I will certainly do some more races in the F40...Starting to like this beast...👍

That made me chuckle.

As for the F40, running stock suspension is easily the most fun I've had in any race for a few months. So much so, I've put another 3 million in the kitty without realising it. Would have been more but real life got rude and interrupted.

I'm having more fun (just) on Ascari than I did on the tense green hell. I never thought I'd say that but the F40 is putting up a convincing argument. To think, I've never bought or driven one before.

Hopefully, they'll do another manufacturer event after this instead of pp limits and open choices. It'll stop the GSXR, 2J etc monopoly events anyway. Plenty of manufacturers to choose from that may be otherwise neglected.

Just loved the SP1. Easy 2:07 laps with no special tune. Just a bit weight loss and all parts not adding PP bought. I'd imagine it could be very fast with proper setup.

Won this on my first attempt in the GTO, despite many issues along the way. Then tried in the Scuderia, which didn't seem all that much faster, and less fun. So tonight I tried it in the 512BB, stock (I think) except for an oil change, was 480-something PP anyway.

This was a good plan and led to some of the most epic fun I've had in GT for a while. A lot of issues early in the race and you really have to pick your moments for passing to avoid penalties but really dialled into that car and ended up in 2nd just 7 or so seconds behind the Enzo. Last lap was 2:20 and had plenty more to give. Try it, it's a lovely car, just the right amount of oversteer to be fun :)

Attempt #3 with the F430, using SS tires, TC1, ABS1, AT, and the suggested line.

I passed the Enzo on lap 4:

rV86ttY.jpg

And if it'd've been a 4-lap race, I would've had a nice victory:

DGVEFYD.jpg

But, of course, on lap 5, my mind wandered, despite having the Enzo on my tail. So my dumb ass did this:

WjsOERD.jpg

F0E0zlE.jpg

And crossed the line with the Enzo 1.688 seconds ahead of me:

FFSMsWh.jpg

:banghead: I am an idiot.

Total time: 12:20.516. Best lap: 2:19.336.

Attempt #3 with the F430, using SS tires, TC1, ABS1, AT, and the suggested line.

rV86ttY.jpg

DGVEFYD.jpg

But, of course, on lap 5, my mind wandered, despite having the Enzo on my tail. So my dumb ass did this:

WjsOERD.jpg

F0E0zlE.jpg

FFSMsWh.jpg

I've done a lot worse.

Well this will make you collect any Ferrari you don't have just to try your hand with them. I have been forced to remember how much fun the 458 is. The Enzo is like a mallet, the 458 is like that electric knife you only get out at holidays. It cuts through things so fast, you aren't used to it, till it's time to put it away.
I can't get the Enzo around the track at near the times the 458 can provide. The rest of them will get the job done but, that 458 makes the Enzo look like a chump.
I hope that SP1 is better than it was on GT5, got it as a gift car there & wasn't that impressed. Seems like that's the only one left to win with, that I haven't ran.
Oh well doesn't take long to earn your money back...
That drunken AI in the Enzo crunched my '61', 3 times before I beat him.
It could only be a fluke that my 512 BB has 512 PP?

I give up. Two more times and I've passed the Enzo at the beginning of lap 4 only to have it suddenly get enormously faster, pass me, and then become unpassable. Which, really, it should: the Enzo should be faster than the F430. Only when the AI rubber bands itself down to me can I pass it. And once I have passed it, the Enzo starts going full speed again, and then, if it makes it by me back into first, I just can't keep up with it.

Hell, the pass it made on me in the last race was even a good, clean pass. No shenanigans—the AI just out-drove me.

So, while the stock F430 is completely capable of beating this event (as evidenced by the people in this thread), I give up on trying to do it.

My last attempt had a total time of 12:10.233, with a fast lap of 2:18.511.

Interestingly, the Enzo's lap times were...

1. 2:29.287
  2. 2:32.601
  3. 2:28.154
  4. 2:20.414
  5. 2:17.149
Now that's some dramatic rubber-banding.

Last edited:
That F430 is some what unstable too say the least. I was sliding it all over the place, I think the Enzo kicked me in to the grass & I farmed the final curve to win. I was getting a tad bit ticked, as he was kicking me while I was crawling.
Funny how his lap times are all over the map. He was way out in the infield & managed to reel me back in.
Oh, my F430 wasn't stock. So the faster you go the faster he goes...

I give up. Two more times and I've passed the Enzo at the beginning of lap 4 only to have it suddenly get enormously faster, pass me, and then become unpassable. Which, really, it should: the Enzo should be faster than the F430. Only when the AI rubber bands itself down to me can I pass it. And once I have passed it, the Enzo starts going full speed again, and then, if it makes it by me back into first, I just can't keep up with it.

Hell, the pass it made on me in the last race was even a good, clean pass. No shenanigans—the AI just out-drove me.

So, while the stock F430 is completely capable of beating this event (as evidenced by the people in this thread), I give up on trying to do it.

As soon I pass the Enzo to take the lead, and the then the Enzo it seems to always get a power boost like it got nitro installed and stays behind me for 2 laps, and the good thing I won that race.

Just completed this event with the 458 Italia. Was able to pass the Enzo at the end of lap 3, but he really upped the pressure and was on my tail the rest of the race. Finished ahead of him with a close 0.743s, for a total race time of 11:56. Best lap: 2:14.516.

I will say that this is a fun, technical track where you need a rhythm in order to do well. I find that that rhythm gets disrupted especially when trying to overtake rivals in some tricky spots, sometimes resulting in some major mistakes (like going off-course)...

For me, soft tyres may also disrupt any rhythm - I scarcely run faster. So I tried hards and got a 12:16.409 time and a win. Passed the Enzo on lap four after which it knocked on my rear bumper a few times. I don't think I was even actively blocking, they just didn't want to try a good pass. On the short straight after the slow left (a bit before the chicane) it did go past but the fast right I returned from the inside. In this race I also did an involuntary slide-to-stop, but at the last left corner. No penalties.

Car: 430 Scuderia, SH, no customizations, oil change, limited to 490 bhp (547 pp). So just a pinch more power that I had on the F40.

Just completed this event with the 458 Italia. Was able to pass the Enzo at the end of lap 3, but he really upped the pressure and was on my tail the rest of the race. Finished ahead of him with a close 0.743s, for a total race time of 11:56. Best lap: 2:14.516.

I will say that this is a fun, technical track where you need a rhythm in order to do well. I find that that rhythm gets disrupted especially when trying to overtake rivals in some tricky spots, sometimes resulting in some major mistakes (like going off-course)...

Yes, rhythm is the key to winning at Ascari especially when overtaking as you said.

rV86ttY.jpg

DGVEFYD.jpg

WjsOERD.jpg

F0E0zlE.jpg

FFSMsWh.jpg

The Enzo get's a ton of HP after you pass it. You did great and not an idiot as I have been there too.....

You are getting very close to winning for sure!!

One thing for sure about this race you have a great chance to win with just about any Ferrari right out of the showroom unlike many other non-race car seasonal races.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, rhythm is the key to winning at Ascari especially when overtaking as you said.

The Enzo get's a ton of HP after you pass it. You did great and not an idiot as I have been there too.....

You are getting very close to winning for sure!!

One thing for sure about this race you have a great chance to win with just about any Ferrari right out of the showroom unlike many other non-race car seasonal races.
Does this ring any bells?

Please don't double post. Use the edit button or +quote feature.

It is not a suggestion.

That F430 is some what unstable too say the least. I was sliding it all over the place, I think the Enzo kicked me in to the grass & I farmed the final curve to win. I was getting a tad bit ticked, as he was kicking me while I was crawling.
Funny how his lap times are all over the map. He was way out in the infield & managed to reel me back in.
Oh, my F430 wasn't stock. So the faster you go the faster he goes...
I did the same thing. He nudged me to the infield on that last left hander before the long sweeping right turn to the finish line. I just drove it through the field back to the track for the win. It was dirty but be started it. Lol! I wS driving an Enzo by the way.

:boggled: Ok. Corner cutting penalty and a very noob-ish display with the brakes on lap 5 after overtaking the AI Enzo, will have another pop and then I'll try Shaunm80's tune for the 458.
image.jpg

image.jpg
:cheers:
It's time to try the 458 now. I actually enjoyed that, much more fun than the last time I drove Ascari - Bugatti Veyron for S class licence. Bit like dancing with a very full wardrobe for a dance partner

Ferrari Dino 246 GT ‘7.No Aids. Tune By Me. PP 505. HP 337. Weight 908. Cockpit View. Pass For The Win On Lap 3 At Oulton Corner. Fast Lap 2:13. Margin Over The Enzo At The Checkered Flag 3:628. The Enzo is one crazy cat!!

Was showing the race to my dad today and was within 0.6 seconds of the Enzo, in the 512BB. It's definitely do-able! Hoping some of you guys will give it a try too :)

:boggled: Ok. Corner cutting penalty and a very noob-ish display with the brakes on lap 5 after overtaking the AI Enzo, will have another pop and then I'll try Shaunm80's tune for the 458.
View attachment 248902

I just set up the 458 with Shaun's tune and it was great. I had been using the Dino for grinding out some cash yesterday and although it was very do-able, there was no room for any errors whatsoever. So, I popped for the 458 and ground away today and ended up with over 7 million!! (TIME TO GO CAR SHOPPING!!)

Shaun's tune is great and an old geezer like me was able to put the Enzo away by the middle of lap 2, then pull laps as low as 2:07 to finish 22 seconds ahead !! My total race time was 11:16!!

While I was grinding, I did some experimenting with the AI Enzo. If I just followed behind him, without threatening to pass, he toddled along doing 2:27 or 2:25 second laps. Ho Hum!?!? As soon as I passed however, BOOM! he is now lapping magically at 2:13. So, if you don't want him breathing heavily down your neck, don't pass until the end of Lap 4 and then you will only have to hold him off for a short time, like for 2:09 or so. At the end of the day, I was consistently pulling 2:08's like clockwork so the tune is good.

With the Dino, I could pass the Enzo on Lap 3, but then the pressure was relentless for the remainder of the race. My lap times with the Dino were between 2;11 (best time) and 2:13 (worst time) and I alternated between a Praiano tune and Jakedogs tune. They were both good, but quite different feeling. I added a teeny bit of forward ballast to help with the turn-in on Mr P's tune, and about halfway through the day I went to 2 inch up sized aftermarket wheels and that also helped tighten up the little Dino. Those tall 1971 profile tires make things a bit wobbly!!

Hope you all find this helpful. Now to tune that Nismo??

Last edited:
Has anyone tried @shaunm80's Ferrari 512BB tune for this event? I absolutely love his tunes. I have them on a lot of my cars. This Ferrari though...I usually just drive it stock, so maybe that's why I was so shocked...but this thing was sliding all over the place! I was terrified the first 3 laps! :lol: To be honest, I didn't put down good lap times at all. I won the race by a hair. Without question, this has been the most difficult car for me to drive in this Ferrari Challenge.

So, if you have driven his tune for this event, what did you think? Maybe I need to just man up and stay on that gas pedal? I'm not a drifter...that's probably why I get a bit nervous drifting around sweeping turns at high speeds. In a Lotus 111R I can slide all day long - it's light as a feather. The 512BB not so much! :eek: :nervous:

EDIT: It appears I forgot to adjust my starting brake balance. I always leave my brake balance at 5/5 until I've gotten several laps under my belt and I can really feel what I need more/less of. The tune from Exeter's Garage DID mention a 3/1 balance and while I don't believe that would necessarily be perfect for me, I did adjust my balance to 5/3 and I was able to trailbrake quite a bit without having the rear coming out around on me like it did in the first race.

I really need to get this 30 second clip on YouTube. I pass the Enzo (in my 2nd race) and he decides to bump me straight from behind and then he pulls off a textbook LAPD pit maneuver and spins me out and I get a ramming penalty! How brilliant is that?! :mad: :rolleyes: Too bad for Mr. Enzo I took the lead back on the same corner on Lap 5 and this time didn't let him get a piece of my delicious rear end... :cool:

Last edited:
So tonight, I decided to give the 458 Italia a go. Despite all the rave reviews it gets in real life, it's never been one of my favorites in GT5 or GT6. But I took the car and added some ballast (at -50 position) to get it down to 550 PP, turned on TC1, ABS1, AT, and used SS tires—basically the same as my attempts in the F430.

And, indeed, it was starting to seem a bit like déjà vu: on lap 4, I was going to pass the Enzo (albeit, much further into the lap, in sector 2):

6SLzgxE.jpg

I make it by "him," and at the very next turn, I see him go by me again!

sf1mpdG.jpg

So my brain locks up, and I pull the same moronic maneuver I did before, and end up in the dirt... but so does the Enzo:

8zu6EKX.jpg

Even worse than me, it looked like! So by the time I get back onto the track, the Enzo has lost a position (two, it turned out, but I didn't know that at the time):

bGeUftS.jpg

What I also didn't realize at the time, but I found out in looking at the replay, was that the AI screwed the turn up so badly, it ended up at the wall:

ymBf8dd.jpg

So it ended up teleporting back onto the track, since it was spending too much time trying to get back out of the dirt.

If you go back to that first picture, you'll notice the AI 458 Italia is much further behind me and the Enzo. Seems like Polyphony only wants one "rabbit": the 2nd place AI is setup to be much slower. But with the Enzo moved down to 4th and then 3rd place, the AI 458 took up the Enzo's "hound the player" mantle. I kept it off and won, but by a much narrower margin than one would expect given that the AI 458 was what came in second and looking at its typical lap times compared to the Enzo in this event:

SLHcN8k.jpg

WpBelKH.jpg

Interestingly, this is actually better and worse than my last attempt in the F430, where I had a total time of 12:10.233, with a fast lap of 2:18.511—my best lap was better in the F430, but my overall time was better.

Anyway, I wouldn't say it's easy in the 458. If the Enzo hadn't screwed up so badly, I probably would've had a repeat of my attempts with the F430 (namely, failure). But it payed off, so I'll take it.

There, third time I tried this seasonal. Not quite happy with the overall time yet. Took one ramming penalty when the GTO pulled right in front of me passing the California in the middle of a corner. :grumpy: Took first place on lap 2 and didn't see the Enzo after that.

WP_20141103_001.jpg

If I could just pass everyone without braking and finish without penalties the time would be +10 seconds faster. Think I'll keep trying to get the 'perfect' time for me since this is by far the most fun I've had in a Ferrari, ever. I'm just amazed how grippy, nimble and forgiving this car is.

Back