A-spec Expert Level Race Car Challenge: Circuit de la Sarthe 2009

• Thread starter JogoAsobi
  • 189 comments
Yes it seems the race outcome depends on how you race and what you are driving. Put in a 3:25 and 3:24 and finished second (a second back of 1st).

Will keep trying ....

Mixed feelings about this seasonal.
Tried it yesterday (after doing the Vision things and the other seasonals).
Lapping at 3.23 - 3.25 I only managed 3rd (and worse) with the leading duo some 25" ahead ! :scared:
I used four different LM cars and the J2 (which was still tuned for the RedBull Ring as I recall now)

Since I had some friends coming over for diner I quit the game and felt a bit disturbed about not being able to win...

Today I took the Pescarolo Hybrid, and destroyed the field, each and every race (must have done 10 or 12 races (pace at 3.18 - 3.21). Faster than yesterday, but no explanation for the very easy wins, while the leaders used to blow me away the day before... :ill:

But AI seems to remember things. In one of the races I overtook the lead car in Mulsane, accidentally touching him, which caused him to go wide in the gravel. I got no penalty and the poor guy was way behind (so I thought).
But he came back at lightning speed and was all over me till we crossed the finish line, trying to push me off.
Never noticed that behaviour in the other races...

Edit: added a minute to the laptimes... 2.xx would have been really fast :embarrassed:

Edit two: the wobble in the T500RS is back too ! But only at La Sarthe. Is it really that bumpy over there ... ?

I can feel the bumps with my dfgt too so your are not the only one.

@FSportIS , @lldantell & @dolande Congratulations on finally getting that Gold medal time! It's a great feeling, especially when you've put a lot of time into an event. Personally, FSportIS, I think the Nurburgring Nordschleife Seasonal Event in the Lexus a few weeks back was harder. I just couldn't find a way to shave time off in that particular event. At least in this event, if you drive your two laps incident free you should be able to get a gold medal time. You just have to trust your brakes and aero grip to keep your foot to the floor in some sections and don't bump into other cars or they will come after you! LOL

Oh yeah I remember that Lexus IS F CCR-S event. You know what, that is when I just bought GT6 and started playing as a newbie. That course was my first seasonal event. I got disqualified in couple runs, but finally got to finish line without spinning out. However, I won nothing. At that time, I'm like damnnnnn the track is hard, the car is hard to handle at high speed and this game is so damn hard. How long ago that event is how long i have been playing GT6. Newbie keeps learning and learning and learning :D

I can obtain gold in many events now but I'm always 4-10 seconds slower than the top 10 on the leader-board. It seems so hard to close this gap. I'm totally impressed by their "driving on the edge" style in which they use every single inch of the track.

I couldn't keep the 2J on the road, so I went with my trusty Nissan Calsonic R92CP and won with a 7:28. Also ran the Toyota Minolta 88C-V but haven't won yet, so that's my next challenge.

Can you run a detuned red bull jr on this one. thats about the only thing in my garage even close to 700pp. i usually only run slower road cars less than 550PP

I tried 787B in stock last night, well, almost. I tuned it slightly based on stock.

I lowered the front ride height to 75, lowered the compression damper a tick and much reduced the camber. Brake bias: 5/4. Extended the gear box to higher speed. Slightly increased the DF. Much reduced the LSD ratio. Spring rate and power remained stock.

Ah, this is much much better to drive than my previous stiff tune (for the smooth Spa). With softer spring and plenty of suspension travel, it's much more forgiving in this bumpy track. With this tune, I managed to make 3:28-3:32 lap time.

I've driven for an hour or so, forget how many races. I made small but steady progress, but it's only 3rd. Except for the first 2 attempts with more mistakes, I got a lot of 3rd. The leading car is always 6-10 sec. ahead. Just can't do it. Argh~

Will try more.

Golded it with a Monster SX4 Base Model. I'll admit, I cut the final two chicanes. I was in a fit of rage and didn't want to have to do the event again. :guilty:

@FSportIS , @lldantell & @dolande Congratulations on finally getting that Gold medal time! It's a great feeling, especially when you've put a lot of time into an event. Personally, FSportIS, I think the Nurburgring Nordschleife Seasonal Event in the Lexus a few weeks back was harder. I just couldn't find a way to shave time off in that particular event. At least in this event, if you drive your two laps incident free you should be able to get a gold medal time. You just have to trust your brakes and aero grip to keep your foot to the floor in some sections and don't bump into other cars or they will come after you! LOL

Yeah the Lexus one is a freaking joke. Why would anyone do a lap around the 24h nurturing in night time. In the day time I can drive through that track without no issue but at night time, come on.

Finally, I *beep*ing did it!!! WoOOOOoHOOOOO! This is by far the MOST CHALLENGING, MOST FUN, and MOST REWARDING TT :D Being a beginner driver, I'm so damn proud of myself winning this one. I ran the Audi R8 Race Car 01 (with Praiano's tune and adjusted 7/3 brake balance) with 3:28.xxx on both laps with all clean passes. Few days before, I improved from frequent spinning out to consistently running 3:35.xxx and only got Bronze. Finish the lap without crash was hard for me (I don't know the track well) but the 7 seconds improvement was actually wayyyy harder lol.

I have learned so much about the AIs, the track, and driving. Here are my observations:

1. Do NOT pass, i say do NOT pass them right at the END OF THE STRAIGHT. If you do, they will rear end your a**.
If you do though, be prepared with the brake and the stupid 3-5 seconds penalties. Being rear ended and receive penalties, yeah right :(

2. Pass cars cleanly. If you ran into them, they will TAKE REVENGE somewhere down the road and ran into you and put you out of the track. In couple runs where I did not pass them cleanly, they accelerate like a rocket (with some kind of boost) and not only pass me but they intentionally ATTACK my car on the side and put me off track.

3. They brake way earlier and corner so much slower than us so this is the best opportunity to pass:
a. Right before the straight.
b. At the chicane.
c. On the straight (NOT the END of the straight).

4. The 2 fastest rabbits usually go together hand in hand and will usually wait for you at the very last corner provided you passed all other cars cleanly. Once you see them, they will race as hard as you push it. I had great fun racing side by side with these 2 at the very end. It is the damn best part because it is very human like racing. They block, they draft, they do all kinds of stuff to make it tough. Do NOT touch them, once you do, they will attack your car and put you off track. I spun out in few races like that which kills my good time.

5. The 3:18-3:23 seconds rule does NOT apply. The AIs will adapt to your speed and push as hard as you can. The cleaner you run (less contact with them), the better chance you will win. I had 2nd place with 3:26.xxx but I won 1st with 3:28.xxx with the same car with the same line up.

6. TRAIL BRAKE and LATE APEX especially before the straight :D I improved 7 seconds with this!

7. Without traction control, be smooth on the throttle to prevent wheel spin. Progressively apply pressure on both the brake and throttle. Slamming them will ensure a spin.

8. For beginners like me only: the driving line aid is NOT optimal. I used it only to learn the track. I first tried running it but I quickly found out that many of the braking zone, you are better off being easy on the throttle a bit instead of braking. Also, it shows way too early braking, you can brake way later and still be safe. In some high speed curve, you don't brake while turning as the line indicate because I have spun out several time doing it (reason is simple: traction has a limit, turning wide + braking at high speed > available traction). I brake on straight and then slightly turn smoothly.
"For beginners like me only: the driving line aid is NOT optimal ", CORRECT , That why its called driving line and not racing line(the optimal line + its a joke).
TIP : beginners , use the driving line just for braking marks ( To know when start braking for a corner) dont when it turns red as FSportIS said a bit further , after you know the track and the general braking points , don't use it any more.

This rolling start single file is so annoying , its like track day with some random cars on track trying to slow you down and make you crash into a wall ! . The AI starts (in the good case) about 500 meters / ~ half a mile and in the worst case a couple of kilometers ahed / 1.5 - 2 miles . When me (us) watching the game take my car to the start line for 30 seconds in slow speed the AI start racing (more like free runs becose the single file rolling start let every car to create a gap betwen it and the other cars)! I think PD should stop doing this non realistic start .The AI at the le mans one was so far and was on the pp limit so i forced to use Skid Force Recovery ( errrrr) to beat that event. That what i think about that thing , if you have someone have something to say about that i will be more than happy to hear his/her opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried low downforce for highest top speed on the straights and high downforce for higher cornering speeds. A bit to my surprise high downforce gave better laptimes, even on this track with long straights. It was also a lot nicer to drive.

Fun event! :cool:

No I would have lost to the 1st place Sauber C9. It was a last-second decision to cut the corners.

LOL, guess what, I did the same thing with 787B last night.

Approaching the pit lane entrance, I saw it there just ahead of me. I thought 'what the heck, just go'. I braked just a little to avoid the tire wall, cut through the 2 chicanes and overtook. Of course, I got penalty and lost momentum, but the advantage was just enough to hold position through the finish line. LOL. (BTW, this is my first winning with 787B, haha... )

Next, I tried Peugeot 905 with softer setting. Like 787B, softer spring and more ride height makes it a lot better to drive in this track. And again, same situation near the finish - the leading car was just ahead of me. I made a quick decision, not to cut corner this time. I late braked and caught up (bumper to bumper) at the first left hander, overtook it at the last right hander. I did it !! How exciting.

So, Fanapryde is right. It'd be the same. Even if it'd look very tight, but cutting corner won't bring real advantage.

Well the AI were corner cutting and ramming like crazy, so I don't feel bad about using skid recovery magic.

Well the AI were corner cutting and ramming like crazy, so I don't feel bad about using skid recovery magic.

May I ask you a question? Did you happen to rear-end any of the AI cars, or bump into any of them going around a corner or while passing on a straight away? The reason I ask is, the first couple of times that I ran the race I accidentally rear-ended a car and had a few other incidents where I bumped cars. It was only in those instances that I experienced what seemed like retaliation. Once I learned how to control the speed of the car and drive this event smoother, I never had another incident of the AI cars acting crazy. In fact, I would say that with this particular event the AI has been behaving much less insane than in the previous few A-Spec Expert Level events -- since they modified the AI behavior.

"For beginners like me only: the driving line aid is NOT optimal ", CORRECT , That why its called driving line and not racing line(the optimal line + its a joke).
TIP : beginners , use the driving line just for braking marks ( To know when start braking for a corner) dont when it turns red as FSportIS said a bit further , after you know the track and the general braking points , don't use it any more.

I only use the driving line if I am driving a car that have bad brakes and I been driving on gran turismo since 4.

Understood the problem of my previous stiff setup, I re-adjusted the ride height/spring rate/damper (to higher/softer) of a few cars and tried them again.

One of them is R92CP. I tuned it in the same principle (for 787B) I mentioned in post #162. It's wonderful. Fast, thrashable, yet very stable. It rushes through the bumpy surfaces without the severe bounces before. Much easier going. My best lap time in the race was 3:22 and it's a relative easy win.

Then I tried Peugeot 908 again, but no luck. This car drives very well as it always does, just not fast enough, odd. My lap times were around 3:30 and could only get 3rd.

Next, I brought up Deltawing. It's even slower, as expected. Very high cornering limit through those sweepers in the 2nd half of track and very enjoyable there. Its handling feel in these high speed bends is my favorite. So effortless and confident. Unforturnately it's helplessly slow in the long straight (compared to the opponents). I can only do 3:40 or so and 6 or 7th. It can do magic by saving fuel and tires in long races, but those strengths are useless in this short sprint.

No more pressure for winning, I fooled around. And I finally decided to buy a C60. Looked at the limited ride height adjustment range (60mm at the max.), I got a bad feeling first...

The ride (FFB on the wheel) is bumpy as expected, but this car is so grippy and tossable. Its limit is so high. So I soon became overly confindent and careless after a few corners, while it kept overtaking with ease. I lost concentration and made mistakes soon after.

So fast and capable as it is, it's a real surprise I only got 3rd in the first 2 attempts. In the process I kept fine-tuning the suspension and DF to find the sweet spot (and gathering my own focus). Got the gold in the 3rd attempt and pulled a comfortable gap with the following cars. Best time was 3:20 or so.

Finally, I went to buy another Nissan, R89C. I always remember the thrill driving it in the license test of GT4 (or 5?).

Such a bull, pulling and pushing me all over the place, it got my attention and respect right away. I gripped hard, yet guided it carefully. It's close but I won in the first attempt. What a surprise. Then I fine-tuned the suspension and DF, gave it another go. The change in handling was not much, and it did it again. 2 winnings in a row by this old car, I was more than happy. :D

Looking back, I found myself kept falling back to the Group C era. There might not be overall best performance, but full of great characters in them.

I have tried 4 different cars for this event. :boggled: The Pescalero Hybride, the 908 HDi FAP, the C9 and the Minolta. My best finish has been a 3rd in the 2J. I have tried various tunes with Praiano's 2J tune:tup: taking me to 3rd place. I got a 10 second penalty for bumping 2 cars at the same time ( first time ever) another 5 second penalty for cutting the track when I followed an AI through the same tracks. I have not yet seen any of the AI antics that others have pointed out not that I don't believe. So once again the frustration level has set in so I'm saving this for a later time.

When I hit the first timing loop I'm already 35-36 seconds behind and that's after passing 2 cars. I'll get it eventually but this WILL NOT be a race I use for grinding:lol:.

8/2/14 Praise the Lord I finally won this one with the C60 and a slightly modified @Praiano tune! Changed the Final to 2.895 that gave me a top end of almost 230 MPH. I have run this one at least 20 times and never once saw any of the crazy antics of the AI. I have made a lot of credits with this one because of so many tries. At my last post ^^ I was very frustrated as I'm not used to having to run a race more than 2 or 3 times to Gold. The Rabbit in my race was the R92CP, with the 905 in 2nd. I ran 2 3:26 laps with only one 3 sec. penalty. To all who are still struggling the C60 is the best car with @Praiano's tune and the repitition of running the laps so you can learn your perfect line around the track. Also I watched a replay from cockpit view of the C60, C9, the Minolta, and the R92CP. You can see exactly how fast they are running lap times as well as their corner entry and exit speeds. Keep at it and you'll get there.

Last edited:
Forgot about this seasonal. Havent put game on for a week or so. Tried it, first go, going into Mulsanne Corner, got rammed from behind and spun off, got ramming penalty then hit barrier got another 5 second penalty. What the...🤬:mad:

8/2/14 Praise the Lord I finally won this one with the C60 and a slightly modified @Praiano tune! Changed the Final to 2.895 that gave me a top end of almost 230 MPH. I have run this one at least 20 times and never once saw any of the crazy antics of the AI. I have made a lot of credits with this one because of so many tries. At my last post ^^ I was very frustrated as I'm not used to having to run a race more than 2 or 3 times to Gold. The Rabbit in my race was the R92CP, with the 905 in 2nd. I ran 2 3:26 laps with only one 3 sec. penalty. To all who are still struggling the C60 is the best car with @Praiano's tune and the repitition of running the laps so you can learn your perfect line around the track. Also I watched a replay from cockpit view of the C60, C9, the Minolta, and the R92CP. You can see exactly how fast they are running lap times as well as their corner entry and exit speeds. Keep at it and you'll get there.

^THIS! Same car, same tune and tweak, finally won in a non-spectacular 7:32. Thought I'd blown it at the beginning of the second lap when I got pentalties for tangling with a 905 between Dunlop Bridge and Tertre Rouge. I'm not very good through Porsche Curves so chasing down the Minolta in 1st was a bit hairy, but got him into the first Ford Chicane.

Also I seem to have got a bit lucky on the first lap when loads of AI got tangled up at Mulsanne Corner or were easy to pick off down to Arnage/Indy.

So glad I've finally done it!

Finally won this seasonal but it literally got me sick. My whole body was shivering by the time I had the last AI on my sight just before the Porsche in the last lap. I finally passed it in the last straight before the last chicane and some how I mange to control myself an not screw up in the last minute. When I finally passed the finish line in first I could feel my head really warm like a fever. It passed after a few minutes and then went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night with stomach pain and had a miserable night. This morning I was OK. Boy never had such an intense experiense with a video game. Just image if I was using VR!!!
I agree!!

No aids and tune by Praianos with help from Fanapryde and JogoAsobia.I ran this race with the Pescarolo C60 Hybride-Judd ’05 on 7/27 and 8/03 with the same lineup; 1.Toyota Minolta 2. Nissan R92 3.Nissan R89 and the rest. I won the first time with a 1st lap of 3:22.086 and 2nd lap of 3:25.210 and the second time I ran this race 1st lap of 3:27.570 and 2nd lap of 3:28.746. The IA cars will go as fast as you do or wait for you if you are not going fast enough. In the first race with faster lap times I won by 1.640 second. In the second race with slower lap times I won by 1.434 and I was pushing till the checkered flag so go figure?? This is the second race.

I have tried 4 different cars for this event. :boggled: The Pescalero Hybride, the 908 HDi FAP, the C9 and the Minolta. My best finish has been a 3rd in the 2J. I have tried various tunes with Praiano's 2J tune:tup: taking me to 3rd place. I got a 10 second penalty for bumping 2 cars at the same time ( first time ever) another 5 second penalty for cutting the track when I followed an AI through the same tracks. I have not yet seen any of the AI antics that others have pointed out not that I don't believe. So once again the frustration level has set in so I'm saving this for a later time.

When I hit the first timing loop I'm already 35-36 seconds behind and that's after passing 2 cars. I'll get it eventually but this WILL NOT be a race I use for grinding:lol:.

Yes to all....!

Back