A-spec Intermediate Level European Hot Hatch Challenge: Brands Hatch GP Circuit

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 124 comments
Hello again! :)

I just tried a stock Lancia Stratos and failed miserably. I love its looks but I'm apparently much too much of a n00b to love its handling.

Is the (stock) Lancia Stratos supposed to be very unstable?

Can I learn something useful by driving it in this event? (I figure punishing cars might be good for getting rid of bad habits, which more forgiving cars let you get away with.)
oh man,
the stratos is the mother of all instability. very agressive angine (V6 taken from the Dino 246 , short wheelbase about 2.2 meter, and a balance like nothing on the front (325kg) and all on the rear (465kg). alltogether this give a lovely humming top.

I tried this once on the Matterhorn TT some weeks ago. no matter what you try our are 2 seconds behind due to being more carefull to not fly of the track ...

But a beautifull car anyway if you let it stand in the garage :D

Did it in the Abarth 1500 Bertone Biposto. Wasnt that easy even though on paper it has the goods.

Also $3.5 mil. For this? Why?

Did it in the Abarth 1500 Bertone Biposto. Wasnt that easy even though on paper it has the goods.

Also $3.5 mil. For this? Why?
Drive 5 races and you got youre money back 👍 And you have the car :cheers:

Stock and no aids. The Stratos is tricky but pretty quick when you get the hang of it. Never lift mid-corner.

20160119_195337.jpg

Nice time. I like to go for a spin with Stratos just to sharpen up my skills. It keeps you on your toes. With CM on the front the car is calmer, but who wants that? I am surprised how much easier other so called tricky cars seem to drive after cleansing my pallete with Stratos.

I tuned a Stratos a bit (I have no real clue what I am doing) and it wound up being a lot of fun. Way more stable but still less so than a Lotus. Thanks to my inability to properly utilize the tuned Lotus '11 though, the Tuned Stratos is just as fast for me. 5:40's total and low 1:40's for best laps.

So then I took a stock F40 as well as a 512BB - yet more hot hatch icons - got the CS tyres and just dialed the power down, so they met the 450PP rating. Same thing. Both cars. Apparently, some part of me is refusing to go faster than 5:40/1:40.

What times are you guys able to get using a dialed down Ferrari F40 or 512BB?

I tuned a Stratos a bit (I have no real clue what I am doing) and it wound up being a lot of fun. Way more stable but still less so than a Lotus. Thanks to my inability to properly utilize the tuned Lotus '11 though, the Tuned Stratos is just as fast for me. 5:40's total and low 1:40's for best laps.

So then I took a stock F40 as well as a 512BB - yet more hot hatch icons - got the CS tyres and just dialed the power down, so they met the 450PP rating. Same thing. Both cars. Apparently, some part of me is refusing to go faster than 5:40/1:40.

What times are you guys able to get using a dialed down Ferrari F40 or 512BB?

my Lotus's go about 1:40 either. didnt bring them to max yet. try to leave some parts stock (engine e.g.)
the Stratos still is more difficult to setup correctly. the Lotus's are much more stable out of the box.
never tried F40 or 512BB. but i tryed some older sportscars like Alpine '72 for example. this one is very quick either and a lot of fun.

my Lotus's go about 1:40 either. didnt bring them to max yet. try to leave some parts stock (engine e.g.)
the Stratos still is more difficult to setup correctly. the Lotus's are much more stable out of the box.
never tried F40 or 512BB. but i tryed some older sportscars like Alpine '72 for example. this one is very quick either and a lot of fun.

The dialed down stock Ferraris are fun to me. Especially the 512 offers some easy to control oversteer. The F40 does too but it feels a little weird on the CS tyres (I think I just have to get used to the idea more than anything else).

The dialed down stock Ferraris are fun to me. Especially the 512 offers some easy to control oversteer. The F40 does too but it feels a little weird on the CS tyres (I think I just have to get used to the idea more than anything else).
i dont like limiting down faster cars for those events. What i like more is taking measly cars and putting a lot of very expensive thing in it to make them go like a ferrari ;)

yesterday i took some alfa and bmw "M" coupe and things. But nothing compares to the Elises not matter how much power it has it wont compansite the less weight and agility.

I had a lot of fun with these old RR cars: VW 1200, Karmann Ghia, Samba Bus, Renault Alpine and most of all with a Fiat 500. The Fiat is sliding sideways in every turn, because the wheels don't provide much latteral support. But the car is still fast enough to win the race.

Yeah the 275hp F40 is kind of funny as you're in a wide relatively large car with a whole bunch of small hatches and even with the low power its still kind of tail happy. I know a lot of people do not like the mechanic of running a 50% power 200kg ballast supercar because it is a bit artificial but I do like the ability to do this, it does provide a lot of expermentation.

I ran a few of the 1960s 1970s Ferrari 365, 250GT, 512BB, Lamborghini Countach Miuras and they're all pretty fun even with 200kg of ballast.

Prior to today I never even driven a Spyker in GT6 or in Forza. They just dont strike me as a brand I'd gravitate to.

Anyone tried the Hommell Berlinette R/S Coupe in this event? I can imagine it'd be pretty decent, being a nicely balanced MR...
actually tried this. it really a pretty good to handle alternative . and theres some room left for tuning as you like, more power less weight whatever.
Same range like the Renault Alpine.

but at least by far not as fast as the lotus are.

Have you tryed the MR-Clio v6 phase something ? this ones a beast ... if you like him to be ;)

actually tried this. it really a pretty good to handle alternative . and theres some room left for tuning as you like, more power less weight whatever.
Same range like the Renault Alpine.

but at least by far not as fast as the lotus are.

Have you tryed the MR-Clio v6 phase something ? this ones a beast ... if you like him to be ;)

Good to know the Hommell is alright around here. I haven't driven it in a long time but I remember it being quite a nice and forgiving drive!

I've got the Clio V6 but I haven't driven it yet. I'll get round to it some day haha!

The Hommell is a superstar in past seasonals in the Euro 400/450/500 class. Although MR, it doesnt drive like it, Very stable, just too easy.

The Clio V6 is my "go to car" for any hatchback challenge in a few games... its MR, its v6... in a class of 4 cyl. fwd cars, then yeah, its a winner if you can handle the chassis.

It isnt anywhere as 'unstable' as the Stratos, but it does need some knowledge about how MR cars handle.

For these 4wd cars 99% of the time I use the torque split diff to move 90% of the power to the back wheels... because you know, that's what I like.

The Hommell is a superstar in past seasonals in the Euro 400/450/500 class. Although MR, it doesnt drive like it, Very stable, just too easy.

Though why didnt i try out this on the past Matterhorn event ? wasnt it allowed there ?
On this i struggled hard with my Stratos 15th Anni and got stuck at a 1.54. With the Dino it was about 2 seconds faster ;)

this one i thought of
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...opean-super-lap-matterhorn-rotenboden.339436/

i just had a look ... it wasnt alowed :(

Last edited:
spyker c8 laviolette is you want a strato lite situation
So I bought this car finally. I was ready for a challenge, what I get is a pushy on entry, loose on exit mess of a car all stock. More like Red Devil light... off to the stockyard she goes.

The Peugeot 205 is a monster. All stock it turns some pretty good laps. Hard not to drive it rally style lol. It is like the perfect marriage of MR and 4WD. Tucks in the turn, blasts out like a rocket.

Last edited:
Most of the 4wd rally cars clean up in these types of events, the Ford RS200, the Audi Quattro etc.

Further to this, the torque split diff makes the handling even more configurable.

Why not split the Ford offerings up by region?
They did split Ford Australia from the rest, so why not Ford of Europe? I guess we Europeans are too far away from Japan to be perceived.:D So all the european hatchbacks by Ford are muscle cars.

Well they have a loose connection to the classic muscle formula, powerful engine in a car that can get by with less lol.

I think the Coupe Turbo Plus rabbit field is the slowest field of them all. Give me 4 laps with that line-up and I could win with a stock Biposto I am pretty sure of by lap times lol.

Back