Abandoned cars and barn finds picture thread!!!!!

• Thread starter Cano
  • 2,165 comments
It's had a hard life, that's for sure. When Dai Yoshihara and the Rockstar/Pacific Rim team competed in it, I believe it still had the SR with the HKS catalog thrown at it, then Falken bought it and ended up shoving an LSx in there... I think, and don't quote me on that, that LS ended up in McNamara's S14 (which it still has today) and they've put a semi-stock SR back in the S15 since it's only used for demo purposes. HKS built 2 completely similar S15s back in the day, the second one ended up in Europe and no one really knows what happened to it.

Still, it'll never be as bad as that kid in the UK who bought the Sexy Knights purple/yellow FC3S, procedeed to blow the 13B and shoved a Ford 302 in there instead.

I can't find the photo, but there's one floating around of the commemoration plaque of the cars drivers, and then has the random Fallen driver lazily scratched in. Sad, really.

It was a very popular car in the early D1GP days some 18 years ago, and the car's owner left it in a field to rot since about 2002-2003 I'd say. Old school D1/Drift fans in general regard that car as a bit of a deity because of just how "cool" it was, even if it couldn't really drift all that well. That was before drift cars were built like drag cars made to go sideways, a much simpler, affordable and accessible era, where style was a more important thing than having 90 degrees of angle and 900hp.

Either way, someone found it in that field and decided to raise some funds to bring it back to life and make it look exactly like it did back in the day, but that's apparently not the case anymore.

So it's supposed to look like this:
haraguchi3.jpg

But probably never will ever again.

Funilly enough, most of the "famous" drift cars from the early D1GP era are still alive and kicking in some way or other. The HKS Silvia that Taniguchi used to drive is now one of the Falken demo cars, Kazama's S15 resides in Norway somewhere, Kumakubo and Tanaka's S15s are still at Ebisu and have been converted to rally cars, Ueno's Soarer is still in his possession, Imamura's FD3S went to Apex'i USA and is also one of the Falken demo cars, and I think even Ueo has his Trueno still.
Ops, my bad for not fully realising that we are talking about that RX7. I got confused a bit. :boggled:

I heard that this Ferrari F40 was taken to a repair shop for some maintenance in 2009 but the owner never came back. I'm not sure whatever the story was true or not and if the car was real or just a cheap-a*** replica.

q8nitro_BeewHBeAfR9.jpg
q8nitro_Bee9mGBgQyF.jpg

Came here to post that one, someone in the comments over there suggested it might be an ex-Yakuza car that's been left there to rot. Whatever the case, even with faded paint and flat tires, it just hammers home the fact Ferrari/Pininfarina have currently totally lost the plot when it comes to styling.

This Ford Mustang sitting under a tree..and a Continental

There was a nice looking early 90's Mustang next to these.

Once I can, I'll take pics of the Corvettes next to an abandoned auto shop

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/06...ang-on-ebay-turns-out-to-be-rare-classic.html

1970 Mustang Mach 1 428 Super Cobra Jet Drag Pack

It still has its VIN and buck tags, however, and Mustang historian Kevin Marti used them to check his extensive archives for Fox News. There, he found that it is one of just 23 cars like it that were built in 1970 without the Ram-Air option, and is the only one of them that was originally painted Lime Green. In other words: It’s a one-of-one car.

1528310201014.jpg

There, he found that it is one of just 23 cars like it that were built in 1970 without the Ram-Air option, and is the only one of them that was originally painted Lime Green. In other words: It’s a one-of-one car.
Is it, though? I'm of the belief that paint and/or trim color does not contribute to rarity. And it's even rarer because it lacks a desirable feature? I'll give it to you that the Drag Pack is special (by the way, it doesn't have the SCJ unless you get the Drag Pack and the SCJ was the only engine option for the Drag Pack), but the rest of the "rareness" of it is just BS.

This seems like one of those silly Nürburgring lap records that isn't really anywhere close to a record but for a very specific set of circumstances done for publicity.

Hell, it's suspiciously like an ad for a '72 Buick GS Sun Coupe for which I saw an ad a number of years ago. "Production figures for Sun Coupes are already low, but this is the only one made in yellow with a white vinyl top and interior as well as an automatic."

Is it, though? I'm of the belief that paint and/or trim color does not contribute to rarity. And it's even rarer because it lacks a desirable feature? I'll give it to you that the Drag Pack is special (by the way, it doesn't have the SCJ unless you get the Drag Pack and the SCJ was the only engine option for the Drag Pack), but the rest of the "rareness" of it is just BS.

This seems like one of those silly Nürburgring lap records that isn't really anywhere close to a record but for a very specific set of circumstances done for publicity.

Hell, it's suspiciously like an ad for a '72 Buick GS Sun Coupe for which I saw an ad a number of years ago. "Production figures for Sun Coupes are already low, but this is the only one made in yellow with a white vinyl top and interior as well as an automatic."
If what you believe would be true then the first Ford Model T that wasn't black wouldn't be "rare"

If what you believe would be true then the first Ford Model T that wasn't black wouldn't be "rare"
Perhaps, though any T wearing its original paint would be rare at this point. Moreover, a T from the first five years of production in original black would be rarer still, as black wasn't a publicly available color option until 1914.

But you're splitting hairs, just as the article's author has done. If "Lime Green hadn't been enough to single this one out (by the way, there was no "Lime Green" paint option for '70 Mustangs--the green options were Dark Ivy Green Metallic, Medium Lime Metallic and Grabber Green), it may have been the optional 4.30 DP axle (most buyers favored the 3.91) or Decor Group interior package; whatever necessary to get it down to "one-of-one."
I'd wager even fewer ("none-of-none") Light Ivy Yellow '70 Mach 1 DPs were optioned out sans ram air, simply because I can't see that color having been chosen.

Back