ABS or Not To ABS

• Thread starter IamWSPro
  • 9 comments
United States
Columbus Ohio
TheOptimusKnight
So I have been setting my ABS about 5-6 for past few weeks. I changed it last night to 1 and got faster times on a seasonal.

Any schools of thought on ABS high or Low??

Thank you

Logic would say that having the ABS set to a higher number would make it more sensitive to lock ups and reduce braking force significantly over ABS set at 1.
However even at 1 you get no lock ups so you are better off sticking at 1.
I tried using no ABS from the start of GT6, its more rewarding when you get the hang of it, but all of my GT6 time is taken up racing with a dedicated group of guys where ABS is the only aid allowed, so when you are up against someone using ABS you are at too much of a disadvantage unless you can put a massive amount of hours into getting it spot on.

Without a doubt in my mind, ABS 0 requires the driver to spend x amount of hours learning the car's braking threshold. In the context of seasonals, the driver will, on average, NOT place high on the leaderboards. If your goal is to be as fast or faster than the leaders, you will end up compromising with ABS 1. I may take a fair amount of heat for that statement but its resoundingly true to many of us who have less time to invest in seasonals.

I'm pretty sure there's no need at all for anything higher then 1 as the wheels don't lock anyway. As for ABS on or off, you can be just as fast with or without, depending if you're good at braking or not lol

The best turn to test your braking with ABS off would be Trial Mountain the last turn of the final uphill section where it drops, you have to feather the brake on and off like a throttle and it feels good to drive like that, you feel 100% in control of the car and the feel of the road, which with practice can actually make you more consistent. ABS doesn't just prevent the wheels from locking, it also increases stability under braking too, with ABS off you are more likely to sway left / right under braking than with it on.

I always like racing full sim everything off. Always hated I couldn't do this with the ps3 pad and dont have a steering wheel. Always had the abs on 1 and needed slicks if using race brakes to stop any lock up. Got a cool little box plugged in to my ps3 that let's me use my xbox pad, now have everything off and racing smooth and in much more control not least of all because it's not wireless.

Well, certainly is better to use 1 rather than 5-6. In my own experience, without ABS you can be faster than with It, but you need to be 100% focus on the task. The minimun distraction and you're blocking all the way through the corner. That's why I choose to use ABS.

Can anyone say definitively what the difference is between ABS 1 and ABS10?

ABS 10 is like having a traction control when braking. IT wont let you block the tyres. As usual, the ABS will reduce braking power in order not to allow the blocking. Conclusion: you lose braking power because the ABS is constantly intervening.

Back