ACC PS4 G29 settings

• Thread starter aaron0288
  • 263 comments
With my current settings, I’m finding it incredibly difficult to predict when the car’s about to lose balance and rotate on me. Which means it’s rather hard to push the car to its limits.

While it could just be me being crap, I feel there’s still something missing from the feel of the G29 that’s really limiting what I can do in this game. It’s affecting all of my driver ratings as I’m finding it hard to catch a spin. When watching people with direct drive Fanatecs, it looks so much easier for them to catch the car when on the edge.

Anyone experiencing the same? My settings are a few posts above. Notice anything that could be dampening the oversteer feel?

I posted about this a week ago, there is virtually no feedback through the wheel until its too late imho. I posted a video where I delibrately induced oversteer by riding on to a kerb, the point was that I got zero feedback through the wheel that the car was sliding or that it had even run up on to the kerb. I was told that this is a proper sim, amazing physics and so on. To put it bluntly I do not believe that if you're n a real GT3 you can run up a kerb and not feel it at all, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, back to settings, I found yours to be too light, I wound down the road effect (10-12%) and used 100% damping and that seems to be better, but its still not very communicative. If you haven't already tried turning off stability, give that a go.

What makes it harder is the bugs surrounding changing settings whilst driving, to be honest I'm not sure making changes on the fly always works - for example I've been changing steering angle and I'm not sure it actually makes any difference. I have experienced the FFB steering the car like in the T500 video on here, seems to be winding up the gain can cause that. You also might notice that steering assist is still on (you feel the wheel pulling in around corners), even though you disabled it - that doesn't help either.

I've left the game a week and returned to it and I'm still struggling, I was just trying at Monza and it does some really weird thing in lesmo 2 and the exit of variatne ascari.

Appreciate that the G29 is seen as a cheap wheel and the sim experts will turn their nose up at it, but either the game or the combination of the game and the G29 do not work well together. I might try going back to controller at this point, or shelve the game because I'm not really getting anywhere and its not really enjoyable as it is.

I tried ramping the damping up but for me it just made it worse. Funny how individually sensitive we all are to certain things. Stability control has been set to off from the start.

May turn down the road effects and see if that’s causing any loss of feeling.

As for the wheel pulling, I found that out to be the wheel clipping. Too high a setting on the Gain caused this so it was just causing the wheel to lose all FFB, hence why it goes loose all of a sudden. That’s why my gain setting is all the way down at 60. I still get it at Eau Rouge. Makes it almost impossible to get though there. Which reminds me, this surely must be a bug so will go and report it.

To check for clipping, watch the the bar labelled FF underneath throttle and brake bars. If it goes red, your wheel is clipping.

Agreed guys, that PS button is actually not a fix. The wheel feel without the PS button is actually how it should feel. I have played with settings and after a 30ish laps or so it feels natural now. So dont get used to the PS button thing as it will eventually be fixed and removed and you'll start all over again.

I think you had it right the first time around. The heavy setting is how the wheel should feel if you have gain at 100. You want the wheel to use its maximum power. That light feeling wheel is not the way the game is supposed to feel if gain is set at 100. When I play GT sport or the F1 games, the force feedback is heavy when I have it set at the max setting. So it is a bug, and if they fix it, then you shouldn't have to press the PS button to get it to feel the way it should. But I think it's best to keep playing with the heavy setting. I am way more consistent with it anyway.

That is not how the wheel should be. That is how the wheel feels as it’s booted up on the PS4 main menu. There are no force feedback effects whatsoever. However, if it feels good to you, keep using it, but if they’re working on that issue in particular, I wouldn’t get too used to it...

So guys, you know when the steering is 'heavy' (like no power steering), is this how it should be or should it be light, as if it has power steering. It bugs between both of these types, but I like the heavy more

The heavy feeling is a bug.

These are modern endurance cars not 80's group C cars... the steering is relatively light to make things as easy as possible for the driver on long stints.

I've never understood why people want 'heavy steering' in driving games. It's not realistic as modern cars have power steering, and it makes going fast harder as it's much more difficult to make small steering corrections with a higher load. IME, the fast racers generally use low FF levels

I like it heavy, it just feels better in my opinion, although I know it won't be as quick. It reminds me of when I had my MR2 Turbo, that had no power steering and you could feel every part of the road

The heavy feeling is a bug.

These are modern endurance cars not 80's group C cars... the steering is relatively light to make things as easy as possible for the driver on long stints.

I've never understood why people want 'heavy steering' in driving games. It's not realistic as modern cars have power steering, and it makes going fast harder as it's much more difficult to make small steering corrections with a higher load. IME, the fast racers generally use low FF levels

Many of the faster guys prefer heavy steering, including kie25, z28, etc... which is why they all prefer direct drive wheels as the force feedback is stronger and the wheel feels heavier. A heavier wheel just gives you more feedback. In real life, a car's steering is more communicative when it feels tighter. This is why the modern BMW road cars are getting criticized so heavily within the automotive media, because since a few years ago, they went to a lighter steering feel, and that has destroyed any feedback they had in the past. Lighter steering is good to drive around town, not for driving on a track. To each their own I guess.

As you say, each to their own. The more feeling the better! Was just saying that is a bug and if they fix it, to just be prepared.

As you say, each to their own. The more feeling the better! Was just saying that is a bug and if they fix it, to just be prepared.

I do now agree that it is a bug. The reason why is that even if you set the gain at zero, it still feels just as heavy. So of course something is not right. But the light feeling is wrong too. There is no way steering should feel this disconnected from the road. Hence why I prefer the heavier, but still broken feel. They also have to fix the brake pedal. Way too much effort is needed to get maximum braking.

They also have to fix the brake pedal. Way too much effort is needed to get maximum braking.

If you're on a G29, that's your brake pedal, not the game. There's a piece of rubber in the brake pot that's supposed to mimic a load cell (of sorts). Just makes it hard to get full travel on the pedal. I've removed mine.

As regards the steering... I don't have any problems knowing what the car is doing in ACC... both understeer and oversteer. I would suggest what you have is an operator issue, not a hardware/software issue.

I've had a Porsche 996 for the last 12 years - widely regarded as having brilliant steering. It's not heavy to turn. The lack of 'feel' in modern BMW's isn't weighting related, it's down to the electric powered racks they run now (as opposed to hydraulic previously)... but electric racks can work well... my brother in law had a 991 GT3 with an electric rack, and that had pretty good steering. Modern F1 cars don't have heavy steering, and neither do modern GT3's or LMP's.

Heavy steering =/= 'feel'.

If you're on a G29, that's your brake pedal, not the game. There's a piece of rubber in the brake pot that's supposed to mimic a load cell (of sorts). Just makes it hard to get full travel on the pedal. I've removed mine.

As regards the steering... I don't have any problems knowing what the car is doing in ACC... both understeer and oversteer. I would suggest what you have is an operator issue, not a hardware/software issue.

I've had a Porsche 996 for the last 12 years - widely regarded as having brilliant steering. It's not heavy to turn. The lack of 'feel' in modern BMW's isn't weighting related, it's down to the electric powered racks they run now (as opposed to hydraulic previously)... but electric racks can work well... my brother in law had a 991 GT3 with an electric rack, and that had pretty good steering. Modern F1 cars don't have heavy steering, and neither do modern GT3's or LMP's.

Heavy steering =/= 'feel'.

I know about the G29 brake pedal. It is not a problem for me in GT sport or any other racing game. Only in ACC.

Driven many recent BMWS, their steering feels like a Cadillac nowadays. So I don't really know what you're getting on about. In the old days, guys that went to the track used to disconnect the power steering belt so they could have better steering.

I
I know about the G29 brake pedal. It is not a problem for me in GT sport or any other racing game. Only in ACC.

Driven many recent BMWS, their steering feels like a Cadillac nowadays. So I don't really know what you're getting on about. In the old days, guys that went to the track used to disconnect the power steering belt so they could have better steering.
I swear gt sport re calibrated it to require no effort at all. Gt sport is full braking as soon as I touch the bump stop. Every other game I need to push hard into the bump stop to get full braking. Did enough g29 users complain to gtsport and they made it the full brake pedal less effort?

There does seem to be some obsession with having heavy steering to get "feel". However if you're fighting the wheel, you aren't getting much feel.
These cars, as well as F1 and rally, run power steering to allow quick response and avoid driver fatigue, and the drivers really struggle when it fails.
Competition cars generally keep hydraulic power steering because it gives the best feel and allows the road forces to come through well. Road cars are moving to electric power steering which loses feel, not because its now too light, but just because its electric. Any manufacturer who has made that move has the same complaint, like when the porsche 997 went to 991. But electric is more efficient with power and so better for emissions, also packaging, so that's what we get now.

My two cars are an early mx5 turbo and porsche 996, both with power steering, and both with plenty of feel (and generally very highly regarded).

I'm running my T300RS on 70 strength, i can feel everything but I'm not wrestling or fighting the wheel at all

Last edited:
There does seem to be some obsession with having heavy steering to get "feel". However if you're fighting the wheel, you aren't getting much feel.
These cars, as well as F1 and rally, run power steering to allow quick response and avoid driver fatigue, and the drivers really struggle when it fails.
Competition cars generally keep hydraulic power steering because it gives the best feel and allows the road forces to come through well. Road cars are moving to electric power steering which loses feel, not because its now too light, but just because its electric. Any manufacturer who has made that move has the same complaint, like when the porsche 997 went to 991. But electric is more efficient with power and so better for emissions, also packaging, so that's what we get now.

My two cars are an early mx5 turbo and porsche 996, both with power steering, and both with plenty of feel (and generally very highly regarded).

I'm running my T300RS on 70 strength, i can feel everything but I'm not wrestling or fighting the wheel at all

Noone is talking about wrestling with a wheel and noone wants to do that. We are just asking for some appropriate weight on the wheel. The G29 even at maximum feedback force should not overwhelm you. If it does you probably need to hit the gym. If weight has no bearing on steering feel then why do many road cars have a sport setting that firms up the steering? I struggle to understand how light steering cannot bother you when racing. It actually boggles my mind but yeah to each their own once again.

Also we should be fairly happy being g29 users at this stage. Seems like our wheel is doing the best compared to other people accounts with thrustmaster and fanatec, they're having problems with input lag and the such apparently. I'm enjoying the game with the logitech and hoping any updates they make only improve the driving experience

The very fact that a car has a sports setting that firms up the steering means its electric and likely has poor natural feel so they add weight to make it more "sporty" because that's what their owners expect.

I'm not saying a light wheel is correct. If there is little detail or resistance then clearly that's wrong. And i don't have a g29 so I should probably bow out of this conversation as i don't know if there's some bug (which is quite likely!!) making the wheel behave strangely.

Just saying that you don't need a heavy wheel necessarily to be realistic or communicate feedback. But obviously you do need some weight and feedback

Heavy steering just slows you down. Did Kunos acknowledge any problems with the G29? Because it has been really good for the most part for me.

I don’t like the brakes either though. But that’s because I have to press down so hard that my wheel stand moves.

Take the pedals apart and remove the rubber stopper from the brake... takes a bit of time to get used to, but allows you to get full brake pressure.

Take the pedals apart and remove the rubber stopper from the brake... takes a bit of time to get used to, but allows you to get full brake pressure.

I don't think I'd like the feel with the stopper removed completely tbh. I think I may try to make it thinner.

Does brake gamma help? Doesn't it give you more braking for less motion towards the end of the travel.
I think i remember Aris saying that 1.0 is for load cell pedals and you can go higher for potentiometer pedals

Last edited:
I don't think I'd like the feel with the stopper removed completely tbh. I think I may try to make it thinner.

It's fine... just takes a bit of getting used to... you could always cut it in half and try that 1st.

Does brake gamma help? Doesn't it give you more braking for less motion towards the end of the travel.
I think i remember Aris saying that 1.0 is for load cell pedals and you can go higher for potentiometer pedals[/QUOTE

I've just been playing with brake gamma (G29).

As I've played more and got used to the game, I've found I'm struggling to trail brake effectively (gamma at 1.0)... I'm finding there's too much brake pressure for a small brake pedal position... which makes the car understeer in the final part of turning as I'm still carrying too much brake pressure for the steering angle I want. I've tried 5.0, to see what effect that has, and that's the other extreme... the pressure drops off too quickly relative to the pedal position pedal position.

I'll keep adjusting it until I find a position I like... this one is going to be personal preference.

Last edited:

This is what I have done. I just cut it down with a bread knife so now I can get 100 percent pressure without it just going from top to bottom. I cannot remember the measurement I used when I cut it down but it was around 3/4 original length. Take it slow a couple of mm at a time would be my advice

Wait a sec..........your name + cars = is it who i think it is......oakley junior school ;)

Yeah man Oakley - Ant!? :cheers::D

Haha yea, what a small world!! Hope you're good John, and life is treating you well. I'll add you on PSN if that's OK, and maybe we can race sometime. My PSN is legacy-8

Haha yea, what a small world!! Hope you're good John, and life is treating you well. I'll add you on PSN if that's OK, and maybe we can race sometime. My PSN is legacy-8
Yeah all good thanks, hope all is good with you too, funny times at the moment.
I didn't know you were into this stuff too, small world indeed! Def, get me on PSN 👍

Latest Posts

Back