Ace Combat 7PS4 

• Thread starter Akira AC
  • 643 comments
That is either the Su-27, or the Su-35S

Pretty sure it is the Su-35S

maxresdefault-17.jpg

How can you tell? I'm seriously struggling to see the visual differences.

How can you tell? I'm seriously struggling to see the visual differences.

There aren't any major visual differences, I'm just going off the fact that the color scheme is based on real SU-35s. No Su-27 has that scheme from what I can find or recall. Now if the original picture had a better image of the stinger, then I could tell you. Also it is much harder than just simple distinctive things like the stinger, because the planes themselves are essentially the same thing exterior wise. Some SU-35 originally set up ended up being reclassified as Su-27M and so on. And then you have others being designated Su-30 and so on. The Flanker designation as a whole is a cluster of mess so that's why I went with a very thinly based bit of evidence to suggest it is an Su-35s. The 35s/37 also has vector nozzling so that's another thing to distinguish it from the 27, however the only way to tell that is have in game video of it in flight.

Last edited:
Kono (Lead Game Director) confirmed around 30 flyable planes back during E3.

I was basically hoping for all the planes from Infinity.:lol: Still waiting for the F-111 to be included in an Ace Combat game. Will the T-50 be called a Su-57 in the game now I wonder.:odd:

At the end of the interview in this video, Kono pretty much confirms that AC7 will feature the SU-37 as well. Apparently, it is one of his favorite fighter jets. Personally, I'd rather have an SU-34, which would leave us with all the major Flanker derivatives.

Still a lot of Russian jets I'd like to see in the game.

At the end of the interview in this video, Kono pretty much confirms that AC7 will feature the SU-37 as well. Apparently, it is one of his favorite fighter jets. Personally, I'd rather have an SU-34, which would leave us with all the major Flanker derivatives.

Still a lot of Russian jets I'd like to see in the game.

Noice I was right. Also why is the 37 his favorite it never really was mass produced.

Noice I was right. Also why is the 37 his favorite it never really was mass produced.

My guess is that he favors it for being the first Flanker to feature thrust vectoring? As you yourself said, the Flanker series is a cluster:censored: when it comes to their names, but as I understand it, the SU-27M was the first attempt at an upgrade to the original. This variant introduced frontal canards for increased control at extreme angles, as well as enabled the fighter to engage ground targets. The M variant would soon evolve into several different projects, eventually resulting in the SU-37 for testing thrust vectoring. The SU-35 incorporated the thrust vectoring of the 37, but did away with the front canards, as they were deemed redundant with the inclusion of the thrust vectoring. The SU-30 was primarily made with export in mind, and it has several variants, with the Indian version (MKI) retaining the canards as well as incorporated thrust vectoring, and the MKK variant (used by China, among other countries), incorporating neither canards nor TVC, but does incorporate various avionics and so on from the SU-35. All SU-30 variants are, as far as I am aware, two seaters, and both the Indian SU-30 MKI and either the base SU-30 or the SU-30 MKK are confirmed via screenshots to feature in the game.

The SU-33 is, I think, simply an SU-27M designed for carrier operations.

The inclusion of the MKI makes the 37 redundant in my opinion, as it features both the canards and the TVC, thus making it hard to distinguish the two fighters from each other.

Any Flanker addition is nice and all, but it would be a shame to disregard more unique planes such as the MiG-25 or 31, SU-34, SU-47, MiG-1.44 or SU-57 in favor of adding overlapping Flanker models.

Edit: There's also the SU-30 MKM, which is an MKI developed specifically for the Malaysian air force. It's mostly the same as the MKI, incorporating both TVC and the front canards. Seeing as the MKI has been produced in far greater numbers, I reckon the SU-30 with canards we see in screenshots and trailers is the MKI variant.

Last edited:
My guess is that he favors it for being the first Flanker to feature thrust vectoring? As you yourself said, the Flanker series is a cluster:censored: when it comes to their names, but as I understand it, the SU-27M was the first attempt at an upgrade to the original. This variant introduced frontal canards for increased control at extreme angles, as well as enabled the fighter to engage ground targets. The M variant would soon evolve into several different projects, eventually resulting in the SU-37 for testing thrust vectoring. The SU-35 incorporated the thrust vectoring of the 37, but did away with the front canards, as they were deemed redundant with the inclusion of the thrust vectoring. The SU-30 was primarily made with export in mind, and it has several variants, with the Indian version (MKI) retaining the canards as well as incorporated thrust vectoring, and the MKK variant (used by China, among other countries), incorporating neither canards nor TVC, but does incorporate various avionics and so on from the SU-35. All SU-30 variants are, as far as I am aware, two seaters, and both the Indian SU-30 MKI and either the base SU-30 or the SU-30 MKK are confirmed via screenshots to feature in the game.

The SU-33 is, I think, simply an SU-27M designed for carrier operations.

The inclusion of the MKI makes the 37 redundant in my opinion, as it features both the canards and the TVC, thus making it hard to distinguish the two fighters from each other.

Any Flanker addition is nice and all, but it would be a shame to disregard more unique planes such as the MiG-25 or 31, SU-34, SU-47, MiG-1.44 or SU-57 in favor of adding overlapping Flanker models.

Edit: There's also the SU-30 MKM, which is an MKI developed specifically for the Malaysian air force. It's mostly the same as the MKI, incorporating both TVC and the front canards. Seeing as the MKI has been produced in far greater numbers, I reckon the SU-30 with canards we see in screenshots and trailers is the MKI variant.

Yeah but technically speaking it wasn't the first flanker to feature it, they were testing it on 35 and the 37 is a 35 with fully functioning thrust vectoring. It then became a thing on the 35s and 27M(???), but the S was just as you pointed out an upgrade that did away with things from the test 35 protos and 37.

Everything else you said is spot on, and helps further demonstrate how bad of a naming system the entire flanker grouping is...also sort of extends into the later mig models as well. Like the 25 being a smaller version essentially of the Su 27 and having a very similar overall shape, but not nearly as great performance.

I'm with you, for all the fictional unique planes they make, you'd think they'd make some of the more real world unique planes. Like I'd love to see other one off or test planes other than the Su 37 as well. Like the High Alpha (AOA) F 18, and modeling it with the characteristics as well, even if it meant a slight learning curve for use between the average to dedicated player.

...having the AH vibes... <_<'

*hopes for the best*

*continues playing Electrosphere (JPN)*

Kono has confirmed via his Twitter that this is not some press of a button mechanic. It requires full player input in terms of pitch, speed and so on. It's supposedly meant for highly skilled players.

Assuming this is true, I just hope it won't be something you can do in planes that wouldn't physically be able to pull this off.

Kono has confirmed via his Twitter that this is not some press of a button mechanic. It requires full player input in terms of pitch, speed and so on. It's supposedly meant for highly skilled players.

Assuming this is true, I just hope it won't be something you can do in planes that wouldn't physically be able to pull this off.
hmm.. sounds interesting!

The Cobra maneuver is possible to achieve in real life:

The full flip however I'm questioning a bit.

The Cobra maneuver is possible to achieve in real life:

The full flip however I'm questioning a bit.

I know it is. I was saying that I am hoping this won't be doable with every plane in the game, because not all planes are capable of such manouvers without entering into an uncontrolled stall. The full flip can be done by various Flanker variants and the F-22. You can find plenty of videos of the later Flanker variants doing it, and I've seen the F-22 do it first hand. I might have witnessed the Rafale do it too at this year's RIAT, but can't remember. The Rafale, btw, is stupidly agile in reality. Absolutely insane the kind of manouvers you can pull off in that thing without losing energy.

Both the legacy Hornet, and the newer Super Hornet, should be able to perform the Cobra, owing to its high AoA capability.

A decent amount of fighters can do the Cobra. Even the F-35 Draken could do it, although I don't think it can sacrifice as much speed as a Flanker without entering into an unrecoverable stall.

Last edited:
I agree with the idea of certain planes pulling off certain maneuvers. The trailer did have the FA-18, a flanker, F-22, and another flanker pulling off those moves. Hopefully that means they are illustrating this point.
I would even argue the flanker looked like it performed the cobra easier than the FA-18. Which makes sense.

In an attempt to ease the suffering endured by the wait for Ace Combat 7, I re-downloaded the demo for Assault Horizon yesterday on my PS3. Wow, that game is trash. It really has nothing going for it, other than looking prettier than earlier AC games. The FoV is abysmal, DFM is the single worst mechanic in any game ever, completely stripping you of control and looking awful, and the physics were too arcade. The F-22 accelerates from 500 to 2800km/h within seconds. It feels completely unnatural. The helicopter portion feels even worse. It really does feel like playing Call of Duty, except you can move up and down in addition to sideways. Not that it matters, as you have little reason to do so, other than to hide behind a building. Because helicopters would totally fly below the rooftops in a city... Excellent battle strategy. We didn't need that tail rotor anyway...

On the plus side, I reacquired the demo for Apache: Air Assault, which is a superb semi sim for, you guessed it, the Apache helicopter. So good that I ordered a copy of the game from Amazon Germany. Not a massively easy game to find these days, but it plays really well, and the console versions even have a free flight that doubles as a bare bones mission editor, in the sense that you can place enemies around on the map. If anyone here is interested in rotary aircraft (the superior form of aircraft :D), I recommend checking this game out.

Now if only we could at least get a release date for Ace Combat 7...

The game is releasing for PS4, XBOX One and PC. VR is exclusive to PlayStation VR.
I was under the impression that it was already out on ps4. I see its not yet, pretty hyped for this game but with no firm release date, the end of 2018 is probable. Long wait i think.

In an attempt to ease the suffering endured by the wait for Ace Combat 7, I re-downloaded the demo for Assault Horizon yesterday on my PS3.

"Ease the suffering" and playing Assault Horizon :lol::lol::lol:

It feels completely unnatural. The helicopter portion feels even worse. It really does feel like playing Call of Duty, except you can move up and down in addition to sideways.

Be glad they didn't put chest-high walls in the game. :lol:

Assault Horizon is the only Ace Combat that did absolutely nothing for me, DFM (should have been optional), the helicopters handled like an oil tanker and the on-rails shooting section were boring.
To this day I haven't even finished it.
I'm not against a dev trying out new things, otherwise we would still have the same old games, but in Assault Horizon's case it didn't work out.

The previous AC games would draw you in with interesting story telling or an interesting way to tell the story and were great at making the player feel like an Ace.

Came across loads of videos on YouTube of this the other night, & watched them till I got dizzy & felt sick! Was also checking out War Thunder; very realistic looking.

New Dualshockers article on a Famitsu article for AC7 with details including more planes, some more insight into the story, and gameplay features like the cobra/kulbit maneuvers... and getting struck by lightning.

The past 8 months have been spent on making sure the game is fully ready and polished for launch, which is great.

https://www.dualshockers.com/ace-combat-7-info-screenshots/

While I was going through the Ace Combat reddit page and Discord server, apparently something big is coming for the game at Gamescom this year in August. Hoping for a release date.

Still waiting on the trailer, but we have confirmation of the SU-57 being in the game through a screenshot showing its outline on the HUD.

Back