Adrian Sutil in court after glassing Renault's Eric Lux?

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Famine, May 16, 2011.

1. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

I echo the guy who posted on Facebook about this:

"A British citizen living in Switzerland subpoenaed to appear in a Munich court case? for a crime allegedly committed in China?"

2. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I'm sure Lewis Hamilton won't mind testifying on Sutil's behalf. He is, after all, good friends with Sutil.

As for jurisdictional issues, it's obviously not a problem. If the German prosecutor wants to pursue the case - and they do - then they no doubt worked with the Chinese authorities.

3. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

If he didn't do it, I wonder how he got cut up. Probably got drunk and fell on his face.

4. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Well, that's what this hearing is all about - finding out how Eric Lux got injured, and whether or not Adrian Sutil was directly responsible for it. Sutil's argument seems to be that he was only trying to throw the contents of his glass at Lux, but Lux either stepped in at the last minute or Sutil misjudged the distance.

5. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

I wonder why he would even throw glass

6. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

He's not saying that he threw it. He's saying that he was holding it and threw the contents of that glass. You know all those movies where a guy propositions a girl and she throws wine/spirits/water/whatever in his face without letting go of the glass? It appears that this is what Adrian Sutil was trying to do to Lux, though why he was actually doing it is unclear at this point. This seems to be a fairly reasonable explanation of how events played out, simply because I can think of no other explanation for Lux somehow ending up with a glass in his neck. The point of contention will be Adrian Sutil's intentions at the time. Was this some kind of joke that went horribly wrong? Or was Sutil provoked by Lux and acted in the heat of the moment? I hardly think that this was a premeditated attack, but Sutil's intentions and motives will be the key factor in deciding the outcome.

7. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

Ahh. Yes I know. This will be interesting

8. F1 fan

F1 fan Premium

Still, with this hanging over him, it's unlikely he'll be getting one of the remaining seats even if he is innocent. No team is going to want to commit to a driver who may have to go to prison.

This could be the end of his F1 career unless the case gets thrown out of court soon. I don't see him getting a drive for this year anyway. Maybe if he is found to be not guilty, he could step in somewhere mid season, but I think that he'll be back next year (if at all).

9. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

Maybe it is related after all?! :idea:

10. F1 fan

F1 fan Premium

:lol:.

Edit: I'd hoped to post something meaningful for my 2000th post, but I guess it's just a number afterall.

11. Peter.

Peter.

Sutil won't go to prison for causing bodily harm. The most that would probably happen, if he is found guilty to begin with, is a fine. A fine won't write him off for a race seat.

12. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

If he is found guilty, the FIA will likely suspend his racing licence for bringing the sport into disrepute. And that will write him off.

13. jcm

jcm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Sach

Sach

Yeah, but his reputation would.

15. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Someone over at F1 Fanatic has pointed out that Adrian Sutil does spend a lot of time making himself out to be masculine, and when he first joined Formula 1, there were rumours that he was gay. If you type "adrian sutil" into Google, one of the highest-ranking hits that you get is "adrian sutil gay". There doesn't seem to be much backing this up except for Sutil's decision not to have a supermodel girlfriend during the early phase of his career. Now, at the time of the incident, there was said to be a girl involved - so it's possible that Sutil lost control and attacked Lux in anger if Lux insulted his manhood or his sexuality.

16. F1 fan

F1 fan Premium

I had noticed that typing Adrian Sutil into Google brings up the option "Adrian Sutil Gay".

I don't think it has any relevance other than the possible motive suggested by PM. For the record though, can anyone think of him ever turning up with a girlfriend?

Anyway, back to the important stuff. Apparently, Adrian's manager has footage that clearly shows that Adrian was not intentionally attacking Lux.

I think we all thought it was an accident, but I hope said footage is leaked online some day. Assuming it exists of course.

17. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

He probably is

18. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

And that is based on? And is relevant because? Couple of guys have a discussion in a bar. One of them gets injured/hurt. Only one thing matters. How did that injury happen. The way I see it the only possible relevance of the discussion is if Lux intentionally offended Sutil to a point that made this one lose his temper. It could work as a "mitigating" factor, if indeed he is to blame for intentionally hurting Lux.

(sorry my poor English, but I guess what I wrote is understandable).

19. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Wow, Sutil should've been a discus thrower. Spider arms!

Anyway, if the defense is smart they'll have Sutil wait outside the court room and then jog in when everyone comes to order. If the Jury sees that, there's no way they can judge him capable of hurting anything.

20. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

I know that's besides the point, but F1 fan has a point

21. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The court case starts today. Lewis Hamilton will apparently not be testifying because of commitments to McLaren and the launch of the MP4-27 on Wednesday.

EDIT: Apparently Sutil could be in some serious trouble, here. I'm told that under German law, the use of a weapon is enough to demosntrate criminal intent, and Sutil could only be prosecuted for negligence if the prosecutor requests the charge.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  22. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

23. Liquid

Liquid Premium

I read the article, but a hiatus for whom? Sutil, Lux or both?

And regarding Hamilton, why exactly can't he turn up in court? If I was called to testify and my work said "Sorry, he's busy that day", I'd still be frogmarched into the witness box regardless of that fact.

24. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Sutil.

Prior commitments to McLaren and the launch of the MP4-27. He was never formally asked to testify. If Hamilton was to be called as a witness for the defence, but said he couldn't do it, then the defence evidently feel their case is strong enough without Hamilton's testimony. If he was to be called as a witness for the prosecution and they never issued a formal subpoena, then that's their problem.

Only if the court compels you to. But it has to be done properly, and apparently the Germans didn't issue a subpoena.

25. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

His testimony mustn't be that vital if he's not compelled to be there.

26. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I've heard that there is a recording taken from a security camera that shows what happened.

Again, it depends on who was calling him. If the defence asked him to take the stand, and if he declined, then they evidently feel that his testimony is not critical. But I do believe he was to be called as a witness for the prosecution, since it was the courts that wanted him to testify (which is generally parlance for the prosecution). And they did indeed try and compel him. But it seems they didn't do it properly because there was no subpoena - the legal document that says "you must attend and you have no choice in the matter" - issued. Even if Hamilton's testimony is imperative, if there was no subpoena issued, then the prosecution will just have to work around that as it was their mistake. and since it is only a two-day trial (of which one day has already passed), there is a very real chance that any subpoena sent to Hamilton would arrive after the conclusion of the trial. And since this is only an assault and grievous bodily harm case, I doubt the judge would be willing to postpone the trial and set a new date. It would be a different story if Sutil killed Lux rather than wounding him, though.

But it is interesting to note that some sources claim Pedro de la Rosa was present at the time of the incident - but nobody has called him as a witness. He claims that while he was there, he did not actually see what happened.

27. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Adrian Sutil has been convicted (in German):

28. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

This reminds me of how Shumacher got his start with Gatchot

29. Liquid

Liquid Premium

He's out of a drive and the sentence is a suspended one anyway, and I don't think he was dropped by Force India because they were scared about him getting sent to prison.

CS gas or a bottle to the face? Must be great to be an F1 driver!

30. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

Yeah! Haha Nico certainly deserves it. I am happy to see Sutil out and taken like Nico back in. Stupid why Williams dropped him in the first place