Adrian Sutil in court after glassing Renault's Eric Lux?

• Thread starter Famine
  • 134 comments
Well this is a shock. I always expected Adrian to be found not guilty. Will be interesting if details of the case are leaked.

Well this is a shock. I always expected Adrian to be found not guilty. Will be interesting if details of the case are leaked.

Well, being a German citizen and being somewhat familiar with the law, I figured Sutil was pretty much screwed when I first heard about this. The German Courts are pretty unforgiving for anything. They fined my mother 50,000 Euros because she received Kindergeld (basically child support from the government) while she was living in the US, even though she was paying her taxes and she had informed the German Government many times that she was living out of the country. She now has a Criminal Record, and the prosecutors even wanted her to go to jail (Thank God she didn't).

Anyway, back to Sutil, I don't think we'll ever be seeing him in F1 again.

Sorry, can anyone tell me what happened? The link in the OP didn't work when I tried it.

We don't really know what happened other than the fact that there was an altercation between Adrian and Eric Lux in a Shanghai nightclub after the Chinese grand prix. Eric Lux required stitches as a result of this.

Details are still thin on the ground.

Sorry, can anyone tell me what happened? The link in the OP didn't work when I tried it.
There was an altercation in a nightclub in Shanghai after the Chinese Grand Prix. CCTV footage of the incident showed Eric Lux attacking Adrian Sutil, who hit back - but Sutil had a glass in his hand, and he cut Lux's neck deep enough that Lux required twenty-four stitches as a result. He was very lucky; Sutil nearly got his carotid artery, which would have meant that Lux could very well have bled to death before he could get medical attention. Although Lux attacked first, Sutil was charged because he had a glass in his hand - which counts as a weapon - and caused serious harm to Eric Lux.

Where are you getting this information? I hadn't heard it like that before.

And it shouldn't really count as a weapon in a club now should it? If I work in a kitchen and I'm cutting something with a knife while someone attacks me and walks into the knife, how on earth could that be my fault?

Where are you getting this information? I hadn't heard it like that before.
From reading news reports and following Twitter feeds. I got the bit about the CCTV footage from Adam Cooper's feed.

And it shouldn't really count as a weapon in a club now should it?
If it is an object that can cause injury or harm, it can be considered a weapon. What Sutil did is called "glassing" - using a glass or a bottle as a weapon, particularly one that is broken and has a sharp edge.

If I work in a kitchen and I'm cutting something with a knife while someone attacks me and walks into the knife, how on earth could that be my fault?
Except that Lux didn't "walk into" the glass. It appears that he hit Sutil, and then Sutil hit him back with the glass in his hand.

If it is an object that can cause injury or harm, it can be considered a weapon. What Sutil did is called "glassing" - using a glass or a bottle as a weapon, particularly one that is broken and has a sharp edge.

I'm aware of the term glassing. I'm Scottish. :sly:

Except that Lux didn't "walk into" the glass. It appears that he hit Sutil, and then Sutil hit him back with the glass in his hand.

Ah. I appear to have mis read your last post. I didn't realize that Adrian struck out with the glass in hand.

I don't really have anything positive to say about Eric Lux following this incident. From what I've read and what PM has said, Lux attacked Sutil in the first place. If you attack someone with a possible weapon in their hand, you should expect them to use it. Also, having just read this, it seems that Lux was wanting compensation in excess of 10 million in addition to Adrian taking a voluntary multi-race ban. Where is he honestly getting a figure like 10 million from?

No. He received a suspended sentence, which means he has been convicted of a crime, but is free to go. However, if he commits another crime (with the exception of minor traffic offences) before his probation period is up, or fails to show up for a court appearance before, then he will go straight to prison.

It's the same as the sentence that was given to Renault for the Singapore incident: they were convicted, and given a suspended sentence. If they were caught cheating again within the two-year probationary period, they would be banned on the spot.

I'm slightly confused, is Sutil actually going to prison?

18 month suspensed sentence, from what I gather.

Which in basic terms, means no. But if he commits another offense within those 18 months, he'll go directly to jail, not pass go and not collect £200.

Edit:
450px-Picea_abies_single_tree.jpg

Which sort of leads inevitably to this.

"Adrian is a criminal. I don't want to be friends with someone like that."

Or maybe McLaren's view point "Adrian is a criminal - you should distance yourself as far from him as possible, so it doesn't reflect badly you, and therefore us too"

18 month suspensed sentence, from what I gather.

Which in basic terms, means no. But if he commits another offense within those 18 months, he'll go directly to jail, not pass go and not collect £200.

The sentence is 18 months on parole, and a probation of 3 years. So he need to stop stabbing people for 3 years now.

Also on the sum Lux allegedly asked from Sutil was for a donation and not his own pocket. As Lux is a Luxemburger, we got fairly alot of these news the last days.

Sutil was really sorry (wether it was of fear of the sentense or real?) and quite shocked of the sentence he received.

But just as a FYI, it is a serious crime Sutil commited. In 2010, in the RED club in Luxemburg, exactly the same thing happened:
A younster harresed a lady and other people, harrased the lady again at the exit, but this time a friend was standing next with a champagne glass in the hand, he hit, touched the younster in the neck.
SAME AS SUTIL, except, the youngster died later in hospital.
Guy who hit with the glass has 18 months prison and 3 years of probation, plus dammage money. They guy has 22 years now. What a great way to start life.

As you see the case Lux vs sutil could have ended way worse, and therefor the judgement made by the german judge is ok. Wether or not he wanted to kill or harm, he had a potential weapon at hand and everybody knows glass cuts, so did he, what why the sentence. Would it have been a flower and a allergic reaction by Lux, it would not be the same

The money sentenced is also for a good cause (charity) of Lux

On Hamilton: Lewis is certainly no coward as he demonstated with his suicidal driving manoeuvers this year. Taking distance is a reflective thoughtful approch but surely not one of a good friend or a good fellow racedriver if he could have influenced the sentence in Sutil favor

Last edited:
Well, if one day one of you guys gets to appear in court and the only person that witnessed all that happened to you bails out from testifying ... you'll know how it feels. I have seen it happen and it is revolting.

Hamilton wasn't a witness to the incident. He was called by the defence as a character witness.

Perhaps Lewis felt his side of the story wouldn't have helped Sutil's case. Saying he doesn't remember clearly is a good was of saying he saw it but doesn't want to dig a friend a deeper hole. Sutil may not realise that. Interesting if they share a race track again.

Hamilton wasn't a witness to the incident. He was called by the defence as a character witness.
PlanetF1
Sutil also slammed Hamilton, who was with him when the incident took place,

What did Joss do? It should've Gatchot claims ltd

Jos was found not guilty of beating his wife, but was found guilty of making threats. He was also convicted of assaulting a man and fracturing his skull in an unrelated incident.

Latest Posts

Back