Adrian Sutil in court after glassing Renault's Eric Lux?

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Famine, May 16, 2011.

1. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

Mace not included.

Didn't realize 'ol Jos the Boss was such a bad mofo...O the tabloid stuff I never hear about in 'merica!

2. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Gachot, Verstappen & Sutil Solicitors Ltd.

When being a well paid driver in the top discipline of motorsport gets you all riled up and makes you attack people

Est. 1991

Offices: The Hague, Le Bastille, Parkhurst

Neither a suspended sentence nor on-track success are guaranteed

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Interesting bit of "info" in there:

4. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

Sutil is the moral coward and an idiot as well. He's always insisted that he had done nothing wrong even though he do actually glass someone, and had plenty of time to apologise to Lux but didn't, and then when it went to court he instantly admitted his own guilt.

Don't forget that GBH is only one step down from attempted murder. This was a lot more serious than most people though and he is very lucky indeed not to be in prison.

5. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

6. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

I'd say he's badly advised. Appealing about not actually having to go the prison is asking for a Judge to send you to one to make a point that the law is not to be messed with.

7. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid Premium

The Sutils gots some strong words for Hamilton. I don't always like what Hamilton but to call him pathetic and weak in public is, well, pathetic and weak of the Sutils. If they were man enough they would go to Hamilton personally and tell him man to man.

8. F1 fan

F1 fan Premium

Agreed. I am not a Hamilton fan at all. But calling for him as a witness after those remarks is pretty stupid.

9. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

@ Tired Tyres: Appealing was probably a good advice.

Maybe in the UK things are different, but german law is - as portuguese and most other european continental law systems - heavily influenced by roman law and roman juridical foundations.

All this to say I'll give a 99,99% chance that in Germany, as in most of Europe, the several thousand year old principle concerning the prohibition of a "Reformatio in Pejus" still stands. Meaning, the court's decision on his appeal may not be worse (for him) than the appealed decision already was.

10. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

Agreed. I also think they are being extremely naive, not to mention extremely unfair towards Lewis, and McLaren for that matter. Why should Lewis involve himself in such an unsavoury incident, and publicly side with someone who has behaved so reprehensibly? And do the Sutils expect that Lewis's employers and sponsors would enjoy the sight of their guy telling the world how brilliant a bloke Adrian is (so long as you don't spill his Martini)?

11. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

I wouldn't be so certain if this is the wrong attitude from Sutil. And I very much doubt that this is the wrong line of action for his attorneys. As far as I am concerned, the strength of Sutil (and his father's) words cast a doubt, a very serious doubt on what really happened. Especially after Sutil's father let slip (lol) that Lewis was the cause of the discussion that turned wrong.

I don't care if Hamilton chose to look to the side and whistle (and not show up in court) because of corporate/PR reasons, but if he did, that's indeed pathetic. And I'm not even considering the "friendship" aspect of it.

12. Sohvakettu

Sohvakettu

Reading the news there is a possibility that the sentence might become tougher. In the news it is also noted that prosecution also wants to appeal. I think that German system works quite much like the Finnish system (on the basis that Finns have modelled some of their systems on German ones) and here the sentence can become tougher after appealing.

13. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Sure the prosecution appeal can result in a worse decision, the prohibition of the "reformatio in peius" only applies to a deffendant's appeal.

Anyway, I had some time to spare so I did a litle search and I can now present you the GERMAN CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE . Go check "Section 331" :)

One other thing I'd like to share is this. Worthy of some thought I think:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-adrian-sutil-found-guilty-in-german-court/

14. niky

niky Moderator

Whether it was intentional or not, the damage was done. At least Sutil got a suspended sentence, and the payment would be for the cosmetic damage to Lux's face.

The decent thing for Hamilton to have done would be to at least appear and give support to his friend. That he didn't isn't surprising. Hamilton has been cutting a lot of ties, lately.

Whether he wanted to appear or not, McLaren may not want their golden boy (errh... such as he is, at the moment) associated with such an incident. And there's a precedent for Lewis doing what his team tells him to do.

This is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't... something which Lewis is all-too-familiar with.

15. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

It's a fought brake for Adrian but a great opportunity for Nico to prove himself in F1 again.