AE86 Levin and Trueno

• Thread starter Tsanchez
  • 126 comments
DropTop...

I do have the luxury of going 20V ;)

Blew one engine... replacement should be here shortly... then the swappage will occur...

Its all about the black top... but thats too much for me even, I settled with a silver...

I pick up things as I go. What Corolla knowledge I have amassed in the years comes from working on my friends Corolla. JDM 16V Redtop, T3 Small-Port/Big-Port adapter plate runnin' the TVIS manifold, and lots of suspension.

Droptop_Chick
I pick up things as I go. What Corolla knowledge I have amassed in the years comes from working on my friends Corolla. JDM 16V Redtop, T3 Small-Port/Big-Port adapter plate runnin' the TVIS manifold, and lots of suspension.

Cool, i you dont have... get the camber plates from T3 I have it on allmost all the car im my drift team, the part is very well make and very light.

Aboult all the crap aboult the engines... having or not a type of engine it depended alot on where it was releaced.... in Portugal only the silver engine got out, the 1.6L 16v 128hp Levin, the trueno was never released in Portugal.

To se how much diferent is from a country to another in FR the Leven was releaced with LSD in ALL the version the PT the LSD was only releaced with the coupe version .... All dependeds where you are !

here in nz we have trueno and levin where in ausie i heard only levin version although nz and ausie so close. so yeah i guess its depending where you are and local regulation. I think to help clear some confusion, when post a message either put [answer] or [question] on top of message.

@Kouki_ae86:
hahaha yep I forgot about that, and bumper too, =P. btw do u have the JDM kouki bumper? i have the zenki =/ was thinking. I have rear kouki only =(.

takumidrift
get the camber plates from T3 I have it on allmost all the car im my drift team, the part is very well make and very light.

He has the T3/Ground Control front coilover conversion with the camber plates. Yes the T3 parts are dope.

Has anyone had the privilege of swaping there AE85 Trueno or Levin's original 3A-U engine to a Bluetop 16v 4A-GE, TVIs?? :indiff:

From what iv heard it not too bad, but iv never realy done anything like this before so im learning as much as possible :)

Here are som question i have to ask about (if anyone could help):

Will the orginal diff (AE85 standard diff) DIE if i start drifting with the new engine?

Will i need to get a different driveshaft? (I know that they both have a 21tooth spline, but will the original need to be a different lenght?)

Thats all the questions i have for now. I hope sombody can clear the air :-p
P.S. I also live in NZ (some bloody good roads for drifting :-D )

wow, all i can say is wow. some of those earlier posts wanted to make me cry lol. 86truenopower, and 86truenogtv got the facts straight for all u people claiming that the levin was an econo box lol. i have a 87 corolla gts hatch. has a jdm bluetop in it, but still has afm cause i didnt wanna deal with converting to a map sensor. its a lot of fun even though it doesent have an lsd rear end yet. hopefully there wont be anymore appauling posts about the hachiroku anymore. :ill:

Trueno85
Has anyone had the privilege of swaping there AE85 Trueno or Levin's original 3A-U engine to a Bluetop 16v 4A-GE, TVIs?? :indiff:

From what iv heard it not too bad, but iv never realy done anything like this before so im learning as much as possible :)

Here are som question i have to ask about (if anyone could help):

Will the orginal diff (AE85 standard diff) DIE if i start drifting with the new engine?

Will i need to get a different driveshaft? (I know that they both have a 21tooth spline, but will the original need to be a different lenght?)

Thats all the questions i have for now. I hope sombody can clear the air :-p
P.S. I also live in NZ (some bloody good roads for drifting :-D )

I almost did that with my AE85, but then I found AE86. I know for sure diff different but not really sure will it be able to handle 4AGE or not.
From my knowledge, if you want to change 85 to 86 properly, you need to change almost all the stuffs in the car. suspension, 85 using drum at rear brake but 86 using disc brake, 85 using K50 and 86 using T50 gearbox, and if you plan to run the 4AGE with carburator then it's okay, but if you plan to run fuel injected, you need to change the fuel hose because 3AU using carb and thus low pressure hose where EFI is high. and the fuel tank also different (if you try to install the fuel sender from 86, it won't fit).

well i guess all down to how far you want to convert it, i saw people running 4AGE carb on 85, it run but doesn't last long if you drive hard out on it. cool =) NZ, same here, i live in Auckland =)

ok guys listen. The difference between the Trueno and Levin is that a Trueno is a 32 valve Twin cam, while the Levin is a 16 Valve Single cam, ok? :)

AE86/MR2
ok guys listen. The difference between the Trueno and Levin is that a Trueno is a 32 valve Twin cam, while the Levin is a 16 Valve Single cam, ok? :)

err... sorry not mean to pick on you, but are you really sure about that?
Trueno and Levin are the same. unless you compare an AE86 Trueno with AE85 Levin.
86 come with 4AGE and that is DOHC/Twincam with 16 valve where 85 is 3AU with SOHC/single cam.
4AGE blue top and red top has 16 valve where the later generation 4AGE silvertop and blacktop has 20 valve (that's 5 valve, 3 inlet 2 outlet per cylinder).

if Trueno has 32 valve engine, it will beat skyline to the bone because only a V8 engine will have that many valve. (just imagine a meaner and more powerful engine installed into a much more lighter chassis).

By the way, how does 32 valve exist in just a 4 cylinders engine?
that makes 8 valve per cylinder ? that just simply impossible.
Please, don't post some false fact.

trueno86power i have to thank you, for setting people straight.
I have been interested in toyotas for a long time since my dad used to always work with them so its the cars i kinda got to know and always liked the 86s. The thing that annoys me is in the last 3 years or so, so many people sprouting up on forums and across the net thinking they are toyota mechanics after watching intial D. ITS A CARTOON FOOLS! Dont expect to be able to buy one and go around a corner like a pro, not gonna happen.

Glad to see some people have done research before opening their mouths, just for the record as well, the electronic/digital dash is ugly.

Corollas in general are awesome :)

kralos
trueno86power i have to thank you, for setting people straight.
I have been interested in toyotas for a long time since my dad used to always work with them so its the cars i kinda got to know and always liked the 86s. The thing that annoys me is in the last 3 years or so, so many people sprouting up on forums and across the net thinking they are toyota mechanics after watching intial D. ITS A CARTOON FOOLS! Dont expect to be able to buy one and go around a corner like a pro, not gonna happen.

Glad to see some people have done research before opening their mouths, just for the record as well, the electronic/digital dash is ugly.

Corollas in general are awesome :)

yeah, i think after the cartoon. The car start to get alot of attention. Alot of people bought the car because they thought the car really fast but then regret it because its not like what they think. Some also even had no idea what they talking about.
After Initial D, people start to know about this car, it's good and bad IMHO.
before I can drive my 86 and not afraid of getting stolen because people just regard it as an old junk car, but now I always don't feel save =(.. last year I had 4 times people trying to break into my car =(.

hahaha yeah.. the digital dash looks ugly.

They aren't great, thats for sure. Fun, yes, Fast, no :P Still, I love them because they can be made fast... 20V swap or 4A-GZ in there makes em getup and go.

I'm just surprised that there's still debate going on about this....:boggled:

Swift
I'm just surprised that there's still debate going on about this....:boggled:

I think this is the first thread in 24 hrs that I've seen you post in without including a lock. :dopey: (not that I think it should, I just find it amusing)
Well considering the general obssesion people have with the car, It will never end.
As for my position: It is a good car, but I am not much of a fan of Toyota Vehicles.

HammerShot
I think this is the first thread in 24 hrs that I've seen you post in without including a lock. :dopey: (not that I think it should, I just find it amusing)
Well considering the general obssesion people have with the car, It will never end.
As for my position: It is a good car, but I am not much of a fan of Toyota Vehicles.

That is a scarily good point. On both counts.

In GT4, there is a slight difference.

Sprinter Trueno:
Power Rating: 134hp@6600rpm
Rev-Limiter set: 7,500rpm
Approx. Top-Speed: 135.51mph just under 7,500rpm

Corolla Levin:
Power Rating: 134hp@6600rpm
Rev-Limiter set: 8,000rpm
Approx. Top-Speed: 137.57mph @ 7,500rpm

Don't ask me why but the Corolla Levin has a slightly higher rev-limit set. I wasn't able to top out (top-speed wise) any of the cars. I don't think the differences in top speed will make a difference because it takes a long straightaway to obtain. Both the tested cars are stock "6.2 mile" versions with both an oil change and car wash before testing. Testing was completed once on the driving park top speed challenge test track.

Another note, the "6.2 mile" version cars have five more horses than the higher mileage AE86s.

Well, that's for my first post! Happy gaming! :)

I'm not sure about the game, but on real life they just the same and I think they are great car.

I think instead of closing the thread and I'm 100% next time someone going to make new thread again regarding this, maybe it's good idea to make one sticky for anything regarding ae86.

Trueno86GTV
I think instead of closing the thread and I'm 100% next time someone going to make new thread again regarding this, maybe it's good idea to make one sticky for anything regarding ae86.

Yeah there's a good Idea :rolleyes: Why don't we add one for s2000's. Oh and don't forget S14's and about every other car in the game. I understand what you were thinking but that would be opening up a can of worms. :scared:

@HammerShot: yeah, I was thinking about that too when I wrote the previous reply. Well I guess not for all cars. just for some that people keep bringing it up or maybe create a sub forum, say something like this
GT4 Drifting ->Cars -+->S2000
+->AE86
+->S14
and so on for some of car that used very frequently.
Well just an idea. :)

NOTE: I make it after car then car model but I have no idea why the '+' from 86 and S14 go to the left margin instead of under the '+' of S2000.

HammerShot
Yeah there's a good Idea :rolleyes: Why don't we add one for s2000's. Oh and don't forget S14's and about every other car in the game. I understand what you were thinking but that would be opening up a can of worms. :scared:

Exactly! Sure we could have a whole bunch of stickies or even one thread with a bunch of car threads within it. But dang, how hard is it to just put in AE86 at the top of this forum in the search box?

Back