AE86 Levin and Trueno

• Thread starter Tsanchez
  • 126 comments
Swift
Exactly! Sure we could have a whole bunch of stickies or even one thread with a bunch of car threads within it. But dang, how hard is it to just put in AE86 at the top of this forum in the search box?

Well I've learned through running my Clan Forum that people don't like using the search button, they are too damn lazy :rolleyes: . Knowing us, we would have made a split category with a spot just for cars. I think he has an idea there
Trueno86GTV maybe create a sub forum
, but it wouldn't be neccessary until this Forum gets much larger.

XVII
isnt this supposed to be about drifting????

Yes it is. But since initial D will be linked to drifting for a while. So I have resigned myself to allow this thread to appease those that just have to talk about the Trueno.

Oh well

Trueno86GTV
err... sorry not mean to pick on you, but are you really sure about that?
Trueno and Levin are the same. unless you compare an AE86 Trueno with AE85 Levin.
86 come with 4AGE and that is DOHC/Twincam with 16 valve where 85 is 3AU with SOHC/single cam.
4AGE blue top and red top has 16 valve where the later generation 4AGE silvertop and blacktop has 20 valve (that's 5 valve, 3 inlet 2 outlet per cylinder).

if Trueno has 32 valve engine, it will beat skyline to the bone because only a V8 engine will have that many valve. (just imagine a meaner and more powerful engine installed into a much more lighter chassis).

By the way, how does 32 valve exist in just a 4 cylinders engine?
that makes 8 valve per cylinder ? that just simply impossible.
Please, don't post some false fact.

Ok yes I 4got to double check my facts, because i thought i knew my stuff but its been over a year since i was interested in this stuff. and btw, i dont think it could beat a skyline really with that many valves, because a skyline can outrun a Cobra R which has 32 valves.

Thats because the Cobra R has 8 cylinders.

Valves don't mean more power by default. I have a 20V silver top in my MR2, its fast, but its not making the kinda power a V8 would. ANd unless the engine was considerably larger in displacement, and turboed, it would not be as powerful at a RB26DETT. Besides, a head can't support 32 valves on a 4 cylinder.

Basically, the claim that a 32 V 4 banger will be a 24 V 6 cylinder, with greater displacment, and turbocharging, is ridicoulous.

Stop being a fan boy.

Azuremen
Thats because the Cobra R has 8 cylinders.

Valves don't mean more power by default. I have a 20V silver top in my MR2, its fast, but its not making the kinda power a V8 would. ANd unless the engine was considerably larger in displacement, and turboed, it would not be as powerful at a RB26DETT. Besides, a head can't support 32 valves on a 4 cylinder.

Basically, the claim that a 32 V 4 banger will be a 24 V 6 cylinder, with greater displacment, and turbocharging, is ridicoulous.

Stop being a fan boy.

I said I was wrong about the 32 valves cuzz i had better stuff to worry about. and listen, its kinda stupid to be insulting people over a forum. and i never said that valves mean more power, it just means that more air is allowed which will let it flow in between each valve and can generate more power to the engine.

what I mean by 32valve can beat skyline, is not 32valve on L4 or V4.
I mean 32 will be on V8 engine and installing V8 into 86 that will make that 86 really mean beast (that's if it can get the brute to the ground)
I never really tried to test 4AGE 20v hard out, so I can't say much about the 20v(still saving up money to be able to get one).
however I do believe 20v does produce more HP and very small increase in torque and I heard it's more responsive than the older 4AGE. 20v also not as peaky as bluetop 4AGE.

20V's are more peaky than 16V's and are only slightly more responsive than a blue top which already has light internals.

d3p0
20V's are more peaky than 16V's and are only slightly more responsive than a blue top which already has light internals.

Thanks for clearing that out D3p0. my 16v bluetop feel so weak before 3.5k rpm, but when it reach about 4k above it does produce good power =(

ahh sweet =) i wish i can change to blacktop. I still have bluetop and another spare bluetop that just been rebuild but never been put into the car to test yet.

Did TRD ever make a supercharger for the 4-AGE? That motor seems like it'd go really, really well with a supercharger, giving it a nice, even flow of power to keep your drifts going.

TRD made superchargers for motors other than the 4AGE. However, Toyota made a supercharger (the SC12) for the AW11 MR2 and later AE101 Levin. HKS also made a high output supercharger kit for the 4AGE which is very rare today.

That being said, supercharging can be great for autoX or rally driving, but isn't neccesarily best for drifting.

Toyota also just made a supercharged 4A... the 4A-GZE.

And the 20V has its power above 4,500 RPM up till around 8 grand. Its a little surging at the 4500 RPM point... just need to stay above that, and its good. The current C52 tranny ratios work well with the engine... I'm just wondering how long it will old out with the power bump...

Yeah.. SC12 + 4AGE = 4AGZE

Neither 20V makes power till its peak, just like its predecesors. It's been a while since I've driven a 20V but 4500 seems a bit low for it to be making power. What RPM does VVT kick in?

Persoanlly, I think 20V's are more at home in an MR/FF config just because you can ge the most out of them in that application --aka: jealous :)

VVT kicks in around 4500 RPM, you can hear it... noisy :/ 4500 is where you start to feel the power develop... it takes off above 5 grand though.

MR and FF always get more, since there less distance for the power to travel and the likes. I love MR cars... just seems best that way :D

Apparently there are three different versions of the 20V VVT. Yours is the earliest and it activates at 4400rpm. I remeber now that the 20V I was driving had no exhaust and tea strainers as filters, so that probably contributed to the peakyness of the powerband.

I'll have my AW11 soon, mark my words.

From what we can tell, its a 1994 Silver Top.

I'm in the process of cleaning up one right now.. gonna sell it in a bit to a friend probably..

d3p0
Apparently there are three different versions of the 20V VVT. Yours is the earliest and it activates at 4400rpm. I remeber now that the 20V I was driving had no exhaust and tea strainers as filters, so that probably contributed to the peakyness of the powerband.
I'll have my AW11 soon, mark my words.

3 different 20V VVT? I think I heard about that too, 2 silvertop and 1 blacktop 4AGE, is that what you mean d3p0?

I think it does contribute to the peakyness, it is because it's more free flow so the powerband shifted to higher band. I think that's what happened to my 86 too. After I changed my exhaust system from manifold until the end to 2 1/2 inch with 1 resonator and 1 straight muffler, I feel my engine has less power at lower band but at 4500 above, it does making more power than before. The only thing I want, more quiet.. =( its too loud for my taste and I don't feel safe when driving hardout when the exhaust making loud noises =(

Okay, I just couldn't resist anymore. If anyone here is interested in learning more about the Trueno, Levin, Corolla, or the 4AGE, please go to Club4AG.com. There are quite a few members that know more about these little Toyotas then most people will learn in their lifetime.

Anyway....I'm going to break this down a bit. BTW d3p0....you're from Club4AG too, aren't you? I go by Wang Fu Master on the boards there. I'm a friend of Yasin (Mr. Slownrusty himself).

Okay, here goes soem stuff for the AE86:

JDM versions - Levin and Trueno
-Trueno with flip lights and different feners, front bumper, fenders and hood to comepnsate for them.
-Levin with stationary lights and different hood, bumper, fenders then the Trueno version
-Both Levin and Trueno COULD come from the factory with LSD. It was not STANDARD, but an option.
-GT-V and GT Apex models both came with the bluetop 4AGE, all wheel disc brakes, and more aggressivly geared transmission.
-Despite what Toyota CLAIMS, the US horsepower specs of 112 are more accurate than the 130 the Japanese version has. The only difference in the two is pollution control stuff and the Japanese version was MAP sensored and the US was AFM sensored.
-There were two different bumper styles for both the Levin and the Trueno. The one most of you that have only seen an AE86 in Gran Turismo and Initial D are familar with is the zenki, or early model. The rear bumpers for both the Levin and Trueno are the same and are easily told by one line through them. The kouki, or late model, varies in looks in the front from the zenki and has a rear bumper with two lines going through them. Generally, the kouki bumper brackets and signals are slightly more desirable as most aftermarket bodykits use these instead of the zenki brackets.
-The zenki Trueno front bumper had an option for a lip that would go on the bottom of the bumper. A popular modification for the kouki Trueno bumper is to hook this lip up to it to give a lower, more aggressive look.
-Both zenki and kouki Truenos had different headlight "eyebrows" and corner lamps.
-Kouki model LSD pumpkins have 10 bolts whilst the zenki have 8.
-Kouki axels are slightly bigger which make them stronger.
-Kouki clutch master cylinders have a larger piston.
-Kouki coupes have different taillight sizing due to the reverse light being on the inner side instead of built in like the zenki tails.

God, you know what....I could go on and on, but for now, that's it. Maybe more tomorrow?

Oh, quick lesson on the US version AE86
-Different front bumpers that are 4 pieces and have an early and late model as well. Main difference is the size of the front grill.
-Different style rear bumpers that are 3 pieces instead of 1 like the JDM ones.
-LHD obviously.
-LSD was an option as well. I know since my GT-S doesn't have one but this guy that works two blocks from me has a GT-S as well and it has one.
-SR5 came with the 4AC, around 90 hp, if I remember right.

Also, to the person that mentioned the AE92. You were close about the engines and lifespan of it. It began in 1988 (I know, I had one) and ended in 1991. The early model came with the EXACT SAME 4AG as the AE86, but the 1990-91 came with the redtop high compression 16v 4AG.

Back