Alfa Romeo Giulia 2016

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 578 comments
Bad news: Alfa Romeo to discontinue the Quadrifoglio line of performance cars in North America after this model year.

Sad to see it go, but I'm not surprised. Abysmal dealership infrastracture, software issues early-on, lack of a manual option, dated interior, and a lack of marketing leading them to be overshadowed by M and AMG rivals are all responsible.

Last edited:
Sad to see it go, but I'm not surprised. Abysmal dealership infrastracture, software issues early-on, lack of a manual option, dated interior, and a lack of marketing leading them to be overshadowed by M and AMG rivals are all responsible.
I agree about these points, even if I love the interior because of its analogue nature. What annoys me about dealers is total lack of learning. Not just from 20th century, but AR is already in NA from 2014. So much time but no. Also european dealers are still quite behind competition after all this time.

I agree the interior is handsome on the Giulia though the lack of screens may look old school to some. I'm surprised that they never offered the manual stateside considering the USA has, ironically, become the last bastion of manual gearboxes and the only reason some manufacturers even offer them. I always wished that AF had offered something in between the meager 4 cylinder base models and the fire breathing 500hp QF. Something in the 350hp range would have been a really nice alternative to the M340i and C43AMG and S4 models out there.

The pedestrian models are dirt cheap now and I honestly think a Ti with a few mods (brake pads & fluids, tires, some weight reduction) might be a genuinely fun weekend hotlap car. The engines and transmissions seem robust and the chassis is absolutely brilliant.

Dang. Having owned a Ti Sport, the tech was so hard to live with. It was almost completely forgotten about cause of the driving experience, but not quite enough. Quadri's i thought would definitely make you forget about the interior though!!

I agree the interior is handsome on the Giulia though the lack of screens may look old school to some. I'm surprised that they never offered the manual stateside considering the USA has, ironically, become the last bastion of manual gearboxes and the only reason some manufacturers even offer them. I always wished that AF had offered something in between the meager 4 cylinder base models and the fire breathing 500hp QF. Something in the 350hp range would have been a really nice alternative to the M340i and C43AMG and S4 models out there.

The pedestrian models are dirt cheap now and I honestly think a Ti with a few mods (brake pads & fluids, tires, some weight reduction) might be a genuinely fun weekend hotlap car. The engines and transmissions seem robust and the chassis is absolutely brilliant.
I think that Giulia won't see 2026 and 300-350 HP variant is out. I think that AR does not have anything between 2.0 GME Turbo and 2.9 V6 TT, besides 330PS version that is in Maserati. I doubt it Maserati would allow that, even if it would be easier than taking a turbo off 2.9. F160 engine used in Maserati would be in 300-350 range but it's bigger than QV engine, it's dated and it would probably take sales away from Ghibli/QP that were kinda flop commercially. In 90s Alfa 155 had 2.0 TwinSpark and 2.5 V6 with same power and both are respected but those days of simillary powered turbo and NA variants are over now. There is also option for hybrid/EV but that would put it out of M340i/C43AMG/S4 bracket. Also no Puretech/Prince engines please Alfa please!

Another thing that gripes me about AR is lack of marketing for lower variants. I agree that pedestrian variants are amazing. I kinda miss the more restrained base variants because they widened the reach and made Giulia good alternative to 320/C200/A4 TST etc.

---------------------------

Diesel IMO is most underrated because 2.2 JTDm engine is very reliable. I've seen many 200k miles and plus, and many are diesels. JTDm is definetly sportier than TDI, CDI, BMW diesels, Ingenium (that one is also less reliable, and that turns me off to XE even if its behind Giulia on looks to me) etc. If I would buy Giulia, I would buy diesel. Favourite is of course Sprint facelift, but even Lusso with 150HP would be wonderful.

The Giulia will stick around for another generation, will debut in 2025... yet will be based on the new Charger. For reference, the 2025 Charger is more than two feet longer than the current Giulia. While it is very unlikely that the new Giulia will grow by that much, I do wonder if it will remain a compact sedan or move a segment up.

Maybe next Giulia will be 166 successor, interesting since it was bit of flop. Also previous big Alfas were not amazingly successful. If big Alfa appears I hope its not FWD.

Current Giulia still holds up against much younger competition and I believe it was fairly treated by AR itself (QV, GTA versions, also lower variants are great, facelifts were small but effective) besides marketing and lack of estate. Unless Lancia launches Dedra/Prisma/Lybra etc successor I see no internal competition for current size Giulia at all.

By those renderings just call it the Stelvio Coupe. Dont Stellantis have a small EV they can use to make a classic Giulia remake?

Calling it the Charger EV platform is a stretch. It's just the STLA Large platform, which has been known to underpin the Giulia and Stelvio replacements and the specs say cars built on that platform can be as short as 4.75m. That's around 12cm longer than the current Giulia, but the current Giulia is rather cramped, so I think it'd be a good move to make it a bit bigger. For reference, the current BMW 3 series is 4.71m long.

Latest Posts

Back