Car of The Month: April! - Build your own Racing Modification/Touring Car!

img_0518-jpg.411801

@GhostRider65's FR-S

Lap times - Best of 10 lap run. No TC.
Deep Forest (rev) - Driver didn't note time :dopey:
Trial Mountain - 1:30.291
Grand Valley Speedway - 1:57.351

Lap times - Best of 10 lap run. With TC.
Deep Forest (rev) - 1:19.265
Trial Mountain - 1:30.014 (-0.277)
Grand Valley Speedway - 1:57.487 (+0.136)

I know this is a drop down in tyre grades from what you are use to, so I'll take that into account and try not to be to harsh :)
To start of on a positive foot, Grand Valley Speedway was this car's salvation. I was not all that impressed by it's handling on Trial Mountain at all, but on the slightly flatter GVS it wasn't too bad. There was just too much "safety" built in to this tune to let it a good bit faster round here. There was just a hint of understeer on exit to some corners that could have been avoided with a bit more LSD accel, if you are going to use TC on this car with this tune, you could probably get away with running this a few clicks higher. But I don't think that is where this tune was really lacking.

IMO, and very noticably on TM of DF (rev) the springs are just way too soft for this car, especially with the added downforce of the flat floor. This is as close as I've ever come to saying something was no good, so please don't be offended, that's not my intention :) The balance of the springs I felt was not too bad, but they could do with stiffening up quite a bit (and perhaps a little more in the rear too, but that's my preference). The car was too easily unsettled, going over, bumps, kerbs and crests, just way too much body movement going on. I would think a front spring somwhere in the 8-9kgmm region and a suitable balance for it at the rear would be a lot better all-round 👍 But as I said, on the flater tracks it's not so much of an issue :)

The transmission did the job, and was still usable with no TC, but I felt it lacked just a little bit of punch in a couple of places (more due to gear selected for corners) but worked out well across the tracks.

I wouldn't say this was a bad tune, I'm sure for those use to racing with TC on (which I'm not really anymore)this will do better for them than I managed to get out of it. But of the two FR-S posted in this CotM, this is a distant 2nd place finisher for me I'm sorry to say :(. Although your brakes were better ;) 👍

:cheers:

Thank you Thorin Cain for your valuable and detailed information that me very helpful, i appreciate to have an objective opinion on a setting and i thank you for your summary and i am not offended and i prefer the franchise that is constructive for me !! Thanks again for your time and have tested the car !! :cheers:👍

I would also ask that you restrict tire choice to either Sports: Soft or Racing: Hard. This will also help with rankings.
All Tires (tuned on Comfort Soft)
Oops, I guess I overlooked the memo. Just realized this, I did test on Sports Soft/Racing Hard and it worked exactly the way I want though. I guess I should read more before doing. :lol: I really enjoy this car on Comfort Softs though.

Introducing the Shotaliema Black Panther BRZ Have fun Boys
trial-mountain-circuit_1-jpg.514082

trial-mountain-circuit_2-jpg.514083

trial-mountain-circuit-jpg.514084
OK, you got me curious :)

Whilst building, I came across a small error somewhere. The sheet says 1085kg @ 308hp, I have 1070kg @ 305hp following the instructions :confused: Looks like perhaps the hood and windows may be the issue. Should I remove them?... or take the weight saving over tbe power loss? I know which I'd pick :mischievous: but as there are places on the leaderboards at stake, I thought it best to give the tuners the final word :)

OK, you got me curious :)

Whilst building, I came across a small error somewhere. The sheet says 1085kg @ 308hp, I have 1070kg @ 305hp following the instructions :confused: Looks like perhaps the hood and windows may be the issue. Should I remove them?... or take the weight saving over tbe power loss? I know which I'd pick :mischievous: but as there are places on the leaderboards at stake, I thought it best to give the tuners the final word :)
Here is the weight reduction and ballast that you need to use for this tune.

Downforce - Set to 10
Ballast - Set 20kgs to Position 40
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Bonnet (Black)
Window Weight Reduction

Should reach 500PP when completed. :)

Here is the same tune but on my thread. Link here

Last edited:
Here is the updated resource that @Otaliema mentioned above.

Subaru BRZ S '12 (Shotaliema Tune)
(CoTM Version)

500PP
301 BHP
1050kgs
Weight Distribution 52:48

Sports Soft Tyres

NO Oil Change
Aero Kit Type B
Flat Floor Type A
Custom Rear Wing
- Type F-F-J
Height - Set to -5
Width - Set to -20
Standard Size Rims - OZ Racing Ultraleggera (Black)

Car Paint
Body - Panther-Black Metallic
Brake Callipers - Flame Red
Custom Rear Wing - Panther-Black Metallic

FC Suspension
F/R
85/84
5.50/8.65
5/3
8/6
2/4
0.2/0.8
-0.08/0.15

Racing Brake Kit
4/8

FC Transmission
(Reset to Default) - Once power parts applied
Set final gear to 3.850
Set max speed to 155mph (250kph)
1st 3.590
2nd 2.450
3rd 1.881
4th 1.516
5th 1.220
6th 1.010
Set final gear to 3.125
(Adjust final gear if required to suit alternative tracks)

FC LSD

7/16/10
Triple Plate Clutch
Carbon Prop Shaft

Set power limiter to 96.5%
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
High RPM Range Turbo Kit

Downforce - Set to 10
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Bonnet (Black)
Window Weight Reduction

Build the car as stated here to tune the transmission correctly. Once you have done this, add the additional power parts mentioned below. Do not try to alter any of the transmission settings with the exception of the Final Gear.

Engine Tuning Stage 1
Racing Exhaust

Tuned with TCS 1 and ABS 1 only but works very well with ABS 1 only.

@Otaliema and myself took our popular and fast Subaru BRZ and added a Flat Floor Car of the Month, Make your own race car replaced the rear wing with a big one and painted it black.

Introducing the Shotaliema Black Panther.

Here is the updated resource that @Otaliema mentioned above.

Subaru BRZ S '12 (Shotaliema Tune)
(CoTM Version)

500PP
301 BHP
1050kgs
Weight Distribution 52:48

Sports Soft Tyres

NO Oil Change
Aero Kit Type B
Flat Floor Type A
Custom Rear Wing
- Type F-F-J
Height - Set to -5
Width - Set to -20
Standard Size Rims - OZ Racing Ultraleggera (Black)

Car Paint
Body - Panther-Black Metallic
Brake Callipers - Flame Red
Custom Rear Wing - Panther-Black Metallic

FC Suspension
F/R
85/84
5.50/8.65
5/3
8/6
2/4
0.2/0.8
-0.08/0.15

Racing Brake Kit
4/8

FC Transmission
(Reset to Default) - Once power parts applied
Set final gear to 3.850
Set max speed to 155mph (250kph)
1st 3.590
2nd 2.450
3rd 1.881
4th 1.516
5th 1.220
6th 1.010
Set final gear to 3.125
(Adjust final gear if required to suit alternative tracks)

FC LSD

7/16/10
Triple Plate Clutch
Carbon Prop Shaft

Set power limiter to 96.5%
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
High RPM Range Turbo Kit

Downforce - Set to 10
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Bonnet (Black)
Window Weight Reduction

Build the car as stated here to tune the transmission correctly. Once you have done this, add the additional power parts mentioned below. Do not try to alter any of the transmission settings with the exception of the Final Gear.

Engine Tuning Stage 1
Racing Exhaust

Tuned with TCS 1 and ABS 1 only but works very well with ABS 1 only.

@Otaliema and myself took our popular and fast Subaru BRZ and added a Flat Floor Car of the Month, Make your own race car replaced the rear wing with a big one and painted it black.

Introducing the Shotaliema Black Panther.

I already tested it, but the weight and power may be off just slightly.

@randyrockstiff reviews:

BMW Z4 537pp RH - Trial Mountain
Gears are a little long for this track, but nicely setup.
Rear could get loose on exit but not bad.
Easy to learn, kept getting quicker.
Good brakes, touch of throttle control needed.
But fun.
Best lap 1:30809

Golf GTi V 500pp SS - Deep Forest Reverse
Really Good tune, fast for front wheel drive here.
FF understeer present, but minimal.
Easy to be consistent, Good grip, nice tranS.
LSD Accel good, but could be a touch lower in my opinion.
Best lap 1:31.692

M3 coupe '07 579pp RH - Grand Valley Speedway
Good maneuverability.
Could get loose off, maybe the stuff rear springs?
Might help to turn LSD Initial up to 8-10
Fast, but hard on the front tires when pushed.
All in all a fun drive
Best lap 1:52.936

@DaBomm4 Golf VI R review:

550pp SS - Trial Mountain
Easy in, fast out works best and takes advantage of great exit launch.
Easy to get power down, holds line nicely over the bumps.
Little snug in the center, but smooth when right.
Too much rear grip to slide like you did in your pic ;)
Best lap - 1:30.315

Brief reviews:

Took @shaunm80 's Audi TT '03 out on SSR11, and got 3:06.775. This car... just feels anaemic power wise. I know he worked with what he got, but it feels like it belongs to a lower powered class. Maybe it's because I'm so used to faster cars, but in defence, it's an okay car. I can't see it as a class killer, but maybe a decent one-make racer instead.

Also, took his VW Golf V to Trial Mountain and got 1:32.641. Let me just get this out of the way: you'd NEVER think this was a track car. If this car pulled up beside me on the street, if give it a thumbs up. This car feels just right; the power feels just right, it rides just fine, and it's not going to kill you. It won't set the leaderboards on fire, but it's a cool little cruiser.

Brief reviews:

Took @shaunm80 's Audi TT '03 out on SSR11, and got 3:06.775. This car... just feels anaemic power wise. I know he worked with what he got, but it feels like it belongs to a lower powered class. Maybe it's because I'm so used to faster cars, but in defence, it's an okay car. I can't see it as a class killer, but maybe a decent one-make racer instead.

Also, took his VW Golf V to Trial Mountain and got 1:32.641. Let me just get this out of the way: you'd NEVER think this was a track car. If this car pulled up beside me on the street, if give it a thumbs up. This car feels just right; the power feels just right, it rides just fine, and it's not going to kill you. It won't set the leaderboards on fire, but it's a cool little cruiser.
Thanks for the review. Yes, the TT '03 is a little on the slow side but it was a new car that fitted the spec of this thread. There was no power band that this car fitted into really but I gave it a good go. I am glad that you like the Golf mark V by the way. You summed up the style of my tuning perfectly. I would be happy with a 1.32 at 500PP around trial mountain in an FF car. Its never going to beat an Integra toe to toe but for fun and calmness, Ill take this car every time. :)

Brief reviews:

Which tires did you use? Want to be sure and add to the correct list.

Thanks

Back