• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,834 comments
SVX
25114728176_25c0923665_c.jpg

24510163484_ac3fbb2cbb_c.jpg

25022483972_cda692b54f_c.jpg

24513669863_8e43837285_c.jpg

24513437653_07cca9fd35_c.jpg
What was the shutter speed on these? I've been wanting to practice panning and rolling shots.

Took this sequence of shots the other day from our boat, I was using my Father-in-laws Sony A-500 dslr with an old Minolta 100-300 lens that is pretty soft @300mm and slow to focus. I didn't know my way around the camera and was in single shot mode (i think) I really regret not having my own camera with me to shoot this at 8 fps. The Bald eagle population seems to be growing on this river that runs about 1/4 mile from our house so hopefully I'll have more opportunities.

Eagle in flight

DSC00557.jpg

Eagle reaching for fish

DSC00558-1080.jpg

Eagle flys away with fish

DSC00559.jpg

I've temporarily postponed working on my pictures from my trip to China, because I went to a car show today. On the way home, we drove past some cars so I tried to do some rolling shots.

DSC06732-279 by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC06735-280 by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC06756-284 by Harry Dang, on Flickr

Most of them came out blurry but these were the best. I had to shutter speed a bit too low for my hands. I also aimed a bit too angled backwards. I should've angled it more perpendicular to my car. But overall, I'm really satisfied for my first attempt.

(and yes, I did get something onto my camera's sensor. :banghead: :ouch:)

Excellent shots all ^^^ 👍

@ProjectWHaT I love these moving car shots, will have to try that out one day. What were your settings if you don't mind if you remembered on the ones that came out in focus and the background fast.:cheers:

@Mikeybc Awesome shots of the Eagle very jealous, the only bird near me in England is the Red Kite if you have them there, but they hover so high up, I think if I can zoom in that high on a sunny day that may come out great if luck is on my side and I spot one on a nice day! :indiff:

I have read you can take pictures through a telescope, has anyone done that?
I believe @Dennisch has done something like that. I will say that I'm skeptical about the results one could achieve by using a telescope because I doubt the glass inside is anywhere near as good as what goes into camera lenses, even cheap ones.

By the way, I like the lighting on your fourth one; a little overexposed and diffusing the light would have made the effect even nicer, but I understand why that would have grabbed your attention.

Trying to get back into photography the way I used to be by going through my older pictures for some inspiration. Here are some of my favorites over the years... dunno if they're any good or I just think they are due to the memories attached to them. Either way, enjoy. I can handle criticism. :dopey:

Going back as far as 2009 (before this it was mostly generic car photos). During start of Bullrun in New York City:
3713262856_aa5d18dc90_b.jpg

ALMS 2009 at Lime Rock Park. Did this for fun and it ended up on the Flying Lizard website:
3770410321_aab8561bf3_b.jpg

2010: I was so into the car photography at one point a Ferrari owner asked me to do a shoot. Sadly it was the last time this would happen.
5065800871_678ea1635d_b_zpsjj8ywbor.jpg

2012, I started getting more interest in city/ landscape stuff:
6824503569_68dff30e8b_b.jpg

6824497361_75f616b6c5_b.jpg

And people:
8566186190_1a1b2acf5a_b.jpg

Then I started doing some travelling:
8384363511_f773988713_b_zpseigbnvuu.jpg

8622618275_3ee8298cfb_b.jpg

8417876187_961f3cfa37_b.jpg

9626510014_d7a8d987af_b_zpsdpxfsbbp.jpg

9622856295_600255f495_b.jpg

12941123234_18ab7f05f6_b.jpg

14974082315_c2e27c1449_b.jpg

Last edited:
@SPhilli911 I can offer some feedback on a few:

First one: A good idea, and I think the scene lends itself to black and white, but the toning is a bit too flat for my tastes. I personally think you should have gotten slightly closer to the car, as it took me a moment to realize that the car was even there. The lens flare, while fun, contributes to both of those nitpicks I have.

I also would have placed the car a bit closer to the center as well, because it looks to me like the car was placed where it is for the sole purpose of following the rule of thirds.*

Second one: Solid action shot; complete separation between the 911 and the F430 really helps and the rumble strip forms a line that draws the eye across the frame from one car to the other. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it really completes the shot. A slower shutter speed to show more motion would have been nice but I know that can be tricky to do.

All that said, this would have been much better in full color or full black and white, selective color is something I absolutely detest.*

Third one: Great use of wide-angle here, colors are nice and vibrant, the road leads off into the distance in a pleasing way, and the positioning of the cars is well done too. There's a very professional feel to this image, I can imagine a similar shot on a magazine cover.

Fifth one: The colors are very good here, and the birds in motion are a small detail I appreciate, separating this photo from many similar images I've seen before. The vignetting is a little distracting though.

Overall, there's some really solid stuff here. I hope what I've said is helpful and can provide some ideas for future work.

*Please don't take offense to those two points, it's nothing personal or anything, just two choices I see very frequently that are distinctly amateurish in my eyes. People should, of course, be allowed to experiment and try new things, but those who never move past clichés such as these will be limited by them.

@SPhilli911

Overall, there's some really solid stuff here. I hope what I've said is helpful and can provide some ideas for future work.

*Please don't take offense to those two points, it's nothing personal or anything, just two choices I see very frequently that are distinctly amateurish in my eyes. People should, of course, be allowed to experiment and try new things, but those who never move past clichés such as these will be limited by them.
Thank you, and no offense taken, I appreciate the feedback. Early on I tried many different things, like selective color, that I no longer do. To be fair, I do have a full color version of that Flying Lizard shot, but I never liked it so much due to the lack of motion blur. But I can see how things like that are amateurish. I feel the same way about black and white photography just for the sake of being "artsy", although I do have a few black and white pictures myself, sometimes it works.

To be honest, I've always just considered photography a hobby or a means to capture my own personal memories only and I don't believe I have an eye for truly good photos. I don't intend to be a pro ever, but I want to learn how to operate my DSLR to it's maximum capabilities eventually. I did recently buy a new camera after a 2 year break and I'd very much like to take more photos and post them here for feedback.

Thanks!

I don't believe I have an eye for truly good photos.
And that's the thing that requires practice. Learning how different settings on your camera change the final image is cake, from there it's all about seeing well. I don't think there are many people that instinctively know what looks good from the first time they pick up a camera, and those few that are born with such natural talent still have room to improve. Even if you intend to use the camera as a memory-keeping device rather than an art/money making tool, a well-trained eye is going to make better pictures every time whether you mean to or not.

Besides, you posted enough pictures that either fall into the categories of "Good" or "Good Idea" that I think you have a better eye than you give yourself credit for. It's my opinion that a lot of people have "the eye", it's just most don't ever train it.

Anyway, I'm glad I could be helpful, and I look forward to seeing more of your photos. As long as you - or anyone in this thread, for that matter - continues putting up work, I'll continue forcing my dumb opinion upon them providing feedback in the best way I can.

@ProjectWHaT Great over head shots where were they taken from another building or a helicopter! :cheers:
P.S You don't live near that lovely coastline & beach ? (very jealous if you do & of all your spare change:D)

@ProjectWHaT Great over head shots where were they taken from another building or a helicopter! :cheers:
P.S You don't live near that lovely coastline & beach ? (very jealous if you do & of all your spare change:D)
Thanks, they were taken in Chicago on top of the John Hancock Tower. I was there before my flight to China. I've still got a lot of Chicago pictures to sift through lol.

I get really inspired by this guy's architecture photos.

DSC00943-45-2
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01355-192-2
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01626-9
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01659-28
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01668-32
by Harry Dang, on Flickr
This was the hotel I was staying at. :eek:

DSC00954-52-2 by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC00989-70-2 by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC00887-15-2
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC00893-19-2
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC00921-32-2
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01301-168-2
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm really really proud of these photos. They're probably the best I've ever took.

DSC01833-7
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01873-35
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01932-69
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01939-74
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01894-48
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC02339-56
by Harry Dang, on Flickr