American Le Mans Series Season 3

  • Thread starter Thread starter gogatrs
  • 3,973 comments
  • 135,326 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
elitedriver123
Grand Valley is better :sly:

Meh.

It was 7 here the other day! :scared:

Tsukuba could be like our Lime Rock Park! :p
 
Last edited:
The Florida weather has been rather annoying lately. Cold at night, warm during the day. I never have any idea what to wear when I leave my apartment.

(sigh) :( first world problems.
 
]

Tsukuba could be like our Lime Rock Park! :p

129735869161.jpg
 
Come on! It's a short track!
 
Cowboys965
Come on! It's a short track!

If we were to do Lime Rock, it would probably be Autumn Ring Mini.
 
gogatrs
If we were to do Lime Rock, it would probably be Autumn Ring Mini.

But Tsukuba has a straight, chicane, two turns, another turn, and missing one but then straight!
 
If we were to do Lime Rock, it would probably be Autumn Ring Mini.

Theres no track in GT5 that even comes close to Limerock. Limerock is an all out pedal to the metal 39 seconds a lap rollercoaster ride of a track! Absolute mayhem!! I just love it!!
 
How do you guys feel about tire wear? I dont like it at all! I mean, I can run fine on S1 but throwing out S2 and S3 is totally BS.

What do you guys think about turning off wear and fuel? Having a mandatory pit window that will stay open for two or three laps? If you miss the window a time penalty for each lap missed.

I dunno, just throwing stuff out there.
 
Whats the point of pitting then? If your not getting tires or fuel then its pointless to mandate a pit stop.
I guess were stuck with tire and fuel on.
 
Last edited:
Jav
Theres no track in GT5 that even comes close to Limerock. Limerock is an all out pedal to the metal 39 seconds a lap rollercoaster ride of a track! Absolute mayhem!! I just love it!!

Thats sort of why I like Tsukuba, fast paced track :)

And I think more stops = What Pirelli did to F1 - more pits, more interesting
 
I think we all just need to get used to the new tire wear and change our strategy accordingly. :rolleyes:
 
I tested the new new tire model a bit. Online Private Lobby, Nurburgring GP/F. Calsonic stock power (518hp/610PP), 8 laps. To make it easy for me, I used a RH tire setup for both "races". Also to make it comparable, I didn't push hard in any of the races, but just tried to drive smooth but effective.

RS tires, 1 stop: 15min 41 sec
RH tires, 0 stop; 15min 48 sec

RS tires: Best lap time 1'53.3, worst lap 1'53.9 (lap 8)
RH tires: Best lap time 1'56.4, worst lap 1'59.4 (lap 8)

The RS tires had a little more the 50% left on them at the end of each stint, but were still delivering almost as good lap times as fresh. There was probably at least another two laps in them without laptimes going too high.

The RH tires had a little less than 50% left in them and lap times was increasing with each lap. If regulation would have stated RH only, it was probably time for a pitstop fairly soon.

At the last lap, the RS tires was 5.5 seconds faster. At 8 laps, the RS tires was 7 sec faster even if it had to do a pit stop. If the race would have been 2 laps longer, the RS tires would "win" with about an aditional 10-12 seconds, making them nrearly 20 seconds faster for the race. If the race would have been 6 laps, the RS tires could easily make it without a stop. If long races, RS tires will be faster at any lap combination.

I then modified the setup to more suit RS tires. Best lap was a 1'52.2, tires lasting 7 laps, last lap being in the 1'56, same as fresh RH tires. RS tires heat up slower than before, doesn't get completetely white, and get to its warmest when worn down to around 75% left. I previously done 1'49.8 in a 610PP GTR (no tuning restrictions however), so best laptimes are slower than before, at least what i got in this short test.

So unfortunately it doesn't work as we hoped. That RS or RH would post similar race time, RH being slower but making it up in fewer stops. Bummer.

Here's a good test from another thread regarding the new tire wear. :crazy:
 
Whats the point of pitting then? If your not getting tires or fuel then its pointless to mandate a pit stop.
I guess were stuck with tire and fuel on.

Point well taken. I just want it to go back to normal again. :(
 
Point well taken. I just want it to go back to normal again. :(

Trust me, you are not the only one! It's just stupid!
On the GT1 cars we are looking at 10 laps maximum from RH for the next race!
 
I just dont see how they did it.

Kaz: So how are the new tire models looking?
Programmer: We took care of the Racing Softs problem. You can now only go around the track 3 times max.
Kaz: Excellent, just like in real life. Get the update out ASAP!!!...Dont forget about the greeting card that must pop up every time you go into GT Life!!!
 
So RS tires lack tire life, and RH lack tire grip?

Sorry, just clarifying. I have a bit on my mind..
 
I mean, we could start requiring racing hards. The thing is IMO racing hards don't really lack too much grip, if we're going for simulation. It will slow everyone down, but after a small adjustment it just means slightly slower lap times. They aren't necessarily any more difficult to drive on. I don't see a lot of traction problems on warm racing hards, just needing to take it slower through corners.

In mitch's super gt series we used hards and the cars were more powered than the current gt2 cars we run here. I didn't have too many problems and it was actually kind of fun. Racing softs are more like qualifiers at this point, given the new tire system.

Just a thought. Allow softs for qualifying, get rid of them for racing. Or standardize hards so that people using softs will likely lose based on the extra pit stops.

But honestly, I'm not opposed to more simminess. I like tires that adjust the ocean tides when you corner, but as long as we're all on equal ground I don't care.

Also, TCU won tonight. I'm now 2 and 3 in my picks due to the last two super-close games. Maybe they should take back Marshall's win after that stupid post-game fight, make me 3 and 2 :)
 
I just dont see how they did it.

Kaz: So how are the new tire models looking?
Programmer: We took care of the Racing Softs problem. You can now only go around the track 3 times max.
Kaz: Excellent, just like in real life. Get the update out ASAP!!!...Dont forget about the greeting card that must pop up every time you go into GT Life!!!
LMAO!!!
So RS tires lack tire life, and RH lack tire grip?

Sorry, just clarifying. I have a bit on my mind..
More like, Softs are out of the question, hards lack the grip and still wear too fast!

I mean, we could start requiring racing hards. The thing is IMO racing hards don't really lack too much grip, if we're going for simulation. It will slow everyone down, but after a small adjustment it just means slightly slower lap times. They aren't necessarily any more difficult to drive on. I don't see a lot of traction problems on warm racing hards, just needing to take it slower through corners.

In mitch's super gt series we used hards and the cars were more powered than the current gt2 cars we run here. I didn't have too many problems and it was actually kind of fun. Racing softs are more like qualifiers at this point, given the new tire system.

Just a thought. Allow softs for qualifying, get rid of them for racing. Or standardize hards so that people using softs will likely lose based on the extra pit stops.

But honestly, I'm not opposed to more simminess. I like tires that adjust the ocean tides when you corner, but as long as we're all on equal ground I don't care.

Racing hards are fine up to Super GT cars, anything over that range of hp or heavier just needs the Racing Softs, trying to keep a GT1 car on the road while saving tires is now a joke! I don't wanna imagine what the LMP1 Peugeots are like!
 
Come to think of it, when I took the Ford GT for a drive in a random lobby, I just could not drive it anymore when I completed only half of Nordschleife. Tire life wasn't the problem. It was like a huge grip spike. Before the patch I was able to drive fine.
 
In general I notice that tire wear is not uniform. It feels like it gets to certain levels and then adjusts at those levels; then suddenly you have like a third less grip. In other words grip seems to disappear in a step-ladder fashion in chunks.

At least that's what it has seemed like the last few races for me. It could be my ballast placement at the rear that makes it that way, though.

I also don't know how it works after the patch, though.
 
In general I notice that tire wear is not uniform. It feels like it gets to certain levels and then adjusts at those levels; then suddenly you have like a third less grip. In other words grip seems to disappear in a step-ladder fashion in chunks.

At least that's what it has seemed like the last few races for me. It could be my ballast placement at the rear that makes it that way, though.

I also don't know how it works after the patch, though.

It has always been like that, obviously it was much more progressive and with the fuel consuming at about 1/2 to 1/3 of a tank per set of tires you didn't notice such a drastic reduction on grip. The more I think about it the more I feel like turning the wear off is the only real alternative...
 
Why is everyone ignoring Racing Mediums? Have any tests been done with those?
 
rb26x
Why is everyone ignoring Racing Mediums? Have any tests been done with those?

I tried, didn't get to test a full-stint though, did seem grippy on the 458.
 
Last edited:
Why is everyone ignoring Racing Mediums? Have any tests been done with those?

Since I'm bored, I'm doing Suzuka 1000km (suspended at the moment). I'm using a Super GT NSX at 490 HP. On my first stint I started off with RM tires. I tried to be as smooth & consistent as possible on all stints. The tires only lasted around 9 laps. Then I tried RH tires on my 2nd stint, and only lasted a lap longer. Both tires lost their effectiveness when the fuel reached to around 75%. I may have to test it out before patch 2.02 to compare.

On later stints I deliberately spun out majorly to see how it will affect it under rare stress. RH tires lasted around 8 1/2 laps, while RM tires lasted around 7 1/2 laps.

Concluding from the data I will say RS tires will last 8 laps under consistency and 6 1/2 laps under rare stress. If I can I'll create a graph illustrating the wear over the stints.
 
I might do the enduro's, but maybe I will get a game for Christmas! :dopey:

Doubt it though. Don't need one lol
 
I might do the enduro's, but maybe I will get a game for Christmas! :dopey:

Doubt it though. Don't need one lol

If you want you can start on Nurburgring 4hr and take note on tire wear on RH, RM, and RS tires on a ALMS-homologated car. Perhaps the 458, but it's your decision. It's best to have the car completely at default, meaning no tuning, but extra parts are welcome like aero kits. You may wish to leave the power limiter to current restrictions.
 
elitedriver123
If you want you can start on Nurburgring 4hr and take note on tire wear on RH, RM, and RS tires on a ALMS-homologated car. Perhaps the 458, but it's your decision. It's best to have the car completely at default, meaning no tuning, but extra parts are welcome like aero kits. You may wish to leave the power limiter to current restrictions.

Did it already, might do Suzuka, as it's the only non 9+ hour enduro I have left.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back