ANY limits to completing the game, at all !?

Cuba
Miami, FL, CUBA
mistamontiel00
Ok..I gone thru 3 races..and I'm tryna figure out if it's good to save.

I read thru the whole FAQ and the game is so confusing. All the icons, everything is a blur.

It keeps saying after a race that I can enter RIV if I do such and such. What the heck is RIV ??

And as for limits..EVERY race, pretty much no matter what, I lose Enthu points. I'm not worried about it cuz I know I can get them back by knocking out a week and using Rest, but do I run out of time ?? Or I'll never run out of races before the big final one, for rank 1 spot ?? From what I read, getting Rank 1 means beating out the game.

I'm more of a GT expert, so I bump cars occassionally. The thing that's REALLY wrong, is that if you're in the lead, not sure what speed to take a corner at, if your opponents hits you FROM BEHIND, you STILL lose points. So what the heck ?? Am I doing alright here ?? Is this really that easy ?? Please respond so I know I can save it, l0l0l0l, thanks !! 👍

Last edited:
IIRC, if they bump you on a side panel at all, you're at fault and lose points (which is a bit silly, yes). You can basically "win" at your own speed and your own level of challenge, where winning is defined as becoming King of the Year (or some title like that) and getting ranked #1.

If you want a lot of challenge, enter races with much higher class cars than yours. (And stick with a car long enough to tune it up fully, as it will then be able to challenge cars about 2 classes up from it). You can potentially score a lot more rank from entering a more difficult race than you can from entering one with cars closer to your own level.

Personally, I kind of like the challenges better than the racing part. Some of the challenges are a blast to try and get an "S" score on. But that is not to say there is not some enjoyment to be derived from the career mode. Just don't expect fireworks when you're through.

BTW, you can turn the "blur" mode off. And once you get used to the little weight balance graphic, it's hard to live without! It really helped me improve my driving of mid-engine cars, for example.

Yeh, I think that's how I started. I start with the crap with the most horses, that little Mazda. I was lucky to unlock the Esprit, then that Stratos. But didn't save..the races are constantly randomized so I learned that one the hard way xD

What I HAVE to know is, sometimes I get too lazy and I feel retiring the race is worse. But if I ruin my Enthu points and lose it all, I have to Rest then race again. I can do that countless times, and never get a Game Over ?? xD If that's the case I'll never be afraid to save.

That sucks too, you can't have a garage, absolutely CANNOT. They "tune" for you, but I never get more horses. With Level 2 Tuning, not yet..when I unlock a ride and try to pick it, when I look at mine again it's already "Special" and tuned, but I guess you can't get it back once you get your new ride..

Last time I played this game was about 2 years ago, but I'll try to clear out some of your doubts.

It keeps saying after a race that I can enter RIV if I do such and such. What the heck is RIV ??

That is a Race-Class in ENTHUSIA LIFE (EL) mode. IIRC, you start at R I, then R II, then R III, then R IV, and the hardest class of races is RS.

You must understand that this game, in EL mode, works according to a "calendar". In that "calendar", you have "weeks" and you can do one race per week.

Weekly races from R I to R IV are randomly picked and you can choose one of several presented to you (can't remember how many, I think they are 5)

In RS, however, you have a pre-fixed calendar and you have one race per week. Last week of the year you get the allmighty "KING OF THE YEAR RACE", at the Nordschleife.

To be able to race in the "next" class of races, you must reach a pre-defined slot in the rankings (again, this is what I remember).

How do you move up the rankings? By your results, of course, but there's a catch. It's the last TWELVE results that count.

Also, the points you get in each race depend, of course, of your finishing position, but in Enthusia (and this is another of the reasons why I still love this game), that ISN'T ENOUGH. The game takes into account two other very important aspects:

1 - How clean you were (and yes, it's annoying to lose points because of the AI, but that's life, remember Sutil being rear-ended by Kimi in Monaco last year :D )

2 - How does your car compare to the opposition. When you chose the race to enter (of those available in each week), you have a number below each of the possible races "check box". That number represents the odds of your car. The higher they are, the hardest is the opposition.

But this is very important, because the points given in that race are, after you finish it, multiplied by that "odds" number.

So, (as an example) if a race gives you 500 points for 1st place and 300 points for second place, if you win it with the odds set at 3.0 you will win 1500 points (500 x 3.0) . But if you finish 2nd with the odds set at 10.0, you will get 3000 points (300 x 10.0).

This system is set in a way that will indeed make it impossible for you to move up the ranking using supercars to crush the opposition.

And as for limits..EVERY race, pretty much no matter what, I lose Enthu points. I'm not worried about it cuz I know I can get them back by knocking out a week and using Rest, but do I run out of time ?? Or I'll never run out of races before the big final one, for rank 1 spot ?? From what I read, getting Rank 1 means beating out the game.

You'll never run out of time, when one year ends, a new one begins. About resting, you don't need to do that on your own. You will be forced to rest rest in one of two occasions:

a) you got totally depleted of Enthu points. The game will force you to a rest.

b) you change car. That also will make you lose a weekly race.

And you do not "Beat" this game by reaching position 1 in the rankings (nothing happens when you get that, so don't be dissapointed when you are waiting for a podium ceremony and the game keeps as if nothing happened). That would be too easy :D . You "beat" (at least, the EL mode) it by winning the KOTY race. That's not easy, I tell you, and you'll probably lose loads of Enthu points trying it.

Besides, you can only try it every 52th race of each year, unless you cheat and don't save the game after you ended the race.

You will need to be prepared for the KOTY race. To be able to enter it, you'll need to reach the final week of each year placed at least 6th in the rankings. To be able to win it, you'll need a good "road" car, but don't pick a supercar, or else that's what the AIs will pick also and they'll crush you. Try something like the BMW M3.

I'm more of a GT expert, so I bump cars occassionally. The thing that's REALLY wrong, is that if you're in the lead, not sure what speed to take a corner at, if your opponents hits you FROM BEHIND, you STILL lose points. So what the heck ?? Am I doing alright here ?? Is this really that easy ?? Please respond so I know I can save it, l0l0l0l, thanks !! 👍

GT experts got used to win races and get their trophies/championships with reckless driving, bumping their way up to first place (I'm not bashing you or anyone, that was my "driving school"also before I played Enthiusia). This game is different and will make you a better driver (even in games). About the AIs, they're still better than what GT gives us, but they're far from perfect. Live with it, it's not that hard. :)

IIRC, if they bump you on a side panel at all, you're at fault and lose points (which is a bit silly, yes). You can basically "win" at your own speed and your own level of challenge, where winning is defined as becoming King of the Year (or some title like that) and getting ranked #1.

Just a slight correction and I'm saying this by memory so I'm not completely sure. If your car and a AI car touch side by side you'll only lose points if your car is touching the other with it's front-side panel (from the door onwards).

Again, getting rank #1 means nothing to the game. You will beat it by winning the KOTY race, regardless of ranking position.

That sucks too, you can't have a garage, absolutely CANNOT. They "tune" for you, but I never get more horses. With Level 2 Tuning, not yet..when I unlock a ride and try to pick it, when I look at mine again it's already "Special" and tuned, but I guess you can't get it back once you get your new ride..

You have a garage, you just don't "Buy" cars, but all you unlocked are there for you to use. Some of the tuning levels give you more power, some give you more grip (better tyres) and some (again, IIRC), make your car lighter.

However, each car "levels up" independently so when you change to a car you never used before, you will drive it at Level 1.

I used to get rid of each car and move on to another as soon as I got it to Level 10. Therefore, when (and if) I was able to enter the KOTY race, I had plenty "Level 10" cars to chose from.

Hope this cleared some of your doubts, have fun! 👍

Great, so the car you start with and all the others you unlock/level up, stick around. But when you change cars you're a week closer to KOTY.

So at least rank 6 and the KOTY is available, by the end of the year :P Kick ass, thanks yo !!

Great, so the car you start with and all the others you unlock/level up, stick around. But when you change cars you're a week closer to KOTY.

So at least rank 6 and the KOTY is available, by the end of the year :P Kick ass, thanks yo !!

If I remember correctly, you unlock cars in the Free Race mode, not Enthusia mode. They are then available for you to use in Enthusia mode.

Changing cars costs you a week of potential Enthu points. This may or may not matter depending on your other results. The quickest way to advance in the Enthusia mode is to stick to a car & level it up through getting good results.

If I remember correctly, you unlock cars in the Free Race mode, not Enthusia mode. They are then available for you to use in Enthusia mode.

My memory may be fading, but I'm pretty sure EL-unlocking of cars is completely separated from the other two game modes (FR and DR).

Through completing all the DR stages (with "S" rating) you unlock all 211 cars the game has, and you can use those cars in FR.

If you didn't do DR at all, you can also unlock all cars in FR by doing the races with the game's default settings. In FR you unlock all the cars that end each race behind you (if they aren't unlocked already).

But neither of these cars is available in EL. When you start an EL career you have a few cars to choose from (I remember the MGB and the new Beetle among others) but nothing else.

In EL you unlock one car per race at the end of it by some sort of "roulette" system that can even give you no car at all (which is sadistic sometimes).

Changing cars costs you a week of potential Enthu points. This may or may not matter depending on your other results. The quickest way to advance in the Enthusia mode is to stick to a car & level it up through getting good results.

My advice is (in EL): stick to a car until it gets leveled to "10". Then drop it and choose another car. Keep doing this to get yourself a good garage, filled with maxxed-out cars.

But, If you get to December, are close to the top of the ranking and you like the car you're using ... keep it until you enter the KOTY race.

You're right Mario, now I remember: in FR you unlock all other cars in your race (as long as you win without a flag), in EL you get the "roulette", & hopefully get a new car.

Honestly, if you ask me, the game-play structure sucks. The basic idea behind EL is reasonable, but the execution is flawed.

"Leveling" up your car to the max makes it too easy to win most races.

The AI is too slow (except in the KOTY race).

The AI is too stupid.

In order to avoid any kind of contact with other cars, you have to hang back on what are reasonable passing opportunities, which makes the close-racing uninteresting.

There is no "look-back", or "side" view, making close-racing without contact even harder.

You need a PHD in mathematics to follow what is going on!

On the other hand, the physics in EPR really are very good, & driving is very interesting & challenging. However, for me, that mostly means Time Trials, or setting up races in FR mode. Too bad it's not possible to race online.

Hun200kmh I wanna focus on unlocking all 211 cars to enjoy all the physics the game has to offer, even if they're all stock and have nothing to do with career mode.

So, you're saying I need default SETTINGS. I HAVE to use assists ?? I thought you meant by lap number.

Everytime it asks you for number of laps, it's highlighting 3.

I just did a 1 lapper on Rev City with the rally Subaru and it didn't seem to care. I didn't get ANY penalty whatsoever and I didn't unlock anything..so how does that work again in Free Racing ??

mistamontiel, I'm replying here instead of PM because here anyother interested player will be able to read it.

About unlocking cars and tracks in FR, I suggest you read post #2 in the FAQ thread stickied at the top of this forum. In short, do the races in FR without changing any of the deafault settings (don't change: number of laps, the cars on the grid, the AI setting).

I don't think driving assists (ABS, TCS ... ) matter. However, keep it real and choose "Recommended" when the game starts. That way, you get the cars as they are in real life (the ones that have ABS will have it in the game, the ones that don't have it IRL don't have it in the game).

However, if I were you, I would instead unlock the cars in DRIVING REVOLUTION mode. It's great fun and, if you complete all levels with "S" grade, you'll get all the 211 cars available to race in FR.

Hope this helped!

Hey, thanks man. I'm STILL puzzled because, it never asked me for AI difficulty. NEVER..it's like GT for me..unless I need to go in Options. As long as I don't need to use assists, or especially Automatic for sure I'll be glad to unlock 5 cars at a time thru Free Racing.

I thought I'd be stuck in Driving Revolution..the Miata was worrying me..

I figured it out, you don't have to get every marker PERFECT, but I think if you get TWO GREAT it's not enough and you'll get the A rank rather than S.

Well...yeah, it's better using the Driving Revolution. It's more fun and all about car control.
When you get the last S on...er...Löwenseering, you will feel like you got an achievement.

Mistamontiel, my playing time was completely absorbed by Enthusia back in 2005, 2006 and (to a lesser extent) 2007.

That's why, after two years without playing it, I still remember a lot. In my mind, there's absolutely no doubt Enthusia was and will forever remain the BEST driving/racing game for the PS2.

Quite ironic, considering I arrived here at gtplanet because I was a GT 3 fanboy ;)

Anyway, doing a trip down "memory lane" I found a few of my 4-year old threads that might be useful to you, since you are now starting the game. I think you'll find that my initial doubts and questions were the same you now have, and you'll also find that, with the help of several other EPR-veterans, they all were cleared, responded.

Here they are, by the order they were initially posted:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64320 - EPR: my review (so far)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64776 - Unlocking tracks

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65167 - How to unlock the BMW M1 and 3.0 CSL

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65385 - level 17 ... stage 4 ... "S" anyone ?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65628 - "This is not the end ..."

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68393 - (How to?) unlock reverse tracks for Time Attack

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67254 - Enthusia Life: From 1000 to 1st in 2 cars and five game months

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77213 - A few thoughts on a long EL career

Damn...I miss EPR so much. My copy is lost...but as GTPlanet is my witness, I'll play it again! Viva la Enthusia!

I figured it out, you don't have to get every marker PERFECT, but I think if you get TWO GREAT it's not enough and you'll get the A rank rather than S.
To get an 'S,' you must get GREAT or PERFECT on every single gate, and at least 80% of the gates must have been PERFECT. The scoring system is similar to DDR.

What's DDR ??

..boyyy I'll tell ya, I thought I made progress, but my last reward was the C roster.

I'm on Level 12, challenge 2 with that F1 Audi..Speediapolis Ring has epic music :D

It gets so hectic cuz by gate 34 there's the final line and I always slow down terribly. It can say GREAT and your gauge doesn't even fill up, ;[ It will give you frustration, but fun doing it l0l0l0l

Last edited:
What's DDR ??

Dance Dance Revolution, a rhythm game from Konami.

Where I left off, I used the fastest progression thru DR, some F1 racecar forgot what it is, you hit 200+MPH and you just release the throttle slightly to get thru all the gates

It's probably Level 8, challenge 2. The "Test Track", forgot what raceway it is, epic music :D

[OFFTOPIC]
Wait...F1? There aren't F1 in Enthusia. I think you mean LMP (Le Mans Prototype).

Compare:
F1:
12363744.jpg

LMP:
400041305.jpg

[/OFFTOPIC]

I forgot the post earlier..DDR and racing ?? How does that match ??

The ONLY music game/series I'll EVER love, like, the beat games FreQuency and Amplitude which really didn't get much recognition which sucks ass

I'm looking at it now..Level 12, woo I was way off. I still don't feel I made much progress tho.

SPEEDIAPOLIS RING. The car is an AUDI R8 TEAM GOH 2003.

I'm gonna get those last markers right, I'm not gonna brake at all, see if I can keep the line going >.<

I forgot the post earlier..DDR and racing ?? How does that match ??
Konami makes Dance Dance Revolution, and they styled Enthusia's Driving Revolution mode after their music game series. Only instead of stomping on arrows in beat with music, you swerve through gates at a specified speed. The scoring and letter grade system are also similar.

Back